Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2016

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second attempt.

same result. edited out.

I am just sampling my latest kit extract recipe with some citra additions. I like the citra and I think it tastes like cascade and amarillo with some passionfruit thrown in. My next brew will be an AG American Pale Ale with citra, cascade and galaxy.

Kit: Coopers Aussie Pale Ale

23 litres

1.5 kg of LME light

0.5 kg of Light dry malt powder (LDM)

250 g of crystal Malt grains cracked and steeped.

Yeast : US-05 250 billion cells. Propagated

Hop Additions: 50g citra @ 5min.

115g citra dry hop, 5g/l.

Beersmith doesn't copy and paste well. I have mine set to classic recipe, when I copy and paste from that it does it properly. I usually do it in parts though so it's easier to neaten it up in here.

I've checked on my pilsner that's currently fermenting, bit of a rotten egg smell in there and the SG has dropped to about 1.024, which means the ramp up to 18 can begin. I expected it to take longer due to the epic lag phase that was experienced at the beginning. In reality it's probably only on about day 5 of fermentation despite being pitched last Monday.

The krausen is also looking a bit more normal now as well. lol

Cheers

Kelsey

Wow Kelsey - that's some seriously lumpy lookin krausen...... looks like a relief map of India! , mind you my last one looked like something out of The Exorcist!

Yesterday I put down the Big Island IPA , the kit version - been meaning to give the OS Real Ale kit another go and had some spare Nelson Sauvin in the freezer. couldn't get Waimea at my LHBS so swapped for Pacific Gem plus some leftover Centennial should hopefully make a tasty drop.

Kelsey

Thanks for the tips with Beersmith re the editing stuff mate.

What sort of yeast are you using in that Pilsner? Also how many times have you re-harvested or propogated it? I'm thinking a mutation. I read recently that some yeast strains can form up in patterns forming a colony.

Well I've got batch #37 in the fermenter at the moment. My in-laws have been over for the last couple of weeks and I brewed this batch with my brother-in-law just before we left for a trip to Sydney. I liked the Galaxy / Motueka combo in my pale ale so much that I went with it again for this batch.

Stats

Batch Size (fermenter): 10.5l

Estimated OG: 1.051 SG

Estimated Color: 33 EBC

Estimated IBU: 40 IBUs

Mash: 60 Minutes @ 66° C, batch sparged 3V

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain

39.9% Voyager Pale Malt

29.9% Gladfield Pilsner Malt

16% Munich (BestMälz)

5% Carahell (Weyermann)

5% Crystal, Medium (Bairds)

3% Caraaroma (Weyermann)

1.2% Chocolate Malt (Bairds)

Hops

@FWH - 10g Motueka

@5mins - 10g Motueka

@5mins - 5g Galaxy

@flameout - 10g Motueka

@flameout - 5g Galaxy

@dry hop - 20g Motueka

@dry hop - 10g Galaxy

Yeast

Safale US-05, rehydrated

I've been having run-off issues with the false bottom in my Esky mash tun, so this time I went with a bazooka screen I bought for less than $10 online. The bazooka screen worked absolutely perfectly, so I will stick with this for sure. I'm really enjoying making beer with my little 3V setup now - it is working great.

This batch went into the fermenter on the 2nd July and the dry hops went in on the 9th July. It fermented at 17° C until the dry hops went in, at which point it was at 1.010 SG. I bumped the temp up to 20° C after the dry hops went in. I'll let them sit until 20th July, then bottle it up.

Just for fun we'll enter it in the ACT Amateur Brewing competition in September - hence the decent dry hop. Hopefully there's some hop aroma left a couple of months after bottling.

As an aside, during our time in Sydney my brother-in-law and I took the bus around some of the northern beach suburbs to sample some local brews. We visited Modus Operandi, Nomad and 4 Pines. 4 Pines was just ok, I don't think I'll go back there, but the other 2 were awesome. 2 very different approaches - MO brews mostly clean beers with lots of hops whereas Nomad brews plenty of wild ferment / barrel aged / sour / spiced / fruit beers. But both are producing top beers, that's for sure. Also kudos to the Sydney bus network. Even as a visitor who has never caught a local Sydney bus before it was a piece of cake to get around. I was sure we would be wandering around in the middle of nowhere at some point, completely lost, but we managed to go from Bilgola to Mona Vale, then to Brookvale, and then on to Manly with no trouble at all.

Cheers,

John

Kelsey

Thanks for the tips with Beersmith re the editing stuff mate.

What sort of yeast are you using in that Pilsner? Also how many times have you re-harvested or propogated it? I'm thinking a mutation. I read recently that some yeast strains can form up in patterns forming a colony.

No worries mate. I use Wyeast 2001 Urquell Lager yeast in these beers. It's the only lager yeast I have on hand so it has been used in my German lager too, which turned out really well actually. I think it's been through about 6 or 7 re-harvests since I bought it in April last year.

