Coopers Community

Mosaic Amber Ale

Beerlust

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why?

For when I make a tasting video. Need something to throw flowers (or darts) at.

lol

I figured it might end up in a video & the dartboard scenario had crossed my mind already! biggrin

Flowers though? rolleyes ...I much prefer chocolate. tongue

Anyways...how's the ferment going Ruddy?

Lusty.

A little earlier today I went & picked up the bulk of the ingredients required for my Amber Ale recipe for a brew day planned mid next week. I made a couple of small changes that I wanted to try with this version.

I've grabbed some midnight wheat in place of the chocolate malt to see if that makes any noticeable difference. I also got to thinking about if I couldn't get hold of the 1318 liquid yeast & was forced to use a dry yeast, what would I use? The S-04 would probably work well, but I had an opportunity here to try a new yeast, so I thought I would try the newly released Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell Ale yeast, as it should suit a beer like this.

I've been missing this beer lately, so I'm looking forward to getting some in a keg again. happy

I'll update on how I thought the yeast went down the track.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 2 weeks later...

So I bottled this the other day. Did I mention that I ended up dry hopping with 23g instead of 20 because who keeps 3g of leftover hops? Seriously!

Anyway, I think that made it too hoppy. D'oh! No big though - still seemed pretty good, just a bit hoppier than an amber should be. My total bad.

Wouldn't have thought 3 grams extra in a dry hop would make that much difference in 20 odd litres of beer. I suspect something earlier in the brewing process may be more likely responsible for that.

I blame the Magnum! tonguelol

It's early days Ruddy' date=' give the beer a chance to settle. It's primarily a malt driven beer, & will balance out & improve with a little aging. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

Centennial V Magnum

Centennial for bittering all the way...

Magnum would change the outcome a lot as they are vary different in the end product,

As far as being a hero and dry hopping 23 litres with 25g plus... that's a personal choice

25g centennial dry hop will be awesome...

I just go flame out for a red ale

It's early days Ruddy' date=' give the beer a chance to settle. It's primarily a malt driven beer, & will balance out & improve with a little aging. [img']wink[/img]

I can second this advice KR. When I made a version of Lusty's Mosaic amber ale it had a tinge too much hop flavour compared with what I thought would taste 'perfectly balanced to my taste buds'. After 2 or 3 weeks in the bottle it mellowed a little and was perfect.

Cheers,

John

If dry hopping Mosaic hops ide keep her in small dosses...15-25g

Its a full on hop no point being a hero and hopping 25+ of Mosaic ive learnt that lesson...

Anyway I need to brew this recipie... I sounds a cracker its still on my to do list!

Nothing wrong with dry hopping with 25g or more. Most of my beers are dry hopped with at least 35g otherwise I don't notice them very much. It all comes down to personal taste in the end. Just because a hop is full on doesn't mean it can't be used in that way if the person brewing it feels that it needs to be for the beer to turn out as they want it to.

Mosaic is quite a powerful & aromatic hop. I guess Waylon is putting it in a similar basket to how many view Nelson Sauvin. A lot of brewers suggest to temper your use of that hop too, so I understand where he is coming from.

Tolerance levels vary between individuals, so it really comes down to what suits the individual.

I have a co-brewer friend on another forum who recently brewed a SMASH Maris Otter & Nelson Sauvin brew using 200gms of the hop in the boil. w00t He loves it! love

I really like Nelson Sauvin, but doubt I could drink that beer!

Cheers,

Lusty.

I can second this advice KR. When I made a version of Lusty's Mosaic amber ale it had a tinge too much hop flavour compared with what I thought would taste 'perfectly balanced to my taste buds'. After 2 or 3 weeks in the bottle it mellowed a little and was perfect.

Perhaps just a case of "snap" then

Yes lusty I am...

Mosaic is a nice hop that needs to be hopped with respect... Nelson too! spot on Lusty

Dry hopping some beers 50g with hops like fuggles, kent goldings @ cascade bring it on

I find centennial the best all round hop for a smash hop

Nelson citra galaxy dry hop combo 15g each is LOVELY plenty of punch...

Cheers BRO

Nelson citra galaxy dry hop combo 15g each is LOVELY plenty of punch...

