Coopers Community

Mosaic Amber Ale

Beerlust

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys. smile

Let us know how that hopping technique goes' date=' Lusty.

It makes sense for sure, but I have yet to decide whether I can be stuffed. [img']biggrin[/img]

It seems a bit too fussy for me too, Lusty. I don't know if the subtle differences would be observed.

let us know.

I expect that the technique will all but completely eradicate any grassy-like tones from dry hopping, as the hops are never in the wort for more than 3 days. Beyond that, I admit it is very much an unknown for me on whether there are any aroma benefits above the normal single addition technique. Time & testing will tell that story. rightful

Would this present an increased risk of contamination by admitting air into the FV when fermentation is either very slow or all but stopped?

Anytime you open your FV during primary fermentation there is always that risk' date=' as slight as it may be. If paranoia about opening the FV lid to add a dry hop addition is too overwhelming a risk for the brewer to chance, then double dry hopping is definitely something for that person to avoid. [img']wink[/img]

As a brewing philosophy of sorts, I'm a firm believer that, "He Who Dares Wins".

...well eventually anyways! biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

The 1318 yeast went nuts on this brew. Ripped through a gravity of around 1.042-1.043 in about 2-3 days. I may even add the first of two hop additions as early as tomorrow. Tomorrow night I will begin the re-culture process for the CCA yeast from the bottle to be ready for pitching into either a Coopers Pale Ale or Celebration Ale brew I plan to mix up on Friday. I haven't made my mind up on that one yet.

Anyways back to the Amber Ale brew,...I'll also take a gravity reading before adding in the first dry hop addition to make sure all is good on that front against the calculated FG target.

So far so good. happy

Cheers,

Anthony.

I just took my hydrometer reading after 6-7 days & the yeast has done well & reached expected FG of 1.013. happy

When I opened the top, the wort still had a solid inch (25.4mm for the metric only boys whistling) thick brown krausen. I was surprised it hadn't collapsed back into the wort by this point. I had to fight my way through it to take an accurate hydro reading & drop in the first of two dry hop additions before I keg it!

YES keg it! Wooo Hooo! biggrin

Damn disgusting lazy pommy 1318 yeast! lol Smelled good though! wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Well it's in the keg now & carbing up as we speak. The sample tasted nice, & it smelled even better! love

I've got the regulator set at just under 30psi, & will leave it at that for the next 2 days, & then reduce the pressure to approx. 10psi & have a crack at pouring one out this coming Friday/Sat.

I can't wait. biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

I must say, I am jealous as well Lusty. I am enjoying my beers younger and younger at the moment, to the point where I find the flavour at its peak just as the beer is carbonated.

The freshness associated with kegged beer really appeals to me (grain to brain in 2 weeks) and if it weren't for the fact that I just couldn't be trusted with that much cold beer on hand, I'd be all over it.

I'm drinking a Mosaic APA right now which is roughly 8 weeks in the bottle, and compared to how it tasted at 3 weeks it is quite boring.

Good luck with your kegging!

Hey Lusty,

Way to go with your first kegged beer. It'll blow your mind!w00t.

If you are interested I use a method of force carbonation that works well that allows you to be sampling the beer after an hour or so.

http://www.kegking.com.au/Force%20Carbonating%20Your%20Beer.html

Give it a go. It works well once you work out the bugs. and and get the hang of it.wink

Hey Lusty,

Are you planning to leave the CO2 bottle in the fridge? If I were you I would I'd drill a small hole in the side of your fridge, run the gas line through it and keep the bottle outside. Thus, creating space for another keg or two! It's just a thought.whistling

Hi Skookum. smile

Hey Lusty' date='

Are you planning to leave the CO2 bottle in the fridge? If I were you I would I'd drill a small hole in the side of your fridge, run the gas line through it and keep the bottle outside. Thus, creating space for another keg or two! It's just a thought.[img']whistling[/img]

I'm temporarily using my brew fridge for housing the keg(s) until I get my purpose built keg fridge (keezer) built, so one keg will have to do for the time being. pouty

Nice new avatar Chad. Would that be an action shot of you catching a "Chinook" salmon? tongue

If so, wrong Chinook to be targeting there Skookum! lolwink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Would that be an action shot of you catching a "Chinook" salmon? tongue

Nope! It a Rainbow trout. It is in the same Genus as a Chinook but its a different fish. I was thrilled to catch this one He put up a good fight with some good aerial display. It's one of my favourite pictures of myself. It's a great action shot taken by my wife on a camping trip a few years back.

Would that be an action shot of you catching a "Chinook" salmon? tongue

Nope! It a Rainbow trout. It is in the same Genus as a Chinook but its a different fish. I was thrilled to catch this one He put up a good fight with some good aerial display. It's one of my favourite pictures of myself. It's a great action shot taken by my wife on a camping trip a few years back.

I used to catch, brown trout, rainbow trout and greyling on a fly in the chalk streams in the south of England. You could see then sitting on the bottom in the shallow sections waiting for insects and flies etc. to float past. The trick was to use a fly that was similar to the seasonal food they were eating and land the fly infront of them and let it drift over them. You needed heaps or patience and good relexes. back in those days, salmon were also quite prolific and you could get them over 5 lbs if you were lucky. What did you catch that one on? Hard body lure?, live bait?

