Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

I’m like a drug sniffing dog when it comes to onion. I can smell it a mile away

Well I guess that is the beauty of doing everything yerself - if yer don' like it - make a rub that you do like. 

But note that dried onion is way different to fresh onion.

And old stored for 11 months onion is not so good as fresh.  It's only harvested one month or two per year - and then the rest of the supply is out of stores. Unless imported which I would avoid and especially from China where human waste biosolids are used for fertilizer.  [If I am no longer here next month you know the Chinese Red Army Mafia have got me].

I sometimes take in some cooked tucker to work for the lads - and one really good fella says no garlic... I do a festive Hungarian Goulasch and flat noodles w plenty Garlic - he never notices.

Onion is something I use in a lot of my dishes and you would never know it is incorporated.  If you snort onion salt or dried onion or it is in rubs - yes big time you will notice it.

Anyway... if yer don' like it - just make up the rub without it.  You have the right to self determination when it comes to what you use on yer barbie Cob...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2020 at 6:14 PM, Ben 10 said:

Made some Jerky in the smoker today.

IMG_20200204_173717.thumb.jpg.ceaf586a06ceae379603426bdccc05bf.jpg

We've spoken in this space already. Great to see a pic of your jerky.

Looks ridiculously awesome as I knew it would.

I have blokes that come into my shop that would literally kill for jerky like this.

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Beef+Butter grated --> Smash on Barbie Burger plus caramelised onions.... very tasty and very quick. Yummo.

image.thumb.png.e58e407942f2caf79d837c02e80ac7f7.png

Hey BB, looks great. I also had a quick and easy bbq on the old Weber Q. Snags and T bones for the kids and I. Mushrooms, tomatoes and vegan sausages for the Mrs. Got a great local butcher that recently opened that have some really top quality stuff. 

20200208_181610.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

I also had a quick and easy bbq on the old Weber Q. Snags and T bones for the kids and I. Mushrooms, tomatoes and vegan sausages for the Mrs. Got a great local butcher that recently opened that have some really top quality stuff. 

Nice work mate - looks great HH!

....same piece of meat after 3 hours in the smoker.

SmokedSlowCookerBeef2_17-2-20.jpg

It's now inside my household slow cooker sitting on a bed of beef broth mixed with a bit of Coopers Dark Ale, onions, garlic, & a couple of bay leaves. It'll spend the next 4½ - 5hrs there.

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

Topside?

TBH mate I have no idea. I'm not a butcher's A-hole. This is the second half of a huge scotch fillet+ class piece I got from my butcher late last year. It was that big I cut it in half & cooked the first half on Christmas day. This 2nd piece has been in the freezer begging to be cooked.

Some might say "what a waste" slow cooking a high grade piece of meat this way, but it was time it was used, & it has some terrific marbling through it that should produce a beautiful tender & flavourful result.

Looking good & smelling awesome so far. 🙂

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Take a pic when you cut it if you remember.

Will do bud. It's not far away from removing to shred & mix back through the sauce phase.

1498070901621382667.jpg

I have my new Cobra Kai claw shredders in waiting...

...sweep the leg......do you have a problem with that?

...No Sensei. 😋

Lusty.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Take a pic when you cut it if you remember.

How about a short one handed carving video?...

Slow Cooker American Beef - Stage 3

Since that I've used the Cobra Kai shredder claws that made light work of shredding the meat. My first time using these & highly recommend them to save time with this process above the two fork method.

This shredded meat is now back in the slow cooker absorbing the sauce & caramelising a little further.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

I took a pic of a slammed together burger from the shredded meat. A pic of this rarely does it justice. I'm tired, so can't be bothered trying to make something look like a McDonalds ad burger. There are hamburgers, then there are these slow cooked shredded meat based burgers that are on another higher level altogether.

The two I managed to put together & consume tonight were ridiculously good. 😎

Lusty.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Looks lovely

Once the sauce absorbs back into the shredded meat it is awesome.

I really enjoy reading your posts in this space & have learned a great deal & continue to learn from you.

Edit: I think you're very talented & quite brilliant in this space.

Thanks. 👍

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust