Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2016

Otto Von Blotto

Currently crash chilling my little kit & kilo Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale with a bit of Citra & Centennial. Will likely keg this Saturday/Sunday.

Then I'm brewing a beer I haven't been able to brew for over 2 years due to Nelson Sauvin shortages. It was modelled around information I was able to collect on both the Beechworth Pale Ale' date=' & the Punk IPA, so it's a bit of a hybrid. Really looking forward to brewing this again. [img']love[/img]

Then I better get to & brew that Coopers Crown Lager for Dad... whistling

Cheers,

Lusty.

Nelson Sauvin is one of my favourite hops. glad you found some. I'm in WA and have brewed quite a few pale ales using that hop. Didn't know it was in shortage. I accidently bought hallertau blanc hops when i got my ingredients for my current pilsner, i didn't realise until i got home that it was blanc, i did a Google search.... Any way long story short it's apparently similar to Nelson Sauvin without the 'dank'? After reading that i decided i will try it any way. (Not sure what they ment by dank). It was a nice smell during the boil but very light compared to Nelson Sauvin. I hope your brew turns out great.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
G'day Brewers' date=' sounds good Sir Lusty, I have an Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA that I dry hopped with a little Melba and a lot of Centennial. The other is an APA hopped with Melba and Centennial. [img']smile[/img]

I hope this will all turn out well. wink

Melba appears to have the potential to be an excellent dual purpose hop provided the flavour/aroma qualities are forward enough. Interesting that you chose to use it with Centennial, as on paper at least, it appears to mirror quite a number of the attributes of Centennial.

Good flavour profile, co-humulone level, alpha level, & excellent oil content could make this a real standout hop if it has some intensity to it.

Let us know how it turns out MM. wink

...I accidently bought hallertau blanc hops when i got my ingredients for my current pilsner' date=' i didn't realise until i got home that it was blanc, i did a Google search…. Any way long story short it's apparently similar to Nelson Sauvin without the ‘dank’? After reading that i decided i will try it any way. (Not sure what they ment by dank). It was a nice smell during the boil but very light compared to Nelson Sauvin.[/quote']

Welcome to the forum Michael1986.

The Hallertau Blanc appears to be the Germans' attempt at creating a hop similar to Nelson Sauvin. I used some NS on the old Coopers Pilsner kit a few years back, & it turned out really well actually, so if you've used the Hallertau Blanc in the right quantities & the right points of the boil in your pilsner, I'd expect it to blend well.

Good luck with it. wink

Lusty.

I'll be kegging and bottling the surplus of my "Chintennial" pale ale tomorrow, and the keg will be immediately put in to the kegerator to carb up and be ready to sample on Sunday arvo/evening, which I'm sure SWMBO will be happy about as she does enjoy the pale ale style as much as I do. Should get around 12-15 stubbies too.

Then the FV will contain water and sodium perc for a couple of days before another Bo pils goes in, which will be my first brew using the new oxygen set up.

I adjusted the hop amount in the 60 minute boil using the alpha acid % so it worked out to an ibu of 30 according to Ian's extract spreadsheet. I'm gonna be getting an Australian wheat beer pack from my local home brew shop this afternoon. They are pretty good imo. It comes with steeping grains, dry malt, hops and a tin of liquid wheat malt. Got a couple mates coming over tomorrow before we he?ad out to the Fremantle beer festival and I'm gonna get them to try a small sample of my pilsner and see if anyone can pick up any diacetyl tastes ( i can't taste any ) and if all good will be cold crashing then kegging so i can lager for a few weeks. Should have a lots of beers for friends and family to enjoy with me over the Christmas holidays.

Got the Rye XPA bottled ...FG only got to 1.012 but stable for few days before a cold crash

Tasted pretty good , solid bitterness but still smooth .

Todays brew when my water is ready will be yet another attempt at a Coopers Pale

hoping my greater attention to water chemistry and a beefy 1.5 l starter might help me get the banana / bready aroma this time , ready just in time for the red suited home invader !

Well that's been a busy afternoon as I finally got the time to get some brews going. I've only got one full keg and two with about 1/4 in each so had to get on with it today or I may of dried out!

Yorkshire Square went in 1st which I made to the letter. (Calling this one "EEE By Gum")

Keeping with the Yorkshire theme the next was a Clone of Timothy Taylor Landlord' date=' Premium English Bitter. Using: 100g Honey, S-04 English Ale Yeast, Goldings Finishing Hops, 500g Briess Golden Light Dried Malt, 400g Dextrose and as I didn't have a Tin of Muntons Premium Lager I used Coopers International Series European Lager. (Hope that works)

(Naming this one after the Brewery "Keighley Bitter 1858")

And the last Brew for the day was a quick simply one using the Coopers Canadian Blonde Lager, 500g Dextrose, 250g Maltodextrin, 250g Briess Golden Light Dried Malt, and Saflager S-23 yeast

(Naming it "Moose")[/quote']

A week has past so the Fuggles went into the Yorkshire Square today. I need these three Brews to hurry up. I'm down to 1/2 a keg and drying out rapidly!

Pitched another Bo Pils yesterday at about 2pm, this time I got my 25 litres, at 1.0476 OG so 75.5% efficiency. Unfortunately the pitching temp was higher than I wanted at 20C even though the cube had been in the fridge for hours beforehand, but it got down pretty quick so it will be ok. Another batch to get some surplus bottles from which is good with 4 weeks off coming up in about a month's time.

