Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

3 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Please post your method

Brine 2 litres water, 100g salt 50-75g sugar, bay leaves, dill,  garlic, celery, parsley, whatever you like really, but thats what I use. 

Brine overnight, dry, leave in the fridge over night for pellicle, cold smoke as low as possible for 10 - 12 hours, depending on the size of ya fillets and how smokey ya want it. My friend will smoke for days sometimes. He has an old cabinet that he pushes smoke through with the use of an extraction fan.

• Thanks 1

@NewBrews when I do a pork on the spit, inject it first with a 1/4 cup maple syrup, then marinated it it another 1/4 cup of maple syrup mixed with 2 x tbsp balsamic vinegar, 2 x tbsp wholegrain mustard and 1 tbsp fresh crushed garlic.  Marinate overnight.

Next day on the spit, as the maple syrup oozes out during cooking to glaze, baste with the remaining marinade so wholegrain mustard seeds stick to the outside and roast with meat  Very yummy.  My wife's favorite spit roast.  Give it a go.

Do a similar thing with beef but use port.

Cheers - AL

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Looks perfect Ben

Mate, the fish was frozen when I got it.
What do I do now? Vac seal and fridge? Best not to freeze again?
I know land creatures very well, not so much water ones.

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

Mate, the fish was frozen when I got it.
What do I do now? Vac seal and fridge? Best not to freeze again?
I know land creatures very well, not so much water ones.

I’ve always vac sealed and fridged. It’s cured so it’s preserved. But yes don’t freeze as I’ve found it can go mushy. 
I wouldn’t take too long to eat it though, but only cause I don’t know your curing method 

Is it Barra?

Edited by The Captain!!

8 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Is it Barra?

Coral Trout.

IMG_20200501_065527.thumb.jpg.bf173d1e5ccbe2cfef3c654f56d03af4.jpg

I used silimar to this

2 1/2 to 1-inch thick trout fillets (or halves, or a whole fish, cleaned)

2 quarts water

1/2 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon pink curing salt #1 

2 bay leaves (crumbled or torn)

1 whole clove

4 whole allspice

1/2 teaspoon dried sage

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Coral Trout.

Number One eating fish of the seas Plectropomus leopardus.... closely followed by Red Emperor... and Spanish Mack is up there too.... ha ha.

Best eaten fresh not frozen... if possible.... but "Benny-Smoked" I am sure will be laaaarvely.

Fresh caught... a fillet cooked... for me I think the very first - caught off Goldsmith Island [(East Coast) Whitsundays-ish] - come back into the island.... barbie up.... on a fresh breadroll.... as @Norris! says... AMAZEBALLS...

And that was 25 years ago ha ha.... so musta been tasty ha ha!

image.png.ffb68f95043d110f5c3f829e4fd78f11.png

And is a beautiful fish as well...

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

Coral Trout.

IMG_20200501_065527.thumb.jpg.bf173d1e5ccbe2cfef3c654f56d03af4.jpg

I used silimar to this

2 1/2 to 1-inch thick trout fillets (or halves, or a whole fish, cleaned)

2 quarts water

1/2 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon pink curing salt #1 

2 bay leaves (crumbled or torn)

1 whole clove

4 whole allspice

1/2 teaspoon dried sage

Nice! Yeah that’ll be fine vac sealed and opened and eaten as you need. 
Coral trout is a great eating fish, I don’t think you can make trout bad.

@Bearded Burbler Trout is nice but not as good as BlueBone. 

31 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Trout is nice but not as good as BlueBone. 

Are you talking Venus Tusk Fish Kapitan - or what we over here call it - Parrot - some people call them Blueys.... very nice as well.... but naaargh sorry mate... I reckon that CT is better...

But it's all about personal choice tho I guess.... and they do have some blue-coloured bones... so that is why I am thinking you are talking Parrot...  very nice tasty white flesh

And very very nice in a fresh Serviche or Numus pickle ha ha....   Come what may - Parrot or Trout - or Emperor - or Red Throat - or Spanish... caught, treated well. and then eaten FRESH and NOT FROZEN makes such a difference...

image.png.689cbe20bd47148f2a83990d55d7ed81.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Are you talking Venus Tusk Fish Kapitan - or what we over here call it - Parrot - some people call them Blueys.... very nice as well.... but naaargh sorry mate... I reckon that CT is better...

But it's all about personal choice tho I guess.... and they do have some blue-coloured bones... so that is why I am thinking you are talking Parrot...  very nice tasty white flesh

And very very nice in a fresh Serviche or Numus pickle ha ha....   Come what may - Parrot or Trout - or Emperor - or Red Throat - or Spanish... caught, treated well. and then eaten FRESH and NOT FROZEN makes such a difference...

image.png.689cbe20bd47148f2a83990d55d7ed81.png

Not that type BB. 
This type. A mate of mine a few year’s ago in a blue bone comp. He won this particular year. 

BCB2C759-186D-4940-A73F-4AA4D689C628.jpeg

Ah. Nice Kapitan.

The blackspot tuskfish, Choerodon schoenleinii, is a wrasse native to the Indian Ocean and the western Pacific Ocean from Mauritius to Indonesia and Australia north to the Ryukyus.

Seems like Indian Ocean and Western Pacific  so have not seen him. 

Well mate - I cannot comment because I do not believe I have tasted such a delicacy.  

But am very happy with the Eastern version of the CT Plectropomus leopardus ha ha.

But I do commend your mate's holding out of the fish at arms' length for the Camera for that 'big-fish' photo ha ha!

58 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

But I do commend your mate's holding out of the fish at arms' length for the Camera for that 'big-fish' photo ha ha!

Ha ha ha that isn’t mate, it’s a 6kg and a 6.4kg Blue bone. They are massive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Talking Fish... fresh Tassie Salmon Fillets - bought not self caught - but came up very nice crumbed and a bit of olive oil on medium barbie... 

Got the really nice crispy crumb thing happening ; )

image.thumb.png.7f46ba159405cf040a122eb3c1f4f17b.png

• Like 3

On 5/6/2020 at 9:20 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Talking Fish... fresh Tassie Salmon Fillets - bought not self caught - but came up very nice crumbed and a bit of olive oil on medium barbie... 

Got the really nice crispy crumb thing happening ; )

image.thumb.png.7f46ba159405cf040a122eb3c1f4f17b.png

Hey Burbler @Bearded Burbler give you a tip. 

When crumbing your fish, mix in about 1 level teaspoon of lemon zest with your crumbs.  Mix it in as you would with your salt and pepper then crumb your fish as normal. 

In your words it will be bloooooody laaaarrrvvvverrrly mate.

And that fish looks so good I think it belongs on my plate not yours...

Cheers - AL

• Haha 2

On 5/7/2020 at 10:05 PM, iBooz2 said:

mix in about 1 level teaspoon of lemon zest with your crumbs.  Mix it in as you would with your salt and pepper then crumb your fish as normal. 

sounds bllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooody good to me Boozer - nice work - thanks - shall do - and then following on from that will try some other herbs maybe...

mix in to crumb mix...  or do you think that it might have difficulty sticking to fish... the lemon zest will have a bit of oil there hey?    Was thinking maybe Thyme... unless I mortar and pestle it up a bit and then put that through the crumb?

15 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

sounds bllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooody good to me Boozer - nice work - thanks - shall do - and then following on from that will try some other herbs maybe...

mix in to crumb mix...  or do you think that it might have difficulty sticking to fish... the lemon zest will have a bit of oil there hey?    Was thinking maybe Thyme... unless I mortar and pestle it up a bit and then put that through the crumb?

It depends on the crumbs I use,  the lemon zest can go into your egg wash along with the salt and cracked pepper and let it steep for a while before dunking the pre-floured fillets and rolling them in the crumbs.  I usually do it this way if using panko crumbs.

Yep I used to use herbs like Lemon Thyme a lot until it accidentally got moved out of range of the micro spray system and died.  New plant is not big enough to attack yet

My method with Lemon Thyme was to chuck some sea salt flakes, cracked pepper, Lemon zest and/or the Lemon Thyme into the M&P and grind it all up. Could steep this in the egg wash too.

Now if I could only get back out in my boat for a fish.  Running out of King George Whiting in the freezer damn it!

Cheers - AL

• Like 1