Coopers Community

Daily diary of a virgin (first ever) home brew!

pilotsh

Wednesday 4th November:

Brew 012: Coopers ROTM Lamington Stout- cold crashed for 194 hours (8.09days)

Brew Temp: 1.8-2.2C, target 1.9C

Comments:  Plan to bottle Friday.

Brew 008R: Identical repeat of Brew 008, but with Coles Spring Water not tap water. 262 hours (10.92 days) since pitch.

Brew temp: Ambient 23.3C.

Comments: Decided not to cold crash so the only difference between brew 008 and 008R is indeed the WATER ONLY. Letting the brew rest for a few days.

Photo(s): Nil

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday 5th November:

Brew 012: Coopers ROTM Lamington Stout- cold crashed for 218 hours (9.09days)

Brew Temp: 1.8-2.2C, target 1.9C

Comments:  Plan to bottle tomorrow.

Brew 008R: Identical repeat of Brew 008, but with Coles Spring Water not tap water. 286 hours (11.92 days) since pitch.

Brew temp: Ambient 22.8C.

Comments: Letting the brew rest for a few days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday 6th November:

Brew 012: Coopers ROTM Lamington Stout- Total cold crash for 242 hours (10.08days)

Comments:  Beer Bottled. Condensation prevented labelling. Will post standard conclusion post tomorrow (Saturday.)

Brew 008R: Identical repeat of Brew 008, but with Coles Spring Water not tap water. 286 hours (11.92 days) since pitch.

Brew temp: Ambient 22.4C.

Comments: Letting the brew rest for a few days. Probably bottling Sunday or Monday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilotsh said:

Apology accepted. 🙂

An upside is it did make me reflect on my posting technique and realised if I post more that one days data I can roll it into one post instead of pinging new posts for each day!

Now we can both keep brewing great beer! 🥳

Truly spoken @pilotsh Pilot and @Pale Man PM....  I think you can ping as many posts as you like Pilot - and I echo PM's sentiments - you are doing a ripper job on this thread!

But just very very quietly Pilot - if we take the best bit out of PM's post ha ha - It would be rather nice to see some more of the Beer-end-products with all this brewing going on haha!

I have this funny feeling that one day you are going to post 38 new different beers for us all to view haha ; )

... whoops Brewery alarm going off and here I am blithering... better get back to the two stage mash... Cheers Brewers!

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

It would be rather nice to see some more of the Beer-end-products with all this brewing going on haha!

A bottle of Brew 10 and Brew 11 are in the fridge from last night for a taste/photo Lunch tomorrow.  😛

Feverishly working on labelling Brew 12 as we speak.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Brew 012: Coopers ROTM Lamington Stout- Saturday 7th November: 492 hours / 20.5 days from pitching to bottling.

(Ferm 250h/10.41d, cold crash 242h/10.08d)

FG (SG): 1019 therefore Brew 12 is 6.0%ABV (5.41+0.5) Spreadsheet check of 1017 makes sense.

Appearance: Black Tea!

Nose: Coffee, chocolate. Light Berries.

Palate: Chocolate, then Raspberry jam, and coconut on the finish. A real Dessert Beer!

Comments: I like the effect these adjuncts help a plain kit’n’kilo. Oh, but the coconut stole some of my beer! Only 29 bottles this batch!

Photo(s):  

3FEE26FE-D03E-4FDB-8E04-0ED02A40679C.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
Added photo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saturday 7th November: Brew 008R: Identical repeat of Brew 008, but with Coles Spring Water not tap water. 310 hours (12.92 days) since pitch.

Brew temp: Ambient 22.3C

Comments: Letting the brew rest for a few days. Probably bottling Monday.

Edited by pilotsh

On 11/7/2020 at 3:42 PM, pilotsh said:

a taste/photo Lunch tomorrow

Is it Lunch yet where you are Pilot?

---------

Filthy old Coconut - we can't have that - I would get rid of it in my next beer haha 😝

2 hours ago, pilotsh said:

Oh, but the coconut stole some of my beer!

