Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

19 hours ago, yab said:

Hi Bbqers,

I am looking to buy a charcoal bbq. Weber's seem highly rated - any other tips? Looking to spend maximum $1,000.

Weber is a great brand and their products are top quality. I have a gas Family Q and love it but I offer a word of warning before you buy one - their accessories prices are over the top. While you might get a bargain buying the BBQ you can also get stung when you want to start adding to your purchase with things like pizza stones, cleaning scrapers etc.

21 hours ago, MUZZY said:
On 11/19/2021 at 6:09 PM, yab said:

Hi Bbqers,

I am looking to buy a charcoal bbq. Weber's seem highly rated - any other tips? Looking to spend maximum $1,000.

Weber is a great brand and their products are top quality. I have a gas Family Q and love it but I offer a word of warning before you buy one - their accessories prices are over the top. While you might get a bargain buying the BBQ you can also get stung when you want to start adding to your purchase with things like pizza stones, cleaning scrapers etc.

G'day Yab, @yab

I can only talk to my experience with charcoal BBQ's but would have to say that all of the Weber Charcoal range are fantastic.

Depends too I guess what you're trying to achieve - I love my Smokey Mountain the kids got me and love what it does. This range is not so easily converted to  direct charcoal cooking though. I used to have a Weber kettle ( Charcoal) and it was pretty much the goods, at least for me.  I'd say you'd easily be kitted out for a the Gorilla limit you've mentioned.

There are rip offs of the Weber (charcoal)  which smoke indirectly and will also enable you to cook on direct heat as well.....can't vouch for these.

Let us know how you go and what you end up with.

• 3 weeks later...

Used to do a Pickled leg of pork years ago on the Weber Kettle (Charcoal - heat beads) indirect cooking. Twas a little like a leg of ham when the cooking was done.

Tried a 2kg pickled pork butt on the weber smokey mountain yesterday and the result is surprisingly good. Smoked with hickory, and glazed with honey every half hour for about 4 1/2 hours. Smoked at 120 degrees C and took the pork off the heat when the internal temp hit about 77 deg C.  Might have been a tad to high that temp - I've noted that  some suggest that you take the Pork off the heat when the internal temp is between 65 deg C and 70 deg C. 

Tastes good. Might give this a crack for Xmas day.1454906842_HomemadeHam.thumb.jpg.595504e73477617584fcd34c0c6df930.jpg

666851011_HomemadeHam-4.thumb.jpg.780609f09571e6369d1de36ff82392ea.jpg

859813701_HomemadeHam-5.thumb.jpg.a3bd3951416cfd8354478d61c1fccad2.jpg

1242558097_HomemadeHam-3.thumb.jpg.98616ce09d6b206e6575cda75b0655e5.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Used to do a Pickled leg of pork years ago on the Weber Kettle (Charcoal - heat beads) indirect cooking. Twas a little like a leg of ham when the cooking was done.

Tried a 2kg pickled pork butt on the weber smokey mountain yesterday and the result is surprisingly good. Smoked with hickory, and glazed with honey every half hour for about 4 1/2 hours. Smoked at 120 degrees C and took the pork off the heat when the internal temp hit about 77 deg C.  Might have been a tad to high that temp - I've noted that  some suggest that you take the Pork off the heat when the internal temp is between 65 deg C and 70 deg C. 

Tastes good. Might give this a crack for Xmas day.

Beautiful, take the Pork off the heat when the internal temp is between 65 deg C and 70 deg C.  this temp is OK, some of the experts say 63c is optimum.

12 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:
42 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Tastes good. Might give this a crack for Xmas day.

Beautiful, take the Pork off the heat when the internal temp is between 65 deg C and 70 deg C.  this temp is OK, some of the experts say 63c is optimum.

Thanks Phil, I might try and take the pork off the heat next time at about 63 Degrees C and compare. I'd been reading for hot smoking that once the internal temp has hit 62 degrees it's considered safe to eat....I think 77 degrees was a tad too high - the edges of the meat were a bit dry.