Coopers Community

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet

• 4 weeks later...

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - May 2020 (Provisional)

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached. 

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V2.10.1.xlsx

I have added some columns at the end of the spreadsheet with links to the Coopers Recipe of the Month graphics/artwork/labels going back to February 2017 when I started brewing and joined the Coopers Community.  I have put these ROTM Artworks into an Album in the Gallery called RECIPE OF THE MONTH ARTWORK/LABELS.  You can access them there or use the links in the spreadsheet.  I hope the links work.  The entry in the relevant field is just the size of the artwork.  Download them to your computer to make labels for you bottles, cans, taps, etc.

Otherwise, spreadsheet functionality remains the same: 

• You can click on the recipe name to jump to the recipe on the Coopers website (for those in au only)
  • The little triangle icons beside each column title are auto-filters and can be used to sort the spreadsheet by the respective column
  • You can also use the drop boxes of the variables in each column to show those variables you want to see.  
  • For example, under Difficulty if you choose the Easy variable then only those recipes rated as Easy will be displayed
  • Or under Can 1, if you choose OS Real Ale only those recipes that have the Original Series Real Ale (as the main recipe can) will be displayed.  Unfortunately I am not clever enough to be able to show those recipes where Can 2 is a Real Ale
  • Any queries?  Post them to this thread.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

• 3 weeks later...

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - June 2020

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  June 2020 ROTM added:  Chris Woods' Fruit Of The Woods IPA (Master Of The Brewniverse 2020)Laneway Latte Stout.  Click on the recipe name in red for pdf's of these recipes.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V2.10.2.xlsx

I have added the recipe descriptions from the Coopers website in the Comment fly-out of the recipe name cell.  Just hover over the recipe name and the description will temporarily pop-up.

And as a reminder, I previously added some columns at the end of the spreadsheet with links to the Coopers Recipe of the Month graphics/artwork/labels going back to February 2017.  Download them to your computer to make labels for you bottles, cans, taps, etc.

• You can click on the recipe name to jump to the recipe on the Coopers website (for those in au only)
  • The little triangle icons beside each column title are auto-filters and can be used to sort the spreadsheet by the respective column
  • You can also use the drop boxes of the variables in each column to show those variables you want to see.  
  • For example, under Difficulty if you choose the Easy variable then only those recipes rated as Easy will be displayed
  • Or under Can 1, if you choose OS Real Ale only those recipes that have the Original Series Real Ale (as the main recipe can) will be displayed.  Unfortunately I am not clever enough to be able to show those recipes where Can 2 is a Real Ale
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Shamus - I don't do the kits meself anymore but what you have got going here is pretty legendary - great effort!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  July 2020 ROTM added: Lamington Stout & Periscope Baltic Porter.  Click on the recipe name in red for pdf's of these recipes.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V2.10.3.xlsx

I have added the recipe descriptions from the Coopers website in the Comment fly-out of the recipe name cell.  Just hover over the recipe name and the description will temporarily pop-up.

And as a reminder, I previously added some columns at the end of the spreadsheet with links to the Coopers Recipe of the Month graphics/artwork/labels going back to February 2017.  Download them to your computer to make labels for you bottles, cans, taps, etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - August 2020

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  August 2020 ROTM added: Coopers Vintage Ale 2020 & Left Field Spiced Lager.  Click on the recipe name in red for pdf's of these recipes.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V2.10.4.xlsx

As a reminder, I previously added some columns at the end of the spreadsheet with links to the Coopers Recipe of the Month graphics/artwork/labels going back to February 2017.  Download them to your computer to make labels for you bottles, cans, taps, etc.

• Or under Can 1, if you choose OS Real Ale only those recipes that have the Original Series Real Ale (as the main recipe can) will be displayed.  Unfortunately I am not clever enough to be able to show those recipes where Can 2 is a Real Ale
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amberfiend said:

oh wow, im new here and was almost about to go on a noob question rampage, finding this will probably save both me and all you guys a lot of annoying and unecessary questions yeah 😉 fantastic work, looks super informative

I made the spreadsheet for mysef to start with and found it really helpful.  Then I thought that other folks on the Forum might get value from it.  But James of Bayswater (now @Thirsty Jim) was ahead of that game.   After a while, Jim stopped updating the topic, so I stepped in.

