Coopers Community

re Coopers commercial yeast

worry wort

Mild ale, session ale, apparently they all use the same yeast.

I built a starter with some pale ale sediment from 3 longnecks to get it up to pitching. Don't know if it was necessary, but better safe than sorry. I'm going into 6th gen with it now, but should probably look at a fresh batch soon.

1 hour ago, elLachlano said:

Mild ale, session ale, apparently they all use the same yeast.

I built a starter with some pale ale sediment from 3 longnecks to get it up to pitching. Don't know if it was necessary, but better safe than sorry. I'm going into 6th gen with it now, but should probably look at a fresh batch soon.

when you say your going into 6th generation with it, what exactly does that mean, you keep the sediment from the batches you made from the original 6 stubbies worth of yeast? This is probably rudimentary stuff but I'm old and this is new, and I may not be a dog but its  a trick to me.

tks

ww

I recently used it for the first time in a Austalian Pale Ale, I followed Coopers instructions but used 4 long necks,,only because my mate and I were happy to put in the extra effort! 

I am loving it! It certainly gives the APA a different flavour profile and it tastes very similar to a commercial pale ale.

i have saved two jars of yeast for future brews.

1 hour ago, worry wort said:

when you say your going into 6th generation with it, what exactly does that mean, you keep the sediment from the batches you made from the original 6 stubbies worth of yeast? This is probably rudimentary stuff but I'm old and this is new, and I may not be a dog but its  a trick to me.

tks

ww

Yep. Coopers recommend using a lower ABV beer, like the Mild Ale

1 hour ago, worry wort said:

tks

ww

I harvest the leftover yeast from the bottom of the fermenter after each 23L batch - yes.

3 hours ago, Popo said:

Yeah, the Mid is ok to use.

Reactivating CCY

The above link has some good info on steps and amounts.

This is a great resource and what I used when first attempting using the Commercial yeast.

Although I obvs don't feel the need to puchase a new 6 pack for each batch of yeast. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

im sorry, I don't mean to labour this point but very keen to learn, so, you put down a brew, added the original yeast fm the coopers dregs, then when you bottled that brew, you kept the bottom inch or 2 from your fv and kept that as the culture for your next brew? I am keen to learn this. How long will it last before its too far removed from the original culture?

There's varying accounts on how many generations you can use with it keeping as close to original properties. Like I said, I'm about 6 gens in and it's still holding up, but everyone's got their own opinions. There a lot of factors that can also affect viability (how many healthy yeast cells vs dead useless ones you have on pitching) including abv of brews it's used on and also the storage time / conditions of harvested yeast.

Do a search on harvesting yeast for more info.

I do a pretty simple method that's just to mix up some cooled boiled water with the dregs of fermenter and then tilt it slightly to siphon off the middle layer that forms after about half hour of settling. I then refrigerate about 2L of this liquid and the yeast compacts over 48hrs or so. I then condense this by pouring most of the beery liquid off and moving the yeast to a smaller sanitized jar to refrigerate for next brew. It should keep a month or so. As always, cleanliness is key as well as clear and accurate labelling. And a sniff test before pitching is crucial!!

There are even simpler methods (saving a stubby of fermenter dregs while bottling and fridge for a month) and much more complicated ones too (see yeast washing etc).

1 hour ago, elLachlano said:

There are even simpler methods (saving a stubby of fermenter dregs while bottling and fridge for a month) and much more complicated ones too (see yeast washing etc).

Oh that sounds piss easy ... will have a bash at that ...  got some 34/70 in the vat right now so will save some ... 

17 hours ago, Hermoor said:

I recently used it for the first time in a Austalian Pale Ale, I followed Coopers instructions but used 4 long necks,,only because my mate and I were happy to put in the extra effort! 

I am loving it! It certainly gives the APA a different flavour profile and it tastes very similar to a commercial pale ale.

i have saved two jars of yeast for future brews.

I've just done this over the weekend. I've got 2 X 750ml jars with harvested yeast in the fridge.

Once they cold crash and settle out, I'll tip away the beer from on top.

When I want to use this for my next batch, do I have to make up a starter with water and malt? Or can I just swirl it around the jar to get it off the sides and bottom, and just pitch it as it?

Depends how much yeast there is, the volume and OG of the batch it's going into and how long it sits there before you use it again whether a starter would be required or not. 

I would just leave the beer in the bottles once the yeast settles out though, until such time as you pitch it into another batch/starter rather than tipping it out straight away. When it is time to pitch it, simply leave a little behind to aid in swirling it up again. 

19 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

can I just swirl it around the jar to get it off the sides and bottom, and just pitch it as it?

Hi Karlos

The above is what I do.  Harvest straight from the fermeter into sanitised jars.  Leave the separated beer in there too.

When I am ready to pitch, take straight out of fridge, pour off excess beer, leaving a little bit in, swirl until yeast and trub is mixed into a cream, stir wort in fermenter and then pitch.  Pour about 100ml of wort into the jar via fermenter  tap, swirl again to rinse and pitch. 

I have only gone 3 generations using this method without any issues. 