This batch is the first one that I'm trying my new oxy set up on. I pulled out some old spare gas line on Saturday, cleaned it up and attached it to the regulator, and then the diffusion stone to the other end of it. Yesterday of course it got another clean and sanitising with the oxygen on to make sure no liquid got inside the stone itself. Then straight into the bottom of the FV full of wort to bubble away for about a minute or so, and then removed and the yeast pitched and then as per normal into the fridge etc.

There is still no visible action in the brew, but I'm used to that with this yeast and if it is multiplying more due to the oxygen being added then that would increase the lag a bit too. Anyway, I'll take a reading on Thursday or Friday and see where the SG is at. Will be interesting to see if it does ferment faster once it does get going.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hi Guys,

Haven't posted for a while.

Busy at work and other excuses........

Anyway did have time to do a few brews lately.

First brew was an IPA I had thought about for a while.

Was reading an article about American Imperial (double) IPA's and wanted to create one myself.

10L extract brew

I got some Cara red and Medium Crystal in there for flavour and colour.

Using Amarillo Mosaic and vic secret hops

250 gr in total for the boil and a further 150 at flameout

giving an IBU of 135

Using US-05 which is still one of my favs the ABV in the bottle ended it being 8.3%

Been in the bottle for a bit over a month now so should be perfect for drinking at Xmas

Second brew was an Belgium triple

This was an 11 l extract brew

Using Abbey malt and Pale wheat malt for flavour and mouthfeel

Used Hallertauer as my hop and an Abbey yeast.

Third one was a Belgium wheat beer Hoegaarden style where I replaced the Orange peel with lime peel. Did this one last year and it was very tasty

Used Wyeast 3944 for this

Fermented very well and sitting in the bottle with an ABV of 4.6%

Drinking an easy Pale Ale at the moment which I made using a coopers kit with some extra galaxy hops. Very easy drinking.

Cheers all

Good memory Lusty!

Haven't made any Lagunitas clones recently.

Have made a lot of different other IPA's

Experimented a bit with old v new world hops - Waimea, Zythos. Mosaic, Vic Secret etc

Still want to try Citra, but this one always seem to be out of stocksad

Tried to make a Red IPA (more of a rusty brown, but tasted great)

Made a Chocolate IPA using cacao nibs - needed a bit of laying down and turned out very tasty.

Cheers,

Tonny

I've got ~200g of Citra sitting in my freezer at the moment, some of which will be going into a pale ale on Saturday. I got it from Yakima Valley hops. Looking forward to this one because although I've tasted a number of commercial beers that have used Citra, I've never brewed with it myself until now.

It will go into the fermenter after the current pilsner batch that is fermenting is kegged in about 3 weeks time.

...Still want to try Citra' date=' but this one always seem to be out of stock[img']sad[/img]
I've got ~200g of Citra sitting in my freezer at the moment...

You forgot the "Na Nunna na na!!" tongue

Nice next post Kelsey! Rub it in why don't ya?!! lol

FWIW' date=' I think Citra is terrific too, but found it a bit too much on it's own, & I prefer it mixed in with other hop varieties.

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']

lol That's why I usually go through Yakima Valley hops because they generally always have stock of what I want.

I found the same thing with Chinook on its own but I had to brew a batch to find out for myself. It's paired with Centennial in the current APA on tap and that is much better. If I find the same with Citra on its own then it'll be a useful experience as well. happy

Still want to try Citra' date=' but this one always seem to be out of stock[img']sad[/img]

Tonny

Tonny, I picked up 900g from these guys CLICK HERE and it looks like they still have heaps. I live in central QLD and the freight was super fast.

Cheers

Morrie

Thanks Morrie. Ordered citra from them.

Looking forward to trying it out on a single hop citra IPA

Cheers,

Tonny

Thought I'd have a go at conjuring up a pale mild ale today. It's raining outside so might as well make beer! w00t As a low-gravity brew I hoped the mini-mash would be a bit more manageable, with a lighter grain bill but actually it really didn't make much difference. The process is the same regardless.

1.5kg Pale LME

1.4kg Vienna Malt

300g Biscuit Malt

250g Dark Crystal

50g Dark Choc Malt (<--- I don't really like this stuff but I have stock that I need to get rid of and it was handy for colour adjustment!)

50g Caraaroma

20g NZ Fuggles (50min)

10g NZ Goldings (10 min)

Was tempted to buy some S04 but had some Coopers kit yeast lying around so think I will either use that or perhaps more unconventionally... US-05... as I have 9pkts of the stuff in the fridge!

Hopefully it will be a worthy session swill! cool

At the moment I've got 2 FVs on a crash chill at 0ºC and waiting for kegs to arrive in the freight. One is my long favoured house ale a Timothy Taylors Landlord knock off and the other is a variant ESB both fermented using my beloved Yorkshire 1469 yeast.

Another Steam Lager is brewing @15 degrees day 3 using San fransisco yeast

This was a make do recipe to make some lagers the previous kegs have been great

this last cube from a 60 litre batch...28 litre cube topped up to 32 litres last cub so all finished

10 kg Pale malt

2 kg Munich - light

0.5 Carapils

14 g Magnum 60 min

60 g Hallertauer 60 min

Vary simple yet a tasty Golden Lager

Archived