Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

Kelsey, I notice you use your 3 wood off the tee a lot. Or is that just on the holes from the photos? 

I am still a bit erratic with mine but the last couple of holes last Saturday showed there is potential there, I just have to let the club do the work, not try and overhit it. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GregT5 said:

Kelsey, I notice you use your 3 wood off the tee a lot. Or is that just on the holes from the photos? 

I am still a bit erratic with mine but the last couple of holes last Saturday showed there is potential there, I just have to let the club do the work, not try and overhit it. 

It's my driver at the moment until I can get the shaft replaced in the actual driver. Its shaft was fine when I bought it but it's too flexible for me now that I've improved my swing and sped it up. I hit the 3 wood as far or further sometimes as I was with the driver, and with far more control.

I have a 65g stiff flex (it's actually 67g according to the specs) in the 3 wood which my coach thought would suit me when I was trying out options with him recently in order to buy one, and it certainly does, so I'd imagine something similar would work well in the driver as well... just need to put some funds aside. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

well today was the 1st day of 7 saturdays full of storke

Today was 1st round of clubbies as well as medal round

it was not a great of golf from me, hit the ball like a spastic monkey, infact the spastic monkey would have played better.

rose the bat for 103 of the stick and a 81 nett   

my heart wasnt into it today , however i  played with the medal day winner who is 76 years of Age  and won with a score of 69 on a countback and his first medal in his 76 years of life.

the couse was in great conditions with perfect greens on a cold  victorian Autumn day.   i think the more i tried to get back into  a reasonable score it made things worse

oh well only 6 more weeks of stroke to go

• Like 4

An improvement of sorts today.  Monthly medal so a stroke round. Coming to grips with the driver and 3 wood finally.  I won't say I have it nailed but today was an improvement on recent weeks.  Shot 89 nett 76, finished 16th out of 69 starters. Could easily have been 4 or 5 strokes better if I didn't totally misread 3 greens.  A bit sad when we play each green twice.  We have 9 greens and 18 tees. On the 8th green I didn't allow for the hole being right on a ridge that runs down the centre of the green but I did exactly the same 9 holes later from pretty much the same place.

There's always next week.  Handicap is still 13.1

• Like 2

Also monthly medal for me today but didn't threaten anything with a 91/76, which was actually a 93 but they input a 4 on the 6th for some reason. Not that it makes any difference finishing T83 out of 162. Just couldn't get any momentum going, every time I made a par or two I'd completely butcher the next. I did hit a number of good iron shots but the radar wasn't quite there.  I put two into the water on 4 🙄Handicap dropped by 0.1 to 13.8. Not playing any more official rounds for a couple of weeks, next weekend I'm doing a BBQ on Saturday then a social club game Sunday. 

1885761623_Screenshot_20220507-194253_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f2f318e34fb9093f43aae6e4fefee94b.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 9:40 AM, DavidM said:

My last four games have been 29, 28, 27, 26, Have to head up soon!

Another day when I couldn't get into it.

Hit some great shots, missed lots, missed three putts from less than 2 feet!

And the downward trend continues, In order, 25.

Handicap out to 19.4

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

You were looking to get a new driver..

Did you get it and which one? if you don't mind sharing.

Bought a Cleveland Launcher XL. 10.5 degrees. Regular flex. The guy in the golf shop was going to sell me a Taylor Made Stealth until I told him the budget didn't stretch that far. This driver has reduced the rate of spin on my drives  so hopefully will straighten up my fade/slice.

• Like 2

Yes, most of my misses are Right, started golf as a huge slicer, have it more under control, most of the time now.

Of late, I've been topping the ball a lot, usually when I force it, trying to hard.

I'm always fighting the brain to stay in control.

As I get cold and tired, my swing goes for a holiday..

If I'm playing well, I'm better at staying in control.

As I get behind, I start to force things, even thou I'm trying not to!

Golf.. still love it.

• Like 1

I know all about the tired swings. I usually start spraying them right towards the end of a round, not usually severely but enough to miss the fairway. It's usually because I don't stop my left arm early enough on the downswing to let the right hand turn over properly, so the club face stays open. That's my most common fault/miss, and something I still have to remind myself to do every swing. The other main reason is my arms become disconnected and I cut back inside across the line. 

I don't usually have problems with topping or fatting balls, although occasionally I'll go through a short period of it happening repeatedly. I find if I try to take a big wind up I tend to over draw it rather than slice it. 

• Like 1

Finally the trend reverses.

Vet's day at McCracken Golf Club, not one of my favourite courses, tough walk (I had a ride), 14 holes with water, feels like you are Playing in Queensland!

Started badly with two wiped holes and after five holes had 4 points. Picked up a bit from then on, mostly on my putter, made several putt's from around the 10 foot mark.

Ended with 30 points

• Like 4

Not all of our courses have water everywhere, although with the garbage weather we keep getting they're starting to 🤣

There is a chance Sunday's game won't go ahead if this stupid rain keeps up. The course may be closed, or they'll have carts off - if it was a comp round this wouldn't really matter but half my social club are either physically unable or just too bloody lazy to walk the course, so if carts are off then the game probably will be too. Will find out Saturday arvo/night I'd think. 

Social club game is off. My home club comp is fully booked at this stage but some may pull out before Sunday. If they do I'll sneak in but whether that even goes ahead is up in the air. 

I'm booked both days next weekend to make up for it so yeah hopefully this crap goes away soon. I'm sick and tired of it because it's ruining any chance I get to tidy up the front yard as well. It looks like nobody's lived in my house for months because of it. 

48 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Social club game is off. My home club comp is fully booked at this stage but some may pull out before Sunday. If they do I'll sneak in but whether that even goes ahead is up in the air. 

I'm booked both days next weekend to make up for it so yeah hopefully this crap goes away soon. I'm sick and tired of it because it's ruining any chance I get to tidy up the front yard as well. It looks like nobody's lived in my house for months because of it. 

take it as a good oppurtunity to brew  mate , i feel your neglecting your main role in life to make yummy  beer

feel for you guys up there as qld hasnt got over the huge floods in feb 

with clubbies on and knowing 7-8weeks of stroke i am praying for rain here in Vic .

the only hassle is my club is playable all year round even in flooding situations (boy did i join the wrong club lol)

hope you get a game Kelsey  

I thought about a brew day but since it's mostly done outside I don't really enjoy it much when it's raining. 

The flooding in my general area is all done and dusted now, however this stupid persistent rain is preventing the ground drying out properly. The greens, tees and fairways on the course are all ok aside from a few areas in some fairways, but the rough is often soft and spongy underneath and difficult to hit cleanly out of. 

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I thought about a brew day but since it's mostly done outside I don't really enjoy it much when it's raining. 

The flooding in my general area is all done and dusted now, however this stupid persistent rain is preventing the ground drying out properly. The greens, tees and fairways on the course are all ok aside from a few areas in some fairways, but the rough is often soft and spongy underneath and difficult to hit cleanly out of. 

mate , cant argue with mother nature buddy , she knows best even if it  gets in the way of your  ventures.

i love brewing in the rain as long as evberything isnt in the rain ofcourse 

enjoy the rain  mate use advantage   of it in a dry area

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Hey Otto I know you are passionate about your golf & rightly so, I have seen increased improvement in your goal in your posts.

BUT we miss your brew days & your awesome photos with the lovely beers.

Come on back !!

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

mate , cant argue with mother nature buddy , she knows best even if it  gets in the way of your  ventures.

i love brewing in the rain as long as evberything isnt in the rain ofcourse 

enjoy the rain  mate use advantage   of it in a dry area

What dry area? Everything is freaking soaked 😂😂😂

Of course the weather will do whatever it likes but I can still be annoyed at it, especially when it's so unlike it to do this here heading into the cooler months. This is meant to be our dry season. The brewing equipment itself isn't necessarily out in the rain but there are plenty of opportunities to get wet in it during the course of a brew day. Easier to wait until it effs off. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Otto I know you are passionate about your golf & rightly so, I have seen increased improvement in your goal in your posts.

BUT we miss your brew days & your awesome photos with the lovely beers.

Come on back !!

I'll probably do a brew the weekend after next, unless it pees down rain again. I generally leave a Saturday free a couple of weeks out of every 5 or 6 in order to do a brew, usually on the ones where I have the early Sunday rounds with the social club, and lately every time some other BS pops up - or I inadvertently stay up too late on the Friday and can't be bothered starting a brew at near on lunch time. 🤣

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'll probably do a brew the weekend after next, unless it pees down rain again. I generally leave a Saturday free a couple of weeks out of every 5 or 6 in order to do a brew, usually on the ones where I have the early Sunday rounds with the social club, and lately every time some other BS pops up - or I inadvertently stay up too late on the Friday and can't be bothered starting a brew at near on lunch time. 🤣

We have to wait that long ? 😬 No worries, all the best , Cheers.

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

We have to wait that long ? 😬 No worries, all the best , Cheers.

I'm playing both days next weekend, leaving the following Saturday free. I might leave the one after it free to sort out the front yard as well. Not tackling that during a brew day. 

Sneaked into Sunday's comp at my club as someone pulled out of one of the groups. I did have a solo round booked but cancelled that, if I'm gonna play in crappy conditions I'd rather be in a group given it's more difficult to see your own tee shots. Now just to wait and see whether it goes ahead or not. I reckon a lot will depend on how much it rains tomorrow and Saturday.