Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2016

Otto Von Blotto

My first IPA (AG)and my first use of Rye.

I have hit all of my targets and the brew is at 1.011 after 8 days giving me the desired 5.2% ABV.

The bitterness level is up where it needs to be and there is a balance between Dry and Bitter cleansing after tasting the SG sample.

It is hop forward at the moment with late Cascade and Mosaic' date=' the malt is coming through and I know that in 5 weeks time the MO will be coming through nicely.

It looks to be heading in the right direction so that is pleasing, too early to say what the Rye is bringing to the party.

Resting for another 8 days and then some Cascade and Mosaic as a Dry Hop.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

Day 14 and I've added 20g of Mosaic and 10g of Cascade, loose. Let that rest for four days then drop the temp to 2 degrees to help knock the rest of that hop matter into the trub.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Black IPA (craft ROTM) I put down yesterday. A nice easy quick brew day, I tasted some of the Diablo IPA malt extract certainly can taste the bitterness in the malt. The brew was showing krausen within 4 hours of pitching the US-05 (love that yeast) so I'm happy with that! Cheers.

Should try fermenting one at 18C and see how it turns out. In any case it sounds like a pretty nice looking beer!

I've given it a rethink, & dropped it down to 18c this morning.

Hopefully it should still turn out a bit cleaner & clearer than if I kept it at 21c, even though it was up there for a few days.

Probably not so bad as it's been stable using the brew fridge, & it should be easier to keep it at 18c overnight than 21, since I don't have any heating.

The bottles from the previous batch will just have to cope in a cupboard, & if stocks run out, I can always drink SWMBO's Blushing Blonde, while I wait for my brews to carb up.

I guess I was just brewing at 21c as I'd gotten used to it, as I'd brewed so long without a brew fridge, & made a few ROTM kits that specified 21c, so got into the habit of brewing there.

The current brew will likely either be the last or second last ale this season, as it's getting cooler, & I'm keen to see what sort of results I'll get with lagers in the brew fridge.

I'll just need to get my head around brewing cooler, D rest, & slightly longer ccing/lagering.

I guess also with lagers, they may take a little longer in primary, but make up for it in carbing up in cooler weather which would stall ales.

G'day Zaphod, things will work out well no doubt, brew fridge's even at the temps mention help with being so stable, but you will notice the ease of consistent brews because of the fridge. wink

Have a Toucan stout plus on the go for next year, all because of one I had the other day, 8 months in the bottle and it was fantastic. love

Toucan Stout Plus.

OS Stout

OS Dark Ale

Briess Golden Light Malt 700 grams

Medium Crystal 250 grams

Choc Malt 200 grams

Roasted Barley 100 grams

White sugar 500 grams

Brown sugar 200 grams

Mangrove Jack British Ale yeast + 2 kit yeast

made to 23 litres and fermented at 20 C

Cheers.

It's probably a bit late for a temperature drop to have any real effect now, as the flavours would have been locked in by the first few days at 21. However, because it's a stable temperature, it should still turn out pretty clean compared to if it was up and down.

Lagers aren't difficult but they do require a little more time and attention than ales. Mine start at 10C which they stay at for about 5-6 days depending on SG, when it gets to around 1.020 I let them free rise to 18C for the D-rest. On day 14 or 15 I drop them down to 0C for 2 weeks of 'lagering'. Certainly having a fridge makes this kind of thing a piece of cake. All batches done this way have turned out really well, nice and crisp and clean and they've all reached FG at or before day 10.

And on that subject, I think I might just go and throw my "Home Grown Lager" into the FV and get it underway now. This was the batch I brewed with my own Hallertau hops grown over the summer. I ended up with about 40g dried flowers which went into the boil with 10 mins to go, so I'm pretty interested to see how this one turns out. biggrin Rather than buy more yeast I just decided to keep using the Urquell lager yeast, which I'd built up in a starter over the last few days. I bought that smack pack about a year ago, and it's still going well. happy

Edit: Recipe is as follows, with a 90 minute boil and Hochkurz mash schedule. I just guessed the AA of the home grown ones too.

