Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

I have set up a 3 tap kegerator with a 4 way manifold, all done with Duotight fittings CO2 bottle to taps. I have been pressure testing each line individually via an empty keg and unfortunately I have 1 leaky line keg to tap (beer line). 2 out of 3 ain't bad but it means that I will have to dismantle the font and taps to trace the leak, it does not appear to be the beer disconnect on the keg so must be up in the font!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Yep mine, same size cylinder and same Harris gauge set, showed smack on 1,000.  or just 1 needle width of the gauge south of 1,000 so it sounds like you have a leak or not full bottle in first instance.  Check all fittings with some soapy water or sanitiser sprayed on.

I put a little green texta mark there on the dial before I connected any gear to it so I can compare with each bottle refill from now on.

Cheers - AL

I figured maybe it was filled during warmer weather. CPB don't seem the type to fall short on purpose. Readings are exactly the same this AM so I don't think there's a leak... yet.  😄

11 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I have set up a 3 tap kegerator with a 4 way manifold, all done with Duotight fittings CO2 bottle to taps. I have been pressure testing each line individually via an empty keg and unfortunately I have 1 leaky line keg to tap (beer line). 2 out of 3 ain't bad but it means that I will have to dismantle the font and taps to trace the leak, it does not appear to be the beer disconnect on the keg so must be up in the font!

Good tip. Thanks.

14 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Plus Marty will tell you to get a new gauge as well because.......................... I see yours starts at ZERO psi.🤣

Enjoy your beer JM

Cheers - AL

That's reference I missed - presume there's been previous to this. 

12 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Temperature makes it drop, what's the weather been like where you are lately?

I was thinking about that as I sank a stout or 2. I reckon CPB filled it a while back when it was a lot warmer and they're in Wodonga so tends towards Mallee-type weather there. Currently here it's pushing 18 on a good day. That 'Arctic blast' the BoM said wouldn't come a while back has arrived. I guess they said warm winter for this year but didn't really specify Autumn. 😄 

Not even winter and it's chilly and the man cave is insulated but concrete floor and a roller door at one end. Got anotehr 4 - 5 days before we get back to 20 if Accuweather is correct. (usually does better than BoM)

39 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

That 'Arctic blast' the BoM said wouldn't come a while back has arrived.

Well they have been forecasting it for a few days, have they not.  It hit SEQ yesterday. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Well they have been forecasting it for a few days, have they not.  It hit SEQ yesterday. 

N ot sure a couple of days notice counts when we pay so much for them. Not after being so confident a couple of months back - they also told us in Jan about no rain till May - it pissed down within about a week. 😄 

I think they use a dart board and blindfolds.

7 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

N ot sure a couple of days notice counts when we pay so much for them. Not after being so confident a couple of months back - they also told us in Jan about no rain till May - it pissed down within about a week. 😄 

I think they use a dart board and blindfolds.

Think you just looking for reason to knock them...Their daily forecasts are pretty well on the money and the longer range stuff is reasonably good considering the variables they deal with.  If you are going to penalise them for not predicting a polar blast in May two months ago well you are a hard marker.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Think you just looking for reason to knock them...Their daily forecasts are pretty well on the money and the longer range stuff is reasonably good considering the variables they deal with.  If you are going to penalise them for not predicting a polar blast in May two months ago well you are a hard marker.  

Oh I got lots more reasons but this ain't the forum for a discussion. 😄

Just now, Journeyman said:

Oh I got lots more reasons but this ain't the forum for a discussion. 😄

Nor the person to discuss it with. I would confidently say our views are polar opposites.  So would be a waste of time and just frustrating. 

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I reckon long range forecasting is a bit like long range putting. It's mostly luck. Maybe they should employ psychics if they're supposedly so great at predicting things 🤣

Well the BoM Sesaonal Outlook got it quite right for down our way for Sep-Dec dry 2019 and then the delay to rain into Jan 2020 and over the past few years have been fairly good most of the time...  am hoping too that they are right that we receive at least average winter rainfall for once in years.

My interest is in rainfall  more so as opposed to temperature and wind.

When I worked in CQ years ago they also got seasonal outlooks right most of the time and then also 4-7 days outlook on some critical occasions absolutely spot on...  and I worked with some of the guys in the BoM based in Bris and they were really good blokes and always highlighted the limitations of their forecasts.  On one occasion using the SOI their forecast from the SOI change April to June was spot on for August-Dec rainfall.  They ran a workshop/course where we learnt this stuff and could ourselves see the likely impact on our various locations....and the seaonal outlook on that occasion seemed to run like clockwork.  Was quite amazing honestly. 

