Coopers Community

Mosaic Amber Ale

Beerlust

Well, my brew evening was a success and I have 10.5 litres of Mosaic Amber Ale in a cube. Here are the ingredients that ended up going in.

Grain

1000g Weyermann Pilsner Malt

517g Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter Malt

325g Weyermann Munich I Malt

205g Joe White Wheat Malt

195g Simpsons Medium Crystal Malt

30g Simpsons Dark Crystal Malt

125g Weyermann Carahell Malt

33g Joe White Chocolate Malt

Hops

7g Centennial @60 mins

5g Mosaic @5mins

5g Mosaic @cube

10g Mosaic dry hop to come

Very nice looking wort, a beautiful rich amber colour.

Edit: My O.G. sample has cooled to room temp, somehow I managed to fluke 1.050 on the nose cool

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff John! happy

I hope your scaled down, no chill adjusted version hits all the right marks & produces a delicious beer for you.

It will be interesting to hear what your WLP006 does with the brew given that it claims to ferment dry with a notable ester profile, differing from the 1318 yeast I use that ferments fruity & finishes slightly sweet.

Good luck with the ferment once you get around to it. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

It will be interesting to hear what your WLP006 does with the brew given that it claims to ferment dry with a notable ester profile' date=' differing from the 1318 yeast I use that ferments fruity & finishes slightly sweet.[/quote']

This will be the 7th brew I've done with WLP006 and I reckon it will suit an Amber Ale perfectly. It does attenuate well at 18C, but leaves a nice malt character behind and throws a subtle apricot ester. See how it turns out!

P.S. Speaking of attenuating well but leaving plenty of malt flavour, I just took a quick gravity sample of my Old Ale done with WLP006, it's down to 1.013 from 1.070 now (dropped another 2 points since last Friday) and is tasting really nice. I can tell that this will be one to age for a while though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after 7 days in the fermenter I did a quick gravity check. It was down to 1.011 so in went the Mosaic dry hops. I'll give it another week and then bottle. Smells and tastes very nice at the moment! Tasting the gravity sample, Mosaic seems like a very nice hop. It's not overpowering, a bit flowery, with some citrus and fruity notes. I think most of this one is going into a Tap-a-Draft bottle for fresh drinking after carbonation!

Hi John.

I'm certainly following your posts here, & am very interested in the final outcome of your version of my original recipe.

For whatever reason, this particular recipe struck a nerve with Scottie, & he took the plunge & brewed a version to his liking of it. The kindness he showed through his subsequent posts, his assessment of the beer & a picture were really great. Enough so that Hairy (allbeit for perhaps ulterior motives tongue) also decided to brew a version of it for himself. Apart from his also really kind words about the beer, I really had a good chuckle through Hairy's "Baseball Brewing" of the beer through each of the stages! lolbiggrin Our favourite Canuck on the back of that brewed a version to which he said he & his friends really enjoyed.

The feedback I received from each of these guys (that I really respect as home brewers), you can't buy. cool

For that alone I'm very grateful. innocent

With that, it helps me put up with a lot of the BS they throw at me! lollol

I'll very much look forward to your view of your version of the final beer too John, as I have from Scottie, Hairy & Chad. I feel I learned a great deal from their own experiences & input on the recipe/beer. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'm also looking forward to hearing how it turns out. I ordered some Mosaic hops in my last order, and I have plans to brew this recipe in the warmer months as well. I'll try to keep it as close as possible to the original though, with the exception of it being AG. I'm gonna brew one of my "hop tester" APAs with Mosaic first though just to see what it's like as a hop. Basic malt bill, bit of Magnum for bittering and the rest as Mosaic late additions/dry hop. Should be interesting!

Hi guys.

On the back of a few of our fellow forum members praise of the hop' date=' I recently bought a small 90gm bag of Mosaic hops to see what all the fuss is about surrounding the flavours & aromas of this relatively new release hop.

Most of what I have read for recipes is either an IPA, or APA. I want to split the 90gms over two brews. One brew to test & understand the flavours of the hop, & the next to mix it with other hops in another brew, as I like to do.

So given I only want to use 45gms, what to brew?

I thought an Amber Ale would go nicely with this particular hop as the primary flavour & aroma hop, alongside a nice malty backbone. I've cheated a little by using a nice citrusy hop for my bittering addition, but have used Mosaic exclusively for each addition beyond that. I'm yet to see a commercial amber ale using this hop so let's roll the dice! Given how you can seemingly get away with lighter ABV levels with Amber Ales, I reckon this recipe could work very well.

Briess CBW Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg (Sorry Coopers. Make your LME more widely available!)

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Munich Malt grain 500gms

Medium Crystal grain 350gms

Chocolate Malt grain (1200) 100gms

CaraHell 200gms

Mashed/steeped @ 68°C for 60-75mins

[u']5 litre hop boil[/u]:

Centennial 15gms @ 60mins

Mosaic 10gms @ 20mins

Mosaic 5gms @ 10mins

Mosaic 10gms @ flameout (30min post boil steep)

Mosaic 20gms dry hopped after 4-5 days.

Wyeast London Ale III 1318 fermented @ 20°C

Brewed to 21 litres

EBC = approx. 34

Bottled ABV = approx. 4.6%

IBU = approx. 25.8

For those that have tasted a nice Amber Ale, you will know that it is not meant to be a hop bomb. If anything, the beer is more malt dominated (on the sweeter side), with a nice hop aroma & a mild hop flavour presence.

I'm hoping I've got the balance right for my first attempt at my own designed recipe Amber Ale (insert unsure icon).

I'm hinging my bets that the Mosaic hop will produce something very approachable in this style. Bold claims I know, considering I haven't even tasted a beer flavoured with this hop yet! Hahaha! :P

Throwing caution to the wind, & brewing the unknown is one of the main things I love about home brewing. :)

Some feedback on my recipe proposal would be appreciated. :)

Cheers,

Anthony.

Made this beer the other day .not sure if I did something wrong but it tastes to sweet for me .

This is the first attempt at no concentrate beer.

Ive made plenty of kit based beer with grains and hops they have all turned out quiet good .

Can somebody sugest what ive done wrong

further on next page ive noticed that more hops were added for more bitterness

could this be the problem

tanks regards Mick

e

Hi guys.

On the back of a few of our fellow forum members praise of the hop' date=' I recently bought a small 90gm bag of Mosaic hops to see what all the fuss is about surrounding the flavours & aromas of this relatively new release hop.

Most of what I have read for recipes is either an IPA, or APA. I want to split the 90gms over two brews. One brew to test & understand the flavours of the hop, & the next to mix it with other hops in another brew, as I like to do.

So given I only want to use 45gms, what to brew?

I thought an Amber Ale would go nicely with this particular hop as the primary flavour & aroma hop, alongside a nice malty backbone. I've cheated a little by using a nice citrusy hop for my bittering addition, but have used Mosaic exclusively for each addition beyond that. I'm yet to see a commercial amber ale using this hop so let's roll the dice! Given how you can seemingly get away with lighter ABV levels with Amber Ales, I reckon this recipe could work very well.

Briess CBW Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg (Sorry Coopers. Make your LME more widely available!)

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Munich Malt grain 500gms

Medium Crystal grain 350gms

Chocolate Malt grain (1200) 100gms

CaraHell 200gms

Mashed/steeped @ 68°C for 60-75mins

[u']5 litre hop boil[/u]:

Centennial 15gms @ 60mins

Mosaic 10gms @ 20mins

Mosaic 5gms @ 10mins

Mosaic 10gms @ flameout (30min post boil steep)

Mosaic 20gms dry hopped after 4-5 days.

Wyeast London Ale III 1318 fermented @ 20°C

Brewed to 21 litres

EBC = approx. 34

Bottled ABV = approx. 4.6%

IBU = approx. 25.8

For those that have tasted a nice Amber Ale, you will know that it is not meant to be a hop bomb. If anything, the beer is more malt dominated (on the sweeter side), with a nice hop aroma & a mild hop flavour presence.

I'm hoping I've got the balance right for my first attempt at my own designed recipe Amber Ale (insert unsure icon).

I'm hinging my bets that the Mosaic hop will produce something very approachable in this style. Bold claims I know, considering I haven't even tasted a beer flavoured with this hop yet! Hahaha! :P

Throwing caution to the wind, & brewing the unknown is one of the main things I love about home brewing. :)

Some feedback on my recipe proposal would be appreciated. :)

Cheers,

Anthony.

Made this beer the other day .not sure if I did something wrong but it tastes to sweet for me .

This is the first attempt at no concentrate beer.

Ive made plenty of kit based beer with grains and hops they have all turned out quiet good .

Can somebody sugest what ive done wrong

further on next page ive noticed that more hops were added for more bitterness

could this be the problem

thanks regards Mick

e

Hi spratty.

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear you have a failed brew/beer. sad

Understand that successful beer recipes themselves don't fail as a rule of thumb. Failures to reproduce them occur through the practical processes devised & followed by each individual brewer. rightful

You'll have to elaborate a lot further on your ingredient list & the processes you personally adopted for brewing this beer for anyone (including me) to help you figure out why your particular brewing of this recipe appears to have failed.

The sweetness you mentioned sounds like FG wasn't reached, & you've bottled/kegged the beer prematurely. Either that, or perhaps you just don't like Amber malt sweetness in a beer. unsure

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

That's not a bad point regarding the amber malt sweetness. I never liked it in beers I used it in either. I found it lent this really weird sweetness to the beer, it was almost sickly, not the pleasant caramelly/toffee type sweetness that I get from using crystal malts like Caraaroma.

But yes, more info is needed. You say you made it "the other day", when exactly? To me that's only 4 or 5 days ago, which suggests that it isn't even finished fermenting and been bottled/kegged yet. Has it reached FG and been bottled/kegged? If it has reached FG and is too sweet then the logical solution to me would be to add more hops, perhaps both bittering and flavouring additions to balance it more. Or drop the amber malt and steep a small amount of black patent or something to get the colour.

Also Lusty's comments about the actual recipe and processes you used will be most helpful in allowing us to try to work out what went wrong. cool

The other situation, of course, could be that the beer is perfectly fine and brewed how it should have been and that you personally just don't like that style of beer. wink When I first brewed a Munich Helles style beer, I found it was too sweet for my tastes when brewed within style guidelines, so I simply increased the hops each batch until I got it where I liked it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my attempt has been tapped and it has turned out very nice. Mosaic (in the quantities I used anyway) seems like a nice fruity, gentle hop with a bit of apricot and passionfruit. There's plenty of malt richness but I wouldn't call mine sweet. Good, full bodied mouthfeel too. Good work Lusty, you're onto a winner here!

Something I'll definitely make again ... although next time I'll go with a simpler grain bill to get it even closer to your original.

Hi John.

I'm glad to hear your version of the recipe has produced a nice beer for you. From memory you used another British Ale yeast on the brew. How do you think it went?

I found when drinking this beer young, the hops jump out in a nice way with the malt character early on in drinking. After a little aging, the beer turns a little more like an EB as the hop character begins to take a back seat due in part to the more malt friendly British Ale yeast & the malt bill itself.

Surprised no-one's tried using the 1318 yet (on anything). pouty

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

G'day Lusty,

Yes, I used WLP006. The results are good and it probably adds a little of the apricot flavour I can detect as well. I like this yeast in this beer. There is a nice full mouth-feel but the beer still finishes quite dry. I guess attenuation from 1.050 to 1.010 is fairly decent for a British yeast!

1318 looks quite versatile, I will bear this in mind for my next run of English style beers if I can catch it in stock anywhere.

Cheers,

Johm

Thanks for the help lusty I believe the fg was reached .

it has been in the keg now for about 2 weeks and became more drinkable .

The hop flavour has become les prominent

I bottled the leftover beer so will see how it goes .

I brew mostly ipa so maybe its not my type of brew

thanks again regards spratty

=Beerlust]Hi spratty.

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear you have a failed brew/beer. sad

Understand that successful beer recipes themselves don't fail as a rule of thumb. Failures to reproduce them occur through the practical processes devised & followed by each individual brewer. rightful

You'll have to elaborate a lot further on your ingredient list & the processes you personally adopted for brewing this beer for anyone (including me) to help you figure out why your particular brewing of this recipe appears to have failed.

The sweetness you mentioned sounds like FG wasn't reached, & you've bottled/kegged the beer prematurely. Either that, or perhaps you just don't like Amber malt sweetness in a beer. unsure

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone. I have 30g of Mosaic left over from a brew I did with my Mother in law so I am going to have a crack at a Lusty Mosaic Amber Ale. I've based my recipe around Anthony's first & favourite recipe and it looks like this:

Mosaic Amber Ale

1.5kg Briess Munich LME (50% Munich, 50% base malt)

1kg LDM

350g Medium Crystal

200g CaraHell

100g Chocolate 1200

20g Centennial @ 60 min

10g Mosaic @ 20 min

10g Mosaic @ 5 min

10g Mosaic @ flameout/steep

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

21 litre batch

I was going to load it up with some Cascade but it is an Amber Ale after all.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

G'day Mark.

I just wanted to wish you well with the brew. I'm glad you've gone to the trouble of purchasing the 1318 yeast, as I reckon it plays a noticeable part in how the flavours of this beer presents. I'll also be interested in your take of how the Briess Munich LME worked. cool

If you can, I would urge you to dry hop the beer with the Mosaic as it is really worth the added effort.

I'm sure there are some on the forum that are perhaps a little tired of me babbling on about this beer, but it is a beer I'm very proud of, & one I've been very happy that others on the forum have also brewed & said they enjoyed. happy

Cheers & good luck with the brew. I'll look forward to your review of it down the track. wink

Lusty.

Hey Lusty, cheers for your response.

I was originally going to use the Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale for this brew but the rated attenuation is a little low for me on this occasion. Plus I have heard a lot of good things about London Ale III so I thought I'd finally give it a go.

I was still torn between dry hopping or not but you've convinced me. I will go and get a another bag of Mosaic, dry hop with 20g and put the rest aside for a Black IPA I have planned cool

Cheers + beers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Lusty,

Do you have any notes from your original brew with regards to OG & FG readings? This is my first time using London Ale III and I'm not sure where it is supposed to finish. My OG was 1042 and after 8 days it was sitting at 1016.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Archived