Since the effect is dependent on batch size I find it's more useful to talk in g/l when discussing dry hops.

That's a bit different then, because you're talking about 45g of fairly potent hops. I thought you were talking about only 15g of Mosaic in say a 23 litre batch. You'd definitely get something from that, but it would have to be a fairly mild effect.

Hopping rates are very style- (and palate-) dependent and I find the effect to be logarithmic rather than linear. The IPA I'm drinking at the moment had a 2.5g/l dry hop of Mosaic which gives a really nice punch but not over the top. If I had doubled this to 5g/l I wouldn't expect it to whack me over the head twice as much.

But that's an IPA and the 5g/l (or 2.5g/l for that matter) rate would be out of place in Lusty's amber ale. For that I did a 1g/l Mosaic dry hop which turned out very nicely.

Well in a rather exertion-addled state last night I tried this one thinking it was one of my pales. I thought "hmm, this pale's gone a bit weird" and that's about all.

Today I realised that it was actually an amber (the box was still labelled pale and SWMBO grabbed it for me), so I'm trying another now smile Good times smile

A week later and I've had a few of these now. I probably shouldn't be drinking them so soon, but it's very sessionable and, as is the nature of mini-mash brews, it has a bit of that "freshness" you get from an AG beer which is missing from extract recipes.

Good times.

A week later and I've had a few of these now. I probably shouldn't be drinking them so soon' date=' but it's very sessionable and, as is the nature of mini-mash brews, it has a bit of that "freshness" you get from an AG beer which is missing from extract recipes.

[/quote']

I'm glad you're enjoying the beer. happy

I've just placed my latest batch in for a couple of days of CC'ing before I keg it Wednesday. I'm predicting a happy Easter this year, possibly even a little merry! biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently planning my next batch of beers in advance so I can hopefully order in bulk and save a little. One of those beers will be the legendary Lusty's Mosaic Amber Ale. I've put together what I hope will be a satisfactory AG take on it and would like a little feedback on it if anyone has the time… it goes a little something like this :

Recipe: Mosaic Amber Ale

Brewer: Ken

Asst Brewer:

Style: American Amber Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

————————–

Boil Size: 32.04 l

Post Boil Volume: 27.04 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l

Bottling Volume: 24.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.052 SG

Estimated Color: 34.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 24.0 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 72.8 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:

————

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.15 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 69.2 %

1.13 kg Munich 10L (Briess) (19.7 EBC) Grain 2 18.9 %

0.56 kg Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (118.2 EBC) Grain 3 9.4 %

0.15 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 4 2.5 %

18.00 g Centennial - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 18.8 IBUs

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -

7.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) - Boil 10.0 m Hop 7 3.3 IBUs

25.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) - Steep/Whirl Hop 8 1.9 IBUs

1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124. Yeast 9 -

20.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) - Dry Hop 5.0 Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: 01 - Kens BIAB 66c

Total Grain Weight: 6.00 kg

—————————-

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time

Mash In Add 34.21 l of water at 68.9 C 66.0 C 90 min

Thoughts?

Hi Xenon. smile

As a stand alone recipe, it looks like it will produce a nice drop. If however you are aiming to reproduce a full AG version of my Amber Ale recipe, be aware you have shifted the balances notably in some areas in your recipe listing.

• Ferment volume increased from 21 litres to 25 litres
  • Original Gravity increased from approx. 1.046 to 1.052.
  • IBU reduced from approx. 32 down to 24.
  • Multiple grain weights increases.

I'm not sure if you've used the Wyeast 1318 before, but it does finish a little on the sweet side. If you don't have enough bitterness to compensate for the sweeter flavour in the beer it could come across a little sickly. The chocolate malt is mainly there to help throw the amber hue, so be careful about increasing it, as it will become a more dominant flavour & deepen the colour.

I'm not sure how & when you add your steep/whirpool additions, but your calculator seemed to throw up a low IBU number compared with some of Ben 10's figures, so I'm not really sure on that one either. unsure

A couple of the other boys have done an AG version of their own, so hopefully they'll chime in with some thoughts.

Good luck with whatever you end up putting down. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived