Coopers Community

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet

Not sure what data you mean - copy the Recipes tab, will that work as a short cut? I have borked my sheet before messing around with stuff, trying not to break it again...

I've fixed the Yeast Att cell, it had no formula in it. Had an older version and just copied the formula from there.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I just copy the details from the Coopers Recipe pages for my spreadsheet.  However, I will change the ABV for the Abbey Blonde to 5.2% in my spreadsheet.  Thanks for the pick-up.

No criticism on your work. I love the spreadsheet as it gives me quick access to vital info. Great work mate.

I also noticed that the Abbey Blonde is quite dark. Considering only light fermentables go in it, I guess the crystal malt is responsible for the colour. But it doesn't correspond with the picture on the website. It's more like an Abbey "Brunette" 🙂 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

No criticism on your work. I love the spreadsheet as it gives me quick access to vital info. Great work mate.

I also noticed that the Abbey Blonde is quite dark. Considering only light fermentables go in it, I guess the crystal malt is responsible for the colour. But it doesn't correspond with the picture on the website. It's more like an Abbey "Brunette" 🙂 

Don't get me started again on the Chubby Cherub. Beerlust is only just talking to me again...

No criticism here of the recipe sheet here either, but it does show up anomalies with Coopers recipes when you do independent numbers on them. Yes, the EBC on this one comes out at 9, where other 'blondes' with same/same similar bases I just brewed have been around 5. I might leave it out.

15 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Not sure what data you mean - copy the Recipes tab, will that work as a short cut? I have borked my sheet before messing around with stuff, trying not to break it again...

I don't know where your recipes get stored when you save them in the sheet - in LibreOffice on Linux Mint the button for that generates an error and doesn't do anything. I just assumed the Recipe sheet is where it puts them. Have a look and find the ones you've saved and simly duplicate the tab (if it creates a new one) then highlight all the data and copy/paste it.

To a COPY of your spreadsheet, OK? 😄 

18 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

I've fixed the Yeast Att cell, it had no formula in it. Had an older version and just copied the formula from there.

As far as I know, all the recipes are in the "Recipe" tab. It does say not to fiddle with it but you should be able to copy the lot out of the tab and into a new version of the spreadsheet. However if you added extra ingredients, kits or malt extracts, you will have to manually add them as well. 

Be aware that the recipes in the tab are in columns, not rows. I deleted a whole lot of "nonsensical data" at the bottom of the sheet....and then I noticed I couldn't load my recipes anymore...duh, I had cut half the stuff off and Excel didn't take too kindly to that, throwing "type mismatch" errors etc. Well, it does say not to fiddle with it but that didn't deter me from doing so 🙂 

• Haha 1

In the Cooper's Recipes SS, where it says 'steep' without 'hot' or 'cold' specified, any idea which it means? e.g. the Spirit of Anzac Ale says - Nelson Sauvin    25g    30 min steep. 

And I presume after a steep, I add just the liquid to the FV, not the hops as well?

23 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

In the Cooper's Recipes SS, where it says 'steep' without 'hot' or 'cold' specified, any idea which it means? e.g. the Spirit of Anzac Ale says - Nelson Sauvin    25g    30 min steep. 

And I presume after a steep, I add just the liquid to the FV, not the hops as well?

On similar subject, if I cold steep hops for one beer, can I use the hops for a hot steep, tea or boil them for bittering for another beer? Or even the same beer I guess, to get other characters from the hops? Or would the initial steeping take too much from the hops?

Also I see some beers I'd like to try that say cold steep for crystal or caramalt - can they then be boiled for a 2nd brew and get a result?

20 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Hops are always hot steeped and no they don't go into the fermenter as well. A cold steep is basically just a dry hop. 

OK, thanks. Is there a temp limit for how hot the water should be to steep?

Also see above re crystal/caramalt please?

When steeping hops it's usually done in water or wort around 80 degrees, but it's probably easier to simply bring it to the boil, turn it off and leave it for ten minutes then put the hops in to steep for 20 minutes or so.

Grains are one use only, and shouldn't be boiled. The resultant liquid is boiled after the grains are removed. Not sure cold steeping is worth it with lighter grains like that though, it's more used for darker roasted grains. With those ones just heat some water to about 70 degrees, pop in the grains and leave them in for 30-40 minutes, remove and boil the liquid.

• Thanks 1

Hey @Journeyman, I use an on-line Mixing Liquids of Different Temperatures calculator (such as https://rechneronline.de/chemie-rechner/mix-temperatures.php) to speed up the process a bit. 

I boil up some water.  I also know my hot tap comes out around 60°C.  Depending on the volume of water you need for the hot steep, I did some trial and error to figure out that for say a 1L steep I need about 600ml of boiling water and 400ml of my hot tap water.  Instant 80°C water for steeping those grains.  You will be boiling the wort produced, so it is okay to just use straight tap water for the steep.  I do not bother with keeping the temperature constant.  It will drop over to 30-40 minutes Otto mentions.  Your steep will still work fine though.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
Link didn't work

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey @Journeyman, I use an on-line Mixing Liquids of Different Temperatures calculator (such as https://rechneronline.de/chemie-rechner/mix-temperatures.php) to speed up the process a bit. 

I boil up some water.  I also know my hot tap comes out around 60°C.  Depending on the volume of water you need for the hot steep, I did some trial and error to figure out that for say a 1L steep I need about 600ml of boiling water and 400ml of my hot tap water.  Instant 80°C water for steeping those grains.  You will be boiling the wort produced, so it is okay to just use straight tap water for the steep.  I do not bother with keeping the temperature constant.  It will drop over to 30-40 minutes Otto mentions.  Your steep will still work fine though.

I have a 'modern' hot water system - even at the heater it will only heat to 50°C and it's about 43° at the tap in the kitchen. Apparently humans these days can't be trusted to know the red top (or H) means Hot and they might scald themselves. Nanny rules everywhere. As soon as I get the money, that's one 'improvement' we'll make. 😄 

I'm also not a big fan of things like fluoride in my water so I'll be using my RO system. 😄 So I don't have to worry about contamination from that source anyway.

@Otto Von Blotto  - I have a sous vide that I can use for anything up to 99°C - does boiling actually mean boiling, as in 100°C or over? Is 99 close enough? (not for this, but when I get into grains & wort instead of K&K)

Our old place had one of those shitty hot water systems too, but now we have one with proper hot water. When we had the solar installed it was changed from heating just about anytime hot water was used, to only running between 11am-2pm. It still stays hot unless someone uses a lot of it.

Anyway, boiling is just a good rolling boil. Temperature is irrelevant although it will obviously be at 100 or a little higher if it's boiling properly.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys, came across a 'foo-pah' in the Coopers recipe section for 'Cleopatra's Ass' or was it asp? Anyway, Coopers family secret ale 1.7kg is marked in for what you will get in kit, BUT in the instructions it's Mr Beer bewitched amber ale 1.3kg so I e-mailed Coopers as to which one & Mr Beer bewitched is the one for the recipe, problem is that the spread sheet has the secet ale marked in, how do I get this brought to somebodies attention to get corrected? (it's been corrected in the main recipe section)

Nice pick-up @Geoff S.  I have corrected the spreadsheet and attached below.

Coopers Beer Recipes V2.5.1.xlsx

For those who have not seen it before:

Spreadsheet functionality. 

• You can click on the recipe name to jump to the recipe on the Coopers website (for those in au only)
  • The little triangle icons beside each column title are auto-filters and can be used to sort the spreadsheet by the respective column
  • You can also use the drop boxes of the variables in each column to show those variables you want to see.  
  • For example, under Difficulty if you choose the Easy variable then only those recipes rated as Easy will be displayed
  • Or under Can 1, if you choose OS Real Ale only those recipes that have the Original Series Real Ale (as the main recipe can) will be displayed.  Unfortunately I am not clever enough to be able to show those recipes where Can 2 is a Real Ale

Any queries?  Post them to this thread.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Geoff S said:
17 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Hi guys, came across a 'foo-pah' in the Coopers recipe section for 'Cleopatra's Ass' or was it asp? Anyway, Coopers family secret ale 1.7kg is marked in for what you will get in kit, BUT in the instructions it's Mr Beer bewitched amber ale 1.3kg so I e-mailed Coopers as to which one & Mr Beer bewitched is the one for the recipe, problem is that the spread sheet has the secet ale marked in, how do I get this brought to somebodies attention to get corrected? (it's been corrected in the main recipe section)

G'day Geoff. You should try making it with the 1.7kg Secret Ale.  @Shamus O'Sean's typo might possibly be an award winning beer that has yet to be discovered. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps another recipe that needs some work. I have just done the Cog Work IPA and Coopers show it with an EBC of 12. According to IanH's spreadsheet it should be EBC of 34 and after mixing and putting it in the FV I can say that the colour aint EBC = 12. Mine may be a little darker as I ended up steeping the Chrystal malt (pale) for 36 hours rather than 24 as Coop's says but still using Amber Malt Extract it will end up considerably darker than EBC of 12.

8 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Perhaps another recipe that needs some work. I have just done the Cog Work IPA and Coopers show it with an EBC of 12. According to IanH's spreadsheet it should be EBC of 34 and after mixing and putting it in the FV I can say that the colour aint EBC = 12. Mine may be a little darker as I ended up steeping the Chrystal malt (pale) for 36 hours rather than 24 as Coop's says but still using Amber Malt Extract it will end up considerably darker than EBC of 12.

Thanks.  I will have a look at this one.

@James of Bayswater - first time stalker on this forum, and I notice you had the recipe converter in your initial spreadsheet.  I was curious regarding the extract volumes - 20-23L requires 1.7kg tins, but 8.5-10L requires 1.3kg tins (according to the Coopers recipes).  If I was to upsize an 8.5L recipe to a 23L vessel, would using a 1.7kg tin work, or would I have to use 2x1.3kg tins?

Sorry I don't have a specific recipe in mind, just a general question that I hope you can answer simply.

In my defense, I am only brewing my second batch now, haven't even tried my first batch of ginger beer, so be gentle!

10 minutes ago, Waynealford said:

If I was to upsize an 8.5L recipe to a 23L vessel, would using a 1.7kg tin work, or would I have to use 2x1.3kg tins?

Sorry I don't have a specific recipe in mind, just a general question that I hope you can answer simply.

Good question. 

I'd guess the 1.3L tins are all craft recipes and contain more than just the basic malt wort used in the more basic beers.

So yes, you can just use a 1.7L but you may not get the effect you expect without also adding to the recipe to match what went into the craft tin.
EDIT: To be a little more clear, I mean without adding the things missing from the 1.7L normal beer tins that are in the 1.3L craft ones, as well as the extras spec'ed in the spreadsheet.

Edited by Journeyman