I'm not really worried about mutations unless it starts affecting the beer quality - will be taking the first FG sample on Friday and will have a taste as well. The mid ferment sample has been sitting on the kitchen bench with the hydrometer in it since it was taken, and as of last night/this morning, it appears to have stabilised and the yeast are clearing. I suspect the fermenter is at about the same stage, as it is sitting at pretty well the same temperature.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey John, long time no hear!

Its interesting to hear about your runoff issues!

Im running a cooler with a false bottom too... although I cant be happier with the run off!!!

Perhaps you may have a grain crush issue possibly to finer crush?

I bought a 3 roller mill and have never tuched the settings it works a dream....

My cooler I bought from kegking and run a recirculation through another HLT keggle vessel and then my runnings go into a 100 litre boiler...

The 100 litre pot is the most expensive part of my set up @ just $200 and im already eyeing off a 170 litre pot LOL,... that will make a better brew day

G'day Waylon! Yep, haven't managed to post in a while ...

I suspect it was the silicon tube between the elbow on top of the false bottom and the back of the ball valve collapsing under pressure. In contrast the bazooka tube goes straight into an inner threaded bit of stainless pipe connected to the back of the ball valve and so doesn't have the same problem. If I was fly sparging I'd try harder to get the false bottom to work since I have read you get a more thorough sparge and less channeling, but since I batch sparge it's not a worry happy

Lol you will be doing batches at least 10 times the size of mine with a 170 litre pot! biggrin

Well, I didn't have any bad beers at 4 Pines ... I think it was more a matter of the beers at MO and Nomad being just that much better to my taste buds that the beers on offer at 4 Pines paled in comparison. If I was anywhere near Manly again looking for a beer I would definitely go the extra step of jumping on a bus and heading back up the coast to Modus Operandi. Their Pale Ales were great, their IPAs and DIPAs were great, their Porter and Stouts were great, their food was great and the dog was friendly. The only thing they were missing was a nice English Bitter on hand pump (which I did enjoy at 4 Pines), but I've got Wig & Pen here in Canberra serving plenty of those happy

Cheers,

John

My latest Bo Pils finished at 1.009 from 1.049, which was bang on the predicted FG, giving me 5.2% and 5.6% ABV in the keg and bottles respectively. Despite its slow start, it dropped to this SG quite quickly. It probably could have been given an extra day at 18C but I dropped the fridge down on Sunday to -0.4C, which it finally reached today. Isinglass was added, and it will sit until Monday when I'll add the Polyclar, and look to keg/bottle it next weekend. After that, the ESB I brewed last Saturday is going in, assuming the cube doesn't get infected again in the meantime lol.

I'm quite pleased with the new fridge door seals, I can now quite easily drop the temp to 0C or in this case lower than 0C for CCing like I used to be able to before the old seals finally gave up after 60 odd years. They cost me $65 and I put them in myself. The fridge is still in perfect working order so I am reluctant to get rid of it, especially for something so simple to fix. Even when it does finally cark it I'll probably keep it as an insulated cabinet either for fermentation or storing bottled beer.

Things are certainly going well around the brewery at the moment! biggrin

Cheers

Kelsey

OK, take two :D

First attempt was eaten bythe internetz :(

All of these are in my garage that is sitting at around 12-14 degrees C here in Melbourne :D

Mister Sinister Mk2 - minor variant on original Mister Sinister

Beer Brew Number 52 - 13 for 2016 - Mister Sinister - Mark 2a

1 x 1.7Kg Coopers Dark Ale Brew Can

1 x 1.5Kg Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract

1 x 1Kg Dextrose

1 x 300gm Roasted Barley

2 x 10 litres Mt Donna Buang water

2 x 11.5gm Fermentis W34/70

Mister Sinister Mk3 - another variant on original Mister Sinister

Beer Brew Number 53 - 14 for - 2016 - Mister Sinister - Mark 3a

1 x 1.7Kg Coopers Dark Ale Brew Can

1 x 1.5Kg Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract

1 x 1Kg Dextrose

1 x 500gm Roasted Barley

1 x 20 litres Mt Donna Buang water

2 x 11.5gm Fermentis W34/70

1 x Yeasts that came with Coopers cans

Honey Lager

Beer Brew Number 54 - 15 for 2016 - Honey Lager

2 x 1.7 Kg Coopers lager cans

1 x 1 Kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

1 x 1 Kg Clover Honey

40 litres Mt Donna Buang water

2 x 7gm yeasts from tins

1 x 11.5 gm Saflager W034/70 yeast activated in dex and water

Another couple of weeks and another set of SG readings should give an indication of where they're at.

Indicative readings for ther Mk2 was 7%, Mk 3, 9%, Honey Lager is a modest 3.4% :D

Did you miss something from Mk3? Roasted barley doesn't contain any fermentable sugars, and all the other fermentables and volume are the same as Mk2, so I'm not sure where the extra 2% ABV is coming from. unsure I don't think the ale yeast from the Coopers tins is gonna do much at 12-14C either...

Hey mate you was probly better off rehydrating all yeasts together in sterile water @ 20-25 degrees for 15 minutes then pitching

I'd agree with this for each batch separately but not all of them together because then you don't know what you're pitching. Adding dextrose to the re-hydration water is unnecessary also.

Did you miss something from Mk3? Roasted barley doesn't contain any fermentable sugars' date=' and all the other fermentables and volume are the same as Mk2, so I'm not sure where the extra 2% ABV is coming from. [img']unsure[/img] I don't think the ale yeast from the Coopers tins is gonna do much at 12-14C either...

Good point, missed listing another kilo of dex ! Thanks for the catch :D I suspect I may have been off on my dex content :(

Look like I might have missed something as OG was only 1074.

Thenagain, mk2 OG was 1068

You'd be surprised, damn thing tried to take off ! :D

Still, proof will be when I finally bottle and age :)

Hey mate you was probly better off rehydrating all yeasts together in sterile water @ 20-25 degrees for 15 minutes then pitching

I'd agree with this for each batch separately but not all of them together because then you don't know what you're pitching. Adding dextrose to the re-hydration water is unnecessary also.

Thanks, still have a lot to learn and good to hear from other people who have been doing this for longer ! :D

Just bottled this one last night, sampled while bottling of course! Tasted very smooth and easy to drink. Recipe from Terry Foster's book "Brewing Porters and Stouts"

Victoria’s Revelation Porter

(all-grain)

Ingredients

9.0 lb. (4.1 kg) Maris Otter pale malt (3°L); 71.7%

0.60 lb. (272 g) Vienna malt (4°L); 4.8%

0.60 lb. (272 g) Briess 2-row chocolate malt (350°L); 4.8%

0.60 lb. (113 g) Briess BlackPrinz<em>®</em> malt (500°L); 4.8%

1.75 lb. (0.8 kg) Crisp brown malt (65°L); 13.9%

2.5 oz. (71 g) US Goldings pellets, 5% AA (12.5 AAU, 90 min.) Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale; White Labs WLP 005 British Ale

Original gravity: 1.060 (14.7°P) Final gravity: 1.019 (4.8°P) ABV: 5.3%

IBU: 47

SRM: 130

Directions

Mash at 150°F (65.6°C) using 16 quarts (15L) of water; mature the brew for three to four weeks.

Notes

This has definite roasted character, but muted because the black malt is de-bittered, and the

palate is also modified by the licorice notes from the brown malt. Use of Vienna and Maris Otter

adds a nice fullness to this beer. The name is a pun on that of a well-known retailer and the fact that this is a “Victorian” style porter

My actual grain bill

----------Grain Bill----------

Kilograms Grain, Fermentable, Other

4.552138539 Maris Otter

0.30142539 Vienna

0.30142539 Chocolate (MFB, 340 SRM)

0.124788354 Carafa Special III (525 SRM)

0.888457927 Caramunich (56 SRM)

Actual Hops:

Hop Type Grams Boil Time

Kent Goldings, UK P 90 60

Used US05 rather than the 1099

In the other FV, still fermenting is my first attempt at a 'Red' IPA, using the Evil Twin grain bill from the Mrmalty website and my treehouse brewing co 'Julius IPA' hopping schedule (almost 300g of hops) from my previous IPA's. Supposed to be centennial but can't get this one easily at the moment so subbed with cascade. Reduced the choc from 110 to 80g to lighten the red slightly this time:

Grains, Fermentables, Other

kg Prop Ingredient

5.3 77% Maris Otter

0.45 7% Caramunich (56 SRM)

0.45 7% Munich (9 srm)

0.22 3% Victory

0.22 3% Special B

0.08 1% Fawcett Pale Chocolate

0.15 2% Acid Malt

Hop Type (L/P) Grams Minutes AA% AA% Override IBUs

Magnum Pellets P 42 60 14.7 11.5 44.6

Amarillo P 29 20 8.8 8.5 13.8

Cascade P 29 20 7.2 9.3 15.1

Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand Hops

Hop Type (L/P) Grams Avg Temp Minutes AA% AA% Override +IBUs

Simcoe P 44 95 10 13 13.2 15.1

Amarillo P 29 95 10 8.8 8.5 6.4

Cascade P 29 95 10 7.2 9.3 7.0

Dry Hops

Hop Type (L/P) Grams Location Days Temp Method

Amarillo P 30

Cascade P 30

Simcoe P 30

I still have my British IPA in the FV. This brew was put down right at the end of June, so nearly 4 weeks.

I drew another sample off earlier today after re-pitching some more yeast over a week ago, & it has only dropped another 2 points to 1.018. It's been stable for the better part of a week now, so despite the reading being approx. 3 points higher than the brewing calculator suggested, I'm going to begin dry hopping it for a number of days before going ahead & kegging it.

I tasted the sample, & despite it being ever so slightly sweet due to the increased gravity, in a beer like this that has a high bitterness level, it tasted pretty good on the surface. If this were a lower IBU lager type beer, then I doubt I would go ahead & bottle/keg as it would likely present too sweet. This will be the first beer I've ever knowingly bottled/kegged that wasn't close to anticipated FG levels.

Through fermentation results, taste tests & other factors, it's proving an interesting brew. I'm hopeful for something really nice to drink once kegged & carbed.

I'll update down the track.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived