Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2016

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An Ella hopped golden ale. First ever brew I've done with Ella, so I've named it Ella A.

Basically a Smurtos golden ale grain bill (Weyermann pils, Munich I, wheat and caramunich II), with Ella as the sole hop. Bittered to 35 IBU, with a couple of late additions. Dry hopped with more Ella on day 7.

Brown ale was acting a bit strange - krausen only reached 5mm or so and had dropped almost entirely less than 72 hours after pitching. Temp is set at 17 - seems too quick for a relatively low temp? Maybe not. Just checked gravity and it's already down to 1014, estimated FG 1011. That rehydrated S-04 was a silent killer.

Took an SG sample of my Stout today, which was sitting at 1.016 - bang on the predicted FG. It's been in there since last Sunday week (24th April) and started at 1.069, giving me 6.9% ABV in the keg. It tasted really nice too. Big and roasty with a subtle chocolate hint underneath. The keg will sit for a period of time before being tapped, so at least it will get some time to age a bit.

Otto , if your stout hit FG and has the correct colour then you're a step ahead of me .

Notty got the job done even at low temps and tastes very clean but colour is too light for a stout .....turns out I brewed a fantastic porter but its not a stout

Taste tested against a Sierra Nevada porter last night and mines not quite in same league but bloody good

Notty is my new favourite yeast (for my temps )

Marko

I now know what you're talking about with the Nottingham yeast.

Got a porter in the fermenter at the moment and the Nottingham is going nuts. Lots of action in the FV.

O.G was about 1.052. Only been in for 4 days so far.

It's actually really dark. You can barely see through it in the hydrometer test jar so I'd imagine when it's in the glass it will be impossible. On Beersmith it came out over 110 EBC, which is way over the style guidelines but I don't really care. lol It tastes great, that's all that matters.

On the ianh spreadsheet it came in at 90 ebc from memory , would have thought half a kg of chocolate malt (800) would have been enough

In hindsight I would mash it differently next time

I added half of it to the biab and cold steeped the other half ,wort was very dark but now in porter country for sure .

Think fuggles was the right hop as the slightly earthy flavour sits well with the subtle roasty malt backbone

Well, the main thing is you got a nice beer out of it, really. I used 500g roasted barley, 200g each of chocolate (more around 1100 EBC) and medium crystal, and 150g of black patent in mine.

Just took the second FG sample. It is sitting at 1.0158, which is exactly what Beersmith predicted. It's done fermenting, not due to the Beersmith thing, but as this was the same reading I got two days ago. I'll give it another day or two then cold crash it for a week and then keg it next Saturday.

I put a 10lt AG BIAB batch of Pirate Life PA clone down 10 days ago before returning to work. Have dry hop addition in hop ball in the fridge (wrapped in a freezer bag) ready for the missus to drop in the fermenter on Wednesday for the last week of fermentation.

Bottled last month's White Rabbit brown ale clone on my first day home last month, tried one after ten days the night before returning to work and it showed a lot of promise. Looking forward to getting home next week and drinking a few of those in front of the fire if the season had finally changed?!

Will be firing up my new 40lt electronic urn for a Little Creatures PA clone in the second week home, looking forward to getting back to decent sized batches ;-)

My first IPA (AG)and my first use of Rye.

I have hit all of my targets and the brew is at 1.011 after 8 days giving me the desired 5.2% ABV.

The bitterness level is up where it needs to be and there is a balance between Dry and Bitter cleansing after tasting the SG sample.

It is hop forward at the moment with late Cascade and Mosaic, the malt is coming through and I know that in 5 weeks time the MO will be coming through nicely.

It looks to be heading in the right direction so that is pleasing, too early to say what the Rye is bringing to the party.

Resting for another 8 days and then some Cascade and Mosaic as a Dry Hop.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Brown ale's coming good at day 10. I've been crook and honestly haven't even wanted to peer in the fridge let alone taste it, but over the last couple of days it's shed its diacetyl and is starting to taste pretty respectable. Way more happy with the hop character of this one vs. my last. I'm thinking of bottling it in the week - maybe Thursday or Friday night to give myself a bit more of a relaxed brewday. Do you guys often bottle your ales inside the two weeks?

Just put down something a little different, but still kits & bits.

I popped over to my LHBS this morning, planning on maybe getting another Aussie Pale Ale, a Blonde, a Bootmaker, or some other Coopers can, but swung around to trying something different.

Since I'd already been planning on using US 05 it wasn't hard to persuade me to buy a can of WilliamsWarn American Pale Ale - which comes with US 05 under the lid - & not stuck with hot glue.

To go with it, I got a can of Light Malt Extract & Dave threw in a bag of finishing hops.

As it's my first go around with this brew, I'm sticking close to the recipe.

That said, one of the recommendations for a fresher hop taste was to do a hop tea, which I did with my complimentary bag of Cascade.

So it's:

1.7kg can of WilliamsWarn American Pale Ale

1.7kg Light Malt Extract (Black Rock)

15g Cascade hops, steeped.

11g US 05 - rehydrated for approx 20 mins.

Filled FV to 24 litres (23 litre recipe, but I always fill a little more to allow for trub & samples).

Pitched the yeast at approx 23c, having rehydrated it at ambient cold tap temp

(the water here in Sydney is safe enough, & still warm enough for that sort of thing; temp would have been around 20c or thereabouts).

OG is 1042.

The brew is now in the brew fridge, & the temp is showing as 23c, with the controller set for 21c, so it shouldn't suffer too much from temp variation.

This was actually one of my quickest brew days, as I'd bottled yesterday, everything has been washed & sanitized since, & I didn't do a boil or have to muck about with measuring LDM.

