Coopers Community

Carlton Dry Hard Lager

Beerlust

I saw the info flyer about this soon to be released product in SA just the other day.

CarltonDry-HardLager.jpg

6.5% ABV, 8 IBU. Yes EIGHT IBU!

I'm not sure what market they are after with this beer. That's if indeed you can call it beer. ?

These megaswill breweries & their marketers are really losing the plot.

Cheers,

Lusty.

4 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I saw the info flyer about this soon to be released product in SA just the other day.

CarltonDry-HardLager.jpg

6.5% ABV, 8 IBU. Yes EIGHT IBU!

I'm not sure what market they are after with this beer. That's if indeed you can call it beer. ?

These megaswill breweries & their marketers are really losing the plot.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Have to get me a bottle of that. Thinking it will be a limited edition as it will be de ranged pretty quickly methinks.. ?

Asked my mate who works for CUB about this one. Apparently they think they can get at the RTD segment of the alcohol market with this product. Seems kind of braindead to me. But thats why the marketers are paid the big bucks :-). I doubt it will get any people going from spirits and from what I am told from my early 20s brother in law all the poor uni students are drinking that Little Fat Lamb drink. $8 for 1.25L of 8% ABV.

29 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Little Fat Lamb drink. $8 for 1.25L of 8% ABV.

never heard of this, had to Google.  http://justliquor.com.au/cider/440-little-fat-lamb-brewed-berry-125l.html

How is it possible (and legal) to sell a PET soft-drink sized bottle of 8% alcohol for $7.99!!!

I hope my son and daughter learn enough from me over the years to stay away from this sugary toxin when they turn 18!  Heck, I'll brew them beer for free if it means they don't drink this crap as adults.

I will definitely brew for my son when he is of age. As my father did. 

I take my hat off to my dad as he brewed really good beer back in his day (as people talked about) without the internet and ease of information about homebrewing. 

He use to talk about going out to the hop farm and stealing hop cones just before harvest then open fermenting the wort. He moved on since then and bought a FV like we see today. 

In the early 2000’s my father did kits and that’s what I tasted/drank. I’ll teach my son all grain so he at least knows how to brew. I figure that if he has some of my brews and has some commercial stuff that he recognises flavour and how beer “should” taste than I’m on a winner. 

Captain 

My dad sort of got me into it. Back when I was a teen one of his mates was making the Coopers stout kits and they were nice so he gave Dad some equipment and we made a batch of the stout which turned out pretty well for not really knowing anything about it. Then we tried some different styles just making lightish beers with 250g sugar added. They were all reasonable brews. This kept up for a couple of years until the fermenter was lost in the garage, as he bought a new one to do a ginger beer, which sat in that fermenter for about 7 years ?

Because I thought the old fermenter was chucked out I stopped brewing until late 2011 when I found it again, right around the time I started getting into craft beer. Dad doesn't brew with me anymore but he still tastes the beers I do make when the olds are around and helps with various equipment at times. 

As I once was a young man. My time was the age of cruisers and UDL's. Within 1 year though my taste buds decided I hated sugar water but the sweet bitterness of beer thanks to happy hour at the pub. But my taste did not expand further for many years later. 

Now I'm all hop theif or 150 lashes or 'that IPA over there thank you'.  How I have changed

59 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I remember when I tried my first 150 lashes. It was the best and most tasty beer ever. Now when I get the odd one at a mates or the pub it tastes bland and watery

I got a story. I first came out to Aus in '86. I'd been drinking XXXX in the UK for a few years, and found it a decent drop (I know). Either my palate was crap, or the watery lager in British pubs was really bad - this is tap Hofmeister, Kronenbourg, Tennetts etc. The cans were much the same. 500ml and probably >4%. 

So my first trip out here, I was going to try all this great Aussie beer. I went to the bottle shop and got XXXX, Melbourne bitter, Carlton lager, Emu Export... basically one of every mass beer going. You probably can't imagine my disappointment that I thought they all tasted crap, and pretty much the same. Only the 30+ degree heat made them bearable. 

Then Redback arrived in 87 (?). Now this was the ducks nuts. Why people put lemon in it, I've never fathomed. Tried one the other day, and it shows its age - thin on flavour and short on finish, when you stack up against a good wheat beer. Still, it was well above anything else on the market back then.

I too got into the Squires in the their early days. 4 Wives Pils wasn't bad. But I think they're losing the plot with Hop Thief, which for me peaked at No 6 or 7 and has got blander since. 150 has joined the mass beer market for flavour,  I think.

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2018 at 11:30 PM, MUZZY said:

My tip on the Carlton Hard Lager is it will die on the shelves. With Aust taxes skewed against alcohol content, this product will be too high priced to appeal to the youngsters. 

The taxes do depend on the type of drink. This is why the Cider market boomed when they upped the tax on lollywater drinks. 

2 hours ago, Silmaril said:

The taxes do depend on the type of drink. This is why the Cider market boomed when they upped the tax on lollywater drinks. 

Yeah, Rudd govt hammered RTDs but tax is still fairly high on beer and cider with higher ABV.  That's why CUB reduced the ABV on VB a few years ago. They figured they'd save $20 million a year in tax by dropping ABV from 4.9 to 4.6. What they didn't bank on was a mass exodus of VB drinkers. Oops! They changed it back to 4.9 due to sales dropping.

Archived