Coopers Community

re Coopers commercial yeast

worry wort

31 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

You cannot freeze the yeast without killing it unless you take special precautions - I think it is something like freeze it in glycol or similar.

Quick Google says it's glycerine - this site says that and glycerol which I presume is a brand of glycerine. https://www.jaysbrewing.com/2013/01/31/how-to-freeze-yeast-and-save-money/

You know @Journeyman I am really not fussed or could be bothered with the whole process of stuffing around with the yeasts as there are so many available commercially & with the right choices, I am sure you can produce good beer with them.

HOWEVER don't get me wrong, I have never tried it & happy to stand corrected if I am wrong.  I have always kept stray packets of yeast in the fridge but my freezers don't have room for anymore anyway. So I guess I will plod on without creating another chore.

Cheers. 😀

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I have always kept stray packets of yeast in the fridge

Ditto. Those little suckers go in the fridge the moment I get them and only come out for breeding. 😄

I looked at the idea of frezzing them back when I started - gave the idea up for similar reasons - too much faff around. (which is also why I am unlikely to go to AG 😄 )

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Ditto. Those little suckers go in the fridge the moment I get them and only come out for breeding. 😄

I looked at the idea of frezzing them back when I started - gave the idea up for similar reasons - too much faff around. (which is also why I am unlikely to go to AG 😄 )

Most LBHS keep there yeasts in the fridge, but I called into one once & they weren't so I didn't bother to look around or ask him for any advice.

• Like 1

Has anyone harvested yeast from Coopers stout or sparkling ale? I know they don't advise it, but I'm keen to try a mix pack of the Coopers ales, rather than just six pale ales. 

Also, the non-alcoholic Birrell? Is this the same yeast strain and able to be reactivated? 

16 hours ago, Journeyman said:

You cannot freeze the yeast without killing it unless you take special precautions - I think it is something like freeze it in glycol or similar.

Quick Google says it's glycerine - this site says that and glycerol which I presume is a brand of glycerine. https://www.jaysbrewing.com/2013/01/31/how-to-freeze-yeast-and-save-money/

You mean you cant freeze yeast starters or slurry without those precautions? I had a quick read very interesting thread probably not something ill be jumping into straight away. I freeze my yeast packets from advise from otto before then they were just in the fridge. I successfully re-pitched my first slurry on Saturday whole dubbya 34 from brew before but lucky i had a read here. It came from a mid 4% brew and this one should be mid 5%. I was planning to re use it again and make another one in mid 4s but might hold off and just use 2 fresh packs for next one. 

I also have 4 stubbies of US-05 slurry in fridge for my next pale ale that will only be about 2 weeks old by time I'm ready to use it. Ive read people say you should be able to get 4 more brews from collected sturry but unsure if will risk only putting the one in or not.

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

You mean you cant freeze yeast starters or slurry without those precautions?

AFAIK it applies to dried yeast as well - at least that's how I took it. They are after all, still cells. It may not matter as much because they are dried and the glycerine is to prevent the cells rupturing as they freeze - less liquid might mean not so much damage?

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

Ive read people say you should be able to get 4 more brews from collected sturry but unsure if will risk only putting the one in or not.

AFAIK from what I've read elsewhere on here, the '4 times' thing is simply a precaution. I don't recall seeing anything definitive about it causing problems but those mentioning it are concerned about off flavours and so on. I don't recall seeing anyone say they HAD issues though.  I think if your hygiene is good and the slurry is kept cold, the yeast should be fine.

I think the major issue might be a slow start if you change beer types. From reading about yeasts my understanding is the yeast adapts to the environment so pitching (say) an ex-lager yeast into an ale might mean some extra time as the yeast breeds up to deal with the new conditions. Also in that case I'd think you'd need to brew the ale at a cooler temp. Going the other way might not be such a problem - just a day or so back I saw a post about a lager strain being brewed at 18° (I think it was that) with no issues at all.

@Journeyman i meant 4 stubbies worth of slurry and had been told by some people that was one per average gravity ale so 4 more brews from those 4. I think i might make a slightly higher gravity and use 2 to be careful. Ok i hope I'm not damaging my yeast from long term freezer storage. Has anyone else done this for a while with no problems? @Shamus O'Sean @Graubart @Hairy @Pale Man I've only been doing it for a month or so before then it was in the fridge.

• Thanks 1

Quick google search took me to another home brew forum that had a poster claiming to be from a yeast manufacturer. He claimed although it was fine to freeze dry yeast it actually stores better at fridge temperatures. He said that it was due to dry yeast still being 2% moisture so it was a tiny amount of damaging for each pack probably nothing would notice too much. I might go home and put it back in the fridge just in case as its in fridge at brew shops anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

Ok i hope I'm not damaging my yeast from long term freezer storage. Has anyone else done this for a while with no problems?

To be safe, I'd make a proper starter from each of the ones that have been in the freezer first. Then you know in advance if they are viable.

8 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

To be safe, I'd make a proper starter from each of the ones that have been in the freezer first. Then you know in advance if they are viable.

I think if I take them out after work they will be fine the last 3 brews I have done were all out of freezer for less than hour before pitching and took off like crazy. There are heaps of people who do it all time and say have no problem. I'll just feel more comfortable in fridge as it's how suppliers do it. It's only that 2% moisture thing that I'm taking out really not a lot overall.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John E Miller said:

Has anyone harvested yeast from Coopers stout or sparkling ale? I know they don't advise it, but I'm keen to try a mix pack of the Coopers ales, rather than just six pale ales.

I could be wrong, but I got the impression that Coopers use the same yeast in all their mainstream ales (Mid, Pale, Sparkling, Dark and Stout)

Just now, Shamus O'Sean said:

I could be wrong, but I got the impression that Coopers use the same yeast in all their mainstream ales (Mid, Pale, Sparkling, Dark and Stout)

That's right, but they advise against harvesting from the higher abv beers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

Has anyone else done this for a while with no problems?

For me, dry yeast goes in the fridge.  So do yeast slurries, harvests, starters, etc. 

Freezing in glycerine sounds interesting and supposedly the yeast remains viable for much longer.  Unfortunately, I have no spare freezer space to try it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John E Miller said:

That's right, but they advise against harvesting from the higher abv beers

Yeah, supposedly, the yeast gets more knocked around in the higher ABV environment and from processing more sugars.  Yeast from the Pale and the Mid is recommended.

There is no reason why you could not use yeast from the Sparkling or the Stout.  I would make it 8 stubbies worth instead, to compensate for possible less ferment-ability (for want of the right word).

RE: Your original question, though, I have not done it.  I did harvest from bottles of the Session Ale once and it worked fine.  I think it was around 4.2%.  It looks like Coopers has replaced it or renamed it Pacific Pale Ale; same colour scheme, different name.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John E Miller said:

PB2     318

I reckon I found the answer to my query as to whether Birell uses the same yeast:

The yeast strain for Birell only metabolises certain sugars and this is how we can ferment it to only 0.5%.

Wow that is bizarre... I would've thought they would ferment - then lower pressure low temp vacuum off the Alc - but not what PB2 advises... mmm.. Thanks JEM

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Graubart said:

Wow that is bizarre... I would've thought they would ferment - then lower pressure low temp vacuum off the Alc - but not what PB2 advises... mmm.. Thanks JEM

Exactly what I was thinking...😄 

Not really, I don't know enough of that science 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1