4.500 kg Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 1 93.9 %

0.330 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 4.2 %

0.080 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 3 1.7 %

0.010 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 4 0.2 %

12.00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker {4.30 %} - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 5 6.4 IBUs

14.00 g Magnum {12.20 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 18.0 IBUs

40.00 g Hallertau Flowers {3.80 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 5.2 IBUs

Urquell Lager yeast.

OG 1.048, 24 litres, expecting about 1.009 FG for around 5% ABV.

This cube was inadvertently cube hopped as well, found a few hop flowers in the bottom of it when I emptied it out. Probably won't have any real effect on it though. lol

Cheers

Kelsey

• 2 weeks later...

My Red RIPA

After about 36 hours I have visible signs of fermentation with Krausen forming this morning.

I know that many dislike the lag in the BRY-97 and the threat of a misfire altogether, but I continue to have success and its worth the wait.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Will be taking another sample of my lager today, yesterday's sample was 1.009, bang on expected FG. If it's still there then I'll drop it down to 0C or something close to that anyway, for two weeks before kegging and bottling it. Yesterday's sample tasted quite good, so I am looking forward to this one.

I have new seals for my brew fridge too, so I will have to get those installed at some point soon as well... maybe after this one has been kegged.

Nuffin !!

Had the dark ale in longer than expected and not had time to brew anything to fill them back up .....

Upside is I've had more time to get a recipe for the partial mash smurtos golden closer to sorted .

Still plan to do split batch with 2 kit yeast in one and notty in the other

Had the first hydro sample of this smoked bock tonight... whistling

Also - not in the fermenter but in the bottle now - my Bright Ale, which was dry hopped with Amarillo + Ella, tasted absolutely fantastic after primary fermentation. I'm a hard sell on hoppy pale ales usually (which is why it took me so long to get to dry hopping) but this may edge me towards brewing a lot more of the style. It's a bit hazy - I reckon it's mostly chill haze, I've had a hard time getting much cold break - and the grain bill could use some finessing, but as long as those hops hold up in the bottle, I'll be back.

• 2 weeks later...

I just put my red ale into the fermenter, which spent a grand total of just shy of two days in the cube lol as it was brewed on Saturday. I think that's the quickest I've got one brewed and in the FV. The yeast starter had been chilling in the brew fridge since Saturday as well, and it was decanted and pitched cold as per my now normal procedure. Will be interesting to see if there's any action in there when I get home from work again later on.

OG was 1.0425 (post boil reading), and somehow got 22 litres in the FV which bumped the total efficiency up to 79.9%.

I'm fermenting it with Wy1469 West Yorkshire ale yeast this time around, at around 19C. I decided to test the STC probe against my brew thermometer before setting it up, and I'm glad I did because it was reading about 1.5C too low, meaning recent brews have likely been fermented at higher than I intended. However, it goes to show the importance of a stable fermentation temp even if it's a bit high, because they've all tasted perfectly fine. cool

Looking forward to this being on tap in 3-4 weeks time. biggrin

Cheers

Kelsey

My Red RIPA

After about 36 hours I have visible signs of fermentation with Krausen forming this morning.

I know that many dislike the lag in the BRY-97 and the threat of a misfire altogether' date=' but I continue to have success and its worth the wait.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

Day 16 50g of Mosaic Dry Hopped.

I wanted to use up some left over grain, and I decided to get some Rye on board for the first time. I can see why people say its hard to deal with. Even with only 500g I had some flow issues. Brew day was pretty good otherwise except for my fail with the wort chiller. I also did a 90minute boil instead of the planned 60 because I was out a bit over zealous with my sparge for some reason. Anyway, after 7 days in the FV, my SG is 1.014 and it's tasting brilliant. I'm looking forward to bottling this one in another week or so. Oh, and first time brewing with Citra too. Now I just have to make up my mind if I am going to dry hop or not.

Rye Pale Ale

Batch Size: 20.00 l

OG: 1.047 SG

Est FG: 1.014 SG

Est Alcohol by Vol: 4.3 %

Bitterness: 40.9 IBUs

Est Color: 12.4 EBC

Yeast: MJ M44 fermented at 18°C

2.76 kg Maris Otter

0.51 kg Wheat Malt

0.50 kg Rye Malt

0.23 kg Victory Malt

0.21 kg Caramalt Malt

12.00 g Cascade [6.50 %] - @ 20.0 min

12.00 g Citra [13.20 %] - @ 20.0 min

10.00 g Cascade [6.50 %] - @ 10.0 min

10.00 g Citra [13.20 %] - @ 10.0 min

10.00 g Cascade [6.50 %] - @ 5.0 min

10.00 g Citra [13.20 %] - @ 5.0 min

10.00 g Cascade [6.50 %] - @ flameout

10.00 g Citra [13.20 %] - @ flameout

Today is day 7 of my red ale being in the FV so I decided to do a Cascade dry hop. Threw in about 34g or so, split over three of those little tea strainer ball things. The brew smelt a bit interesting but it also had a rather thick layer of yeast on top of it still, so I'm guessing that's why. I'll take an SG reading tomorrow and have a smell and taste, and another on Thursday. If they're the same then it can go in for 8 days of cold crashing before being kegged next Saturday during my Bo pils brew day. Then I'll have three kegs on tap again along with my stout and the lager that's already in there. happy

The brew smelt a bit interesting but it also had a rather thick layer of yeast on top of it still' date=' [/quote']

So you also get that sometimes. No knocking or swirling or waiting makes it drop. When i removed it with a strainer it was quite solid and didnt break up. Thicker than a slime or snot, and a bit of a crust on top. a tan colour. All came out nicely in strainer.

I haven't bothered trying to get rid of if yet, although dropping those hop balls into it did break it up a bit. It pretty much looks like your description there. I'm not really worried about it though, it'll likely drop out during the cold crash anyway, especially after I give it a gentle stir and throw in some isinglass to encourage more yeast to drop. devil

Hi Brewers , I hope I'm on the right thread but I'm thinking of making the the BLACK PILS in a few days since it's cold enough, can any one recommend ? Cheers Quincy

No idea mate, I've never brewed that recipe myself. I think some here have though. In any case, it sounds like a nice beer so I reckon go for it.

I took an SG sample of my red ale today after fitting a new door seal to my brew fridge which hasn't quite gone to plan yet but will sort that out another day... anyway, it read 1.010, so I'd say it's finished. I'll check again on Thursday to be sure. I also decided to check the temperature of the sample against what the STC was saying and it read about 0.3C higher, which I put down mainly to my hand warming the sample up slightly while I carried it up to the kitchen. At least I know it fermented where I wanted it to this time. rolleyes

Cheers

Kelsey

First time time doing an American Style Pale Ale.

2 FVs in the brew fridge 23 litres in each both made with the following:

Black rock Pale Ale can.

Briess pale ale LME 1.5kg

250gm Wheat DME

225gm Light DME

150gm medium crystal malt steeped

15 gm Amamrillo 20 min boil

15 gm Cascade 10 min boil

S-05 pitched at about 20degC

Brew fridge set 19.5degC

A mate at work was giving me stick for only brewing and drinking English ales and German type beers.

So I did some research at Dans and found I actually like Sierra Nevada Pale ale and Adnams Ghost ship.

(I know Adnams Ghost ship is English but I think the style is American?)..

Never thought I would like citrusy hoppy beers, but since starting home brewing I am appreciating a lot more about different flavours etc.

Hope this brew turns out as good as my ESBs dark ale type ones I've been doing..

Anyone use Blackrock before?

Cheers

James

Adnams is English yeah but I think that Ghost Ship beer is a bit of a crossover between English and American pale ales. It's a bloody nice drop though, I enjoy it too. I've never used a Black Rock kit, but the recipe looks like it'll turn out a nice brew, good luck! biggrin

Currently brewing the Leffe Blonde clone

https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/11977/

Only change is that I have used Mangrove Jacks Belgian Abbey dry yeast, made into a starter. After 3 days is smells great and taste is excellent. Still has a lot of sweetness as expected after only 3 days but a very vigorous fermentation. My first time using a yeast starter and had signs of fermentation within 12 hours. Can't wait to taste this beer

Archived