Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2016

Otto Von Blotto

My WLP800 is getting its arse reused for the third time...

Today I pitched a recycled 9 litre WLP800 yeast cake into a 19 litre cube... theres still another two bigger cubes waiting for there fermenters!

The yeast was extremely healthy in the previous brew... with its bigger brother still crash chilling waiting to feed the other bigger cubes!

This brew came out 1050.OG

71% german pilsner

22% Vienna

7% Carapils

And a stack load of saaz hops

Then cubed

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My WLP800 is getting its arse reused for the third time...

Today I pitched a recycled 9 litre WLP800 yeast cake into a 19 litre cube...

A 19 litre brew became 28 litres? Won't that throw things all ass up regarding OG and IBU?

Hi headmaster. smile

I expect your software would have accounted for it but what was your mash temp profile for this one Lusty?

I'm still a pots & pans partial/extract brewer so I generally stick to the same formula from brew to brew unless it's a pilsner/lager where I mash a little lower. A half to 2/3 of my malt base for my brews still comprises of extract so even if I mash a little lower with the grain portion' date=' it doesn't impact on FG a whole lot anyways. [img']wink[/img]

My standard practice is around 72-73°C strike water, which translates into 67-68°C with grains added for the 75min mash. Then sparge/rinse grains with 70-75°C water. this gives me approx. 7 litres of grain based wort for most of my partial extract brews. The bulk of the base malt content comes from the extract. I use my oven to maintain the mash temp. It's given very consistent results for a long time now. happy

As long as the beer is drinkable, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. The FG issue was just a little unexpected was all. surprised

71% german pilsner

22% Vienna

7% Carapils

Nice ingredient mix for a Kolsch base. A bit of rye malt goes well in there too. wink

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

I think he means he pitched the yeast cake from a 9L batch into a 19L batch. unsure

My Bo Pils is in its second and final week of FV lagering with plans to keg and bottle it on Sunday. Threw in some Polyclar yesterday so it should be nice and clear by then (or even now). Spinning up a 1469 starter on my heated stir plate at the moment, pitched the yeast into it about 3 hours ago. That'll be going into my ESB on Monday to get that one underway.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hi Kelsey.

...Spinning up a 1469 starter on my heated stir plate at the moment' date=' pitched the yeast into it about 3 hours ago. That'll be going into my ESB on Monday to get that one underway.[/quote']

How long are you keeping your yeast on the stir plate? I'd be interested to know.

I'm guessing you are refrigerating the propagated yeast again prior to pitching into the brew given the timeframe you are talking about here?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty,

It will be refrigerated prior to pitching yes, as is my standard practice.

As for the time spent on the stir plate, this is where it gets a bit interesting. lol

Normally, I would simply stir it for 24-30 hours, then turn off the stirrer and let it sit there for a couple more days to finish up before re-stirring it to mix it all up again for harvesting.

In this instance because the weather is a bit cold overnight, I will leave it stirring until I go to work tomorrow morning (which is just over 30 hours stirring in total), and then switch the stirrer back on again when I go to bed tomorrow night to keep it warm enough to carry on. Then it can be switched off again Friday morning, before being stirred up again on Saturday in order to harvest some of it prior to crash chilling it.

I'm just glad that the warmer weather is just around the corner, because then I can go back to normal procedure again. Of course, if I was using a lager yeast I would stir it for its usual 36-48 hours then simply leave it, because I know the temps aren't too cold for it to keep going. In this case I would have made the starter on Monday though, just to allow it the extra day to ferment out.

In the warmer months they normally get made up on Wednesdays with a Saturday harvest and CC, and a Monday pitch into batch, because obviously with the warmer temps they ferment a lot faster.

Cheers

Kelsey

Speaking of this particular starter, this one has taken off like a rocket and pretty much filled the flask with krausen. This doesn't happen often. 4 hours ago the krausen was about 15mm thick. Obviously with the conical shape, when they do get up they do go higher than if it was cylindrical, but it's sure going gangbusters either way.

I have the stir plate set at 22C to keep it nice and warm and it's doing a fine job of that too. An excellent addition to the brewery for sure, which allows me to brew ales through winter and still use yeast starters as a harvesting method.

