Coopers Community

Daily diary of a virgin (first ever) home brew!

pilotsh

Dear Diary Question....

Will cold crashing change/affect/modify the taste and ruin the experiment!?!?!

Probably bottling the Lamington Stout tomorrow, so the Kegerator will finally be free, so I could cold crash my 008R brew!

(However the only difference between Brew 008 and 008R has been the WATER) I did NOT cold crash the original Brew 008!

And, so far, it looks like the tap water made the beer more orange and more stone-fruity, but that is just a preliminary observation.

Geez this Science is hard!

Edited by pilotsh
I can't spell :) (typo)

29 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

Dear Diary Question....

Will cold crashing change/affect/modify the taste and ruin the experiment!?!?!

Probably bottling the Lamington Stout tomorrow, so the Kegerator will finally be free, so I could cold crash my 008R brew!

(However the only difference between Brew 008 and 008R has been the WATER) I did NOT cold crash the original Brew 008!

And, so far, it looks like the tap water made the beer more orange and more stone-fruity, but that is just a preliminary observation.

Geez this Science is hard!

I never cold crashed before i kegged. If you bottle i think its an unnecessary step. Cold crashing is advantageous for keggers so your beer takes in CO2 more readily.

Your priming sugar in the bottle does that job, i dont think your beer will be much clearer in the end if you cold crash / bottle. Just my opinion. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

i dont think your beer will be much clearer in the end if you cold crash / bottle. Just my opinion. 

Cheers PM... I think that by rights purely from the process cold crashing should help to clarify... but if you leave in bottle long enough - that should do the same... Cold crashing should speed up clarification of the brew as there is less total suspended sediment in the bottle... hence making clarification in the bottle easier...  I too only have been doing cold crashing with the kegging as I think it helps.... but when I lagered glass bottles for like 3 months at 2 deg C they were pretty blaardy crystal clear.... also maybe if you cold crashed prior to bottling there would be less total sed at the bottom in danger of being stirred up a bit on a bottle pour.... but in essence.... it is not essential when bottling.... phaaarque... think your answer was simpler @Pale Man PM and mine needs to be cold crashed to clarify it a little ?   🤪

As for ruining the experiment @pilotsh Pilot it might put the cold crashed version at slight advantage if the bottles are not stored for v long if it is a highly sedimentacious beer but I think you are doing KnK anyway which are usually v clear...

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cheers PM... I think that by rights purely from the process cold crashing should help to clarify... but if you leave in bottle long enough - that should do the same... Cold crashing should speed up clarification of the brew as there is less total suspended sediment in the bottle... hence making clarification in the bottle easier...  I too only have been doing cold crashing with the kegging as I think it helps.... but when I lagered glass bottles for like 3 months at 2 deg C they were pretty blaardy crystal clear.... also maybe if you cold crashed prior to bottling there would be less total sed at the bottom in danger of being stirred up a bit on a bottle pour.... but in essence.... it is not essential when bottling.... phaaarque... think your answer was simpler @Pale Man PM and mine needs to be cold crashed to clarify it a little ?   🤪

As for ruining the experiment @pilotsh Pilot it might put the cold crashed version at slight advantage if the bottles are not stored for v long if it is a highly sedimentacious beer but I think you are doing KnK anyway which are usually v clear...

I know what you're saying BB. And its a two edged sword so to speak. You can drop yeast out too much when bottling, and takes longer for bottles to carb up. Its definitely not going to hurt, but as i mentioned, as a bottler, unnecessary. Yeasts these days are so good at flocculating and sit very hard on the bottom, and good for bottlers. A cold crash is good for kegging, as the gas carbs your beer, and you dont need yeast, unless you have a yeast driven beer. 

You know all this and its one hand of that or a hand of the other. My little opinion is its not required for bottlers to cold crash. My beers were crystal after a month in the bottle.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

fermenter and gravity shots 

I re-read this four times, thinking "what am I missing"? Lol, I was ready "gravity shots" wondering what they were. But now I get you mean shots as in photos, not short thimbles of scotch. 🤣

That's what happens when I put the em-far-sis on the wrong sil-ahh-ble.

ahhhhhh, I'll face palm myself.  😛

The ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout grand photo / taste test is due on Nov 6th.

*edit* I just realised I never posted the photo of my Brew 10: Stout..... I will Post a side-by-side shot of Brew 10 and 11 this weekend. 🙂

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, pilotsh said:

I re-read this four times, thinking "what am I missing"? Lol, I was ready "gravity shots" wondering what they were. But now I get you mean shots as in photos, not short thimbles of scotch. 🤣

That's what happens when I put the em-far-sis on the wrong sil-ahh-ble.

ahhhhhh, I'll face palm myself.  😛

The ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout grand photo / taste test is due on Nov 6th.