• Like 1

Sounds pretty straight forward. The answers you gave was what I was thinking just wanted to be sure. Just come across this video which pretty much clears up all questions so far on this thread.

I'm sure I've read that you shouldn't reuse the yeast in a lighter beer than what you just brewed. For example, I've just used CCA yeast in a pale ale, will prob use it for a toucan stout next. If I harvest the yeast then, it probably shouldn't be used for a lighter beer like a pale ale again. Is this right?

Theoretically it shouldn't, but a few do it without issue. 

If I was reusing yeast that way then I probably wouldn't go from a heavier beer to a lighter beer. It's nothing to do with the colour or flavour carryover because there'd be hardly any, it's more the higher alcohol content of the heavier beer. It might not be an issue but I feel like it might affect the health of the yeast. Coopers advise harvesting the CCA yeast from lighter ABV beers, presumably for this reason.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
6 hours ago, John E Miller said:

I'm planning to brew a couple of English style ales, such as dark mild and oatmeal stout...

Would Coopers commercial yeast's flavour profile suit these beers, or should I go with something like Safale S-04?

Coopers use it in their Dark Ale and the Best Extra Stout, so I reckon their yeast would go well in these styles.  Safale S-04 is also a good choice.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate this thread is a bit dated now but I'd just like to add the method I've been using to reuse CCA yeast. I obtained my initial yeast as per the Coopers video, following:
https://www.diybeer.com/au/brewing-support#video=5Mr_5FKxXMY

For subsequent generations, rather than stuffing around with trub in the FV and sterilising jars, I simply use the sediment from my own beer bottles. ie. Pour a beer, leave the sediment in the bottle, replace lid, put it back in fridge. Next bottle I drink I leave enough beer to be able to swirl the sediment out and pour that into the first bottle that I put back in the fridge. Once I've done that 3 or 4 times I have plenty of yeast to reactivate for a 23 litre brew. I reactivate as per the Coopers video, following:

This method has worked well for me. I like doing it this way because:
1. It's simple.
2. I think you get a longer life from your yeast ie. you are saving yeast AFTER drinking the beer and not BEFORE it's been bottled.
3. I don't see the point of sterilising jars. Your beer bottles have been clean enough to store your beer in, if the only thing going in them is sediment from your beer what are the chances of contamination? So long as you replace the lid and put back in the fridge quickly you should be fairly safe.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I appreciate this thread is a bit dated now but I'd just like to add the method I've been using to reuse CCA yeast. I obtained my initial yeast as per the Coopers video, following:

For subsequent generations, rather than stuffing around with trub in the FV and sterilising jars, I simply use the sediment from my own beer bottles. ie. Pour a beer, leave the sediment in the bottle, replace lid, put it back in fridge. Next bottle I drink I leave enough beer to be able to swirl the sediment out and pour that into the first bottle that I put back in the fridge. Once I've done that 3 or 4 times I have plenty of yeast to reactivate for a 23 litre brew. I reactivate as per the Coopers video, following:

This method has worked well for me. I like doing it this way because:
1. It's simple.
2. I think you get a longer life from your yeast ie. you are saving yeast AFTER drinking the beer and not BEFORE it's been bottled.
3. I don't see the point of sterilising jars. Your beer bottles have been clean enough to store your beer in, if the only thing going in them is sediment from your beer what are the chances of contamination? So long as you replace the lid and put back in the fridge quickly you should be fairly safe.

Well @MUZZY  you have inspired me to try something new ( well pinch your idea actually ) that is one of the best ways of have heard of, all of your 3 points make sense.

I wonder how long you could store it, or can you freeze it. The reason for that question was if you have saved yeast from say a Pale Ale & you want to do a Stout with a different yeast.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Well @MUZZY  you have inspired me to try something new ( well pinch your idea actually ) that is one of the best ways of have heard of, all of your 3 points make sense.

I wonder how long you could store it, or can you freeze it. The reason for that question was if you have saved yeast from say a Pale Ale & you want to do a Stout with a different yeast.

I'm unsure of shelf life as I generally use it pretty soon after gathering. What I tend to do is gather the sediment from the last few bottles to be drunk of a particular brew. I drink my beers chronologically. There's not very many tucked away for a rainy day at my joint.
I've never frozen it so I don't know about that.

Edited by MUZZY

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I'm unsure of shelf life as I generally use it pretty soon after gathering. What I tend to do is gather the sediment from the last few bottles to be drunk of a particular brew. I drink my beers chronologically. There's not very many tucked away for a rainy day at my joint.
I've never frozen it so I don't know about that.

Fair enough, I usually mark the last bottle to be taken from the fermenter so if it is horrid or a fail I know why, I have noticed the extra yeast/trub when deciding whether to squeeze another one out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I wonder how long you could store it, or can you freeze it

You cannot freeze the yeast without killing it unless you take special precautions - I think it is something like freeze it in glycol or similar.

Quick Google says it's glycerine - this site says that and glycerol which I presume is a brand of glycerine. https://www.jaysbrewing.com/2013/01/31/how-to-freeze-yeast-and-save-money/

Edited by Journeyman