What did you catch that one on? Hard body lure?' date=' live bait?[/quote']

Hey Nick,

I meant to mention my lucky fly of choice and I forgotrolleyes. I caught this one on a Rainbow streamer. This is a fly the imitates an rainbow trout in the fry stage of life. If you care to see the fly there is a pretty good view of it in the lip of this one. Just click on my profile nickname to view my details, there you can see the ridiculously large and detailed veiw of the fly as well as everything else. The picture is HUGE!smile

The whole hop/fish "Chinook" connection seems to have gone over most peoples heads like a 1980's West Indian cricket bouncer!! rolleyes

Poor form lads, poor form. pouty

You can make up for that though Skookum, by having your SWMBO taking a picture or two of you sprinting out the front entrance of a large North West Coast Hop farm with chinook hop plant in hand, & a number of security guards in close pursuit! lol

Now there would be a great Chinook action shot! biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

The whole hop/fish "Chinook" connection seems to have gone over most peoples heads like a 1980's West Indian cricket bouncer!! rolleyes

Poor form lads' date=' poor form.[/quote']

Perhaps you just need to work on your jokes rightful

Poor form lads' date=' poor form.[/quote']

Perhaps you just need to work on your jokes rightful

HarHarHar!!

That's what I thinking!

You win some' date=' you lose some. I just won't use that one in my stand-up routine. [img']wink[/img]

Thanks for being such a "captive" audience. biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys.

Time for another incantation of this recipe. I have a fairly full day tomorrow, so decided to do a rare night brew to free up some needed time tomorrow.

Briess CBW Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg (Sorry Coopers. Make your LME more widely available!)

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Munich Malt grain 350gms

Medium Crystal grain 350gms

Chocolate Malt grain (1200) 80gms

Victory Malt grain 250gms

Caramalt grain 200gms

Mashed/steeped @ 68°C for 75mins

5-6 litre hop boil:

Centennial 20gms @ 60mins

Mosaic 5gms @ 20mins

Mosaic 10gms @ 5mins

Mosaic 10gms @ flameout (30min post boil steep)

Mosaic 20gms dry hopped after 4-5 days.

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast fermented @ 19-20°C

Brewed to 21 litres

Bottled ABV = approx. 4.7%

IBU = approx. 29.1

I'll be interested to see how the Victory Malt grain & Wyeast 1728 influence this version.

Well the mash is nearly finished, so I better get back to it. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Anthony.

Look like a nice brew, Lusty. Still can't speak for Mosaic, though.annoyed

I have a 5 lbs. bag of Victory malt that I am soon to be experimenting with in some upcoming brews as well. My plan is to see how it goes in some ESB recipes. Maybe an alternative to Munich? We shall see.

Hi Skookum. smile

Look like a nice brew' date=' Lusty. Still can't speak for Mosaic, though.[img']annoyed[/img]

Being a lover of fruity Pale Ales, you really should do yourself a favour, & get hold of some Mosaic.

I reckon you'd really like it. cool

I have a 5 lbs. bag of Victory malt that I am soon to be experimenting with in some upcoming brews as well. My plan is to see how it goes in some ESB recipes. Maybe an alternative to Munich? We shall see.

I bought some on a recommendation from someone here on the forum' date=' that the "nutty", "biscuity" like flavours would work in well with an Amber Ale. One would think that flavour would also work well in an ESB given the similarities between Amber Ales & ESB's (malt-wise).

Not sure how close it resembles Munich though. [img']unsure[/img]

Oddly enough, a few weeks back I put together a little test brew Pale Ale that I force carbed up last night. I used Vienna in place of Munich specifically to see how they compare. They are both supposed to impart very malty characteristics, so I might try & pour one today. Hopefully I can pick up any differences.

If not, at worst it will be a nice Centennial/Cascade Pale Ale to drink & enjoy. biggrin

Cheers & good brewing,

Anthony.

Hey Chad

I agree with Anthony in that Victory is not a substitute for Munich malt, after all Victory is a speciality grain while Munich is a base grain. I do however think that victory would be a good compliment for Maris Otter in English Bitters. Could even be used with pale malts to make up for a lack of MO.

Cheers

Scottie

Hey Chad

I agree with Anthony in that Victory is not a substitute for Munich malt' date=' after all Victory is a speciality grain while Munich is a base grain. I do however think that victory would be a good compliment for Maris Otter in English Bitters. Could even be used with pale malts to make up for a lack of MO.

Cheers

Scottie[/quote']

Hey guys

I wasn't really thinking that the victory would be a substitute for Munich. I was just thinking it might be an alternative for flavouring in some ESB recipes that I have made in the past that have called for Munich in the bill. I am looking for different, not a substitute.

I think we all agree, though that victory might go well in an ESB.

I have used Victory in ESBs and it works well.

Admittedly, I used it with the Coopers EB kit and found it hard to pick up on the nuances of the Victory within all the other flavours.

It was still nice though.

Archived