Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2016

Otto Von Blotto

Don't have to take my word for it, go to your brewing software, find a recipe with a bittering addition at 60 minutes, change it to 80 minutes.. it'll go up maybe 2 IBUs at the most.

Just mucked around with one that has a 10g addition of Magnum at 60 minutes for 12.8 IBUs. At 80 minutes it says 13.5 IBUs, so not even a whole one IBU increase, hence why adjusting long boiled hops is unnecessary wink.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When boiling hops beyond 60mins I've noticed little difference for that bittering addition too. However, when using hops between 30-60mins for your bittering addition I have noticed an increased flavour pick-up by doing this. That's nothing new though, but be weary as this can leave lingering flavours that mingle in with the typical 0-30min flavour additions in your hop schedule.

I've done a few 45min bittering additions in the past using a number of different hops, & admit they lacked a little "bite" & did transfer more obvious flavour notes into the beer. That's fine if that is what you are looking for, but can be quite detrimental to the type of beer you're aiming to create in some cases.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yes I was referring solely to 60 minute or longer additions in my earlier post. As is well known, I don't adjust any of my hop additions on account of no-chill, I've just worked out a basic schedule that works to get the beer how I want it in the glass. But for those who do adjust additions, the 60+ minute ones can be left alone without causing any problems.

I brewed up 11 litres of Vienna Lager last night. It's safely in my little Coopers Craft fermenter now, pitched with some WLP838 Southern German Lager slurry. I've got it in my Cool Brewing Bag with a few ice bricks at the moment and will be fermenting at 13° C.

I really like this WLP838 yeast. It ferments fast and clean then drops out nicely. Flavour-wise, after sampling one of my pilsners to check carbonation, I can say that it is great. The yeast had compacted nicely in the bottle and the carbonation was perfect. Of course the beer could do with a little bit more conditioning, but it was tasting beautiful already. This yeast strain really brings out the malt richness well, but there is still plenty of tasty Saaz hop flavour and aroma.

After kegging the Galena pale ale on Monday, and harvesting a portion of the 2001 Urquell starter, the flask got a couple of days in the keg fridge to crash chill and today was pitched into my XXXX Bitter rip off muck around brew. It hasn't shown any signs of activity as yet, but it has only been about 10 hours since pitching. I got 24 litres into the FV at an OG of 1.043. It's meant to get down to about 1.005 FG giving me 4.9% ABV in the keg.

I don't think this will quite turn out as intended as I wasn't able to source the right malt (ended up with English pale malt) and the yeast is wrong as well, but I do have enough Cluster left over from it to do it again with the right malt and yeast. I'll pick those up next time I'm at CB.

Should be ready to be kegged and the surplus bottled in about 4 weeks or so.

Cheers

Kelsey

Fridge 1: DIY ESVA '16, thought it was stuck at 1.021 but upped the temp and is going again.

Fridge 2: DIY Golden Ale, did have some clove flavours going on but they have dissipated. ran out of hop balls so the hops are free balling.

Fridge 3 top: DIY Black Mountain, I think i missed winter on this.

Fridge 3 Bottom: Craft B Side IPA, the craft IPA tin smells really nice im pretty keen to try this.

My XXXX ripoff brew is showing early signs of fermentation about 30 hours post pitch. There are small "islands" of yeast or bubbles or both, forming on the surface of it, so it looks as if it's getting going. The last brew I fermented with this yeast took over 40 hours to show any visible signs but the beer itself turned out fine.

I suspect it's a combination of the yeast strain which is known for slowish starts, and the low 10C temp I ferment it at. It always takes off like a rocket in the starters, but these are done much warmer.

Cheers

Kelsey

Craft DIY Fermenter

My Vienna lager was down to 1.010 after a week of fermentation. I started it off at 10° C, let it slowly rise to 12° C over a couple of days and then held it there. After the krausen started to drop a couple of days ago I stopped cooling it and let it naturally rise up to about 16° C. The gravity sample tastes beautiful, Vienna malt is really lovely, and there's a surprising amount of Hallertauer character showing up from a single FWH addition. I think this will be a good one!

Full size DIY Fermenter

My batch of 2016 ESVA is still at 1.011, since I last checked 4 or 5 days ago, so I'd say it's finished fermenting. It's tasting good, fairly close to what I imagine a warm, flat version of the commercial beer would be like (although that takes some stretching of the imagination). Somehow it doesn't quite have the magic of my small batch of Vienna Lager in the other fermenter, but that can all change in the bottle!

Hi guys.

I began cold crashing my Seymour Undertow Pale Ale yesterday. The malt bill is nothing special & pretty standard for a Pale Ale type beer, but the use of the El Dorado hop is really what this brew was all about.

Aromatically it is smelling very good from the 40gm dry hop addition. As I mentioned previously, the oil content of this hop is very good, & well suited to dry hopping. I'll have a better idea of the beer profile once it's kegged & on the pour, but the aromatic hit thus far presents very well & comparably I'd have to use 60-80 odd grams of some other hops to attain a similar level. cool

Given the unavailability of Nelson Sauvin atm, I'm looking for a possible substitute. I'm hoping this could be it.

Promising. happy

I'll update once it's on the pour.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Ive currently got a somewhat bastardised IPA sitting in my fermenter. Brewed it on Sunday the 28th of August, Late hopped it Monday 5th Sept. I'll be adding finings tonight, and going to be bottling and kegging it on Sunday.

OG was 1.072, Current SG is 1.014. Will naturally carbonate and should be about 7ish % ABV

Finally got the Kolsch i've been meaning to do for a month made up ....

22 L

OG 1.048

IBU 25

EBC 7.3

4.25 kg german bo pils

.25 kg german Munich I

40 g Hallertau @ 60

5 g Chinook @60

10 g Hallertau @ 10

10 g Amarillo @ 10

.33 Whirlfloc @ 10

Wyeast 2565 starter with an almost " fast lager method " planned , will hold it at 14 C until it reaches 50 % attenuation then let it rise to 17-18 C , few days D-rest then gelatine / CC before mini kegging then 2-3 weeks lagering

Should be about ready just in time for my birthday

I checked the gravity of my XXXX muck around batch yesterday and it was only down to the high 1.020s from a 1.043 starting point. Yeast pitched last Wednesday. Seems quite slow for that yeast, normally it chews through faster than that, even at 10C.

In any case, I raised the STC to 18C and am letting the brew rise by itself inside the closed fridge. 12 hours ago it had got up to 12C, so I'll have another quick look on my way out to work in a few minutes. The hydrometer sample on the bench has obviously warmed up much quicker than the main batch, and it's steadily dropping down; it's sitting around the 1.022 mark from what I can see, will be interesting to see if it does drop down to the predicted 1.005 FG.

It's very inspiring reading all these brews going! After a 12 year hiatus from brewing, I've started again with a Golden Ale incorporating some Vienna grain and Amarillo. Got it in the FV yesterday with an OG of 1.042. The temp controller's set for 19 degrees. Now I am remembering the stress of 'Did I sanitise well enough' thoughts until its fermented!w00t

Hey marko nice looking summer ale mate!

Just to be picky Kolsch yeast has similar quality's to Lager yeast as in the fact that it needs longer lagering time than most ale yeasts...

yet its happier in standard ale temps... 18-20

Ide start the yeast @17-18 then raise up to 20-22,

There is nothing to be gained by lower end @ 14 (just longer lag time)

...You realy need to treat the kolsch yeast the same way you would Californian ale yeast...except lager it 3x longer, It smells like cats shit and lagers just like lager

Starting @14 I would be better off using a Californian Lager yeast...

Hopefuly it works to prove me wrong mate

Hey marko nice looking summer ale mate!

Just to be picky Kolsch yeast has similar quality's to Lager yeast as in the fact that it needs longer lagering time than most ale yeasts...

yet its happier in standard ale temps... 18-20

Ide start the yeast @17-18 then raise up to 20-22' date='

There is nothing to be gained by lower end @ 14 (just longer lag time)

Hopefuly it works to prove me wrong mate[/quote']

Took a sneaky sample to see where it's at after 48 hours , SG has dropped to 1.022 biggrin , now allowing temps to rise by 4 degrees to finish off .

Sample tastes just as i hoped it would , no off flavours at all but a slight sulphur smell.

Only had 8 hours lag on this before i could see convection in the FV , starters are just fantastic ! no more long lag times or worrying about yeast health as i KNOW i'm pitching strong healthy yeast

thermostrip shows 15 C but sample came in at 16.5 ...my ferments may have been running warmer than i thought for some time nowannoyed , at least through the most active phase so probably lucky i tend to try to keep to lower end of temps .

