Coopers Community

Mosaic Amber Ale

Beerlust

Hi Mark.

...because 62% attenuation does seem quite low. However' date=' there are also a lot of specialty grains in there percentage-wise, so you may not get any or much more.[/quote']

+1

Antsi makes a good point here. Your OG is lower than my listed recipe of 1.046 & my specialty grains are part of a mini-mash as opposed to being steeped. The LME also contains some CaraPils (I think?) bumping your specialty grain influence up even higher increasing body (FG) even further. This wasn't something that jumped out of the page when you posted your recipe, but makes a lot of sense now.

I've consistently ended up at 1.013-1.014 FG with my brewing of the recipe.

I do have one question for you though.

What temperature have you been fermenting the beer at? Hopefully 20°C+. unsure If not, with a sanitised spoon, gently (with no splashing) give the wort a gentle stir to re-suspend the yeast & raise the temp of the wort to approx. 22°C. Give it another 3 days after that & take your gravity reading(s). If you've been fermenting at or above 20°C then disregard this.

It's a reliable yeast so if it's still at 1.016 at that point you can safely assume FG has been reached. Give it the full 2 weeks in the fermenter though. The yeast is supposed to finish slightly sweet, this is why it works particularly well in Amber Ales & EB's.

If you haven't already, have a taste of the beer from your next gravity sample.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your replies Phil & Lusty.

I took another sample last night (which tastes very promising) and it is down to 1014 so I'll give it till Friday and check again.

BTW - it is sitting at around 23°C at the moment, not ideal but still within the recommended temperature range for the yeast :)

I took another sample last night (which tastes very promising) and it is down to 1014 so I'll give it till Friday and check again.

BTW - it is sitting at around 23°C at the moment' date=' not ideal but still within the recommended temperature range for the yeast :)[/quote']

I'm glad your SG has dropped further into a zone I've been used to with this beer. happy I do admit to being a little surprised that it's still dropping after 8 days though. surprised

Don't worry about the current temperature of the brew, as this far along in the primary fermentation cycle I actually believe it to be beneficial to elevate the temperature gradually. I think it helps the yeast deal with the clean up of off flavours more rapidly & easily that are produced during the vigorous part of fermentation that happens early on in the first 3-5 days.

I look at it like a diacetyl rest as is commonly associated with lager yeast fermented brews. wink

Cheers & don't forget the dry hop! tongue

Lusty.

Hey Lusty & Crew.

The amber ale ended up finishing at 1012 so I'm pretty happy with the end result. And I dry hopped with 20g of Mosaic too wink

I am also the proud owner of a keg set up now so this is the first beer I will have on tap. I'm having a shindig on Saturday for my 30th so it will be carbing up for a week at 10 psi, can't wait to enjoy a freshly poured schooner in my own brew pub.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

a>

Congrats on the keg setup Mark. You'll never want to bottle again now! lol

Coincidentally my first brew of this recipe was also my first kegged beer too! surprised

Hopefully that's a good omen for yours!

I'm glad you went to the trouble of dry hopping the beer, & hope the beer turns out well for you.

Ohh,... & Antsi, perhaps time to stop spending $$$ on vessels to hold grain, & time to start spending $$$ on bigger vessels that can hold beer, particularly carbonated beer! tonguewink

Cheers,

Lusty.

First pour from the keg. Might need a little more gas and the fridge was only turned up less than half way but the beer itself is tasty. Great balance between malt & hops. Mine looks quite a bit darker than yours Lusty but we didn't use the exact same recipe after all.

This is my first time using Mosaic - it supposed to be a delicate hop or should it slap you in the face?

<a href=maa.jpg' alt='maa.jpg'>

Lol you keggers are all the same! Happy to keep bottling my small batches ... although I don't mind filling the occasional Tap-a-Draft bottle to have something 'on tap' in the fridge.

I got sick of bottling before I even made the switch to kegging. lol Although when I brew my 25 litre batches I still bottle the leftovers. No point in wasting good beer! If I only get 21-22 litres for some reason then I don't bother with bottles.

First pour from the keg. Might need a little more gas and the fridge was only turned up less than half way but the beer itself is tasty. Great balance between malt & hops. Mine looks quite a bit darker than yours Lusty but we didn't use the exact same recipe after all.

This is my first time using Mosaic - it supposed to be a delicate hop or should it slap you in the face?

Congrats on the beer Mark' date=' the colour looks good! As our resident class A photographer suggests, take a picture of it outside with the sun behind it. [img']wink[/img]

The beer itself as I described in the O.P is not meant to be a hop bomb, it's more balanced & slightly favouring the malt. This recipe uses a mere 45gms (yours used 50gms) of Mosaic hops & the full recipe a mere 65gms in total. The hop presence is deliberately meant to be more delicate in this beer.

My hoppy "slap in the face" beers usually start with upwards of 130gms of hops. How much of a slap in the face you want really depends on the weight of hops you wish to throw at a brew to achieve your desired outcome.

Dropping the Chocolate Malt from 100gms to 75gms will lighten the hue of the beer, & if your beer needs a little more carbonation, upping that by a couple of psi will do that for you. Lately I've been carbing & pouring mine at around 11-12psi.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Looks great, around the same colour as mine turned out. Mine gradually cleared in the fridge and the colour became 'brighter'. I'd assume yours would do the same.

I found the hops balance the malt nicely in terms of bitterness, and give a bit of flavour and a nice aromatic lift. Just a well-rounded, easy drinking and tasty beer with a slight hop-forward bent.

Cheers,

John

• 1 month later...

Hey Gang

I'm planning a brew day tomorrow and I am going to brew a Mosaic Amber ale as close to Lusty's original recipe as I can with the ingredients I have on hand. It will be AG of course.

The main thing I'm planning to do that make this an unusual brew process is I am going to brew 10 gallons of wort and then split the batch at boil time. I am going the do the hop additions for the MAA with the WLP013 London ale strain in one half and a completely different hop schedule and different yeast (probably US-05). The hops I have in mind are Waimea, Citra, Nugget or perhaps a couple of others that I have to use up.

OR

I might make up another 1.5litres of WLP013 and make an English style Pale ale out of it with some combination of Target, Fuggles and/or EKG. Either way I think I could come up with something really nice using Lusty's Malt bill

I'll be over at Beersmith working on the details this evening.

Any comments or suggestion are welcome.

Hi Chad. smile

Just on the Waimea, did you recently brew a pale ale with this hop? unsure If so, have you had a chance to sample it yet? Any thoughts?

Either way I think I could come up with something really nice...

+1

The split yeast brews would be a good one' date=' as you'll get to see both sides of the spectrum on the same malt bill using a British yeast & a US yeast. One leaning toward malt, one towards cleaner hop encouraging flavours.

If the WLP013 is the same as the Wyeast 1028 then I can vouch for that as being a great yeast. A friend of a friend uses it as his house strain. That same bloke won a category in the Australian Homebrewing competition a few years back & I have been lucky enough to sample quite a number of his beers using this strain. [img']cool[/img]

I would have liked to read a few of the other guys views on this one, but you didn't really leave them much of a window given the time of year. pinchedtongue

Good luck with the brew(s). wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

I just put a Mosaic Amber in the fermenter that I brewed a couple days ago.

I used Hairy's original AG recipe and subbed in somethings I already had (had cracked Pilsner malt that needed using).

3.5kg - Pilsner malt

0.5kg - Munich I

0.3kg Maris Otter

0.3kg - Medium Crystal malt

0.25kg - Caraamber malt

15g Centennial (AA 10%) @ 60 minutes

5g Mosaic (12.5%) @ 10 minutes

20g Mosaic @ Whirlpool

25g Mosaic - dry hop

Mash @ 66C

OG - 1050

IBU - 30

Mangrove Jacks British Ale yeast

Tastes lovely out of the hydro and I got 19L at 1050, will need a bit more then that so might add a couple litres of water to allow for trub and a full keg.

• 4 weeks later...

Just checking, is this ...

Briess CBW Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg (Sorry Coopers. Make your LME more widely available!)

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Munich Malt grain 500gms

Medium Crystal grain 350gms

Chocolate Malt grain (1200) 100gms

CaraHell 200gms

Mashed/steeped @ 68°C for 60-75mins

5 litre hop boil:

Centennial 20gms @ 60mins

Mosaic 10gms @ 20mins

Mosaic 5gms @ 10mins

Mosaic 10gms @ flameout (30min post boil steep)

Mosaic 20gms dry hopped after 4-5 days.