13620316_10210478674591729_7869086548955656804_n.jpg?oh=762958a18ee0a82e2863d5f5305d0fee&oe=582ABF97

Cheers

Kelsey

What's in my fermenters? Unfortunately, nothing! I'm all out of fermentables and I am, not so patiently, awaiting more supplies. When they do get here I'm going to have a crack at a partial-mash version of OVB's Red Ale. After that it will be a session ale based around Citra (my new favourite hop) and then an Imperial IPA - because I haven't made a true IIPA yet.

I may have to buy some more PET bottles as my beer stocks are really good at the moment. I've been brewing 60-bottle batches lately, using two fermenters at a time. I'm in the happy position of brewing them faster than I can drink them.

Cheers

I just added the 80gms of EKG in 4 separate hop tea bags to my British IPA in the FV. The beer smelled nice, & the bitterness was at a good level from the previous gravity reading samples I tried.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what level & type of aroma I can achieve from the EKG having never used it this way before, and also what the Golden Promise Malt brings to the party.

I'll now leave the FV alone at ambient conditions until late Friday where I'll place it back in the fridge to chill down ready for kegging on Sunday.

I'm hopeful for a nice outcome, & will update once it's on the pour.

Cheers,

Lusty.

At the moment just a Coopers Dark Ale which I quickly threw in after my Brisbane trip. Been away almost two weeks and I had two FV's just sitting here looking all forlorn. Anyhow, that will be bottled tonight. Looks like coming out at 4.8% after priming. Should be very nice.

Just received in the mail today my Bockenator order. Really been looking forward to this one. My first go at something with grains so am very keen to see how it turns out. Done kits & bits before using different malts and hop additions and they have been great. Next step is to get into extract brewing and see how that goes. whether I go to all grain in the future I don't know yet as I don't have a lot of room.

What I really need is a couple more FV's. I've got two but can't seem to get in front with beer stock, I drink it too quickly biggrin. With the two cartons of PET bottles on the way, I'll have four sets of 30's. So I've worked out that by brewing four at a time, I'll be able to get in front and get some bottle age.

Cheerswink

I've got another partial in the fv at the moment, second I've done but haven't been able to try the first as it's only been in the bottles for a week.

Pale ale, 19 litres

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %

2.5 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 73.5%

0.3 kg German - Munich Light 37 6 8.8%

0.5 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light 42 4 14.7%

0.1 kg American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 2.9%

3.4 kg Total

Hops

Amount Variety AA Use Time

25 g Centennial 10 Boil 60 min

20 g Chinook 13 Boil 15 min

20 g Cascade 7 Boil 10 min

20 g Chinook 13 Boil 5 min

20 g Cascade 7 Boil 0 min

20 g Chinook 13 Dry Hop 0 days

20 g Cascade 7 Dry Hop 0 days

Yeast US-05

OG: 1044

Doing these as biab on the stove, seems to be working well. My efficiency on the first batch was 65%, and 70% on this one which I'm happy with. Still, not sure if I can claim that with adding 500g of dme.

Will see when it comes to tasting, as these brews will be the step into all grain with an urn eventually.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi guys.

My Steam beer using the MJ's M54 yeast appears to be coming along well. My only concern is the current SG/FG. Calculator predicted 1.013-1.014 & fermentation appears to have it settled out @ 1.016. Given my last brew (an IPA) stopped short of its projected FG, it is a bit of a concern.

Concerned enough that I checked the calibration on my hydrometer, & it is fine, so am a little miffed as to why this has happened again so soon. unsure

The beer tastes fine from the sample I drew off, but short of predicted FG as mentioned. There was plenty of yeast pitched (2 sachets) & the ferment was strong so no problem there either. I've upped the temperature to 19°C & will leave it for a few more days before taking another sample. If it's stable, I'll crash chill & keg it next week.

One big positive is, it has a good malt character I was hoping for by using this yeast. happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

I am experimenting with achieving bitterness using all late addition hops with this pale ale.

American Pale Ale

Chilled version

24 litre batch

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Golden Promise

0.50 kg Crystal Malt - 60L

0.25 kg Aromatic Malt

10.00 g Citra [13.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min

10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min

10.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

15.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min

15.00 g Citra [13.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min

15.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min

Yeast: 200 billion cells Safale American(Fermentis #US-05)

Interesting to see how that one turns out mate. I suspect a fair whack of hop flavour. biggrin

I kegged and bottled my latest Bohemian Pilsner today, took 5.5 litres for the bottles and 19 of course for the keg. Ended up with 15 stubbies. After that the FV got a soak for an hour or so and then my re-brew of the ESB that ended up all over the laundry floor a few months back went in. I got 22 litres into the fermenter on this one (21L intended batch). Pitched the 1469 cold after decanting and stirring up, then used Ruddy's trick of draining some of the wort into the flask to stir up the rest of the yeast to get as much into the FV as possible. Good trick mate, it worked well!

