Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2016

Otto Von Blotto

Put down another batch last night. This one a Kolsch

3.8kg of Pilsener Malt

0.1kg Light Crystal

0.25kg Carapils

Mash for 90 mins @ 65c with a 10 min mash out at 75c

90 min boil with 10gm Magnum @ 60 Mins and 25gm Hallertau @ 60 mins and a whirlfloc @ 15 mins

Into the fermenter this morning for 22.5 litres with an OG of 1046 which from the brewhouse calculator comes out at 80% efficiency. Much better than the last one.

Mill was still playing up intermittently so as a consequence I put it through the mill twice. Still have to get the hang of this mill. Seems to jam up constantly.

Fermenting this baby @ 16c with K-97 yeast 1.5L starter then going to take it off to a jerry can and lager it for 3 weeks while im on holiday.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Galena pale ale has stabilised at 1.010 FG, down from 1.0475, which gives it a 4.9% ABV content. The sample tastes a little bananarey, but I have had this in batches in the past and by the time it's carbed and ready to drink it has dissipated. I might leave it til Sunday to CC it just to give the yeast a bit more time to clean up, although I expect it will spend some time at room temp in the keg anyway before it goes on tap.

Cheers

Kelsey

Definitely sounds like you need to do something about that mill or whatever it is that is causing the inconsistent efficiency. Nothing worse when trying to design a recipe than not knowing what the bloody efficiency will be.

Yeah agree. Probably should have bought a higher spec one in the first place to be honest. Took over half an hour to run the grain through it twice. Painful stuff. The crush was very fine at the end with lots of dust but the mash went fine. I think the re circulation pump helped a lot there.

Inconsistent is the word. I have based all my recipes on 74 and while I am not complaining about a higher efficiency your right consistency is always the key.

Coopers pale clone V2 is looking close to FG after less than 72 hours , step mash must create a very fermentable wort indeed , no doubt helped by 2 x 500 ml starters both at high krausen of CCA

Today is the MO / Chinook smash

21 litres

4 kg Marris Otter

10 g Chinook @ 60

15g @ 20

20g @ flameout

?? g dry hop / tea in bottling bucket

Nottingham @ 17 C

Thanks for the tips Morrie they look good. Citra is a bit hard to get at the moment, must be the in thing. So had to drop one recipe and find another for my brew day - today.

Finally did my Golden Mead Ale, although that is still cooling from simmer to 20C. My Fruit Salad Ale and the SMOTY Ale are both in the FV's. House smells of hops at the moment, very nice.

Just for interest, the golden Mead Ale is

1.5kg Saunders Malt Extract (which is pure barley malt)

1kg of Leabrook Farm Leatherwood Honey (like I'm gunna find that up here - so honey whatever)

25g Saaz

Cascade Bohemian, or S-04. (Using American Ale Yeast)

Very easy, just chuck everything in 4-5lt of boiling water, except the yeast of course, and simmer for 30 mins. Allow to cool to 20C covered. Add to FV and top up to 18lt and pitch yeast.

Never tasted mead before , but have always wanted to, so will be interesting.

By the way, does anybody know what SMOTY stands for? Probably something simple but I can't work it out.

The fermentability of the wort doesn't have any real impact on how long it takes to reach FG, in fact, the more fermentable the wort is the longer it should take, not shorter, as the yeast has to ferment more sugars.

In any case, fast fermentation is more due to very healthy yeast in adequate numbers as well as a nutritional and well aerated wort.

By the way' date=' does anybody know what SMOTY stands for? Probably something simple but I can't work it out. [/quote']

Smoty is either Shortest month of the year or street machine of the year smile

The fermentability of the wort doesn't have any real impact on how long it takes to reach FG' date=' in fact, the more fermentable the wort is the longer it should take, not shorter, as the yeast has to ferment more sugars.

In any case, fast fermentation is more due to very healthy yeast in adequate numbers as well as a nutritional and well aerated wort.[/quote']

OK well my starter method must be somewhere close as it got the job done , had assumed that shorter sugar chains would ferment more quickly / completely

They are certainly fermented more completely hence why you end up with a lower FG reading if you have a large amount of them in the wort, but whether they are fermented more quickly, I don't know but I suspect not really enough to have a huge impact on the timeframe for it to hit FG.

