Coopers Community

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet

8 hours ago, BlackSands said:

For some reason Excel won't open this file for me?   V2.1 is OK.

Give this a try Blacksands or anybody else with issues opening the file.  I do not think I have done anything different on V2.2  For V2.2.1 I just went back to 2.1 and added in the latest two ROTM.  Hopefully it works for you this time.  These files were saved in an ancient Excel 2010.

Maybe it is an internet setting you have?  Although if V2.1 opened for you then that is not probably it.

Anybody else having problems opening the file? (I see that @Gazzala can open it)

Coopers Beer Recipes V2.2.1.xlsx

16 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Give this a try Blacksands or anybody else with issues opening the file.  I do not think I have done anything different on V2.2  For V2.2.1 I just went back to 2.1 and added in the latest two ROTM.  Hopefully it works for you this time.  These files were saved in an ancient Excel 2010.

Maybe it is an internet setting you have?  Although if V2.1 opened for you then that is not probably it.

Anybody else having problems opening the file? (I see that @Gazzala can open it)

Coopers Beer Recipes V2.2.1.xlsx 68.79 kB · 2 downloads

Same problem.  I'm using Excel 2010 also.  When I launch this sheet the Excel startup screen appears briefly and then vanishes. And that's it.  🤔 

36 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Same problem.  I'm using Excel 2010 also.  When I launch this sheet the Excel startup screen appears briefly and then vanishes. And that's it.  🤔 

Hi @Coopers DIY Beer Team - Can you have a look at Version 2.2 of this attachment from your end to check it works for you?  Does this forum use something that might make some anti-virus software think a file we attach could be problematic?

Cheers Shamus

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks - New version includes the October 2019 ROTM released this week.  Cog Work IPA and Syrian Dragon Pale Ale

Spreadsheet functionality. 

• You can click on the recipe name to jump to the recipe on the Coopers website (for those in au only)
  • The little triangle icons beside each column title are auto-filters and can be used to sort the spreadsheet by the respective column
  • You can also use the drop boxes of the variables in each column to show those variables you want to see.  
  • For example, under Difficulty if you choose the Easy variable then only those recipes rated as Easy will be displayed
  • Or under Can 1, if you choose OS Real Ale only those recipes that have the Original Series Real Ale (as the main recipe can) will be displayed.  Unfortunately I am not clever enough to be able to show those recipes where Can 2 is a Real Ale

Any queries?  Post them to this thread.

Cheers Shamus

Coopers Beer Recipes V2.3.xlsx

• Like 2

Shamus,

I have lost my copy of Excel 2007 in a computer crash (which has contributed to my absence) but the following works for me in Open Office.

Click on the auto filter on Can 1 and choose 'Standard Filter'.  This opens a dialogue box  that containd filter criteria with columns for :

Operator,    Field Name,     Condition   and     Value.

From the drop down box under Field choose 'Can 1' , the Condition '=', and the Value OS Real Ale
On the second line choose the Operator 'OR'   under Field choose  'Can 2',  the Condition '=',   and the Value  Real Ale
Click OK

What results is a list of all recipes that contain Real Ale in either Can 1 or Can 2 columns.

The Spreadsheet is awesome.

• Like 3

On 9/14/2019 at 3:23 PM, squarerootnegative1 said:

I can open it up, no problem via LibreOffice spreadsheet. Imports nicely as well. 👍

Thanks for such a nice reference, Shamus.

My LibreOffice opens it (Linux Mint 91.x) but the hyperlinks are almost unreadable - some kind of border effect or shadow that I can't remove. However if I Save As, put XLS as extension so I don't overwrite original and choose ODS file type, then close and reopen, I can read the shaded/shadowed/whatever text like the hyperlinks. However I lose the drop-down 'choose a type' option. Grrr... (can't seem to successfully edit the hyperlinks)

Excellent work by all who provided the info. Thank you very much. 

I particularly like that I could choose OS draught and get possibilities to look at for 2 x old cans I have.

50 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

After some testing...

I can either have the drop down boxes OR I can read the hyperlink and other labels in cells. If I Save As into ANY format except Excel .xlsx I lose the drop down choices. See attached. Note it is the original v2.3 sheet.

Copy/paste the column, then remove the hyperlink. That should give you a text version of it.

@Journeyman or just change the font colour for the recipe Name column to something that is readable against the grey shading

Some of the more observant of you may have noticed that Column J is hidden.  Column J is a clickable hyperlink showing the URL of the recipe.  I decided to hide that column and make the recipe Name a clickable hyperlink to reduce the width of the spreadsheet.  In Excel, To see Column J, click on Column I and drag across to Column K, then right click and select Unhide.  Not sure if that will help you, but it will give you a column with a hyperlink.  You could then click and drag to select the recipe Names and Remove the Hyperlinks from those cells.  Then format the recipe Name text however you want.