Brew 010: Coopers Stout, plain as per instructions- Sunday 8th November: Taste test

Appearance: Black Tea. Head is big tan bubbles: not at all foam. Head dissipates quickly... disappointing.

Nose: Beer. Dough. Stone fruit. Nothing noteworthy.

Palate: Carbonation crisp on the tongue. Light instant coffee in the palate, but nothing special. I am starting to see that kit beers lack depth and layers.... derrrrr.

Comments: Drinkable but plain and boring. I wouldn't brew a plain stout again, but I did indeed brew it so I had a baseline for the ROTM Belgian Chocolate and Lamington Stouts. 🙂

Photo(s):

C49D5885-9E00-4CAE-91FA-B9C9CB7096C2.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
Uploaded photo
  • Like 3

Brew 011: Coopers ROTM- Belgian Chocolate Stout- Sunday 8th November: Taste test

Appearance: Black Tea. Head is big tan bubbles, slightly smaller and denser that the plain stout, but still dissipates quickly... disappointing.

Nose: Light chocolate and coffee notes. Not over powering, but not stand-outish either.

Palate: Carbonation crisp on the tongue. Light initial wheat and malt, giving way to a slight chocolate and nutty feel. The lingering espresso/coffee notes on the back palate are the most notable.

Comments: Drinkable and definitely superior to the regular stout (Brew 10). Both are drinkable, but whether or not the extra work involved in brew 11 is worth the extra result is debatable. Definitely keen to compare again to the results of Brew 12 the Lamington Stout.

Photo(s):

1479ADDA-A012-421F-8EAE-39FF0488BF8E.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
Uploaded photo
  • Like 4

Sunday 8th November: Brew 008R: Identical repeat of Brew 008, but with Coles Spring Water not tap water. 334 hours (13.92 days) since pitch.

Brew temp: Ambient 23.0C

Comments: Enjoying my plain Stout and Belgian Chocolate Stout tastings. 😛  Bottling tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pilotsh said:

Appearance: Black Tea. Head is big tan bubbles, slightly smaller and denser that the plain stout, but still dissipates quickly... disappointing.

Maybe try a purchase of some Liquid Malted Wheat... Coopes has a nice one... it is a mix of wheat and barley - but am hoping it might help with your head retention and mouth-feel @pilotsh Pilot....

So do a brew... an ale.... e.g. Coopers Real Ale and use that Liquid malted wheat and a kilo of BE3 as part of your additions...   easier than doing a partial mash of 500-1kg of malted wheat...

And maybe a late hop in a hop sock -- when most of the frothing is done - of something you like for a bit of aroma.... 50g EKG for Britain... or maybe 50g Galaxy for something more festive?

image.thumb.png.f38b24df3b90db0bf49c9067b056ca5d.png

• Like 2

On 10/13/2020 at 4:46 PM, Norris! said:

To reduce esters and flavours from the yeast, ferment as cool as possible. I generally go around 17c-18c for most ale yeasts unless I want fruity notes to compliment the brew. You would be getting esters at those temps which would get you the aromas you are talking about.

@Norris! please refer to my next post with some information

Brew 008R: Identical repeat of Brew 008 (Coopers Pale Ale with reactivated CPA bottle yeast), but with Coles Spring Water not tap water.

Monday 9th November: 352 hours (14.7 days) from pitching to bottling!

Brew Temp: 22.4C

FG (SG): 1007 therefore Brew 008R is 4.8%ABV (4.29+.5). Brew 008 was 4.53%ABV

Appearance: Cloudy golden straw. Medium fine fizz.

Nose: Flesh, light. Nothing dominant. Only hints of pineapple. Certainly NO Stone-fruit!

Palate: Fresh. Light bitterness, light citrus and lemon notes. Delicious! And NO STONE FRUIT! 😀🥳

Comments: Cannot wait to compare this to 008 and maybe even 003 after bottle conditioning!

