Coopers Community

Mosaic Amber Ale

Beerlust

Hey Zeddy

A little unsure what you are looking for here' date=' however you may be seeking to understand brewing with Concentrate (kits), Extract (Briess and Coopers Malts), All Grain (base malts) and partial mash (extract and grains). If the recipe of Lusty's that you are referring to is an Extract recipe then there will not be a Coopers beer kit involved. In this case Lusty uses Briess malt as the replacement for the Coopers kit along with a bittering addition of hops. Basically the concentrate can (Coopers Lager) is a bittered malt extract, you can get the same effect by boiling hops say for say 60 minutes in around 10 litres of water and malt extract.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

Many thanks Scottie, I guess I was confused, as the Cooper's Midnight Mosaic seems (?) to utilize a can of Lager, as well as boiling hops, vis (sorry I see the link above doesn't work):

Ingredients:

1.7kg Original Series Lager Brew Can

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract

500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

100g Midnight Wheat grain

25g Mosaic hop pellets

25g Amarillo hop pellets

25g Centennial hop pellets

3 x 7g Coopers Dry Ale yeast (or American Ale yeast of your choice)

1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops

Colour: Copper

Body: Heavy

Bitterness: Med/High

Approx. Alcohol Level: 5.7% ABV

Naturally Carbonated: Natural

Step 1: Mix

The day before: Line a pot (at least 4 litres) with a mesh cleaning cloth (pulled straight fromt he pack), then add the cracked grain and 2 litres of cold water.

Fit the lid and sit in the fridge for 24 hours.

Remove from the fridge then gather up the corners of the mesh cloth and lift, allowing the liquid to drain from the grain back into the pot.

Transfer the liquid to a good sized pot (around 8 litres) and bring to the boil with a further 2 litres of water and the 500g of Light Dry Malt.

Once at the boil, add the Amarillo Hop pellets and boil for 10 mins.

Then add 25g of Mosaic Hops and remove from the heat to let steep for a further 10 mins.

Set the pot in a cold/ice water bath to cool then strain into a fermenting vessel (FV)

Add the Lager Brew can and Amber Malt Extract to the FV, stir to dissolve then top up with cool water to the 20 litre mark and stir thoroughly.

Check the brew temperature and top up to the 23 litre mark with warm or cold water (refridgerated if necessary) to get as close as possible to 21C.

Sprinkle all three sachets of dry yeast, and fit the lid and try to ferment at 18C.

On day 4 or after the foam has subsided, add the Centennial Hops (they may be added direct to the brew or wrapped in a mesh cleaning cloth, pulled straight from the wrapper).

But now I see Lusty's process has much more Hops boiling/prep, which as you say I guess emulates (improves on) the Lager can.

So then, I think Lusty's 'Briess CBW Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg' = 'Coopers Light Malt Extract (1.5kg)' correct?

Thanks again for your patience!

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So then' date=' I think Lusty's ‘Briess CBW Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg’ = ‘Coopers Light Malt Extract (1.5kg)’ correct?[/quote']

The Pilsen malt is a lighter colour than the Coopers light malt but the recipe will be fine using the Coopers malt.

So then' date=' I think Lusty's ‘Briess CBW Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg’ = ‘Coopers Light Malt Extract (1.5kg)’ correct?[/quote']

The Pilsen malt is a lighter colour than the Coopers light malt but the recipe will be fine using the Coopers malt.

Tx muchly Hairy

Hi Zeddy.

I really have very little to add on top of Scottie's & Hairy's comments & advice to you. They've answered everything perfectly (IMHO). cool (thanks guys! smile)

I would say I am in a rather unique position at this point as I believe I'm the only one who has brewed & drank both recipes. I can say I enjoy both. joyful

Good luck with your next version of it!

And I am not sure whether the Coopers recipe is based on Lusty's or whether Lusty just likes to mention that at every possible moment he can tongue

It appears I no longer need to speak of this..coincidence? as I now have Scottie & yourself to do this for me! tongue

Which came first' date=' the chicken or the egg theory springs to mind here.

The truth is out there.... [img']wink[/img]

Lusty.

Just pulled my first glass Mosaic Amber from the keg. Colour is spot on for an Amber with a nice and healthy off white head. The aroma is fruity reminiscent of other hoppy aromas but not really the same as any other. On the palate it is hops up front, it is fruity but I wouldn't describe as Citrus like so many other American hops. It is more like berry, just a hint before the maltiness takes over. A little more bitterness than an Amber, but that's what I intended I find commercially available Amber Ales e.g. JSAA too sweet. This is silky smooth without being sweet.

