Coopers Community

interesting kegland setup for kegging

ozdevil

Hey all

kegland are about to bring out a 8l re-usable plastic  keg    and advertise these Kegs  at a very cheap price of $5.00
They will be handy for those that keg and dont want to take a entire keg with them or for those  that ferment small batches

Th

oxebar_mono-01.thumb.jpg.4a1256ecc62000327909c21a943c811d.jpg

This is just prototype and not the finished product in the photo above

The sting here is the attachment you will need pictured Below

kl20169_-_pco38_tapping_head_assembly_-_profile.thumb.jpg.95ace3c85ddd0603a1da67d281a47b26.jpg

which will set you back $30 dollars for keg and the attachment  not sure wheter you would purchase the disconnect and the prv valve seperate

but a good way to get into kegging cheaply

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

good for Mr beer batches if work properly and not too dodgy but sounds to good be true at that price

it does doesnt it   seriously though  kegland are pretty good  on value for money  

but  its legit    it may or may not be the bottom price   when kegland  release the product  to public

https://www.kegland.com.au/8l-oxebar-mono-polymer-keg-with-cap.html

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ozdevil said:

but a good way to get into kegging cheaply

I've been procrastinating about getting into kegging for months. I haven't found the price of doing so prohibitive but I have been concerned if I did outlay the money and discover kegging wasn't for me, then I'd have spent all this money on equipment lying around idle. These products remove the risk of wasting too much money at start up.

Nice find, Oz.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been keeping an eye on Kegland since @ozdevil pointed these out. Apparently they'll be available from 14/07/2021. It hasn't stopped me looking daily to see if they'll be in sooner.
$4.95 each but they're offering a price of $3.95 for purchases of 12 or more!!! Insane.
Updated photo on the prototype included below.

pxl_20210429_023311908.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/26/2021 at 6:22 AM, MUZZY said:

I've been procrastinating about getting into kegging for months. I haven't found the price of doing so prohibitive but I have been concerned if I did outlay the money and discover kegging wasn't for me, then I'd have spent all this money on equipment lying around idle. These products remove the risk of wasting too much money at start up.

Nice find, Oz.

I'm just trying to think if I have seen anyone post anywhere about not liking kegs once they start. 😄

I've seen a couple that maybe were a bit lackadaisical in their setup and who then had leaks and gas loss - I also wonder if they went cheap on product - they seemed a bit jaded about the idea, although they perked up once they took advice and fixed things.

The advice I got on here is to buy the best quality you can afford - Harris reg, CMB disconnects etc. Most of the 'kits' for home builds have the cheaper gear so you need to upgrade those parts. Oh... and buy at least 1 more tap than you think you want and also a larger manifold than you have taps for. I ended up getting a 2-way manifold for outside the fridge - 1 line goes inside but the other is handy for purging kegs, pushing cleaner through etc. without having to have the fridge open. Plus manifolds come with one-way valves to protect your regulator.

Buy cheap, buy twice is not the only effect when you can lose a bottle of gas overnight to a leak. 😄 

I looked at pre-made kegerators but they just aren't high enough - bending with weights could have me in a wheelchair and is a risk even for a healthy back. Having to set up a block and tackle to move kegs in and out of a keezer also seems a lot of extra faffing around so I found an upside down fridge so kegs are just a straight lift up and in. It takes 5 or 6 kegs and I'm not exactly a party animal so that lets me drift along doing a batch or 2 every few weeks.

The cons - it's hard to take a keg to have a few beers with mates, but there are a couple of ways around this - there are some neat designs for esky-style portable bars and a pluto or 2 or you can just fill a couple of bottle as well as a keg each time - stocks can build up fast if you're drinking from the kegs.

Another con is not having the visual check on the sink of how many beers you've had, allied with the ease of filling a glass. Another reason for not getting a fancy kegerator for me was I can't put my fridge in the lounge, so I have to walk the length of the house to get the next beer. 😄

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I'm just trying to think if I have seen anyone post anywhere about not liking kegs once they start. 😄

I've seen a couple that maybe were a bit lackadaisical in their setup and who then had leaks and gas loss - I also wonder if they went cheap on product - they seemed a bit jaded about the idea, although they perked up once they took advice and fixed things.

The advice I got on here is to buy the best quality you can afford - Harris reg, CMB disconnects. Buy cheap, buy twice is not the only effect when you can lose a bottle of gas overnight to a leak. 😄 

I looked at pre-made kegerators but they just aren't high enough - bending with weights could have me in a wheelchair and is a risk even for a healthy back. Having to set up a block and tackle to move kegs in and out of a keezer also seems a lot of extra faffing around so I found an upside down fridge so kegs are just a straight lift up and in. It takes 5 or 6 kegs and I'm not exactly a party animal so that lets me drift along doing a batch or 2 every few weeks.

