Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

14 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Great shots Stquinta, we would have liked to have seen you parading around in your plus fours gracing the fairways but I imagine you were propped up at the Bar at the 19th 🤣

I said to a mate of mine once who wasn't a very good golfer ' why do you bother paying green fees, you're never on it'

I nearly bought some Donegal tweed plus fours, but novelty aside, I wouldn’t wear them much, unless it was to embarrass the kids 🤣

It costs a packet to play 180 - 200€, only a cuppla years back it was 118€. But then it hosted a big international tournament, and low and behold, the prices jumped 🤨

I just played on the short 9 holer instead, and (naturally) the 19th hole. 

• Like 3

I had a shocker today but my head wasn't really there after a good mate lost his battle with cancer yesterday. It was a 4BBB but my partner didn't have the greatest round either, we ended up with a 72 nett (+1). Back again on Monday off the white tees, hopefully will play better then. 

1643584035_Screenshot_20220423-180608_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dcd3c68ba9c7a852a0d4930705ee6629.jpg

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I had a shocker today but my head wasn't really there after a good mate lost his battle with cancer yesterday. It was a 4BBB but my partner didn't have the greatest round either, we ended up with a 72 nett (+1). Back again on Monday off the white tees, hopefully will play better then. 

Sorry to hear about your mate Otto, it's always tough, recently an old mate of mine who refused to give up smoking lost his other leg, 24 hours later he was gone. Surely by now you would think people would get it, don't smoke - anyone who smokes is a complete idiot !!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Sorry to hear about your mate Otto, it's always tough, recently an old mate of mine who refused to give up smoking lost his other leg, 24 hours later he was gone. Surely by now you would think people would get it, don't smoke - anyone who smokes is a complete idiot !!

Yeah it's tough with smoking. My dad has been a pack a day since he was 15. He is now 78. He tried to give up a couple of times and failed and the last time made him sick trying to give up. At 78 he might as well just ride the wave. Giving up would probably kill him.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Yeah it's tough with smoking. My dad has been a pack a day since he was 15. He is now 78. He tried to give up a couple of times and failed and the last time made him sick trying to give up. At 78 he might as well just ride the wave. Giving up would probably kill him.

My old man was a stubborn old bugger, he passed at 85 & smoked right up to the end. The Doctors said that is what killed him as he was otherwise healthy. 

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

sorry to hear  of your good mate  to Cancer .    it wouldnt have been easy to play , but sometimes its better to have a hit to take your mind off  things wether you played crap or great.  

i had a mixed day yesterday   started on the back 9  and was not a fun back 9  as this stuffed up the day for me but fought my way back into the game to get a respect score  , as yesterdays game was a board event being stroke.  which i think  was playing on my  mind for the 1st 9 holes as next week is stroke then 4 weeks of club champs being stroke 1 week for medal day stroke the following week is our captains putter another stroke rd..  which i think is 7 games of stroke.  7 weeks of it

my club  really dont think things through  or use their brains  

they could have started clubbies yesterday  and incorporated  yesterdays board event   + medal day  and Captains putter  all in 4 weeks
as  the 3 board events are stroke rds and not hard to work out  ...  captains putter is just remembering to count your putts  

7 games  of stroke  is way to much and taxing  and my club wonders why they don't get great turn outs   . they get told its to much for most , but the board come up with 101 excuses as to why.

i know myself  i won't be playing all stroke rds   

anyway getting back to my rd yesterday    my front 9 - 41   and back 9 - 56   for  gross of 97   and a nett  score of 74
if i  just had my back 9 on fire like the front  the day would have been different 

when you have a 8,7 and a 9 and a 7  on the card it made it very difficult  to come back from

• Like 3

Yeah, I just sorta had a I don't really care what I shoot day yesterday, and apart from my ever reliable 3 wood, a lot of the rest of my game was just off. Ball striking wasn't great with the irons, and I kept pulling it straight left, hit a few chips close but a few others nowhere near. 31 putts wasn't too bad though. 

It won't affect my handicap at least. 

• Like 2

I like Stroke rounds but 7 in a row is crazy.

Very average day yesterday, just not into it.

Ended with 29 but that included one great hole, Birdie 3, for five points.

Take that one hole out and it was a poor day.

Might go for a practice this arvo..

• Like 2

Had a better day today, finished tied 3rd in the comp and a NTP on 5.  Three birdies was nice, this one on 17 was a bit of an amusing one.  Nobody saw the tee shot but I found it more or less where I felt like I'd hit it. Second shot bounced off an irrigation lid beside the green and bounded over the back into the rough. Third shot was a little flop that landed exactly where I wanted it to on the fringe, then dribbled down the slope into the hole. Handicap down to 13.9 after that effort. 

1170654841_Screenshot_20220425-142109_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ea8eb5807a661fbd88bfab0772c7a36a.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers mate 🙂 yeah heading in the right direction, it's getting a little more difficult now though, next competition round will be next Monday labour day holiday, and I'll be off 12. I'm pretty happy with my tee shots, just need to tidy up the irons and stop leaking them right to hit more greens.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Had a better day today, finished tied 3rd in the comp and a NTP on 5.  Three birdies was nice, this one on 17 was a bit of an amusing one.  Nobody saw the tee shot but I found it more or less where I felt like I'd hit it. Second shot bounced off an irrigation lid beside the green and bounded over the back into the rough. Third shot was a little flop that landed exactly where I wanted it to on the fringe, then dribbled down the slope into the hole. Handicap down to 13.9 after that effort. 

1170654841_Screenshot_20220425-142109_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ea8eb5807a661fbd88bfab0772c7a36a.jpg

Only 1 3 putt. Thats where the game is won!!

