Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

11 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Short ribs are beef, much much better than brisket.

I'm sure you're on the money mate, the brisket I did was shite really and I've done one of those stupid fancy smoker classes too where they show off their wares at the end of the course and let you get stuck into all the hot smoked meats they've cooked and I have to say the brisket they did was shite too. 

Your Pic of the ribs is worthy of a spot in some cooking magazine mate, they look amazing. In another life I used to film a cooking show so I know what good food is supposed to look like and your ribs are that and then some mate. Bloody beautiful stuff. 

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And a crack at a GPS... Green Papaya Salad... bit hard to get decent real green Papaya - this was me best bet - not so green - so used half and then grated in a freshly picked small-mid Zucchini... in the right direction but not the 'real thing'... still pretty tasty and snuck in a bit of nice bread (above) as am off the meat for the time being... suspect would be very nice with Chargrilled Satay Chook Skewers haha or some of @Green Blob Blobbers St Louis Ribblers!?! 😋

image.thumb.png.1c6150de71c23bd34bd6d616184041d1.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Graubart said:

And a crack at a GPS... Green Papaya Salad... bit hard to get decent real green Papaya - this was me best bet - not so green - so used half and then grated in a freshly picked small-mid Zucchini... in the right direction but not the 'real thing'... still pretty tasty and snuck in a bit of nice bread (above) as am off the meat for the time being... suspect would be very nice with Chargrilled Satay Chook Skewers haha or some of @Green Blob Blobbers St Louis Ribblers!?! 😋

image.thumb.png.1c6150de71c23bd34bd6d616184041d1.png

Kin awesome @Graubart I don't know what looks better the product or the  photos, very well done, shout yourself a drink HA HA, all of the healthy things ! I make bread as well it is very satisfying & fills the house with wonderful aromas. Whilst my dumb mates are in the pub waiting for the last flicker of light I am happy to be surrounded by the simple things in life, well hang on, I didn't mean I don't go out & am boring but you know what I mean. Great Artwork mate, I did that for a living so I appreciate it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

am boring

Nix boring

Folk who make their own good food including bread and beer and butchery bits are far from boring 

And people who have travelled this great Southern Land far and wide also...

And mmm... the GPS woulda been nicer had pawpaw been a bit greener but yer make do hey... was still taschty taschty haha 🥳

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Graubart said:

And a crack at a GPS... Green Papaya Salad... bit hard to get decent real green Papaya

Green mango works well too mate. If you are off the meat, prawns or some ceviche would go bloody well with that, otherwise some fried tofu.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Green mango works well too mate. If you are off the meat, prawns or some ceviche would go bloody well with that, otherwise some fried tofu.

Love love love Cerviches and Fresh Fish Nummus... am a bit far from the coast and good fresh fish vendors tho ; )   

Nummus was very nice when sitting on boat out at the Reef and with Parrot (Venus Tusk Fish) and with a fresh coconut milk from nut pinched onshore on the way out 😛

And yes I was just thinking I should try and find a nasty green mango at Woolies haha @Green Blob Blobber great call!?!

I should try using Tofu again... am gunna cook up a nice Vegetarian Curry with some Chickpeas... got a few fresh Zukes still and plenty other nice veg.

Thanks mate

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Graubart said:

am gunna cook up a nice Vegetarian Curry with some Chickpeas... got a few fresh Zukes still and plenty other nice veg.

Nothing wrong with Veg/Vegetarian Curries - good healthy alternative, its all about balance hot, sour, sweet, spicy & a glass or nine of wine. 🍷

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Graubart said:

This one is a beaut too - is a Wholemeal Blend and turned out very nicely - phhhharque it's making me hungry looking at it - and the next day bread is still very good... 

image.thumb.png.93f4d7c0c24ddb4a57adb6a11226c6c9.png

image.thumb.png.2d0a99759ead9b2f2df16614c5d975c1.png

Hey Grauber some nice sharp cheese, pickles & all that good with beer or wine.  💡idea:   'Graub's Mountain Top Brew & Bake'

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Green Blob said:

So.
Had reverse seared rib fillet the other day.
Cooked for about 45 in a smoker at maybe 60°c.

Smashed on the weber Q for maybe a minute each side.

So good.

@Graubart - BBQ thread mate, piss off to a bread thread.

Does sound good. 

Heard of Lamb Rack being done that way - think it was 40 mins at 120 and then smash on the Barbie.

...reckon it would definitely be worth a go. 

