Coopers Community

Daily diary of a virgin (first ever) home brew!

pilotsh

Progress Taste Test!

Wednesday 25th November: Brew 013 “Three Threes Beez Nees”- 182 hours (7.58 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 18.8C-19.3C.

SG: 1014.5

Appearance: Cloudy golden orange, medium fizz.

Nose: Pine, sawdust, light honey. Cloves.

Palate: Green mango, fresh papaya, lemon rind. Hints of cloves.

Finish: Thick on the tongue, some light sweetness, which is cut by a sharp/crisp bitter finish that lingers.

Comments: Lucky I reduced the hops from an IBU of 36 to 30 (under suggestion). We don’t mind the bitterness (for example I drink coffee black and without sugar), but I would also be keen to try it again with an IBU of around 15-20, maybe no hops at all. Both beers would go well with different moods, weather or food.

Photo(s): 

989EB6A2-3D2F-4CA7-9A17-3C29AD1892E5.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
Typo
  • Like 1

Thursday 26th November: Brew 013 “Three Threes Beez Nees”- 215 hours (8.58 days) since pitch.

Comments: Trivia!: The “Three Threes” in the brew title refers to the 300g Crystal Malt, 30g of Hops for a 30 minute boil.

Photo(s): Nil

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 2

Friday 27th November: Brew 013 “Three Threes Beez Nees”- 239 hours (9.58 days) since pitch.

Comments: Another SG and taste test tomorrow.

———————

Saturday 28th November: Brew 013 “Three Threes Beez Nees”- 256 hours (10.66 days) since pitch.

SG: 1015

Appearance: Cloudy golden orange, medium fizz.

Nose: Pine. Substantial Cloves.

Palate: Green mango, lemon rind, bitter citrus. Notable Cloves.

Finish: Thick on the tongue, and a sharp/crisp bitter finish that lingers.

Comments: Appears to have completed fermentation. I have just raised temperature to 20.8C to confirm fermentation has finished before a cold crash starting either tomorrow or Monday.

Photo(s): 

C5AB1417-3F9F-46BB-A1E3-585AD353FDE0.jpeg

708726D8-85EB-47E2-BE9B-BACE873AF06E.jpeg

• Like 1

Sunday 29th November: Brew 013 “Three Threes Beez Nees”- 280 hours (11.66 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.8C-20.3C.

Comments: Higher temp to complete fermentation.

———————————

Monday 30th November: Brew 013 “Three Threes Beez Nees”- 304 hours (12.66 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.8C-20.3C.

SG: 1014

Comments: Higher temp to complete fermentation. And it did a little. 

Photo(s): Attached.

———————————

Tuesday 1st December: Brew 013 “Three Threes Beez Nees”- 326/hours (13.58 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 21.5C

SG: 1013.5

Appearance: Milky brown orange juice.

Nose: Stronger pine, weaker cloves.

Palate: Thick. Green mango, lemon rind, bitter citrus. Notable Cloves.

Finish: A sharp/crisp bitter finish that coats the tongue and lingers.

Comments: Very yeasty. Yeast settles in tasting glass, so this will be a great beer to cold crash. SG almost constant. Increased ink bird to 22.0C. If it is still 1013.5 tomorrow I will cold crash.

Photo(s): 

727A26C7-552B-47C0-85C5-95D6455D886F.jpeg

1EFEB399-3E8A-4095-B466-F5C6369CA0F4.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 2

Wednesday 2nd December: Brew 013 “Three Threes Beez Nees”- 350 hours (14.58 days) from pitching to cold crash.

Brew Temp: 22C. 

FG(SG): 1013.5  Short of the spread sheet target of 1011, but close. ABV will be 5.8% (5.3+0.5)   (Spreadsheet was 6.1%, so close)

Comments:  Cold crash commenced. Target 1.9C. Inkbirk set to tolerance of 1.1C to 2.3C before heating or cooling. Looking to cold crash for about a week to really clarify the brew.

Photo(s): Attached. Very hard to get a clear shot today, final SG 1013.5.

———————————

Thursday 3rd December: Brew 013 “Three Threes Beez Nees”- 26 hours (1.08 days) since cold crash.

Brew Temp: 1.6-2.3C.

