Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

52 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

@stquinto Was that a Vegetarian Cow so it was ok for the program then Sainter? 😋

... haha in the meantime - what was the internal temp you were chasing when did your first phase Cobber?

A vegan one to boot 😉

What I read was 9 degrees C less than the desired final temp. I went for 44 degrees before searing. The meat came up to that temp a good 30 minutes before I was ready so I left the oven door ajar for about 20 minutes before taking it out and searing it.

Reverse searing is the way to go! Even if you want it a bit more cooked (ok, 2 degrees more…) if the meat is thick enough it’ll work 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 10:39 AM, stquinto said:

The meat came up to that temp a good 30 minutes before I was ready so I left the oven door ajar for about 20 minutes before taking it out and searing it.

@stquinto Sainter - just by way of an example - your slab of Beef - how long was it in the oven then and at what temp -  for us to get some idea - when no meat thermo available...  Tx mate and great job!

• Like 2

Zook Mushie and Parsley Soup (not my Mushies... they're from Aldi 😋)

Finished with freshly squeezed garlic late,  and then sour cream blob - fresh lemon juice - then sesame seed and fried onion sprinkles - and more fresh parsley.  Turned out yumbo! 

I believe that frying and caramelising stuff a bit to being with is useful. 

Nearly Veg... mostly veg... haha but I did use on-spesh Maggie Beer Chook Stock and a bit of Speck ; )

image.thumb.png.0bd63e5d74b318fcd0f9f70fb1f065ac.png

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Finished with freshly squeezed garlic late,  and then sour cream blob - fresh lemon juice - then sesame seed and fried onion sprinkles - and more fresh parsley.  Turned out yumbo! 

Nearly Veg... mostly veg... haha but I did use on-spesh Maggie Beer Chook Stock and a bit of Speck ; )

Looks the business IP, very nice. 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks the business IP, very nice. 😋

Haha Cheers @Classic Brewing Co Phil... but you know that I'd much rather be tucking into that lovely Steak and Chips and a 2014 Margaux what our man @stquinto Sainter is serving up! 

Anyway - need to keep on the fizzy water and  "leaner side of life" program for a bit longer yet!  ; )

image.png.dd2fbf9499d3670f2bf7a661fddc8c0e.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

@stquinto Sainter - just by way of an example - your slab of Beef - how long was it in the oven then and at what temp -  for us to get some idea - when no meat thermo available...  Tx mate and great job!

@Itinerant Peasant mate, a bit tricky without a meat thermometer. I would get one of those with the probe on a wire and it hangs out the oven door. Otherwise 100 degrees for about 40 minutes. I’ve cut down the red meat and would rather have a decent slab once a week than mediocre cuts every day

6 hours ago, Mickep said:

Absolutely. Perfection. Converted!

That’s me converted @Mickep mate! I’ll be doing my Holy Meaty Communion soon 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

A very appealing looking soup, IP. Do you get the feelgoods when using your home grown produce in meals? I made a simple Bolognese sauce today with herbs sourced from my own garden and was rather proud of that.

Good old speck too. Love the stuff. Always reminds me of my old Opa and his legendary knodel dumplings he used to make with speck.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

A very appealing looking soup, IP. Do you get the feelgoods when using your home grown produce in meals? I made a simple Bolognese sauce today with herbs sourced from my own garden and was rather proud of that.

Hey Muzzy I totally agree, there is nothing better than adding the ingredients from your own garden, right down to the parsley garnish at plating. It is a good feeling as well as the realisation that your fresh herbs actually taste better than those from the supermarket.

I might plant a couple of eaten T-Bones & see if I can grow a Steak tree - Nah, joke.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

That looks amazing IP ! If you use your imagination you can knock up some decent veggie stuff, and a bit of spec never killed anyone (apart from the pig in question...) Any your stuff is mainly home grown  - good on yer !

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Looks really yummy IP mate. In fact so good I'm going to give this a crack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is about as basic as it gets, I was given 2kgs of Chicken Sausages with Spinach & Pine Nuts by a Butcher mate in exchange for a few bottles of Pale Ale. They really are nice I added Cinnamon, Turmeric, Chilly, Garlic, Cracked Pepper & Sea Salt cooked in the oven with the potatoes & Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Rosemary. BTW I ate one on the cutting board before I plated up. 😋

Sometimes the simple things are the best, but tomorrow night it is a big T-Bone.

20220228_192805.thumb.jpg.f938659b26dde0aaa7b2574993bcd31e.jpg

• Like 6

Haven’t used this for a bit: the sous-vide cooker.  I didn’t want to do a reverse sear on this cut (half of a pork rack) because I thought I couldn’t get the sear properly. I tried with my weed-flamethrower but either the gas was running out or the butane doesn’t burn hot enough. I know I need propane but where I am you can’t get it in small bottles, banned I think 🤔 

In the end I finished it in the pan, after chopping the ribs in 3 I still had to sear (a bit too pink even for me with it being pork).

Still, cooked inside

8A8DB9B7-9619-4DBD-9522-6049DB878DD5.thumb.jpeg.1667fd443380de9c8da7341f1f102a7a.jpeg2EABCBBE-DC3A-418A-AB5C-525E2521A860.thumb.jpeg.cb9e6f8bf8045e1bbbc0d26d780e50b7.jpeg70A11A78-CF1C-4F83-9CA7-75BDAB096776.thumb.jpeg.cbab0afaabcd55a7af70c10aa95348ee.jpegE247C0F8-8464-4A7F-A22B-A95A38F425F7.thumb.jpeg.b831b9f8c46f284b0cb2648b43404c7f.jpegB8E41F94-ECB5-44F5-BF92-2F7AA448CF11.thumb.jpeg.20eedd3d18ecc8a3c90cd57aa984acd1.jpeg

1B2BDFCC-3CE9-415A-AED4-F4DBD6F6537A.jpeg

015B1896-CABC-4DB5-9020-338A72BD4B2D.jpeg

B5E5EDF1-0523-4B92-8CA1-4F4E2776A50A.jpeg

CFCEE0F3-1A5C-40BA-811E-643A2C73ED28.jpeg

• Like 3