Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2016

Otto Von Blotto

I just took an FG sample of my 'Chintennial' pale ale, it's sitting around 1.012 at the moment, so perhaps another point or two to go but for all intents and purposes it's finished. I had a sneaky taste test as well, and this brew is much much better than the last pale ale, so I daresay it was the yeast that ruined that one. I won't go over 7 generations with US-05 in future when I do use it. I'm gonna dry hop it tomorrow with 20g each of Centennial and Chinook.

I'll probably crash chill this one on Friday so it can be kegged next weekend, and then the next batch of Bo Pils can go in to be fermented.

Definitely glad to have an excellent result with this brew, APA is one of my favourite styles and generally turns out well, but obviously that yeast had mutated too far away from its original form and began throwing off flavours.

Cheers

Kelsey

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had another more involved brew day planned for today, but other more pressing issues prevented that. I still wanted to get something down though, so a quick kit & kilo solves that problem. smile

Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt extract 1.15kg

Dextrose 100gms

Centennial 20gms/Citra 10gms hop tea

Nottingham yeast (rehydrated @ 35°C)

Brewed to 23 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

The last (& only) time I brewed the Bootmaker Pale Ale kit in its basic form I was a little (just a little) disappointed with the final flavour(s) @ 23 litres. So this time around I added the hop tea.

I've been reluctant to brew this kit to 21 litres due to the quoted IBU that equates to approx. 41.3 @ 23 litres. Over the journey I've found a number of the Coopers kits produce a better flavour when fermented to 21 litres, but didn't want this one coming across too bitter by doing that as I don't know how much of the IBU count is coming from late addition hops.

I've also used Nottingham instead of US-05 this time around in the hope of obtaining a slightly higher attenuation. So will monitor that. At some point I would like to brew this kit with the amber malt extract, but will shelve that idea until the end of Summer most likely. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I awoke early this morning & before attempting to go back to sleep I thought I'd hop up & have a look at how the above brew was going.

Inside 12 hours since pitching the yeast & it was banging along like a congo drum! biggrin

You gotta love Nottingham yeast. It's a beast! In general, I'm liking the effects the higher dry yeast rehydration temp appears to be having too. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Nice one mate. Hope it turns out well!

My 'Chintennial' pale ale has just begun its journey down to 0C for a week before being kegged and bottled next Saturday. After that, my next Bo Pils will be going in and be the first to test out this new oxygenation process too, so that one will be an exciting one for me. biggrin

Little worried about the Rye XPA in my FV now , gravity has only hit 1.016 and US-05 already dropped clear ( 7 days )

had expected 1.008 but my mash temps did creep up to over 70 after starting at 66 C so that might be all i get , dare say i'll under prime the batch just in case .

Second generation US-05 1.5 l starter and showed only 5-8 mm of krausen

Hi Markoman.

Little worried about the Rye XPA in my FV now ' date=' gravity has only hit 1.016 and US-05 already dropped clear ( 7 days )

had expected 1.008 but my mash temps did creep up to over 70 after starting at 66 C so that might be all i get , dare say i'll under prime the batch just in case .

Second generation US-05 1.5 l starter and showed only 5-8 mm of krausen [/quote']

US-05 typically displays a thin krausen so I wouldn't be overly concerned about that. Your higher mash temp would be contributing to a higher FG.

A 4°C shift from 65°C up to 69°C in the mash can add approx. an extra 6 points to your FG, & your situation seems to mirror this. How did your mash get so out of control? unsure

BYO Magazine - Understanding Enzymes: Homebrew Science

Cheers,

Lusty.

Put simply i just stuffed up !

i was bottling a batch , drinking and talking to a mate at the time also as an added complication it's a new stove .... didn't add up to me paying as much attention as i usually do to my mash as i normally would .

i'll leave it a bit longer ,may get a few more points yet but what's the worst that can happen ?

Hiya Hairy. smile
I have a Vienna Lager with Helga hops in the FV at present. Yesterday the temp was dropped to 1C after a d-rest and will be ready to keg next weekend.

What yeast strain did you use?

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

S-189.

Fermentis now sell this in 11.5g packets rather than the 500g blocks. Previously I had to buy Craftbrewer repackaged yeast to obtain this.

Put these 2 down on Saturday. Currently a 40mm krausen on top and motoring.

Brew 1.

Timothy Taylor’s Landlord knock off.

27 litre kettle batch / chilled

Malted to 1.045 OG

Golden Promise 97%

Dark Crystal 3%

Stryian Goldings @ flameout, 1.5 grams per litre, 15 min whirlpool steep. 40 grams

East Kent Goldings 1 grams per litre @ 20 min. 27 grams

Fuggles @ 60 min bittered for total batch of 32 IBUs. 40 grams.

Yeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale, 200 billion cells.