If the version with drop-downs does not allow you to click on the hyperlinks, if you Unhide Column J, the hyperlink text will at least be there and you could copy and paste it into a browser to find the recipe.  Pretty cluncky, but maybe a workaround.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Unfortunately I'd like both the readable column with links direct to Coopers recipe pages AND the drop downs.  le sigh...

If you have a hotmail or something account, you can use Excel online. I just tried and it seems to work fine.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:16 AM, Journeyman said:

Hah! LibreOffice is my B.....! 😄

Had to do [Tools] [Options] [LibreOffice] [Application COlours] and change the hyperlink choices - NOW I can see what it says. 😄

I'm using Mint (19.2) as well, but with a dark theme for everything. I am glad you fixed it, but in the future -> the OS theme (e.g., mint-x dark) can interfere with other themes (e.g., libre-offices). It looks a little of that may have actually been going on as well - with the solarized looking colours. I've had a similar issue with Thunderbird.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, squarerootnegative1 said:

I'm using Mint (19.2) as well, but with a dark theme for everything. I am glad you fixed it, but in the future -> the OS theme (e.g., mint-x dark) can interfere with other themes (e.g., libre-offices). It looks a little of that may have actually been going on as well - with the solarized looking colours. I've had a similar issue with Thunderbird.

Yeah, dark themed here as well. I'm not sure why people like those glaring white screens in their apps. 😄

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks - New version includes the November 2019 ROTM.  Turbo Charged American Pale Ale and Wort Hog American Pale Ale.  Also made the first column black text.  Hopefully for those using different softwares to open the spready should see the black text clearer.

• You can click on the recipe name to jump to the recipe on the Coopers website (for those in au only)
  • The little triangle icons beside each column title are auto-filters and can be used to sort the spreadsheet by the respective column
  • You can also use the drop boxes of the variables in each column to show those variables you want to see.  
  • For example, under Difficulty if you choose the Easy variable then only those recipes rated as Easy will be displayed
  • Or under Can 1, if you choose OS Real Ale only those recipes that have the Original Series Real Ale (as the main recipe can) will be displayed.  Unfortunately I am not clever enough to be able to show those recipes where Can 2 is a Real Ale

Cheers Shamus

Coopers Beer Recipes V2.4.xlsx

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update. 😄

But you can click the arrow for can 2 and make a choice that then gives the can choice there.

Or do you mean choosing Real Ale in Can 1 ALSO brings up those where Can 2 is Real Ale? For some reason Can 1 and Can 2 have different lists. e.g. in Can 1 it's OS Dark Ale & OS Real Ale but the Can 2 choices are Dark Ale & Real Ale. Could that be why it doesn't find Real Ale (e.g.) for Can 2 when you choose it in Can 1?

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

Unfortunately when you select OS Real Ale in Can 1 it does not bring up the entries in Can 2 that are also OS Real Ale.  However, @James of Bayswater mentioned a method of doing that a few posts above.  The function is "Standard Filter".  I do not seem to have it in my version of Excel.  I did some googling and found a way for me to be able to show the rows with Real Ale in column Can 1 and Can 2.  However, it was a bit clunky.

It has nothing to do with OS Real Ale in Can 1 being called Real Ale in Can 2.  That is just sloppy data on my behalf.  However, I will fix this in the next version.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks - New version includes the December 2019 ROTM:  Maine Moose White Ale and Gingerbread Ale.  

Cheers Shamus

CoopersBeerRecipesV2.5.xlsx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just looking at doing the Abbey Blonde next. Coopers ABV looks off here. It's only 1.5kg of fermentables, so I'd expect 5.5% and confirmed in IanH sheet. Coopers have it at 6%. They do specify 2 Belgian yeasts packs, so are they expecting the FG to go lower than usual? IanH sheet only accept one yeast for its calcs.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Just looking at doing the Abbey Blonde next. Coopers ABV looks off here. It's only 1.5kg of fermentables, so I'd expect 5.5% and confirmed in IanH sheet. Coopers have it at 6%. They do specify 2 Belgian yeasts packs, so are they expecting the FG to go lower than usual? IanH sheet only accept one yeast for its calcs.

Yes @Lab Rat,  This has come up before.  @Aussiekraut noticed the same issue:

I think Coopers have got it wrong.  Maybe the recipe was changed at some time, but the ABV was not adjusted.  Or it could just be a typo.

The IanH spreadsheet lets you select the yeast type.  The two yeasts recommended do not attenuate that well: 70% compared to average of 75%.  Therefore, likely to be even less ABV.

I just copy the details from the Coopers Recipe pages for my spreadsheet.  However, I will change the ABV for the Abbey Blonde to 5.2% in my spreadsheet.  Thanks for the pick-up.

Wasn't meant to be a pick up of the spreadsheet, after all, it links to the recipes. But was interested in the ABV anomaly.

My IanH sheet has an issue, it's not picking up the yeast Att. It has these yeasts attenuation at 70%, but my sheet won't change when you select different yeast. It doesn't appear linked to them anymore. My sheet is stuffed, but I can enter the Att manually and it calcs the Abbey Blonde to 5.2%

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 1