Comments: Will only post further on the cold crash if there is a change. Expecting bottling in a week or so.

F90A30EA-787C-4481-98AA-91B53DF124E7.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 3:26 PM, Journeyman said:

very hard to be claiming you're still a virgin. 😄

I am!..... because every brew I am doing something for the first time. For example, brew 13 I boiled a wort and hops for the first time. As long as I keep doing something for the first time I can hold onto the title 🤓

And I don’t really want to go having many different threads clogging up the forum. At least this way, this thread is “mine” so I can post things in one place and people know which one thread to read or avoid depending on if they are interested in it or not! 😜

Still cold crashing brew 13, but stand-by: I have a Lamington Stout in the fridge for a taste test and post tonight! Woot! 🥳

I don’t mind being know as the “Virgin PilotSH”hhhhhhhhh....:  🤣

Edited by pilotsh
  • Haha 2

Brew 012: Coopers ROTM- Lamington Stout- Thursday 10th December: Taste test

Appearance: Black Tea. Head is big tan bubbles, that dissipate over a minute.

Nose: Light hints of coconut and pine. Some jaminess.

Palate: Starts as a tart fruit salad that reminds me of pineapple. Then it moves to raspberry jam notes and hints of coconut that lingers.

Comments: Drinkable and definitely superior to the regular stout (Brew 10). Both are drinkable, but whether or not the extra work involved in brew 12 is worth the extra result is debatable. Definitely keen to compare Brew 11 Belgian Chocolate Stout and Brew 12 Lamington Stout side-by-side to pick the winner.

Photo(s):

C8174600-38AC-489A-8440-768854937EAB.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, pilotsh said:

Head is big tan bubbles, that dissipate over a minute.

Consider some liquid wheat malt - or using malted wheat as a partial adjunct...  500g or so....  which you would have to mash say for 45 at 64-67... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pilotsh said:

That would be my first “partial”. The massive threshold between Kit’n’kilo and All Grain brewing! 🤠

You could always try a tin of Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt - which you may have done already?

image.thumb.png.22ecb3529db70805bb282e513c670c66.png

• Like 1

Brew 008R: Coopers Pale Ale, repeat of brew 008, using spring water instead of tap. Thursday 17th December: Taste test

Appearance: An orange/brown gold. Slightly hazy.

Nose: Fresh, light pine. Hollow (nothing jumps out).

Palate: Tropical fruits, pine. Citrus rind that lingers.

Comments: Drinkable, but light and plain. We think we prefer the regular Brew 008, which bought body to the table with stone fruit notes. Next time I’d use a mix of tap water and spring water, and add a steep of something. But so many brews to get done before then..... 🙂

Photo(s):

35149CD6-702A-489D-A484-0C9213998954.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brew 013: Three Threes Beez Nees- Thursday 17th December: 720 hours / 30.0 days from pitching to bottling. (Ferm 350h/14.58d, cold crash 370h/15.42)  

FG (SG): 1012 therefore Brew 13 is 6.0%ABV (5.46+0.5) Spreadsheet check of 1011 and 6.1 makes sense. 

Appearance: Relatively clear orange gold. 

Nose: Light pine, honey, green tropical fruit. 

Palate: Light honey, light green tropical fruit but also ripe fruit too. It is a deliciously rounded and complete beer.  

Comments: Batch primed with 227g of Yellow Box Capilano Honey dissolved in 500g of off-the-boil water, then let to cool with the lid on. After the cold crash, the SG(FG) was 1012, a small drop as yeast and hop oils were pulled from the brew during the two week cold crash. Forgot to take a photo of the FG post cold crash, but had a great time designing up a new label system. Decided to keep the bottles individually hand numbered (instead of printed) to keep the personal home-brew hand-made feeling stay with the bottles. Also had a joke with how to write the ABV on the label, considering it is a Honey Wheat beer, that was also batch primed with honey.

Cannot wait to taste this after the 4 weeks bottle conditioning! 

Photo(s): 

E3E64481-6FDE-4A1F-8B8A-8814554F1D17.jpeg

FCBC727C-8A8F-4046-ADAB-818559CD848C.jpeg

39DCA6A1-AAA5-4515-B993-C8E18150F78D.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 3

Just thinking if you would add Light Crystal or Wheat Crystal (or both to) this to jazz it up?