If you are talking being absolutely correct on specific days all the time maybe they are not right every time.... as some of the time there seems to be possibility of delay for instance - and I guess there will always be some non-events...

But in general I would like to suggest that the Aussie BoM are pretty bloooooooooody good despite the amount they get bagged.

• Like 1

Just now, Otto Von Blotto said:

I agree mate. Just taking the Mickey a bit 😜 I have no time for baseless theories.

Cheers Kelsey - yeah I was outright privileged to  be able to work with some of their guys who were just legendary fellas (and also some of which were HB supporters ha ha).

I reckon it is a tough gig and they are always trying to do better... think when I was with them they were just commissioning what they called the European Model for their forecasting modelling work... from the EC... and were quite happy with the opportunities it was bringing.

One time they gave us like a Monday arvo outlook for a wet Saturday and Sunday... which was a huge help.... and it pisssssed down that weekend and it made a huge difference to be already well prepared for it on the Friday before...

So I have a lot of respect for them...

And am really hoping they have got it right for our coming Winter ha ha  ; )

image.png.0c033edb0379a0d3c9f8f3d691b8de9a.png

• Like 1

Well don't bring it up then. 🙄

BB I hope we actually get a normal winter up here i.e. bugger all rain. There was one a few years ago where it was just overcast and drizzle/rain most days. Most unbrisbane like winter ever. Wouldn't be much fun getting up at sparrowfart to play golf in that shit 😂

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

BB I hope we actually get a normal winter up here i.e. bugger all rain. There was one a few years ago where it was just overcast and drizzle/rain most days. Most unbrisbane like winter ever. Wouldn't be much fun getting up at sparrowfart to play golf in that shit 😂

Ha ha Kelsey yes for sure mate...   I love the rain - but mate - playing golf when it is fine weather is the biz - ha ha. 

When I used to play footy of different types I used to never like the wind much ha ha....

Except of course if you had a tailwind in the second half and were coming home 'with a wet sail' ha ha!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

When I worked in CQ years ago

I was in Rocky from 1989 to 1995 before moving to Brissie. That’s actually where I started home brewing originally. Ahhhh, the joy of brewing at ambient temp with a Coopers draught tin and a kilo of corn syrup in the Rocky summer.

Brother in law was staying with us for a while, we used to go through two king browns each every afternoon, so there was always a brew on.

Edited by NewBrews
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Well don't bring it up then. 🙄

I didn't. I merely mentioned a fact and it was taken up. 

Anyways, kegerator done. How critical is the 24 hours at 30 psi> Should I drop it back tonight at the 24 hour mark or can it sit till tomorrow? 

Also, when bringing it back to serving pressure, I'm presuming it's - turn off the gas on the reg, bleed the excess pressure at the keg, then bring it up to serving.

Now I've noticed the keg-side gauge doesn't move down just because I turn off the gas, and I have a manifold. Can I turn the kegs off at the manifold, empty the gas line TO the manifold with the blank taps on it, then close them off, bring the gas up to serving, then open the gas lines to the kegs?

Or do I need to PRV the gas out of the kegs completely before bringing them back to serving? If I do, how long should I wait before trying a beer?

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

There was one a few years ago where it was just overcast and drizzle/rain most days. Most unbrisbane like winter ever

Brissy can do strange things. I was working in Lakes Entrance in Vic and a mate took off to Qld for the winter because he'd had enough of the cold, wind and rain. We had 2 weeks of glorious 20+ temps and brilliant sunshine and he got pissed on at about 15° for most of the time he was there. 😄 Would'a been circa 1982 or thereabouts.

6 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

turn off the gas on the reg,

back off the gas to serving (pull the gas relief thing on the reg) then pull the gas relief thing on the keg.

Keep an eye on the reg as the shite kegking ones sometimes go back up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

back off the gas to serving (pull the gas relief thing on the reg) then pull the gas relief thing on the keg.

Keep an eye on the reg as the shite kegking ones sometimes go back up.

I've got a Harris on advice from here. 

There's a gas relief on the reg? (off to look)

EDIT: Not seeing anything on the reg other than the main knob and the 2 gauges. There's a hole in the knob shaft that maybe something might be poked into...? 

Edited by Journeyman