Coopers Community

Mosaic Amber Ale

Beerlust

Hi guys.

On the back of a few of our fellow forum members praise of the hop, I recently bought a small 90gm bag of Mosaic hops to see what all the fuss is about surrounding the flavours & aromas of this relatively new release hop.

Most of what I have read for recipes is either an IPA, or APA. I want to split the 90gms over two brews. One brew to test & understand the flavours of the hop, & the next to mix it with other hops in another brew, as I like to do.

So given I only want to use 45gms, what to brew?

I thought an Amber Ale would go nicely with this particular hop as the primary flavour & aroma hop, alongside a nice malty backbone. I've cheated a little by using a nice citrusy hop for my bittering addition, but have used Mosaic exclusively for each addition beyond that. I'm yet to see a commercial amber ale using this hop so let's roll the dice! Given how you can seemingly get away with lighter ABV levels with Amber Ales, I reckon this recipe could work very well.

Briess CBW Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg (Sorry Coopers. Make your LME more widely available!)

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Munich Malt grain 500gms

Medium Crystal grain 350gms

Chocolate Malt grain (600) 100gms

CaraHell 200gms

Mashed/steeped @ 68°C for 60-75mins

5 litre hop boil:

Centennial 20gms @ 60mins

Mosaic 10gms @ 20mins

Mosaic 5gms @ 10mins

Mosaic 10gms @ flameout (30min post boil steep)

Mosaic 20gms dry hopped after 4-5 days.

Wyeast London Ale III 1318 fermented @ 20°C

Brewed to 21 litres

EBC = approx. 34

Bottled ABV = approx. 4.6%

IBU = approx. 31.8

For those that have tasted a nice Amber Ale, you will know that it is not meant to be a hop bomb. If anything, the beer is more malt dominated (on the sweeter side), with a nice hop aroma & a mild hop flavour presence.

I'm hoping I've got the balance right for my first attempt at my own designed recipe Amber Ale (insert unsure icon).

I'm hinging my bets that the Mosaic hop will produce something very approachable in this style. Bold claims I know, considering I haven't even tasted a beer flavoured with this hop yet! Hahaha! :P

Throwing caution to the wind, & brewing the unknown is one of the main things I love about home brewing. :)

Some feedback on my recipe proposal would be appreciated. :)

Cheers,

Anthony.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Philbo. smile

Where have you been hiding lately?

You don't need to worry about overdoing the Mosaic Lusty.

It has a very distinct fruity flavour' date=' but it seems to present a more balanced beer even with large additions than your Citra or Nelson.

I hope you like it.[/quote']

I trust your observations about almost everything in brewing, & investigate aspects of what you state on this forum quite often. smile

I got that same feeling about the hop from what I'd read, & that has been plenty. That's why I decided to try a lower level hopping recipe with it, that should produce a nice beer straight off the bat (hopefully).

BTW, I've got a beer I want to give you to sample. If you're interested, pop in on Saturday & I'll give you a bottle of this Cascadian Dark Ale (I recently brewed) to take home & sample.

I reckon it will change your opinion of the style & flavour associated with it. wink

Let me know tomoz if you're gonna call in, else I won't bother bringin' the sample into work.

It would be cool to see & talk with you again. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Lusty.

The room where my desktop PC is sits at about 36c currently. As a 'husky' gentleman, I don't deal with the heat very well, so all of my web browsing is now done on my tablet. Posting and logging in is a bit more of a pain than usual, so I'm on a bit less.

I'm in town for breakfast tomorrow morning, and as soon as I get home I want to start brewing. Are you working on Sunday? I reckon you'd like an APA I have on hand at the moment. I didn't have anything pale when we last met, so it would be nice to hear your feedback on a beer which is brewed in the style you prefer, rather than ESBs and porters.

Let me know.

Hi Philbo. smile

Hey Lusty.

The room where my desktop PC is sits at about 36c currently. As a 'husky' gentleman' date=' I don't deal with the heat very well, so all of my web browsing is now done on my tablet. Posting and logging in is a bit more of a pain than usual, so I'm on a bit less.[/quote']

Well that explains the slight absence. wink

I'm in town for breakfast tomorrow morning' date=' and as soon as I get home I want to start brewing. Are you working on Sunday?[/quote']

Unfortunately not. sad The window for when best to drink this CascDA hasn't closed just yet, but I do feel its best juncture for drinking it while in balance is limited to maybe 3-4 weeks before the hop influence drops away.

I reckon you'd like an APA I have on hand at the moment. I didn't have anything pale when we last met' date=' so it would be nice to hear your feedback on a beer which is brewed in the style you prefer, rather than ESBs and porters.[/quote']

I actually know what this brew is having followed your posts on it. I have (almost) silently waited for you to hopefully offer up a sample for me to try. biggrin

Interesting situation we both have right now. You have a beer in the style I reckon I'll love, & I reckon I have beer in a style I reckon you'll love. Hehehe! (insert some sort of banter icon!)

Seriously, if I have to meet you somewhere outside my place of work for a swap, I'm cool with that. wink

Just give me a time/place etc. that we can both work with.

Cheers Philbo,

Anthony.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I finally got off my backside & put this brew down. I finished up a little while ago. I've been saving hard for my kegging system & outdoor bar, so the brewing had to take a back seat for a while. The ridiculous constant 40°C+ temperatures here in Adelaide for a period through the last month or so have certainly aided in my choice not to brew & save money, even considering I have a brew fridge.

Since this will be the first brew I'll be kegging, I upped the Medium Crystal to 350gms, & had a late change of heart about the bitterness level I wanted in the beer, so upped the Centennial to 20gms, which brings the IBU level up about 5 points from the level I posted for the recipe.

My OG was a little down on what I was expecting (Am I losing my touch?? unsure) but that's OK.

It is my first use of Mosaic hops, & if I had to list one aroma that stuck out from any other, I would say "piney", with hints of citrus. Not surprising as the variety is a daughter of Simcoe. wink

Also my first use of the Wyeast 1318 London Ale III, so I'll be interested to see what it throws. I also plan to do my first harvest of a yeast from trub through the rinsing process after this brew has fermented out & been transfered to the keg.

All in all this brew will be very interesting from start to finish.......& beyond. biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi guys.

The 1318 yeast has begun well. Inside 12 hours it is up & going. This is something I always like to see with my brews. smile

For my dry hop I'll be doing something a little different. I'll add 10gms @ 4-5 days after the ferment dies down, then remove them after 2-3 days & replace them with another 10gms for the final 2-3 days before kegging/bottling the beer.

I may not see the full benefit of following this method given the low level of dry hops I am using in this brew, but then again I just might. unsure

This double dry hopping procedure is something I plan to continue doing with my future brews.

Cheers,

Anthony.

For my dry hop I'll be doing something a little different. I'll add 10gms @ 4-5 days after the ferment dies down' date=' then remove them after 2-3 days & replace them with another 10gms for the final 2-3 days before kegging/bottling the beer...[/quote']

Would this present an increased risk of contamination by admitting air into the FV when fermentation is either very slow or all but stopped?

Nice idea though.

Archived