Brew 008 average brew temp was 19.98C, and 008R was 22.31C (warmer!). Yet, almost no Stone fruit notes in 008R. So, until the taste test in four weeks my initial conclusion is that my tap water gives my beer stone fruit notes. Luckily I have a few lockdown containers of spring water left for more brews! LOL.

Photo(s):  

AB2CBA5A-14E4-430B-9626-9EE96E2B265C.jpeg

CF11C6A8-E039-4352-BD2B-DD4EA4EE8DCF.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
Upload photos
  • Like 1

@pilotsh

So it was your water, nice.

Fermenting at 22c will still produce esters, whether or not they are stone fruit or whatever depends on the ingredients, including the yeast and water. Whether or not the esters are enjoyable to your pallete depends also. But at the end of the day I am glad you were able to fix your issue. 

https://winning-homebrew.com/esters-in-beer.html

Good brewing

Norris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

So it was your water, nice.

I have only ever brewed my AG beers with rainwater.... and have read about people fighting with chlorine in 'town water'.... but I guess mashing and boiling the phhhhhhhharque out of a brew might reduce the chlorine in an AG scenario.... but I guess less so if you are adding cold chlorinated town water supply directly to a KNK brew hey?

Hhahaha and years ago when I started - I was able to utilise double-distilled water haha! 😝

• Like 1

Alright, after two days off , it's time to stop fiddlefruiting around and get back on the Brew 013 horse- Crazy Scientist Time!

So the plan is (subject to any forth-coming suggestions):

Brew 13: Beez Nees Nostalgia Brew

Peacher's Hefe Wheat Can (1.7kg)

Wheat Malt Can (1.5kg)

½ box Brew Enhancer 2 (500g)

400g sugars worth of honey thinking 1/2 Capilano "Bold and Dark" and 1/2 Beechworth Mountain

500g Joe White Light Crystal Malt EBC 90-100

500g Joe White Wheat Crystal Malt EBC 100-150

100g of Mandarina Bavaria Hop Pellets

Extra Yeast- Sachet of Munich Classic (Lallemand) (have a lot of fermentables)

Followed by honey batch prime, with either Capillano Yellow Box or Beechworth Regular

Rough Method:

Boil 2 Litres of water, add 50g Hops boil for 45 minutes. (lid on/lid off?)

Turn off heat, have a beer (drop to 90C) then add 1kg Crystal Malt, let steep for 30 minutes, natural drop in temperature.

Strain Pot into another pot, add other 50g hops, cool in water bath until I get sick of waiting. (10 minutes ish?)

Pour (not strain) into FV.

Refill pot with 2 Lt water, bring to boil, Add the Peachers Hefe, Wheat Malt Can and Brew Enhancer 2 and Honey. Stir.

Pour into FV. Add Fridge water to 19C at 23Lt.

Add both Can yeast and Lallemand yeast. Enjoy 6 weeks later.

Thoughts, Suggestions, Comments!? 😎

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pilotsh said:

My gut feel on this is that it is gunna be a fizz fest - put the Kräusen collar on so no festive brew overflowing... during the ferment

And when you pour your final beer - like in Germany - rinse our your Wheat Beer 0.5L glasses before you pour...

Maybe this is for you Pilot the big quantum leap forward in conquering head and head retention.... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

My gut feel on this is that it is gunna be a fizz fest

'Yawn' until I see it: the highest Krausen in any of my beers so far as been about 2inches / 5cm. Finally some "action" *Crazy Cackle*! muhahahahah! 😆 

11 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

conquering head and head retention.... 

At least then I can work my way backwards and work out what adds to H&HR and what doesn't! 🤓🤠

16 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Maybe this is for you Pilot the big quantum leap forward

No point doing things by halves..... "It's only beer" 😛🥳

Any other comments appreciated by Friday: I am ordering/picking up the hops and crystal malt on Thursday night / Friday. I already have the other ingredients. 🥳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

'Yawn' until I see it: the highest Krausen in any of my beers so far as been about 2inches / 5cm. Finally some "action" *Crazy Cackle*! muhahahahah! 😆 

At least then I can work my way backwards and work out what adds to H&HR and what doesn't! 🤓🤠

No point doing things by halves..... "It's only beer" 😛🥳

Any other comments appreciated by Friday: I am ordering/picking up the hops and crystal malt on Thursday night / Friday. I already have the other ingredients. 🥳

What temp do you think you are going to ferment at?