Don't want to ask about the 4th. Looked like an adventure on that one after hitting the fairway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Only 1 3 putt. Thats where the game is won!!

Don't want to ask about the 4th. Looked like an adventure on that one after hitting the fairway.

Yeah and that was a long range first putt too, just didn't get it close enough and read break into the next one that wasn't really there. 

The 4th I hit the second into a greenside bunker. Normally I'm not too bad out of bunkers but this one I hit too clean, then had trouble chipping back up the hill to the green in some rather soft and spongy ground. Normally I would gone from bunker to green and made par or bogey. 

Oh well, apart from that it wasn't too bad, and I was happy with the -2 for the GIR holes. If I can hit more greens and improve my short game on the misses more I can definitely shoot lower. 

• Like 2

Played in an ambrose today with the social club, I think we were -2 (66) off the stick for a 55 nett score. There were a few temporary par 3s as the course we played is currently undergoing a major reconstruction. Eventually it'll be 36 holes like it used to be. It was pretty much old school golf playing by our eye as there were bugger all distance markers and nothing to reference hazards etc. I hit a few too long as a result. 

I pretty much treated it as a practice session for tomorrow's comp round and opportunity to check out this course as a few mates are members there. It'll be great once it's all done I reckon. The 3 wood was reliable as ever, and hit a few nice approaches with the mid-long irons, along with a couple of close chips. Didn't putt that great but I haven't played there in 20 years, and I probably wasn't taking it as seriously as usual being Ambrose. 

Looking forward to playing normal golf again tomorrow though. Public holiday up here.

• Like 1

Absolute stinker today. Couldn't find any sort of rhythm or timing with my swing, overall ball striking was pretty ordinary. Adjusted gross was 93, a year ago if I had a day like today it would have been well over 100. And after all that scrambling around I bloody birdie the 18th 🙄😂

Handicap unchanged at 13.9 but hopefully I'll play better next weekend in the monthly medal

1528019541_Screenshot_20220502-170218_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d431658e8d466d3d70dde05f9e30f5b5.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

I played Wednesday and Saturday, wasn't into it either day and the scores showed.

Hoping for a return to "the swing" in time for my next game tomorrow.

Handicap help at 18.4, need good scores for next 10 rounds to keep it in that range!

Must be the week for bad form. Although I did hit the ball better on Sunday when it mattered less. I have been dealing with some sort of hayfever type thing the last week or so which has been annoying and I haven't done as much practice and drills as I'd like. I'll probably delay my next lesson until I have a bit more money available but also have more time to work on the stuff from the last one. I still have a problem with cutting across the ball with irons instead of coming through from the inside more, the drills will help with this when I can do some. 

I'm not too worried about yesterday though, from experience it never usually lasts more than a round or two before I get back to my usual level. Too many wayward tee shots didn't exactly help, as well as landing in crappy lies for a lot of the chips onto greens. 

Unfortunately this time the opening hole was basically a sign of things to come. Well struck tee shot ruined by an overhanging branch. Got  back into play then put the third shot over the green, where it bounced off a cart path and ended in a worse position. Flubbed the pitch shot due to overly soft ground (the rain can feel free to just bugger off for a couple of months now), then missed a relatively easy putt. I have had a bad first hole before but come good after it, not this time. 

• Like 1

Agree one hole doesn't make or set a round. Good or Bad.

I always try to take each shot as I see it, forget the last shot and move on.

Doesn't always work but it's how I look at it.

Played the 14th, Index 1, dogleg right, on Saturday.

Hit a Cracker drive with a tail wind, expected to find the ball about 260m up the fairway.

Couldn't see it when we got close, waited for others to play their shots, moved up...

lot's of leaves on the fairway, still couldn't see it, one of the guys finds a ball on the edge.

I thought no, mine was heading for the middle but went to look, there was a ball in three inches of grass right on the tree line, it had the Black line from the manufacturer sticking up, thought it must be it.

As I putted out I noticed that it was the wrong brand of ball, both with the same black mark!!

Not happy, should have marked it back in the grass and checked to see if it was My ball.

Golf..

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I've probably done that before without realising too. It doesn't happen now because I use the pix balls and nobody else seems to, so it's pretty easy to identify it. 

Just done about 10 minutes on a drill in the backyard. At least I know what I need to do with the swing, essentially back and through on the same path, not back then move outward and come back inward (unless I want to cut the ball).

I have a pool noodle stuck on a couple of pieces of dowel to help with this. The idea is to set it up with my hands just under the end of it, and not hit it on the downswing. I'm also using a pretty common one swinging with a headcover under my left arm. It does feel different keeping that arm tucked in close, so clearly something is causing it to move out and resulting in a bad swing path.

20220430_115323(0).thumb.jpg.2278c4f75485d523b659bd1663b0c54f.jpg

• Like 2

Another wasted game of golf.

Couple of good holes but mostly ordinary to poor play.

My last four games have been 29, 28, 27, 26, Have to head up soon!

I'm feeling good about most of my game, just topping some shots and not scoring!

will have another practice today in between the rain.

• Sad 1

My mate's funeral was this morning, and after that I decided to go have a hit for a bit of practice for Saturday and keep up the work from yesterday's range session. I did hit my irons straighter which was nice, bit erratic off the tee but I suppose I wasn't fully concentrating like I usually do. 

Originally I was only gonna play 9 holes but I decided to see how many I could finish before it got too dark to see the ball. I did hit a tee shot on 18 but I couldn't see it at all so just walked straight up the fairway to the carpark and home. Reasonably happy with how I played although I did partially top a number of irons on the front 9. 

1622888038_Screenshot_20220505-181219_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2dc65a278ab29be7de62345dee678175.jpg

• Like 1