All in all I'm happy with the result and happy to list the final recipe:

Mosaic Amber Ale AG - 21 litres

2.25 kg Pilsner Joe White (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 52.3 %

0.75 kg Ale Golden Promise (6 EBC) Grain 2 17.4 %

0.35 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 3 8.1 %

0.35 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 4 8.1 %

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC) Grain 5 5.8 %

0.25 kg Victory Malt (49.3 EBC) Grain 6 5.8 %

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 7 2.3 %

15.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 23.8 IBUs

10.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 9.1 IBUs

10.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 3.0 IBUs

10.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12

OG - 1.045

FG - 1.012

Eff - 73%

FV 2 weeks & Kegged 4.6 weeks

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[/Valley Brewi]

• 2 weeks later...

I cracked open my Mosaic Amber Ale after two weeks in the bottle. It still needs more carbonation but it is a great beer love

Lusty, it must have been the little tweaks I made tongue

But in all seriousness (sometimes I can be serious), it was a good base to start with. I think the biscuit malt was a nice touch though.

Congrats on the brew Hairy!

I cracked open my Mosaic Amber Ale after two weeks in the bottle. It still needs more carbonation but it is a great beer love

Lusty' date=' it must have been the little tweaks I made [img']tongue[/img]

Absolutely! biggrin

But in all seriousness (sometimes I can be serious)' date=' it was a good base to start with. I think the biscuit malt was a nice touch though.[/quote']

I used some victory malt on the Wyeast 1728 version & that biscuity sort of character worked nicely. That 1728 is a whole different animal to the 1318 though. devil

I'm quite chuffed that both you & Scottie are enjoying the beer from that hop & malt mix! cooljoyful

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I finally came up with for a recipe. I hope it's close enough for you, Lusty.

It'll be a No-chill brew so the IBU's will be a bit higher than posted.

Recipe: Mosaic Amber Ale

Brewer: Canadian EhL! & Lusty

Asst Brewer:

Style: American Amber Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 49.93 l

Post Boil Volume: 43.68 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 40.00 l

Bottling Volume: 38.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.052 SG

Estimated Color: 29.1 EBC

Estimated IBU: 21.9 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 89.3 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

5.50 kg Pale Malt, 2 row (Gambrinus) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 69.2 %

1.50 kg Munich Light 10L (Gambrinus) (21.7 EBC) Grain 2 18.9 %

0.75 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 3 9.4 %

0.20 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 4 2.5 %

30.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 19.1 IBUs

10.00 g Mosaic [12.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 2.8 IBUs

40.00 g Mosaic [12.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028) [35.4 Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body

Total Grain Weight: 7.95 kg

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time

Mash In Add 23.73 l of water at 74.8 C 68.9 C 45 min

Mash Out Add 8.29 l of water at 97.1 C 75.6 C 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 28.87 l water at 75.6 C

This is what I finally came up with for a recipe. I hope it's close enough for you' date=' Lusty.

It'll be a No-chill brew so the IBU's will be a bit higher than posted.[/quote']

You understand the no-chill IBU adding way better than I do, so if your flameout addition adds approx. 10 IBU, then hop-wise hopefully it should present somewhere in the same ballpark. unsure

The WLP028, do you reckon that is more like the Wyeast 1728 or the Wyeast 1318?

Brewer: Canadian EhL! & Lusty

You gotta love this! They all change my recipe' date=' but maintain some sort of link to me, so that if something goes wrong, I am somehow to blame! Cracks me up! [img']tongue[/img] lol

All that aside, it sounds like a very tasty drop to me Chad! cool

Good luck with the brew, & don't be shy about posting a pic of it in the glass if it turns out well. wink

P.S. Any chance of a pic of your version Hairy?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Hairy. smile

I apologise that the quality isn't as good as Ben10's photos. The iPad has a terrible camera.

The picture is a little 'grainy' but hey' date=' you are an All-Grain brewer! [img']wink[/img]

In some truth, I would suggest the iPhone's auto-focus couldn't quite adjust to the unsteadiness in Hairy's right hand that took the picture, given the 'DT' factor & all. tongue

Full truth, your brew is a little darker than my extract version. But who cares, as long as it tastes good! biggrin

Cheers & thanks for posting the pic Hairy. smile

Lusty.

Hi Hairy. smile
I apologise that the quality isn't as good as Ben10's photos. The iPad has a terrible camera.

The picture is a little 'grainy' but hey' date=' you are an All-Grain brewer! [img']wink[/img]

In some truth, I would suggest the iPhone's auto-focus couldn't quite adjust to the unsteadiness in Hairy's right hand that took the picture, given the 'DT' factor & all. tongue

Full truth, your brew is a little darker than my extract version. But who cares, as long as it tastes good! biggrin

Cheers & thanks for posting the pic Hairy. smile

Lusty.

I don't have an iPhone, I have an old Nokia that takes calls and sends messages. It is Smart enough for me. The iPhone had a pretty good camera but the iPad is shit.

But as P2 says, I'm a tool.

The beer is a little dark but I think it is still in the amber territory. It isn't quite as dark as a brown ale. It tastes nice and that is what counts wink

So it is obviously different to Lusty's and he can no longer take credit for it. Bragging rights are formally withdrawn rightful

Let's have a game of Baseball Brewing.

