Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

That ale has now been kegged. Filled to the upper weld line so nice and full. Sample glass looks pretty clear of chill haze so once the yeast finish dropping out it should be nice and clear. It's on 45 psi so will be able to try it carbonated tomorrow night. 

Might update the board behind the bar with what's actually on tap now 😂

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Didn't you run out of beer recently?

Yeah because one batch got infected. Without that PITA I probably wouldn't have. I don't mind buying a carton or six pack or whatever every now and then to drink while I wait for a couple of kegs to carbonate but it was annoying having to do it all the time with only one FV. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegging Legends:

Soda water keg: Do you clean and sanitise the keg every time it is emptied or just refill and fast carb?

Just refill and carb up. It's only water so there's nothing to clean anyway.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

Yeah I'd probably do that too but it's a bit hard to in a kegerator. My only issue is the room temperature water causing the beers to pour foam, so if it runs out I don't put it back in until I've poured the last beer of the day/night. By the next time I want a beer, it's chilled enough not to affect them. 

Just checking - when pouring from the kegerator, do your taps flow at anything like pub tap flow rates? 

I haven't timed mine (yet - will tonight) and I'm OK with how they are pouring but wondered if I should be expecting a higher flow rate.

They would if I opened the flow control fully, but that would just leave me with ¾ of a glass of foam. Unlike a pub I don't have the capacity to keep the taps themselves cold, plus they're usually pouring constantly anyway which would stop them warming up too much between pours.

I'm happy pouring it slower and getting a proper beer straight away.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

They would if I opened the flow control fully, but that would just leave me with ¾ of a glass of foam. Unlike a pub I don't have the capacity to keep the taps themselves cold, plus they're usually pouring constantly anyway which would stop them warming up too much between pours.

I'm happy pouring it slower and getting a proper beer straight away.

As am I, but I've never seen a HB keg set up in action so I don't know if what I have is normal. Any chance on your next pour you could please do a "1 one thousand, 2 one thousand... etc" count for your pour and let me know what size glass? 

2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I spy with my little Rye

What sort of percentage Rye do you use Kapitan?    And general malt bill breakdown when doing A Rye Fest / hop pairing... general gist of things.... if you don't mind mate?

45 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What sort of percentage Rye do you use Kapitan?    And general malt bill breakdown when doing A Rye Fest / hop pairing... general gist of things.... if you don't mind mate?

This one is 11%
Uts a raste if a rye but me a tuye

86F35052-AB1E-4735-ACAA-510B9E38B988.png

AECC35D0-D44A-4D29-8F8D-F3C10CAD477C.png

CE712E23-B9D2-4B44-BFB3-27E44C55C582.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

This one is 11%
Uts a raste if a rye but me a tuye

26 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I’ve literally had three beers ha ha ba

Yeah, I'm thinking they were 11% ABV... 😜

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I’ve literally had three beers ha ha ba

I'll finish the line for Capt since he probably fell off his stool at this point...

"I've literally had three beers ha ha barley wine!"

Expect a post in the next few days of him all bruised & banged up claiming a fat guy fell on him in a bus! 😜

😁

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I'll finish the line for Capt since he probably fell off his stool at this point...

"I've literally had three beers ha ha barley wine!"

Expect a post in the next few days of him all bruised & banged up claiming a fat guy fell on him in a bus! 😜

😁

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I wasn’t anywhere near his freakin bus! 🚎 

😂

• Haha 4

Kegged my first Neon Haze ROTM yesterday and its been gassed at 45 psi for 24 hours.  Sample tastes very nice, I think I am going to enjoy this bugger.

Might have to leave this one a week or so to condition before tapping, as no room in the keg fridge ATM.

Will be kegging my second batch of Busty Blonde on Saturday and bottling my Heritage Lager on Sunday so a busy weekend.

Was planning on getting out into Western Port to stock up on KGW on Saturday but have to get some beers out of my FV's so can get some more batches cooking and don't muck up my schedule further down the track.

KGW will have to wait until Tuesday.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1