Come on now @Green Blob Blobski mate... every Barbie needs a bit of good Bread 👺

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok it's not on the Barbie - but is self caught meat and casseroled...... suspect @CLASSIC Phil would have done a way better job of the Rabbit - but it was my first crack so only took some hindquarter...  meat was bit tough so ended up cutting/deboned into smaller pieces... so my meat and spudski and Thyme...  white wine onion garlic oregano chook stock carrot balsamic black pepper n bit of other stuff...  evil Rabbit prior marinade in white wine and black pepper between morning catch and night cook...  finished with butter and fresh garden Thyme... will talk to one of me mates over here to get a better handle on prepping the rabbitses as think I am gunna keep catching a few...  (hope so from the pest control perspective and protection of house lawn and precious veggie garden) Thanks for the inspiration @CLASSIC Phil. 

image.thumb.png.f199199021a789885e2c511ca5e1ebca.png

9 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Ok it's not on the Barbie - but is self caught meat and casseroled...... suspect @CLASSIC Phil would have done a way better job of the Rabbit - but it was my first crack so only took some hindquarter...  meat was bit tough so ended up cutting/deboned into smaller pieces... so my meat and spudski and Thyme...  white wine onion garlic oregano chook stock carrot balsamic black pepper n bit of other stuff...  evil Rabbit prior marinade in white wine and black pepper between morning catch and night cook...  finished with butter and fresh garden Thyme... will talk to one of me mates over here to get a better handle on prepping the rabbitses as think I am gunna keep catching a few...  (hope so from the pest control perspective and protection of house lawn and precious veggie garden) Thanks for the inspiration @CLASSIC Phil. 

image.thumb.png.f199199021a789885e2c511ca5e1ebca.png

Well Graubster, I am glad you got some Rabbits, I still have some in the freezer, over Easter I am going to do another one a little different. 

I will attach my brining marinade recipe which I found to be perfect as it is left overnight in a sealed glass dish with a tight fitting lid.

METHOD: In a deep enough container place washed rabbit with

* 6 x cups water

* 1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar 

2 x cups fresh basil

1/3 cup fresh oregano chopped

1/3 cup tarragon chopped

6 x Tablespoons salt

2 x Tablespoons sugar

6 x Tablespoons crushed garlic

1 x tsp pepper flakes

3-4 bay leaves

RECIPE:

Do not add salt

In the morning discard marinade & wash rabbit thoroughly & joint in about 6-8 pieces & place in Slow Cooker

Cover with enough Chicken Stock/Wine/Water ( I used about 2l chicken stock, 2 cups white wine & topped with water )

Add fresh parsley/bay leaves/pepper corns, tear basil, oregano, tarragon, rosemary, thyme & add to cooker

2-3 cloves fresh garlic

Chopped Potatoes, Carrots, Celery, Onion about 2 cups each

Cook in Slow Cooker for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low ( mine has an Auto function, I used that ) you will know when it is cooked

Thicken if required otherwise serve with rice.

Kin Beautiful !!

Graubster, the recipe could be varied to to suit your taste, I had most of these herbs growing & probably got a bit carried away but I can assure you I will be doing it again. Cheers.

20210314_115348.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Rabbits, I still have some in the freezer, over Easter I am going to do another one a little different. 

Wow @CLASSIC Phil - you are the King of the Kitch and the tasty Kaninchen (Deutsch for Rabbitses)!

Yeah I need to chase up me mate to I can do a better job of utilising more of the animal. 

Looks like a really nice marinade and great recipe all up - beautiful - thanks mate.

My lesser recipe did follow your marinade to begin with - and then the white wine chicken stock lead so we are on convergent pathways here haha!

I was actually pretty chuffed with my first effort... but doing the fasting thing might make one appreciate yer tucker a bit more too haha!

Tho I was craving for a nice Schulz Semillon from the Barossa which woulda complemented this dish so well - or maybe a frothy Graubartigebräu Hefeweizen haha!?!

3 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Wow @CLASSIC Phil - you are the King of the Kitch and the tasty Kaninchen (Deutsch for Rabbitses)!

Yeah I need to chase up me mate to I can do a better job of utilising more of the animal. 

Looks like a really nice marinade and great recipe all up - beautiful - thanks mate.

My lesser recipe did follow your marinade to begin with - and then the white wine chicken stock lead so we are on convergent pathways here haha!

I was actually pretty chuffed with my first effort... but doing the fasting thing might make one appreciate yer tucker a bit more too haha!

Tho I was craving for a nice Schulz Semillon from the Barossa which woulda complemented this dish so well - or maybe a frothy Graubartigebräu Hefeweizen haha!?!

Well Graubster, as you know there are a million recipes on the net but lots of times it comes down to common sense, tried & trusted proven methods passed down by families for years.

When I was a kid growing up on the parents fruit/wine grape property we had plenty of opportunity to trap & shoot rabbits, Mum used to cook them fairly basic but there was always a variety of good food available as we lived near a lake & a river in the Riverland of SA, so there was also plenty of fresh fish/yabbies etc. We used to grow all of our vegetables & make bread etc.

These days I go to the supermarket & watch the next generation shopping & it really is a joke - they have no idea ! 

Cheers @Graubart Prost