I was at the LHBS when it opened at 10am, back home at 10:30, & the brew was done by around 11:15.

Not a bad day's effort.

Brown ale's coming good at day 10. I've been crook and honestly haven't even wanted to peer in the fridge let alone taste it' date=' but over the last couple of days it's shed its diacetyl and is starting to taste pretty respectable. Way more happy with the hop character of this one vs. my last. I'm thinking of bottling it in the week - maybe Thursday or Friday night to give myself a bit more of a relaxed brewday. Do you guys often bottle your ales inside the two weeks? [/quote']

I generally bottle at 2 weeks minimum.

I'll usually give it 10-14 days at brewing temp, then 3 days or more CC at around 5c (don't want to stress my crappy old fridge out too much, & I can spare a few extra days rather than try to force a fridge only fridge to go to 0c).

The quickest I've bottled recently was 13 days, but that was still with 10 days at brew temp, & 3 days cc.

I may vary the time so far as brewing temp & cc, but I don't usually bottle less than 2 weeks from putting the brew down.

Likewise, I try to not open a bottle until it's 2 weeks old, but will give it a few days grace if it's close (usually with pretty ordinary results, as the extra few days & extra time in the fridge prior to opening really helps).

IMHO, you can turn out a beer in less than 2 weeks in the FV, but you can't turn out a really good brew in that time.

Should try fermenting one at 18C and see how it turns out. In any case it sounds like a pretty nice looking beer!

I did consider that, but I've got the recently bottled batch in the brew fridge with it, & I'm impatient to get that carbed up before I run out of my Bootmaker batch, so it'll be 2 weeks at 21c, then I'll remove the bottled beer, & drop it down to 5c for 3-5 days for cc.

Maybe next time, or when I've got a surplus of brew I'll try going down to 18c; I haven't really done that before, as I didn't have proper temp control, so I guess it's as much about what I'm used to as anything else.

I do like getting the aroma from brewing at 21c though.

Overnight temps are starting to get a bit cooler in Sydney now so the brew fridge is the best place to carb up my bottles ATM.

Depending on the weather & what I feel like, next batch may be another of the same, or I may start doing some lagers & pilsners properly, now I've got the brew fridge up & running & have really noticed the difference.

As others have told me for so long, you can turn out a brew, & even a good brew without a brew fridge, but the difference you get using a brew fridge can't be underestimated; you really can turn a brew into a good brew, & a good brew into a great one with a brew fridge.

That's understandable, and also you have to consider that the temp of the fridge air itself is likely 2-3C lower than that of the fermenting batch, at least at the most active stage, so in that scenario, it totally makes sense. While the bottles would probably carbonate at 15-16C, as you noted, it would take longer. I'm not sure the fermentation temp really affects the aroma; I still have plenty of aroma fermenting at 18C.

I had the same problem with overnight temps a few years ago resulting in undercarbed bottles, so I decided to brew lagers through winter. Of course, now it doesn't really matter because I'm kegging, so any surplus bottles I may have from ale batches can just go in the brew fridge while an ale is fermenting. Either that, or I'll just use the 20L cubes for ales and put them in kegs only, and use the 25L cubes for lagers with surplus bottles.

Always a way around a problem in this caper! biggrin

Hi Beeblebrox,

Sounds like a nice, simple, tasty brew. You would get a few more esters fermenting at 21° C, so if that's what you like, then all good. If you wanted to avoid the esters, but don't want to leave the batch in your brew fridge for too long, you could start it off at 18° C for the first say 3 days, then push it up to 21° C. That would help the fermentation finish more quickly, but avoid the esters that mostly come from the initial growth phase.

Cheers,

John

My galaxy / motueka hopped pale ale is now in my little Craft fermenter. It's sitting at 18° C and I've pitched my starter made from some harvested Wyeast 1056 slurry. The starter had a nice krausen going, so I just swirled it all up and pitched the whole thing.

The fermenter is wearing a jacket and sitting on a heat pad with a temp controller set to 18° C to stop it dropping down overnight. The nights are getting colder here in Canberra now!

Edit: My full-size Coopers fermenter still has my stout fermented with the CCA yeast in it. I'm giving it another week to clear and condition a bit before bottling next Wednesday evening.

Yes you do hairy,

You have sinned

Ive got 2 empty kegs coming up tonight, Ive got 42 litres of summertime kolsch to keg and bottle followed by my next batch

Any ideas on a recipe, for the follow up brew using the yeast slurry from the WLP029

Ive got

2kg carapils

15kg vienna malt

9kg pilsner malt

I was thinking 8.5kg pilsner 3.5g vienna 1kg carapills for a second Kolsch @54 litres triple batch,

My galaxy / motueka hopped pale ale is now in my little Craft fermenter. It's sitting at 18° C and I've pitched my starter made from some harvested Wyeast 1056 slurry. The starter had a nice krausen going' date=' so I just swirled it all up and pitched the whole thing.[/quote']

And I came home from work to find a nice thick krausen. The temp has crept up to 19° C so looks like my yeasties are working hard!

For previous batches reusing saved yeast slurry, I had been pitching most of the slurry I saved, but for this batch I tried a different approach. I added 125ml thick slurry to about 600ml of 1.030 - 1.040 wort in my Erlenmeyer, then pitched when it still had a krausen showing. The aim of this is to just get the yeast awake and chomping. See how it turns out!

It's a dark one...

Coopers OS Dark Ale Kit

1.5kg Maltexo (Amber LME)

500g Dark Demerara Sugar

250g Med Crystal Malt

25g Citra @15mins (plus dry hop in due course)

US-05

23liters

OG = 1.054

Day 7

Current temp =21ºC

cool

Archived