Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

Do people put backing plates on the opposite side to the load bearing side? i.e. on the outside for the manifold, on the inside for taps and drip tray? Or is that not an issue? I'm wondering how the plastic liner and thin metal outside wall stand any pressure and if I need to spread the load so things do not distort.

Edited by Journeyman

8 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Do people put backing plates on the opposite side to the load bearing side? i.e. on the outside for the manifold, on the inside for taps and drip tray? Or is that not an issue? I'm wondering how the plastic liner and thin metal outside wall stand any pressure and if I need to spread the load so things do not distort.

Over thinking.... It will be fine.... there is no great pressure....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So that's the same things as this? Unless it stretches well I'm not sure it would fit my taps - they're about 17mm OD. This says 14 ID - maybe meant to be a tight fit?

Mind you, your taps nozzles are different to mine, which are quite stubby - more like if you took the tapered part off yours. No thread in them either so it's not an after-market thing for mine.

Faucet Spout Plug

Edited by Journeyman

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

I have them on mine. It catches the drips and keeps out the bugs.

Beer.thumb.JPG.bd9c3ed9359030324dbe44a107839755.JPG

Your totally neglecting the drip tray.  Now it is just a trophy tray, just there for the looks no substance.

I wonder, in my musings, if the drip tray resents the stoppers for taking its primary function? #downwithstoppers #freethetray

• Haha 2

Just now, Norris! said:

Your totally neglecting the drip tray.  Now it is just a trophy tray, just there for the looks no substance.

I wonder, in my musings, if the drip tray resents the stoppers for taking its primary function? #downwithstoppers #freethetray

TrayzRulz! 😄

Mind you, the tray has an issue with stopping bugs going in the tap. 😄

Edited by Journeyman
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

I was asking about tap handles and tap badges a while ago I have finally sourced some handles after scouring eBay for the last month 

20200428_161530.jpg

20200428_161534.jpg

Corona virus on tap i see. 😄👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I used to take the surplus out before filling the main keg too, although I'd always make sure the keg was properly full. 50mm from the top weld isn't completely full. I'd just get whatever amount of bottles, usually about 10-12 stubbies. I was making 25 litre batches though. 

As for those plugs, they are a tight fit. They'd probably fall off if they weren't. 

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah I used to take the surplus out before filling the main keg too, although I'd always make sure the keg was properly full. 50mm from the top weld isn't completely full. I'd just get whatever amount of bottles, usually about 10-12 stubbies. I was making 25 litre batches though. 

Have you (or anyone else) measured the amount to the weld? Or in relation to it? As in where does 19L get to in the 2 kinds of kegs? It might be something I'll check before I do a fill up, just so I know how much of the brew I can take for bottles.

Although my original thought was, if I take the keg first, I reduce any chance of sediment in the keg.

Ahh... the joys of rabbit holes. 😄

7 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Have you (or anyone else) measured the amount to the weld? Or in relation to it? As in where does 19L get to in the 2 kinds of kegs? It might be something I'll check before I do a fill up, just so I know how much of the brew I can take for bottles.

Although my original thought was, if I take the keg first, I reduce any chance of sediment in the keg.

Best way of doing this is by weight. Get the tare weight of the empty keg. Throw 19l of water in there, see where its at then it will be pretty close.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I can take for bottles.

100% you will end up not drinking them.  I guarantee that the keg beer tastes better than the bottles.   Just like AG tastes better than kits and grains.  On the plus you can pour all the beer that is in the bottles into the kegs. That is how I got rid of the 300 stubbies I had in stock when I went to kegs.  Works a treat.  

• Like 1

I reckon you'd drink them but you might get sick of bottling such a small amount every batch like I did. I make 21 litre batches now so I just fill the keg and that's it. No surplus to faff around with. I pour 2-3 schooners and discard before I fill a keg, just to clear the tap area of sediment, and the extra litre is just to prevent sediment getting into the keg when I tilt it near the end.

41 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I haven't measured it but it's close enough. I know how much to leave in the fermenter to fill it full without dragging sediment in at least. That's good enough for me.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I make 21 litre batches

Same, I do ~22 litre  batches. Gives me plenty to play around with for SG samples and the slops left over from kegging.  

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Titan said:

My gear ordered 3rd April is still waiting auspost to collect. I did ring them late last week but they said its just a waiting game.

I placed an order with Kegland 24/4/2020 and according to the tracking it will be delivered Wednesday 29/4/2020, Northern Rivers, NSW.

Like many online suppliers, I think Kegland are under the pump with orders.  Plus delivery is dependent on third party contractors.

I ordered some 10 packs of items a few weeks ago because they were much cheaper that way.  However, when they did not arrive as expected, I got a bit miffed and ordered the one $2.50 item I wanted and selected their locker pick-up option.  I thought "I'll show you".  I got an email within an hour giving me a roller door and locker password.  I am 23km from Kegland and  went for a quick drive to pick up the part I wanted.

3rd April is pretty rich though.  @Titan, I feel your pain.