Standing at the plate before the pitch...

Don't disclaim responsibility rightful

It is still similar enough to blame you if it tastes like crap biggrin

...safe at second base...

Brew was done today. There was a slight change to the recipe due to LHBS running out of pale chocolate malt.

So 100g pale Choc was subbed with 50g Chocolate malt and 50g Brown malt.

I have a very broad view of the term ‘similar’.

You are still on the hook Lusty? biggrin

...rounding third base...

Lusty' date=' it must have been the little tweaks I made [img']tongue[/img]

....& the inevitable statement once safely on home plate...

So it is obviously different to Lusty's and he can no longer take credit for it. Bragging rights are formally withdrawn rightful

I love it! lolbiggrin

Cheers' date='

Lusty.

[/size']

Ha ha lol. I am a massive prick. At least the beer is nice.

Lusty' date=' hopefully one day you will make first base [img']innocent[/img]

lol

I'm usually pretty good making it to first base......when I can find it! innocent

Good on ya Hairy!

Cheers,

Lusty.

An update on my Mosaic Amber.

It hasn't really risen to the heights of Lusty's original extract (based on Anthony's critique of his own beer). Granted there are many variables that affect our ability to duplicate a fellow home brewers recipe, damn as home brewers we sometimes struggle to duplicate our own recipes. Thus converting from extract to all grain is full of challenges.

My main issue is the sweetness from the malts, a combination of the speciality malt mashing the base malts at 69 degrees. The sweetness is evident even though I upped the 60 minute hop addition to ensure a satisfactory bitterness. It's been kegged for 10 weeks and tapped for five, a pleasant and easily noticeable hop aroma still presides over the brew, however the taste as I said is dominated by the malt. I used Golden Promise as my Ale Malt and as it is sweeter than most other Ale Malts it is probably contributing to the sweet result.

If there is one recipe that I am keen perfect then this one is it, therefore I will be attempting another version later in the year, around June. There are plenty of options so the second iteration most likely will need improving as well.

Options are:

* Keep the original recipe and mash at 65 degrees.

* Reduce the speciality malts to 250g in total and keep the base malt grain bill as is and mash at 65

* Replace the Golden Promise with Joe White Ale Malt (I'm not a big user of Ale Malt preferring GP & MO).

* Replace the US05 with the yeast that Lusty used in his two recipes English and Scottish

* Replace the Chinook with Centennial for the bittering addition.

Overall the recipe has potential to produce that level of Yum that Lusty has talked up around this brew, so rather than abandon the concept I will continue the pursuit. It will also be good to see if I can produce this result with an AG recipe. If I get there then I will have to send a long neck to SA through the post.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Scottie, I used BB Ale malt and I don't have any issues with sweetness. Perhaps you should go with a standard ale malt. And definitely don't mash it at 69C. 65-66 is perfect.

I have to say that this beer is fantastic and I am really enjoying at the moment.

Hi guys.

My work roster was recently changed, so mid-week brewing looks more likely now. pouty

I had planned to brew a Dark Ale, but have shelved that idea for the time being. I want to play around with my Amber Ale recipe once again. I'm looking to enter a couple of brews in the state homebrewing competition later this year, & this will be one of them.

I've been playing around with Aromatic Malt as a substitute for Munich Malt in a few of my other recipes, & really like what it gives, so I thought I might try it here.

Same recipe as my settled recipe, but subbed the Munich for Aromatic & have added another 200gms of ale malt grain into the mash to boost malt character a little. I also had to sub in a 100gms of CaraBohemian for some of the Medium Crystal as I was a little short on it for today's brew. I plan to double dry hop the brew with 2 x 15gm additions this time as opposed to the 2 x 10gm I usually do.

Let's hope my clumsy Wyeast 1318 starter ferments out the brew, & my guess with the Aromatic pays off.

Cheers,

Lusty.

...All mixed together, yeast pitched, & everything cleaned up.

I recently purchased some proper yeast nutrient (not something I've ever used before), that I used a pinch of in the 2 litre starter, & also half a teaspoon (recommended) with 15 minutes remaining in the boil. Hopefully whatever shortcomings I had with any potential lack of viable yeast, this at least helps make those that are still alive & viable, SUPER TOUGH!! lol

I'll obviously monitor gravity readings closely to make sure it ferments out. If by chance it stalls at some point, I'll flick in some coopers dry yeast to finish it off.

Decided to treat myself to a few Coopers Sparkling Ales that I am currently enjoying. I'll have a sampler of Kelsey's Red Ale this coming weekend & keg another Pale Ale recipe I'm very much looking forward to around the same time.

Happy times ahead. happywink

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've got three litres of WLP 005 starter ready for this one tomorrow. I tried to get it close to Lusty's OR.

Brewer: C. A. Parent

Asst Brewer:

Style: American Amber Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 49.93 l

Post Boil Volume: 43.68 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 40.00 l

Bottling Volume: 38.00 l