I just am doing a nice AG IPA and as usual did not fit the K-Collar and is the first time I had a minor burp and had to on the LH hop addition get the sterile wipes to clean the lid vat junction...

Yeah Wheatie is more festive on bubbles all round... if you have a Coops FV and are going to ferment at 20+ I would fit the K-Collar...

Safety first - and apologies if I am completely wrong - have been before...

Only other - don't do half a box - of BE2 - PUT THE WHOLE BOX IN PLEASE

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Only other proviso - do make sure you ferment the primary out properly

Do not bottle early

At the end bump the temperature up 1 or 2 C to 20/21C for two days an recheck SG would/should cover that?

Hashtag "learning": lol, I'm old. 😛

Edited by pilotsh
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What temp do you think you are going to ferment at?

19C. Maybe 20C.

38 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Only other - don't do half a box - of BE2 - PUT THE WHOLE BOX IN PLEASE

Lol, you really want a volcano, huh? 😛

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I just am doing a nice AG IPA and as usual did not fit the K-Collar and is the first time I had a minor burp and had to on the LH hop addition get the sterile wipes to clean the lid vat junction...

Yeah, rookie mistake BB. 😊🤣 (obviously joking)

I have been fitting the Krausen collar automatically, and as you know, have in the past commented on how I thought it was a waste. I can see how after many many, many, brews of hardly burping you don't fit it now.

I am still "new, young and keen enough' to fit it to every brew, for now. LOL

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

At the end bump the temperature up 1 or 2 C to 20/21C for two days an recheck SG would/should cover that?

Yeah I was doing KnK and not really worrying about OG FG blah blah blah G... and ended up with some festive over-carbing ha ha

I think I have got some Coopers Largies with WB2 - my second Wheatie KnK - just saw them recently - haha - so might see if I can get a bucket and get a photo haha!!! TBA

In this most recent AG had no massive spillover - but you can see how it has broached the lid-FV vessel interface.....  and then if fluid in - dries - well then increases gas interchange and any other potential movement of O2 or spores - so happy to prevent that...

image.thumb.png.531423aca2810cddf0b79655a8c33cc1.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pilotsh said:

Alright, after two days off , it's time to stop fiddlefruiting around and get back on the Brew 013 horse- Crazy Scientist Time!

So the plan is (subject to any forth-coming suggestions):

Brew 13: Beez Nees Nostalgia Brew

Peacher's Hefe Wheat Can (1.7kg)

Wheat Malt Can (1.5kg)

½ box Brew Enhancer 2 (500g)

400g sugars worth of honey thinking 1/2 Capilano "Bold and Dark" and 1/2 Beechworth Mountain

500g Joe White Light Crystal Malt EBC 90-100

500g Joe White Wheat Crystal Malt EBC 100-150

100g of Mandarina Bavaria Hop Pellets

Extra Yeast- Sachet of Munich Classic (Lallemand) (have a lot of fermentables)

Followed by honey batch prime, with either Capillano Yellow Box or Beechworth Regular

Rough Method:

Boil 2 Litres of water, add 50g Hops boil for 45 minutes. (lid on/lid off?)

Turn off heat, have a beer (drop to 90C) then add 1kg Crystal Malt, let steep for 30 minutes, natural drop in temperature.

Strain Pot into another pot, add other 50g hops, cool in water bath until I get sick of waiting. (10 minutes ish?)

Pour (not strain) into FV.

Refill pot with 2 Lt water, bring to boil, Add the Peachers Hefe, Wheat Malt Can and Brew Enhancer 2 and Honey. Stir.

Pour into FV. Add Fridge water to 19C at 23Lt.

Add both Can yeast and Lallemand yeast. Enjoy 6 weeks later.

That looks like a very tasty brew. 

• Like 2