I dropped the fridge down to 0C earlier, it was sitting at 10C when I checked it before so on the way down for a week long cold crash before being kegged. This will give me three full kegs: this current batch, an ESB and a Bo Pils, which will all be on tap for my birthday weekend. Nicely timed too, 3 of my favourite styles. cool

By the way, SMOTY stands for shortest month of the year. I believe that recipe came out in the February of whatever year it was.

Hey Kelsey - what temperature do you run your 1469 yeast at? I'm running 2 batches at the moment at 19 to 19.3ºC for the primary phase on my Yorkshire ale and its going ape shit. It just looks like its boiling inside the Coopers FV.

That's pretty much the temperature I ferment it at too mate, sometimes a degree higher in English ale styles. It's a funny yeast, I have mine up to about 4 generations now I think, and each time I've used it it has behaved differently. Some batches it has gone mental like that, others it has hardly offered any visual signs of activity. Last time I used it in my ESB, it went stupid in the starter, which ended up partly escaping the flask, but then in the ESB batch the krausen was lucky to be over 10mm high. Still fermented out fine and the FG and kegging day taste tests were very good.

Despite its somewhat strange behaviour I do really like what it brings to the beers fermented with it. It finishes more on the dry side but it still leaves behind a goodly amount of malt flavour.

Funny you mentioned about it escaping the flask. Mine did the same with the first batch but then I did a full 3 litre propagation. The last one I did I only made a 2 litre batch. I should be able to get away with a 2.5 L I reckon. Yeah - I read somewhere about higher fermentation temps bringing more flavour to English Ale yeasts.

Just reused full slurry from a previous brew using WLP007 and split it in half to do 2x 18 litre from cubes and put in fermenters... brew was an experimental brew called;

Waylons Amber Flight 60 litres... cubed no chill

7 kg Joe white pale malt

1 kg Joe white - Munich

0.4 g Joe white - Crystal med

0.6 kg Joe white - Dark Crystal

3.5 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale

1 kg Cane Sugar _ sorry but had to get it in

7 g Nugget Pellet 14 Boil 50 min

28 g Magnum Pellet 14 Boil 50 min

25 g Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 50 min

25 g Falconer's Flight Pellet 10 Boil 10 min

50 g Falconer's Flight Pellet 10 Boil 00 min FLAME OUT

After 6 hours Ive got active krusen... after 24 hours its looking vary happy set @18 degrees

I probly could have split this yeast cake into three but Im sure its fine...

Funny you mentioned about it escaping the flask. Mine did the same with the first batch but then I did a full 3 litre propagation. The last one I did I only made a 2 litre batch. I should be able to get away with a 2.5 L I reckon. Yeah - I read somewhere about higher fermentation temps bringing more flavour to English Ale yeasts.
Yeah I think mine was 2.2 litres or something. It was in a 3 litre flask. This amount was inclusive of the amount I steal to re-use later' date=' the starter size needed for the actual batch was only a bit over a litre I think. Not sure how much I actually did harvest now since some of it ended up on the outside of the flask before it was harvested anyway. [img']lol[/img]

Hey Morrie...

Ive been doing 90 minute boils but on this one I did a 80 minut boil instead...so added the hops after 20 minuts instead of 30min, Hey morrie no big deal ive had succesfull brews with 45 min bittering additions before that have worked out great...

In future ill most likely stick to 60 min bittering additions though...but you know with the cubing no chill the 50-45 min may end up being standard

Next brew Im thinking doing a boring mega swill Melbourne Bitter Clone, being a smash with Joe White Base Malt & POR @ 60 &15 additions +10%Cane sugar...Who knows it may end up being an awesome beer...

R.S.R.D (rocket surgery research + development) Don't get it mate! Hope you ant taking piss out of me Mate!

No worries Waylon - understand your reasoning now. I've been experimenting with APAs purely with late additions and flameout only. They tasted good on bottling day but won't really know for sure for a couple more weeks.

Ill take your word on that Kelsey!

Test sample after two days with 007 yeast is down from 1054 too 1015 already mate...

WLP007 is a beast yeast

Had to check it as it was so active...

Nothing worse than a brew lacking that bite from the full bittering addition...

45min does work but im with you nothing like a rounder fuller bitterness-job done...

Just dumped some isinglass into my Galena pale ale that is currently cold crashing. This brew is a bit of an experiment; I'm not adding any Polyclar to it because I want to see how well the isinglass clears up the beer on its own. It will be kegged next Monday and then be on tap whenever the stout keg is empty and the kegerator cleaned out after the mishap with the soda keg.

Archived