Family Secret Amber Ale Can (1.7kg)

Amber Malt Can (1.5kg)

½ box Brew Enhancer 2 (500g)

400g sugars worth of Maple Syrup

Followed by maple batch prime

3 hours ago, pilotsh said:

Just thinking if you would add Light Crystal or Wheat Crystal (or both to) this to jazz it up?

Family Secret Amber Ale Can (1.7kg)

Amber Malt Can (1.5kg)

Ha ha me always BOTH mate you should know by now ; )

• Haha 1

Spreadsheet attached:

Family Secret Amber Ale Can (1.7kg)

Amber Malt Can (1.5kg)

200g Crystal Wheat Malt

200g Crystal light Malt

66F754C3-51AD-409A-B97B-A2D50D12D2E1.jpeg

672ECAF4-2EDA-42AA-88C0-7B123DCA9A49.jpeg

• Like 2

Doing some research when to use two yeast packets, and can’t find out an answer. How do you know when an extra yeast sachet is required? Is it a certain amount of fermentables?

Would the Coopers Can yeast be enough for this?

Family Secret Amber Ale Can (1.7kg)

Amber Malt Can (1.5kg)

200g Crystal Wheat Malt

200g Crystal light Malt

½ box Brew Enhancer 1 or 2 (500g)

I have a spare Coopers Pale Ale yeast sachet that I could add if needed to the above, or happy to just make a starter for the Coopers Amber Can yeast if it would handle the brew.

I also have a Lallemand American East Coast Ale sachet I could use, but I think Two Coopers yeast would play nice together if two were need.

Looks like I’ll finally get some time for a brew day tomorrow! I would appreciate any thoughts you have.

@pilotsh i would go for the east coast sachet but if your trying to save it for something else definitely use 2 yeast for the amount of fermentable you want to use. Everyone is different but I wouldn't be adding more than 1.5kg of fermentables to a 1.7kg kit if only using one 7g pack

I am probably the only one around who never uses two packs of dry yeast come what may and make high OG beers most times... have made starters a plenty in the past...  I do use 11.5g dry sachets which are bigger than 7g packs... and also use plenty of 're-use' yeast slurry... but in general I reckon that 11.5g of say W34/70 or US05 can handle pretty much everything I can throw at it... But I am no expert by any means... I'll see if I can rope in my Yeast Coach @Greeny1525229549 Greeny to see what he reckons...  you there Greeny - your thoughts?

Well that’s interesting: the lallemand sachet is 11g and it says pitch at 1g/Lt, which sounds very low, considering Coopers recommended using it as the only yeast in the 23Lt Hazy IPA ROTM.

Now I am even more confused!

1 hour ago, pilotsh said:

Well that’s interesting: the lallemand sachet is 11g and it says pitch at 1g/Lt, which sounds very low, considering Coopers recommended using it as the only yeast in the 23Lt Hazy IPA ROTM.

Now I am even more confused!

Pilot mate I reckon if they are saying 1g/L then they are saying two packs...   e.g. two of my Fermentis 11.5 g sachets = 23g = 1g/L at 23L... 

But I reckon you can get away with 1 meself... if you brew at like 18 deg C... that dry yeast is in good shape and not ancient or been in the heat.... and you have everything nice and sterile and nil contam with wild yeasts etc I really do believe you will end up with a nice brew...  I may be hung drawn and quartered for being a two-pack unbeliever but honestly I reckon that I have made many Ales and strong ones and got away nicely with 1 pack of yeast like US05...  if you make a starter usually things will fire up sooner... but if you sprinkle and all is hygienic it should be fine - just takes a little longer to fire up IMHO.... 

• Like 1

Mmmmm, sounds like a good reason for a comparison brew in the future. For the moment I am thinking I will rehydrate the Coopers Amber Yeast. Just not sure if I should rehydrate and add a Coopers Pale Ale sachet too. Still researching.

Now brewing on 2nd Jan when my folks are coming over for a substitute NYE: they finally get to see (and help) me make a beer! All this tasting but had’t seen it yet! 🥳

• Haha 1