It's been set to ferment at 18C, although it dropped to 17, probably due to having the fridge on pretty much right up until it was pitched to keep the yeast cold. I'm sure like always though, that it'll warm up once it starts fermenting. Set to be kegged in 3 weeks time, when yesterday's Galena pale ale will go in to be fermented.

Cheers

Kelsey

This 1469 is a bloody weird yeast. No complaints with the beers it produces, but seriously, its behaviour is quite erratic.

The photo of the starter above shows it going mental with a huge lot of krausen, which ended up escaping the flask and went all down the outside of it a few hours after that photo was taken. Fast forward to pitching it into the main batch and it's hardly woken up at all, visually at least. There is a krausen on the beer, but it would be lucky to be 10mm high. Currently sitting at 19C.

alien

Despite the appearance of bugger all activity from the yeast, I took a sample a little earlier and it is down to 1.019, so I've raised the temp on the controller up to 22C, and will let it rise by itself in the fridge. How far up it will actually get I have no idea, though. Estimated FG is 1.012, but given it's being kegged only, I'm not too worried if it's out by a little. I'm leaving the hydrometer sample on the kitchen bench to monitor it there. Should be able to start crashing it mid next week I think.

I've been trying to get my hands on some 1469 for a while now. Everytime I try and order some from CB they're out of it. Had to use some Ringwood Ale instead in my last 2 Timothy Taylor's Landlord ales. Now CB are out of it again. More due in next Wednesday. How about you leaving me some on the shelf there Kelsey. biggrin

I found the Ringwood ale yeast had the most persistent krausen I have ever encountered. 2 weeks in the FV and 5 days of crash chill and I still had to whack the side of the FV with a wooden spoon to get it to drop out.

I had a long extract/partial brew day set down for today, but awoke & just felt stuffed from the previous 3 days of work & not in the mood for 4+ hours work in the brewery. So I ducked around to the local Foodland & grabbed a can of Coopers AUS Pale Ale, & mixed up the following that took just over an hour to get in the FV.

Coopers AUS Pale Ale kit 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 1.25kg

Dextrose 100gms

Amarillo & Cluster 25gms each @ flameout steeped for 10mins then cooled.

2 x kit yeast re-hydrated

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 19°C

OG = approx. 1.049

FG = approx. 1.011

Kegged ABV = approx. 5.0%

I might dry hop it with some more Cluster if I can be bothered. The planned brew will have to wait for another day.

Time for a fresh British style IPA from the keg. biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

I've been trying to get my hands on some 1469 for a while now. Everytime I try and order some from CB they're out of it. More due in next Wednesday. How about you leaving me some on the shelf there Kelsey. biggrin

lollol I only bought one smackpack, I've just been harvesting it from my starters and re-using it since then. It's a pretty popular yeast though.

I am experimenting with achieving bitterness using all late addition hops with this pale ale.

I made a pale a while ago with no hops boiled. Only flameout and it was very nice.

Grumpy

I read an article about this (late addition hops only) which said that the bitterness was a much smoother bitterness. The article first appeared in Zymurgy. Also you can pack more hop flavour into a brew without escalating the bitterness big time. I did a cut and paste job into my brew info but did not reference where I got it from. It makes sense to me. I am also doing some FWHing which as you know is supposed to also give a smoother bitterness. The above recipe comes in around at 44 IBUs but I'm thinking it will not taste like 44 IBUs due to late additions only. I am a hopaholic and a maltaholic.

I had a long extract/partial brew day set down for today' date=' but awoke & just felt stuffed from the previous 3 days

Lusty.[/quote']

Lusty - She's runnin ya ragged mate! sick

Where's Hairy when you need him? biggrin

Kelsey - I harvested some Ringwood 1187 smackpack but really want to brew a TT Landlord with the 1469 as that is supposed to be what it is brewed with.

You need to be younger to keep up with that and still feel like brewing Lusty winklol

Morrie, just keep an eye out on CB - or hit the 'notify me' button on that yeast. I've never used it myself but I suspect they send you an email when it comes back in stock so you can order it.

Archived