Brew 2

ESB

27 litre kettle batch / chilled.

Malted to 1.045 OG

Golden Promise 84%

Munich II 10%

Aromatic 3%

Dark Crystal 3%

40g fuggles @ 60 min

27g EKG @ 10 min

40 g Stryian Goldings @ flameout 15 min steep.

32 IBUs.

Yeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale, 200 billion cells.

Well that's been a busy afternoon as I finally got the time to get some brews going. I've only got one full keg and two with about 1/4 in each so had to get on with it today or I may of dried out!

Yorkshire Square went in 1st which I made to the letter. (Calling this one "EEE By Gum")

Keeping with the Yorkshire theme the next was a Clone of Timothy Taylor Landlord, Premium English Bitter. Using: 100g Honey, S-04 English Ale Yeast, Goldings Finishing Hops, 500g Briess Golden Light Dried Malt, 400g Dextrose and as I didn't have a Tin of Muntons Premium Lager I used Coopers International Series European Lager. (Hope that works)

(Naming this one after the Brewery "Keighley Bitter 1858")

And the last Brew for the day was a quick simply one using the Coopers Canadian Blonde Lager, 500g Dextrose, 250g Maltodextrin, 250g Briess Golden Light Dried Malt, and Saflager S-23 yeast

(Naming it "Moose")

(Still failing to upload Photo's! unsure)

Yeah' date=' Swiss lager yeast. I like it.[/quote']

I wonder if it is anything like the Wyeast 2000 Budvar strain. I really did like the beer I brewed with this strain.

It's a pretty slim category in the liquid yeast strains, so it could well be. unsure

It has me interested enough in trying it if I can get hold of any.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yeah' date=' Swiss lager yeast. I like it.[/quote']

I wonder if it is anything like the Wyeast 2000 Budvar strain. I really did like the beer I brewed with this strain.

It's a pretty slim category in the liquid yeast strains, so it could well be. unsure

It has me interested enough in trying it if I can get hold of any.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Not sure Lusty.

It is supposed to be the same as WLP885 Zurich Lager yeast. I don't know if there is a Wyeast equivalent.

My Bootmaker Pale Ale is coming along well. At day 4 the Nottingham yeast has smashed it as usual, down to 1.013. This one is smelling & tasting better than my first brewing of the kit. happy Any of the "C" hops are a good choice for adding to this kit.

If the yeast can chew through another couple of points I'll be happy. If not, then there must be something about this kit & expected FG's associated with it, as my last brewing with it (using US-05) had the FG a tad high too I thought. unsure

Cheers,

Lusty.

Last night I bottled up my English IPA. It attenuated down from 1.069 to 1.010 with WLP002, so that makes a bit over 8% ABV after bottle conditioning which is right on what I was hoping for. It's tasting really good, nice and bitter, lots of hop flavour and aroma and a nice rich malt base. I'll let this one age for a few months before sampling.

Before I bottled that up, I sanitized my full-size Coopers fermenter. After bottling my IPA I poured in my Hopdog Grapefruit pale ale fresh wort kit, topped up to 20 litres and then pitched about a cup of WLP002 slurry. It's sitting at 17C at the moment, with a nice krausen.

Currently crash chilling my little kit & kilo Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale with a bit of Citra & Centennial. Will likely keg this Saturday/Sunday.

Then I'm brewing a beer I haven't been able to brew for over 2 years due to Nelson Sauvin shortages. It was modelled around information I was able to collect on both the Beechworth Pale Ale, & the Punk IPA, so it's a bit of a hybrid. Really looking forward to brewing this again. love

Then I better get to & brew that Coopers Crown Lager for Dad... whistling

Cheers,

Lusty.

haven't been on much but still at it, done a grolsch and German pils over winter (the grolcsh is amazing) and a apple and passion fruit cider.

just putting one down now with some leftover hops from earlier in the year.....

so here goes.

2 kg ldm

1 kg dextrose

300 grams crystal

20 grams galaxy @30

10 grams vic secret @30

7 grams (coz thats all i had) vic secret @15

25l

us05

dry hop 5 days in with???? love any suggestions, looking at Amarillo or sticking too galaxy possibly.....

want it to be overly hoppy.

will be in the tub for about 7-12 days and then racked to clear up a bit for another 7-12....

on another note ive got cascade coming up nicely in my already overcrowded vegi patch and am looking forward to making beer with my own hops for fun.

Hi all,

I'm an extract brewer and new to the site lots of great info on here. At the moment I have a german style pilsner i kinda made up myself ( with the help of Ian H spreadsheet) using hallertau blanc hops which is on diacetyl rest atm. First time trying a pilsner and doing the bittering myself. i also have a finished stout that I'm 'attempting' to carbonate in a corny keg using about 80g of dextrose first time trying this too so hopefully all goes well.

Archived