Coopers Community

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet

This thread is the home of the Cooper's Recipe Spreadsheet.  It has been around for a while now but has never had a place to live that is easily found.  I update it with the release of the new recipes of the month and I will post the updates to this thread.   

The spreadsheet lists the vital statistics (Alc/Vol, IBUs, EBC's, Volume) of each brew and lists the ingredients (base kit, fermentables, hops, grains). It does not list the quantities of the ingredients but each brew title is hot linked to its recipe page on this site.  

The spreadsheet looks like this -

Coopersspreadsheet1.jpg

The little arrows that are alongside the titles of the columns are auto-filters.  Click on them and they will produce drop boxes of the variables in each column.  For example, under difficulty if you choose the Easy variable then only those recipes rated as Easy will be displayed.  

The spreadsheet also details the recommended recipes for each of the base kits, a breakdown of the ingredients of Coopers Adjuncts, a legend to decypher the acronyms on the spreadsheet, a colour chart and no doubt other stuff as time goes by.  These can be accessed from the tabs at the bottom of the sheet.

The lastest edition of the spreadsheet as at 23 February 2019 is attached.

Subsequent updates will be posted to this thread. 

Any queries ?  Post them to this thread.

Coopers Recipes v1.4.xlsx

• Like 15
  • Thanks 14

As of February 2019 (Version 1.4) there are 176 recipes on the Coopers Recipe data base and they are rated easy, Intermediate, Advanced and Expert.

Easy recipes (26 recipes in total) are those that do not require hop or grain additions (although the can include other ingredients added to the wort)
Intermediate recipes (84 ) generally involve some hop additions but rarely involve grains
Advanced recipes (50) are those that involve grains and usually additional hops, and
Expert recipes (16) may involve hops and/or grains but always involve reconstituting Coopers commercial yeast from the bottle.

The following lists record the frequency of each ingredient.  It might help if you were building your inventory...

BASE KITS

The most required base kit in the 176 recipes is the Australian Pale Ale which features in 24 recipes.

24 x Australian Pale Ale
19 x Bewitched Amber
17 x NW Pale Ale
13 x Real Ale
11 x Preacher's Hefe Wheat
9 x Diablo IPA
9 x Canadian Blonde
8 x Winter Dark Ale
7 x Long Play IPA
6 x Brew A
6 x Dark Ale
6 x European Lager
6 x Lager
5 x 86 Days Pilsner
5 x Innkeepers Daughter
4 x Devils Ruby Porter
4 x English Bitter
4 x Irish Stout
3 x Churchill Nut
3 x Draught
3 x Mexican Cerveza
3 x Stout
2 x Bootmaker Pale
2 x Golden Crown 
1 x Family Secret Amber

NB : some recipes require two or more kits which is why the list doesn't total to 176

ADJUNCTS

The most popular adjunct to the Cooper's Recipes is Light Dry Malt which features in 65 of the 176 recipes

65 LDM (Light Dry Malt)
27 Pale UHME  (Pale Unhopped Malt Extract - Mr.Beer)
25 SmoothUHME (Smooth Unhopped Malt Extract - Mr.Beer)
22 TCAME (Thomas Cooper Amber Malt Extract)
19 Dextrose
8 TCLME (Thomas Cooper Light Malt Extract)
8 GoldenUHME ( Golden Unhopped Malt Extract - Mr.Beer))
8 RobustUHME (Robust Unhopped Malt Extract - Mr.Beer)
5 TCDME (Thomas Cooper Dark Malt Extract)
6 BE1 (Brew Enhancer #1)
6 BE2 (Brew Enhancer #2)
5 BE3 (Brew Enhancer #3)
5 TCWME (Thomas Cooper Wheat Malt Extract)
3 Brown Sugar
2 Brewing Sugar
2 Lactose

HOPS

The most required hop of the recipes on the database is Cascade which is required in 20 recipres

20 Cascade
10 East Kent Goldings
9 Galaxy
8 Stryian Goldings
8 Saaz
8 Centennial
8 Chinook
8 Nelson Sauvin
8 Bravo
7 Falconer's Flight
7 Fuggle
6 Willamette
6 Challenger
5 Simcoe
5 Citra
5 Mittlefreu
4 Columbus
4 Vic Secret
4 Mosaic
3 Perle
3 Bramling Cross
3 Challenger
3 Amarillo
3 Riwaka
3 Calypso
3 Melba
3 Tradition
3 Northern Brewer
3 Enigma
3 Helga
3 Motueka
2 Ella
2 Topaz
2 Pacific Jade
2 Bavaria
2 Tettnanger
1 Hersbucker
1 Danali
1 Aramis
1 Splat
1 Progress
1 First Gold
1 Hallertau
1 Equinox
1 El Dorado
1 Demerara Sugar
1 Molasses
1 Golden Syrup

YEASTS

The Kit yeast is required in 36 of the recipes on the database.  US-05 yeast is equally in demand

36 Kit
36 US-05
21 w-34/70
18 Nottingham
18 Coopers comm
9 BRY-97
8 Munich
7  S-04
4 T-58
4 S-33
4 Belle Saison
3 K-97
3  S-23
2 Munich Classic
2 London ESB
2 WB-06
2 Abbaye
1 Munich Wheat
1 English Ale
1 Windsor
1 BE-134

GRAINS

The most required grain is Crystal Malt which is specified in 27 recipes...