*edit* I just realised I never posted the photo of my Brew 10: Stout..... I will Post a side-by-side shot of Brew 10 and 11 this weekend. 🙂

Ahhhh the pennys dropped. 

• Haha 2

My point. Give us a pic of your end result. Not gravity readings and of your wort relentless. 

Give us a glass pic. This thread is the most boring thing ive ever read on the internet. To me anyway. Its ok for you to do this but my tears are of boredom. Im asleep reading this. You're wasting cyber space. There. Ive said it.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, John E Miller said:

Why do you think it is not necessary? Is that after a month in the fridge? 

I agree with Pale Man and BB. I only bottle and have never seen the benefit of the cold crash in this instance. My beer comes out OK for me.

Cold crashing speeds up the process as does, keeping it in the fridge at drinking temperature or below, it just takes longer.

if you are putting the beer straight into the fridge after bottling, initially leave the fridge temperature high enough to allow the secondary fermentation to take place. 

You can then reduce it to a serving temperature as required.

Edited by Pickles Jones
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Give us a glass pic. This thread is the most boring thing ive ever read on the internet. To me anyway. Its ok for you to do this but my tears are of boredom. Im asleep reading this. You're wasting cyber space. There. Ive said it.

Come on now mate - don't be too harsh PM - we have to bring our young brewers along for the journey ha ha - but I do agree @pilotsh we do need to get you more into the Beer Photo thing as well as all the other photo reporting for which Pilot you have done without a doubt an exemplary job.... but would be good to expand a little.....

...as the Beer Photo truly is a beautiful thing 😝 and brings in another whole facet of brewing discussion ; )

I mean - look at the clarity on that Summer Ale below... definitely a good example of the cold-crash on an ale pre kegging : )

Had a great mate last Friday take a shine to the SA and sadly it was his undoing and did bring about another version of the 'cold crash' haha...

Next time he says he will bring his own glass - he says that root cause analysis would suggest the problem was just that my glasses were too big ; )

image.thumb.png.91f6dcf1b08e93b91561c13540f7c72b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

initially leave the fridge temperature high enough to allow the secondary fermentation to take place. 

Yeah @John E Miller John I always kept my Cooper Largies and Swingtops out of the fridge for secondary ferment - then they went in after that.... and Lagers do seem to get a bit of benefit from time at cold temps.... and certainly a month in the fridge upright usually would be plenty adequate to clarify things in most cases as Pickles alludes to above ; )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cold Crashing is not required for any beer.

I should note that cold crashing involves leaving the beer cold for a period of time. You can chill a keg down and then keg it straight away but I wouldn't call this cold crashing.

I found cold crashing beer before bottling allowed more stuff to drop out of suspension and reduced the amount of sediment in the bottle. That's pretty much it, so it is up to you to determine whether it is worthwhile. I did it because I used to bottle on weekends so I always had at least 4 days or so to cold crash and I liked reducing the sediment in the bottle.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Come on now mate - don't be too harsh PM - we have to bring our young brewers along for the journey ha ha - but I do agree @pilotsh we do need to get you more into the Beer Photo thing as well as all the other photo reporting for which Pilot you have done without a doubt an exemplary job.... but would be good to expand a little.....

...as the Beer Photo truly is a beautiful thing 😝 and brings in another whole facet of brewing discussion ; )

I mean - look at the clarity on that Summer Ale below... definitely a good example of the cold-crash on an ale pre kegging : )

Had a great mate last Friday take a shine to the SA and sadly it was his undoing and did bring about another version of the 'cold crash' haha...

Next time he says he will bring his own glass - he says that root cause analysis would suggest the problem was just that my glasses were too big ; )

image.thumb.png.91f6dcf1b08e93b91561c13540f7c72b.png

Is that the same as a money shot BB ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2020 at 8:40 PM, Pale Man said:

I apologise for my harsh words. I think us brewers need a push sometimes. This thread from the Pilot is A1. I think I melted down last night.

I just assumed you had a Bad day with the Melbourne Cup. I guessed as much.

You made me raise an eyebrow, but then I remembered that it was my thread, and the title is "Daily Diary", so if you chose to read it you can be bored if you like. 🙂

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2020 at 8:44 PM, Pale Man said:

I apologise Pilot.

Apology accepted. 🙂

An upside is it did make me reflect on my posting technique and realised if I post more that one days data I can roll it into one post instead of pinging new posts for each day!

Now we can both keep brewing great beer! 🥳

• Like 1