The cons - it's hard to take a keg to have a few beers with mates, but there are a couple of ways around this - there are some neat designs for esky-style portable bars and a pluto or 2 or you can just fill a couple of bottle as well as a keg each time - stocks can build up fast if you're drinking from the kegs.

Another con is not having the visual check on the sink of how many beers you've had, allied with the ease of filling a glass. Another reason for not getting a fancy kegerator for me was I can't put my fridge in the lounge, so I have to walk the length of the house to get the next beer. 😄

My reasons for wanting and not wanting kegs are many.
Primarily I'd like some of my beers to be clearer eg. lagers, pilsners. However I don't want a lot more stuff in my house. Another fridge for kegs is something I'm trying to avoid. I'm content with bottles apart from the clarity issues mentioned.
For me, these 8 litre kegs look a practical option. They address mobility issues you mentioned because they're smaller and lighter than a corny. 8 litres should be enough beer to see me through a session and maybe even share a beer or two.......MAYBE!
I don't really want to set up a bar situation at home. I just want a simple system like a Pluto/Bronco set up that is mobile. The quality of these Oxebar kegs and fittings are yet to be proven but if they aren't any good they won't break the bank.
I consider kegs like a fishing boat to me. It'd be nice to have one but it's not a necessity and it's quite possible it might not get used often.

PS. Yes, I'm a procrastinator.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

The only con I have had for kegs is it will increase consumption. It is always there and it is just too easy to just pour another. Other than that it's awesome. Who wants to spend 2 hours cleaning and bottling??

I can see how having beer on tap would definitely make it easier just to go & pour a beer as opposed to opening a bottle, also the novelty would take time to wear off ( well for me anyway ) but the more I think about it I really would like a brand new kegerator down the track because as you say cleaning/sanitising/bottling all takes time.

I will look towards Xmas to organise one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

The only con I have had for kegs is it will increase consumption. It is always there and it is just too easy to just pour another. Other than that it's awesome. Who wants to spend 2 hours cleaning and bottling??

Cleaning not so much but bottling day I actually find somewhat gratifying. Usually only takes about 45 minutes from start to complete clean up under the verandah listening to tunes. At the end I have 60 bottles of premium quality beer (cough, cough) to show for my effort. A bit like mowing the lawn. A bit of hard yakka but how good does it look when it's done?

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Cleaning not so much but bottling day I actually find somewhat gratifying. Usually only takes about 45 minutes from start to complete clean up under the verandah listening to tunes. At the end I have 60 bottles of premium quality beer (cough, cough) to show for my effort. A bit like mowing the lawn. A bit of hard yakka but how good does it look when it's done?

Hey Muzzy I don't really mind bottling that much either, it is still a good feeling capping it & placing in labelled boxes with details & storing until ready to try/drink.

The cleaning/sanitising is all just part of the process. The good part is we get to drink decent beer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

How is that a bad thing 

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, wilrobertson said:

Anybody tried? I just bought some of the 5lt Pet bottles with the same screw top PCO38 Tapping Head (KL20169). i usually brew in the 5lt glass jugs. 

Ive got one, used it once. Its great. No problems with leaks. Use lube on the threads and dont overtighten.

• Thanks 1

I've had one half full now for about 2 months sitting in my coolroom, only realised today it's not hooked up to any co2 this whole time, pulled the prv and its still full of pressure, so guessing it has no leaks haha.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, wilrobertson said:

I filled a 5lt Kegland PET, filled with a NEIPA brew CO2 charged for 5 days (25g) and  it worked well, no leaks.  I am also using one to brew a cider. They are a little unstable, so an after market base would be handy.

I've been using the 8lt Kegland PETs for a few months now and found the same stability issue. Yesterday I took delivery of a couple of these in the photo from Beerco. I used the code INSTABEER for 10% off which offset my freight cost.

Not only do I hope stability is solved but with 20lt vessels I won't need to change over kegs as frequently. 

Screenshot_2022-12-14-05-22-10-33.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Malter White said:

I've been using the 8lt Kegland PETs for a few months now and found the same stability issue. Yesterday I took delivery of a couple of these in the photo from Beerco. I used the code INSTABEER for 10% off which offset my freight cost.

Not only do I hope stability is solved but with 20lt vessels I won't need to change over kegs as frequently. 

You will be a Master Kegger now!

Good luck with it.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Malter White said:

Good one Malter, it's good to have more volume on hand, some say you drink more but I don't agree with that, in fact after a while you tend to slow down as you never know you the keg is going to blow, you can of course lift it & tell by the weight, roughly.

Now that I have my 4 x 19l Corny's I will be brewing a lot more to keep stocks up so I guess you will notice the difference in your new additions.

Good Luck.

• Like 2