Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Switching this query to the more appropriate topic thread.

What do you do with the other kegs in the kegerator while high pressure carbing the water keg?  Disconnect the gas?  Switch of the gas via a manifold? Something else? 

Yep I have a manifold so I turn off the gas to the other kegs while it carbonates. I find being room temperature water when it goes in that it affects the pour of the beers, so I usually put it in after pouring the last beer of the night to give it the most amount of time I can to chill down, at least enough to not affect the beers. Given no more beers are generally poured for another 22 hours or so, the gas being off doesn't affect their carbonation level either. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yes.  It makes sense that the other kegs should not be exposed to a further 30psi of fast carbing.  I just wanted to know how other folks managed this.

Yes I would Isolate the other kegs whilst fast carbing the other. 
I have a dual stage regulator and I installed 2 manifolds, meaning I can be serving or drinking 2 or 3 kegs & at the same time carbing 2 up at high pressure, really handy to have, I posted some pics of my set up a while back 🍺🍺

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Shortly, (delayed by needing extra parts) I will be kegging. Something I haven't seen is about how full does one fill a keg? How much head space does a keg need to carb up at serving pressure?

I have filled a keg to the top when closed transfer no issues with carbing. Normally though i fill to the weld close to the top of the keg.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After some confusion, I now have all the required parts for my new keg system. Th e confusion was getting some parts with MLF and some with barbs. CheekyPeakBrewing have been excellent in sorting it out and from the sounds in background on the phone, they are flat stick with all the new and returning brewers.

Should we call this the Corona Brewing Age? Where the advent of the virus brings home brew into the mainstream as a pastime? 😄

I wonder if any of the other breweries will try to muscle in on Coopers' ballywick and start producing HB kits for their beers? 😄 They must be hurting with all the pubs closed.

EIDT: Annnnnd almost an hour after I got my Express Post package, Auspost sends me an email telling me it is coming today. 😄

Edited by Journeyman
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Journeyman said:

After some confusion, I now have all the required parts for my new keg system. Th e confusion was getting some parts with MLF and some with barbs. CheekyPeakBrewing have been excellent in sorting it out and from the sounds in background on the phone, they are flat stick with all the new and returning brewers.

Should we call this the Corona Brewing Age? Where the advent of the virus brings home brew into the mainstream as a pastime? 😄

I wonder if any of the other breweries will try to muscle in on Coopers' ballywick and start producing HB kits for their beers? 😄 They must be hurting with all the pubs closed.

EIDT: Annnnnd almost an hour after I got my Express Post package, Auspost sends me an email telling me it is coming today. 😄

My gear ordered 3rd April is still waiting auspost to collect. I did ring them late last week but they said its just a waiting game.

• Sad 1

@PaddyBrew2 you are going to love the pressure fermentation.  I think it is perfect if using a yeast with neutral flavours.  My brewing has had a quantum change since going to pressure ferment, closed keg transfer and Voss Kveik which is now my go to neutral yeast.  Later this week I will be using a conventional fermenter for the 1st time in months using "Belgium Ale" yeast which I want to through a few esters I want so will be back to the ferment fridge fermenting at 22c.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Titan said:

My gear ordered 3rd April is still waiting auspost to collect. I did ring them late last week but they said its just a waiting game.

Ouch. I haven't ordered from them - they're in Sydney? Since 3/4 I have placed and received 3 orders from interstate plus the CPB order has had 2 additions. Maybe light a bomb under KL and suggest lack of performance means you want your money back and you will shop elsewhere? 25 days and still not even moving is ridiculous.

Edited by Journeyman

10 minutes ago, Titan said:

Melbourne 27km from my house.🙃🙃

Say WHAT? They could have backpacked it to you by now! 😄 Surely you could organise a time they could leave it out and you pick it up? You arrive, ring them and say "I'm here" and they bring it out?

I've got everything I need to build my kegerator. BUT... I need to drill tap holes - it says 21mm holes. First issue, there are no 21mm holesaws, just 20 or 22. I figure 22mm isn't a biggie - there's a stepped washer that has at least a 3mm lip - might have to use selleys to fill the hole a bit so the tap is stable  but maybe not given how it goes in.

Local Bunnings doesn't have a 22mm holesaw in stock so should be available Thursday. Or I can drive to Mt Barker.

So today I'm going to Mitre10 and see what they have. 

Damn frustrating to have waited all this time and STILL not quite be started.

I have 2 x brews waiting for kegging at CC temp. I figure I can keg them now,  bring them to serving pressure and stick them in the fridge and take them out briefly when I am making the kegerator.

Do they have to stay attached to the gas for carbing or can I pull them out every (say) few hours and attach gas again? Or should I maybe force carb them at higher pressure so I can leave them in the fridge until the system is set up?

I've got a manifold to attach to the inside of the fridge - with plastic walls, should I get bolts all the way through the wall so I can put a metal plate on the outside to add support? Or would self-tapper screws be fine? 

On 4/23/2020 at 5:35 PM, Journeyman said:

Shortly, (delayed by needing extra parts) I will be kegging. Something I haven't seen is about how full does one fill a keg? How much head space does a keg need to carb up at serving pressure?

First I draw off and bottle 12 x 345 ml stubbies worth each batch and then the remainder goes into the keg.  The stubbies are put aside for travelers.

Keg ends up being filled about 50mm short of top weld line by the time the Coopers 23 L  FV gets down too close to the trub.  Same with fermzilla, floating dip tube runs out of beer just before the trub is sucked in.  That way I don't have to watch it fill and stop the process, its pretty much set and forget.

Cheers - AL

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Titan said:

That's a bugger!.  Nearly fell into that trap myself last week.

I ordered some bits and pieces from KL about midday 21st April and had it in my hands about 16:00 same day. I am 25 km away from KL.

Lucky I had a work job in the area and swung by to PU.  KL have an after hours locker system there now.

@Titan could you not arrange for someone to "pick up" for you?

Cheers - AL

36 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

First I draw off and bottle 12 x 345 ml stubbies worth each batch and then the remainder goes into the keg.  The stubbies are put aside for travelers.

Keg ends up being filled about 50mm short of top weld line by the time the Coopers 23 L  FV gets down too close to the trub.  Same with fermzilla, floating dip tube runs out of beer just before the trub is sucked in.  That way I don't have to watch it fill and stop the process, its pretty much set and forget.

Cheers - AL

Thanks. I've been doing 20L batches so I will have to step them up a bit. I don't do travelers but I do want to have a good supply of bottles on hand. It hadn't crossed my mind to do the bottles first. 😄