I included some ideas I got from Jim.  I add features to the Spreadsheet as ideas come up or people suggest improvements.  One of the guys on the Forum was working on a database version, but it is a huge job.  

It is really handy when somebody asks "I have a can of Real Ale, some Galaxy hops and Crystal Malt grains, what can I make with it"

Cheers and good brewing 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

It is really handy when somebody asks "I have a can of Real Ale, some Galaxy hops and Crystal Malt grains, what can I make with it"

Cheers and good brewing 

As you know Shamus I am into the Grain thing now but honestly I think your spready and all the effort that goes into it is honestly outstanding and every new budding brewer would be best directed towards it to help them get a quantum leap forward in brewing yer own tasty beer!!!

Great Stuff @Shamus O'Sean Shamus!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

honestly, coopers should be mailing some of you guys who share your knowledge so freely here a box of ingredients at least once a month. the encouragement it provides for first timers who will either continue on with it or drop out after one average brew shouldnt be discounted or taken lightly.. talking about about first time average brews ? why the hell do coopers put a light beer mix in their starter kit ? ffs are they trying to turn people away from the get go ? put a hairy bag of ingredients in yeah so first timers form an inseperable bond from the beginning lol. i recon im about a day or two from bottling that lager kit which i enhanced with extra dry malt and yeast but i will still be lucky if it hits the %4.2 mark based upon what the gravity reading is telling me so far ? so although it wasnt a lot of money in the grand scheme of things i still had to fork out extra to make sure the first brew even hits a standard alcohol volume.. so far from what ive tasted out of the hydrometer tube it tastes ok at least. not sure what to expect in 2+ weeks when its had a chance to go through last ferment in the bottles ? all good though, im sure i will enjoy it 😉 have already gathered a whole bunch of hops and a little grain for the next steps into this realm yeah, cant wait.. my silly over the top way of thinking is already planning a second kit to run in rotation lol

Edited by amberfiend
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Popping into say, I have signed up specifically for this resource and I thank you for your time and efforts here. Just made my first Father’s Day brew, and already looking to next one, as we all do I see. :) so again thank you. I’ll be sure to pop back and let you know what I chose and how it turned out. 

happy brewing to all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BeaconBrewer said:

happy brewing to all.

Good luck with that BeaconBrewer and let us know how it all turns out...

My one small hint... don't be afraid to try using the Coopers Brew Enhancers (dry) and the Coopers Liquid Malts that come in 1.5kg tins... there is goodness and opportunity there...

Think also that brewing Ales - at around 18 degrees - is often easier than doing Lagers to begin with ; )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mickep said:

Hey Shamus,

wondering if I'm using the Kit Extract spreadsheet correctly. If I'm making my own recipe do I need to insert the style of beer in column H3 or can I just use the "specialty beer" drop down?

TIA. 

This feature is for when you are aiming for a specific style.  You can compare your recipe to that style.

You do not have to use it as such.  You can change it Speciality Beer.  This drop down also changes the range of Volumes of CO2 or carbonation level you can select because it is style specific.  Speciality Beer gives you a pretty wide range to select.

• Thanks 1

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - September 2020

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  September 2020 ROTM added: Sparkling Tonic Amber Ale Out Of The Dark Saison.  Click on the recipe name in red for pdf's of these recipes.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V2.10.5.xlsx

The columns at the end of the spreadsheet have links to the Coopers Recipe of the Month graphics/artwork/labels going back to February 2017.  Download them to your computer to make labels for you bottles, cans, taps, etc.

• Or under Can 1, if you choose OS Real Ale only those recipes that have the Original Series Real Ale (as the main recipe can) will be displayed.  Unfortunately I am not clever enough to be able to show those recipes where Can 2 is a Real Ale
Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 9/9/2020 at 1:20 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - September 2020

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  September 2020 ROTM added: Sparkling Tonic Amber Ale Out Of The Dark Saison.  Click on the recipe name in red for pdf's of these recipes.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V2.10.5.xlsx 160.83 kB · 12 downloads

The columns at the end of the spreadsheet have links to the Coopers Recipe of the Month graphics/artwork/labels going back to February 2017.  Download them to your computer to make labels for you bottles, cans, taps, etc.

Excellent work fellas. FYI, the links do work from outside AU - mine open fine and I'm in Switzerland.

Will definately up the ante with my brewing - I can't get all of the ingredients here but the most important stuff can be found. Thanks !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - October 2020

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  October 2020 ROTM added: Coopers Hazy IPABitter Sweet Wheat.  Click on the recipe name in red for pdf's of these recipes.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V2.10.6.xlsx

Spreadsheet functionality: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 9/7/2020 at 7:32 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Good luck with that BeaconBrewer and let us know how it all turns out...

My one small hint... don't be afraid to try using the Coopers Brew Enhancers (dry) and the Coopers Liquid Malts that come in 1.5kg tins... there is goodness and opportunity there...

Think also that brewing Ales - at around 18 degrees - is often easier than doing Lagers to begin with ; )

Up to my 4th brew and loving the beer it makes. Doing the Trendy Trousers Ale as we speak at 18c. But back to the topic.. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - 20 October 2020 - The Voyage bonus edition

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  I have added The Voyage Recipe Packs

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V2.10.7.xlsx

Spreadsheet functionality: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mickep said:

Sorry in advance if this is a silly question. When I'm steeping hops without a boil is there anyway of calculating the impact on the IBU using the spreadsheet? 

Or does steeping not impart the bitterness of the hops?

Steeping does not impart much bitterness from the hops.  You cannot calculate it using the recipe spreadsheet on this thread.  Even the Extract Beer Designer (IanH) spreadsheet does not calculate it.  If you put in a hop and give it a very short boil, the spreadsheet will show a very small amount of bitterness.  The steep is less than a short boil.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:
22 hours ago, Mickep said:

Sorry in advance if this is a silly question. When I'm steeping hops without a boil is there anyway of calculating the impact on the IBU using the spreadsheet? 

Or does steeping not impart the bitterness of the hops?

Steeping does not impart much bitterness from the hops.  You cannot calculate it using the recipe spreadsheet on this thread.  Even the Extract Beer Designer (IanH) spreadsheet does not calculate it.  If you put in a hop and give it a very short boil, the spreadsheet will show a very small amount of bitterness.  The steep is less than a short boil.

Thanks Shamus. I think I understand the connection between OG and IBU's and how they influence BU:GU's for now I'm trying to aim for BU:GU of around .5 for my lagers just to try and get a handle on bitterness and balance.

Before I'd really understood this my last brew had a BU:GU of .76 would that be exceptionally bitter? It certainly tasted that way at FG.

My last two brews I've introduced cracked light crystal malt and POR hops. Both steeped. 2nd Last brew the LCM was steeped in 2 ltrs of water O/N in the fridge and brought to the boil the next day and then had 25 grams of POR hops added at flame out for 15 minutes. (BU:GU .76) 

Last brew I've done I steeped 250 grams LCM after O/N in the fridge with 2 Ltrs of water. Brought to the boil and boiled for 10 minutes. at flame out added 16grams of POR hops to the pot and steeped for 10 minutes. Is what I'm doing okay? There's seems to be a lot of bitterness, could the LCM and the way I'm introducing it to the brew be a problem? TIA

11 hours ago, Mickep said:

There's seems to be a lot of bitterness, could the LCM and the way I'm introducing it to the brew be a problem?

Your process sounds right with the Light Crystal Malt.

You should not get any perceptible increase in bitterness from a hop steep.  Certainly not with the amounts you are steeping (25g and 16g)

BU:GU of 0.76 would not be exceptionally bitter.  More noticeable than in a basic lager, but not IIPA territory.

Maybe there is something else going on in your brew creating a bitter taste.

• Thanks 1