Fingers crossed it comes out as expected

The filled two fermenters yesterday. The first one was the Cooper's Family Secret can. I used US-05 yeast to give it a cleaner flavour. I dusted off the first FV I purchased and used up the Cooper's Mexican can I have had for a bit now. So long it was a month passed the best before date. I used just the can up to 18L and pitched the 7g yeast pack that came with the can. I have to say I just love the sound of an airlock bubbling away.

I think my XXXX Bitter muck around brew is practically finished fermenting. It appears to have finished higher than expected at 1.008, but I'll leave the sample on the bench over the weekend, and take a couple of proper samples next week to be sure. Today is day 9, so it's certainly following the usual timeframe with this yeast.

If it's finished then it can be dropped down to 0 late next week for a two week CC before being kegged and bottled.

FV1 has the Kolsch i brewed a week ago

it hit a lower than expected FG of 1.012 but will leave it sit a bit longer at 20 C to make sure it's finished and clean before a CC

FV2 has frozen Starsan in it ....put it into new secondhand brew fridge at lowest temp just to make sure the fridge worked fine .... Well it works fine . might be the best 100 aussie pesos i ever spent

Ive got my 46 litre Amber Flight brew cold crashing atm, I used WLP001 slurry in a 500ml jar that was in the fridge for about 3 months...It seems to have worked a treat,

Also got a mega swill 85% Pale malt, 15% munich & hopped with super pride mostly all bittering with a small late addition, WLP810 sanfransico lager yeast started @15 degrees and finishing off @20degrees! Ive cultivated heaps of this yeast HMMM I hope I like it LOL

My Oktoberfest has made it safely into my little Craft DIY fermenter and is in my Cool Brewing bag with some nice WLP838 slurry pitched happy

If history repeats itself it should be at 10C when I check it in the morning. I will then let it slowly rise up to about 13C as it gets into the height of fermentation. After the krausen starts to drop, I'll let it slowly rise up to ambient temperatures. From the last 2 batches I've observed that WLP838 works very quickly and is highly flocculant, so I'll hopefully be bottling this up in a couple of weeks. As per the Vienna Lager I harvested the slurry from, I'll wait until all the sulphur has dissipated before bottling.

I have decided that I love this yeast strain. It's so well behaved and easy to use, and produces really tasty beers. Next winter I will definitely try to get my hands on another pitch!

I took a sample of my XXXX yesterday and it is now sitting at 1.006, so only one point off the predicted FG. I can live with that, gives me an ABV of 4.8%, or 5.2% in the bottled portion. It looks like it's finished too, so I'll check it again tomorrow and if it's the same then the STC can be dropped down to 0C for a fortnight before kegging/bottling it.

After that, I have another batch of my red ale going into the FV. It's nice to have a couple of regular house beers now.

Sounds like all has successfully completed to plan Kelsey, hopefully shes a mega winner!

Ive got a sanfransico lager fermenting out quite slowly...Ive brewed with this yeast before with much faster results... I started it @15 degrees its only 1016 atm after 5 days, its sitting @ 21 degrees now hopefully its down by sunday. then crash for several weeks

My plan was to make a series of fast ferment lagers using steam beer yeast, so far ones on tap and drinking realy well!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I put together a simple little extract pale ale brew on Sunday. With some recent discussion on the forum about rehydrating dry yeast at an elevated temperature, I decided to give this a shot & rehydrated the US-05 @ 37°C.

I'm happy to report there were no ill effects by doing this. Quite the contrary from what I have observed. My brew got up & going noticeably quicker than it usually does, & is currently fermenting strongly. happy

My previous brew was of the same OG, same ferment volume, similar ingredients, using the same yeast, but I rehydrated around 25-26°C, & it did not take off anywhere near as quickly.

I'm not ready to claim anything conclusive just yet, but the elevated rehydration does appear to reduce lag time before active signs of fermentation become noticeable. I plan to continue using the elevated rehydration temperature from here onward.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Last night my Galaxy IPA went into my little Craft fermenter. With a decent dose of late hops it smells great!

It's sitting at 17° C and now I'm just waiting for my WLP002 pitch to kick in and slowly warm it up. After fermentation starts to slow, I'll be rousing the yeast daily if it is starting to clear and the gravity isn't as low as I'd like it to be.

At the moment I'm planning to throw in the dry hop when the SG gets down to the 1.020 - 1.025 range. Well, I'm torn between that or leaving the dry hop until the SG is down to as low as I can get it. It's a choice between getting some hop oils dissolved and then being transformed by the yeast versus just getting the hop oils dissolved. At the moment I'm leaning towards getting a bit of hop / yeast interaction going.

Archived