27 Crystal Malt grains
13 Chocolate malt
7 Midnight Wheat
6  Dark Crystal
3 Caramunich I
3 Roasted malt
3 Roasted Barley
2 Caramel Pilsner
2 Crystal Wheat
2 Caramel Hell
2 Coriander Seed
1 Carafa III malt
1 Carared malted
1 Caramunich III
1 caramel Rye

• Like 6
  • Thanks 11

Ingredientscaler.jpg

The latest addition to the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is an ingredient scaler.  It converts the quanity of ingredients required for a brew in the large fermenter to the quantity required for the small fermenter.  

For example condider the ingredients for a Spirit of ANZAC Ale brewed to 23 litres:

1.7kg Coopers Real Ale
500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
300g Coopers Dextrose
50g Roasted Malt Grain
25g Nelson Sauvin Hop Pellets
250g Coopers Carbonation Drops

The scaler converts the recipe to 8.5 litres (or any quanity at all) and scales the ingredients proportionally :

628g Coopers Real Ale
185g Coopers Light Dry Malt
111g Coopers Dextrose
18g Roasted Malt Grain
9g Nelson Sauvin Hop Pellets
92g Coopers Carbonation Drops

This should produce identical beer to the 23 litre recipe.  

A full recipe scaler is included.  Enter the brew volumes on the top line, the ingredients and quantities for 23 litres and it will convert the entire bill.

recipescaler.jpg

Qwuantity ?  Nobody's perfect...

The Scalers can be found as the last tab on the bottom on the spreadsheet.  New version attached. 

Coopers Recipes v1.4a.xlsx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Hi James,

You are obvisiouly some sort freak of nature with excel. because what you have done is amazing.

Just wonder though, on the Recipe Scaler, where you have Anzac Ale, could you not have a drop down menu thing, which you can select a recipe, then it auto fills the ingredients table?

I peronsally have very little knowledge if this is possible or how difficult.

5 hours ago, MrRobarto said:

The hot links dont seem to work for me when trying to click on them. Any advice? Cheers and great work

Only guessing here. Have you downloaded the file locally? You will also need to “enable” editing and links etc. There should be a message bar at the top if you haven’t.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Folks - Time for an update.

I have been maintaining a similar spreadsheet to @James of Bayswater from about the time he created his.  It has been a little while since the last update so I am attaching a copy of my spreadsheet.  It includes the ROTM released today.

My spreadsheet is similar in functionality. 

• You can click on the recipe name to jump to the recipe on the Coopers website (for those in au only)
  • The little triangle icons beside each column title are auto-filters and can be used to sort the spreadsheet by the respective column
  • You can also use the drop boxes of the variables in each column to show those variables you want to see.  
  • For example, under Difficulty if you choose the Easy variable then only those recipes rated as Easy will be displayed
  • Or under Can 1, if you choose OS Real Ale only those recipes that have the Original Series Real Ale (as the main recipe can) will be displayed.  Unfortunately I am not clever enough to be able to show those recipes where Can 2 is a Real Ale

Any queries ?  Post them to this thread.

Cheers Shamus

Coopers Beer Recipes V2.0.xlsx

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Chaps

Like James, I just wanted a list of the Coopers recipes that I could search easier than the recipes on line.  You can filter the Coopers recipes to a degree, but in my mind not enough.  It is especially useful if you have a can of Coopers concentrate and are looking for some inspiration for what to make with it.

Occasionally somebody on the forum would ask:  I've got a can of APA and some Amarillo hops, what can I make with them?  I could just look up the spready and post an answer or two.

I hope it is useful for others.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

It is especially useful if you have a can of Coopers concentrate and are looking for some inspiration for what to make with it.

Occasionally somebody on the forum would ask:  I've got a can of APA and some Amarillo hops, what can I make with them?  I could just look up the spready and post an answer or two.

I hope it is useful for others.

Definitely useful. Speedier than using the Coopers filter method and a bit more info to boot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks - Update time.  New version includes the ROTM released this week.

Spreadsheet functionality. 

• You can click on the recipe name to jump to the recipe on the Coopers website (for those in au only)
  • The little triangle icons beside each column title are auto-filters and can be used to sort the spreadsheet by the respective column
  • You can also use the drop boxes of the variables in each column to show those variables you want to see.  
  • For example, under Difficulty if you choose the Easy variable then only those recipes rated as Easy will be displayed
  • Or under Can 1, if you choose OS Real Ale only those recipes that have the Original Series Real Ale (as the main recipe can) will be displayed.  Unfortunately I am not clever enough to be able to show those recipes where Can 2 is a Real Ale

Any queries?  Post them to this thread.

Cheers Shamus

Coopers Beer Recipes V2.1.xlsx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks - Update time.  New version includes the September 2019 ROTM released this week.

Cheers Shamus

Coopers Beer Recipes V2.2.xlsx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2019 at 12:09 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Folks - Update time.  New version includes the September 2019 ROTM released this week.

Cheers Shamus

Coopers Beer Recipes V2.2.xlsx 68.66 kB · 6 downloads

For some reason Excel won't open this file for me?   V2.1 is OK.