Wyeast London Ale III 1318 fermented @ 20°C

Brewed to 21 litres

EBC = approx. 34

Bottled ABV = approx. 4.6%

IBU = approx. 31.8

... still the preferred recipe?

I'm looking at doing one soon, which means there'll be a video of course so I want to do it justice.

Also, I'm curious about the mash and 5L boil. Do you do these concurrently Beerlust? What is the volume of your mash? Do you boil with the DME? Do you need to actively bring the temperature down afterwards or does chilled water do the trick?

Hi Ruddy.

Yes, the opening post recipe is the one to follow.

I still follow the practices outlined in the "Beerlust brewday" thread you have linked to, but add the malt extracts into the FV much closer to the time I'm about to add the cooled grain based wort. Mainly to avoid longish periods with the malt extracts sitting in the FV where they are vulnerable to bacteria & infection.

I'm looking at doing one soon' date=' which means there'll be a video of course so I want to do it justice.[/quote']

Are you deliberately wanting to do a partial mash for the video? unsure If not, I'd just do a full AG version subbing my extract quantities for suitable grain alternatives & then like Hairy, claim the recipe as your own! lol

John did a no-chill version, so he & the other no-chillers could certainly help with adjusting the hop schedule to suit your brewing method.

What is the volume of your mash?
3 times the weight of grains in water + ½ a litre.

Do you boil with the DME?

I only combine amounts of DME with the grain wort to achieve a 1.040 SG for the beginning of the boil. I can't remember if it is needed for this brew or not. IanH's spreadsheet would give the answer to that.

Do you need to actively bring the temperature down afterwards or does chilled water do the trick?

I always cool the boil wort in the sink for 30mins' date=' changing the water around it at 15mins.

Good luck with the brew when you get around to it. I hope you enjoy the beer. [img']smile[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

Are you deliberately wanting to do a partial mash for the video? unsure If not' date=' I'd just do a full AG version subbing my extract quantities for suitable grain alternatives & then like Hairy, claim the recipe as your own! [img']lol[/img]

Deliberate partial for the sake of doing a partial video, and yeah I'll try and give credit for this a bit better than I did with Chad's Big Island IPA. I've got something special planned for the IPA tasting video to make up for that though wink

Hmmm, if I sub the centennial for a different bittering hop does that mean I can claim it as my own? tongue

Anyway, having not worked out a stout recipe yet it looks like this one's going to be up next. I think I might use a different yeast as well though since I've never tried liquid before and aren't really up with doing a starter. Nottingham will do smile Or should I go with Windsor ... hmmm

I wonder whether Amanda will see the order come through and recognise the recipe ...

Hi Ruddy.

...I think I might use a different yeast as well though since I've never tried liquid before and aren't really up with doing a starter.

The OG on this beer recipe is not high. There is no need for a starter.

Just follow the 'Smack Pack' instructions to release the nutrient' date=' allow sufficient time for the pouch to inflate, & then simply pour the liquid yeast directly into your awaiting brew wort.

Cheers & good luck with the brew,

Lusty.[/size']

• 2 weeks later...
Got any giant photos of yourself Beerlust?

Also' date=' as you know I ended up using magnum to bitter as I didn't have any centennial. Are you sure it will make all that much difference though? Aren't most other hop characteristics gone after that length of time?[/quote']

You are asking for a world of hurt with all of those questions tongue

Also' date=' as you know I ended up using magnum to bitter as I didn't have any centennial. Are you sure it will make all that much difference though? Aren't most other hop characteristics gone after that length of time?[/quote']

You are asking for a world of hurt with all of those questions tongue

lol

On every wall in the house' date=' why? [img']rolleyes[/img] tongue

The key word in your sentence is "most". Most, but certainly not all. What remains in the beer from a long boil addition varies from hop to hop, but there are always notable residual flavour compounds of some degree. If there was nothing remaining on that level, we'd just use any hop for bittering any style of beer. It's what I've been trying to encourage with you Tom Selleck boys. tongue

The Amber Ale style is a malt driven style anyways, so the Magnum will do fine. It'll just be a little different to the Centennial based version.

All things going well with your brewing of it, expect a nice beer, I reckon you'll enjoy at the end of it. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived