Coopers Community

What would y’all do?

MitchBastard

I’ve got a 2 fridges. One as a ferment fridge. The other..... currently just sitting there keeping the other one company. Initially i hung onto it to have a second ferment/lagering fridge but I’m yet to have found the need. 

With kegging looming closer and closer should I 

a) buy a kegerator set up

b) drill some holes in that second bitch and make my own? She’d fit 3 kegs and the 02 easy.

c) buy kegerator, keep the second fridge and really get the Misso fired up?

nar but really.... pros and cons of making my own? 

13 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

How can you find out where to drill so you do not rupture any, what would you call them, refrigerant lines?

Go through the door, there shouldn't be any lines there. Not exactly sure how you could check though. 

Depending on your consumption I'd lean towards option B. I'm getting set up for option A myself, already obviously got the kegerator (being replaced), but I kept the old kitchen fridge when it was replaced to use as a second ferment fridge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make your own, I did it a few months back and aren't looking back. As the others have said, doesn't look as good but works out better then a Kegerator in my opinion as it houses the 6kg C02 bottle (which if you wanna use on a Kegerator uou have to house outside of it) and also has way more room for kegs on top of that (and anything else you might wanna put in there). 

Drilling through the door is the best option as there should never be refrigerant lines in it. Just on some fridges (only newer ones) they can have electronics in the door but that's easy to work out. If it has adjustments or a screen on the front you'll need to be careful. If not drill away 🙂

Here's mine. 

20190905_215839.jpg

20190824_113340.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Go to e-bay and can get all you need or just do it On-line. I live in regional Qld so on-line was easier ... Cheaky Peak sell 3 tap long shank sets for 120 with all lines, manifold and disconnects with free freight I bought better disconnects as they put cheap ones in that tend to leak.... the bottle and reg I picked up on pre-sale from Keg King for $70 for ~7kg and $50 for the reg... I have second hand kegs which work a treat average cost of those $40-50 but you may be a 'want new" kind of guy.... I have my CO2 out side the fridge and I get 4 kegs in if I want and I have 6 kegs all up 4 19L Corneys, 1 x 25L and 1 x 13L both full stainless.  you will need a 22mm hole saw from memory. 

20190808_160524.thumb.jpg.b6ab364402628f074638a86a4dd1234d.jpg

20190808_160549.thumb.jpg.1e26db612646d6bd56a8835c289f3311.jpg

20190808_160657.thumb.jpg.024fa4344bd07d94367e49cd0e4b4684.jpg

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 4

I just used the biggest drill bit I had as I didn't have a 22mm hole saw. 

Then I got my air powered die grinder and finished it off by hand to about 21-22mm and the shank slotted straight through 🙂

One thing I was held up by was the first set of shanks I bought where not long enough. So measure the thickness of your fridge and make sure you get the right size. 

I bought my original keg kit from Triple J Home Brew however have since swapped out the disconnects and beer line for better quality stuff (CMB disconnects and valpar flexmaster beer line). My kegs were reconditioned so second hand with new posts, orings and lids etc. 

I got my c02 bottle from keg land for $83 since my LHBS refills them no problem. Also got my regulator from KegLand for $45 and haven't had any dramas with it so far. 

Don't skimp on quality of disconnects and beer line. The last thing you want is to lose a bottle of c02 or a whole keg of beer due to cheap disconnects. I'd recommend some CMB or good quality stainless steel disconnects and valpar line for your beer lines. 

I also got my Intertaps from KegLand. I had some cheaper taps however didn't like them so upgraded to the stainless Intertaps and they are much better. 

If you have any questions at anytime let us know 🙂

Mitch.

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

I’ve got a 2 fridges. One as a ferment fridge. The other..... currently just sitting there keeping the other one company. Initially i hung onto it to have a second ferment/lagering fridge but I’m yet to have found the need. 

With kegging looming closer and closer should I 

a) buy a kegerator set up

b) drill some holes in that second bitch and make my own? She’d fit 3 kegs and the 02 easy.

c) buy kegerator, keep the second fridge and really get the Misso fired up?

nar but really.... pros and cons of making my own? 

are you mirror me??? what am i thinking right now! get out of my head FBI!!!

i am in almost the exact same situation. ive just managed to work out a freezer to use for my newly acquired 2 keg setup. 

Initially i plan to just let it live in the temp controlled freezer, but will want to build in the gas line splitter, and connections into number of taps on the outside of the freezer.

My kegland refurb kits will arrive today, so new posts and seals etc for both (just because i can), a Canadian blonde to go into one this weekend.

3 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

Don't skimp on quality of disconnects and beer line. The last thing you want is to lose a bottle of c02 or a whole keg of beer due to cheap disconnects. I'd recommend some CMB or good quality stainless steel disconnects and valpar line for your beer lines. 

+1 to that ....  my taps suit me right now but i imagine i will update to better quality over time ...  the other thing make sure you have a spray bottle of super soapy water to check for leaks ... I used it constantly for the 1st month or so until I was confident that my disconnects were doing the job ... 

Thanks all. Had a squiz on cheeky peak and I might go the 2 keg re curb kit they have for sale. Bout $400 inc shipping. 

I just measured my fridge and being an odd shape due to the motor down the bottom I’m not 100% I’ll get 3 kegs plus the gas....

going to go two and if I can fit three I’ll look at that later down the line.

• Like 1

Got my tax return and put an order in with Kegland for a 2 tap kegerator , with 6kg CO2 bottle and new Kegs,  push in fittings, disconnects etc for $710.

Shipping to the West was $130.

Got to put it together myself but will enjoy doing that.

Homebrew shops sell the 2 Tap kegerator assembled  for about $1300 ,  so I am saving a bit , but not as much as setting one up yourself though.

At the end of the day whatever works for you is best , same result is  fresh draft beer, and you can’t beat that!

Cheers

James

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

How can you find out where to drill so you do not rupture any, what would you call them, refrigerant lines?

23 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Go through the door, there shouldn't be any lines there. Not exactly sure how you could check though.

Yeah def go through the door, there is never refrigerant lines in the doors. Def stay away from sides and backs, most fridges will have some of the condensing lines run through the cabinet, regardless of the age and if it has an external condenser. I've had enough people bring me fridges they've basically destroyed by drilling through the sides or backs.

Anyone who says they've done it through the side and there's no worries ect, just got extremely lucky basically.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah but proper taps are shiny and look much better than a bit of black plastic. And you're not constantly opening the fridge letting warm air in. 

Mine's a freezer, not a fridge, & the minimal time the lid is open pouring a beer does absolutely nothing to the temperature of the beer housed in the kegs. The temperature around them settles very quickly.

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

Didn't @Beerlust build a keezer? I thought I saw some photos before.

I had all intentions of building the keezer with external taps, but the starter picnic tap setup I bought initially works so well being all housed inside the temp controlled freezer, I have seen no need to change it.

I've never been one much for "Bling", & approach things from a more practical angle a lot of the time.

Each to their own on this one. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hairy said:

...You are too Pragmatic, Lusty.

I've never heard that one could be "too" pragmatic.

Bling is, & has always been about those who want to show off. That ain't me.

Those that obsess in this space I've found to be fairly hollow & boring people without much substance once you move past this area with them.

Much like Kardashians.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 4