Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2024)

9 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@stquinto I think that I have mentioned this before (after the last time this happened).  I suspect your beer lines are cheap PVC or the like and not double walled tubing we use here in kangaroo land as ours are rated to 200 psi at 30 C and 100 psi at 50 C.  Maybe your supplier has switched tubing to suit their profit?  Does that tubing have any markings to say what it is and what its rated at?

Sorry for your loss and I know how it feels as a connector brough me un-stuck and I lost almost a whole keg when it happened to me.  Flooded my Keezer overnight.

Thanks Al, a good point. What I get here is 5/8mm silicone lines, and if I leave the N2/CO2 blend on with the beer line attached it rips the beer line after a few days on the gas. It’s not a problem on CO2, only the nitro blend.

I’ve not seen reinforced silicone or PVC lines here, but I’ll ask my HBS. Otherwise I’ll put a sticker on the tap to remind me to take the beer line off 😉

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stquinto said:

Thanks Al, a good point. What I get here is 5/8mm silicone lines, and if I leave the N2/CO2 blend on with the beer line attached it rips the beer line after a few days on the gas. It’s not a problem on CO2, only the nitro blend.

I’ve not seen reinforced silicone or PVC lines here, but I’ll ask my HBS. Otherwise I’ll put a sticker on the tap to remind me to take the beer line off 😉

Is it the gas that causes line failure or is it the pressure?

Can you get EVABarrier 5mm x 8mm Double Wall line from Kegland?  It seems very robust.  Handles 40psi in my kegerator.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Can you get EVABarrier 5mm x 8mm Double Wall line from Kegland?  It seems very robust.  Handles 40psi in my kegerator.

It’s happened when I’ve left the nitro blend on at 35/40 PSI and forgotten to disconnect the beer line. The CO2 is fine.

I’ll check out the beer lines, these plain old silicone tubes are a bit fragile. Thanks for tge tip, and @iBooz2 Al too

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Be very interested to find out from other Nitro brewers, ya there @Pezzza? What beer line do you use on your Nitro set-up bloke?

I am about to invest in Nitro gas and regulator myself to bring myself right down to the lowest level of this brewing rabbit hole.  Also be interesting to see if anyone else is down there when I finally arrive. 

If @stquinto cannot get it, I would be more than happy to post over a bag of EVA barrier beer line if that helps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Be very interested to find out from other Nitro brewers, ya there @Pezzza? What beer line do you use on your Nitro set-up bloke?

I am about to invest in Nitro gas and regulator myself to bring myself right down to the lowest level of this brewing rabbit hole.  Also be interesting to see if anyone else is down there when I finally arrive. 

If @stquinto cannot get it, I would be more than happy to post over a bag of EVA barrier beer line if that helps.

Thanks very much for that Al ! I have just ordered some from iKegger in Berlin. Apparently they're best with push fittings, I might change over to those.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

We should start a new thread. I have a nitro setup, it works ok when it’s just right. But pouring a perfect Guinness eludes me more often than not. 
I’m pretty happy with the beer results though, at least that which I don’t fill the keezer with 🤦‍♂️
Goldilocks Gas it is…

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/29/2024 at 9:43 PM, iBooz2 said:

Same line as the CO2 @iBooz2 Boozer - but quite different Gas Bottle and quite different Regulator... 👍

And as you would well know, quite different Tap as well

Cheers Boozer and Brewers-at-large ; )

• Like 3

On 3/1/2024 at 6:13 AM, stquinto said:

We should start a new thread. I have a nitro setup, it works ok when it’s just right. But pouring a perfect Guinness eludes me more often than not. 
I’m pretty happy with the beer results though, at least that which I don’t fill the keezer with 🤦‍♂️
Goldilocks Gas it is…

I agree @stquinto Sainter... it obviously as you well know takes quite a lot longer to nitro-mix gas up initially -- and then more often than not - can take a few goes to get the gas level spot on....

And on the day - usually a few pours to get it right...flow control taps might be good for it too...  but once done it is a beautiful thing ; )

image.thumb.png.a345f6bf74857be3eeef53d34845aa1e.png

• Like 8

On 3/1/2024 at 12:48 AM, stquinto said:

Thanks very much for that Al ! I have just ordered some from iKegger in Berlin. Apparently they're best with push fittings, I might change over to those.

I support the use of the Stainless Steel Clamps - and with the higher pressures of the Nitro set-up would recommend them instead of the push fittings...  some love the plazzi push-ons but I (maybe due to being incompetent, ham-fisted, or both) have never had much joy out of them... 

Give me Barb and SS Clamps any day.... and I use 3.5m of the below line... this is what Jezza from CPB put me onto ages ago and has worked well ever since... 

image.thumb.png.6473a6bfbc879f80f38d6e6cbdd5577e.png

image.thumb.png.05893d063f5d1a40a5dd63660e975ac1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pezzza said:

I agree @stquinto Sainter... it obviously as you well know takes quite a lot longer to nitro-mix gas up initially -- and then more often than not - can take a few goes to get the gas level spot on....

And on the day - usually a few pours to get it right...flow control taps might be good for it too...  but once done it is a beautiful thing ; )

image.thumb.png.a345f6bf74857be3eeef53d34845aa1e.png

Looks magnificent mate.

• Like 3

IMG20240303162636.thumb.jpg.b714529cf7d6363383c6dc8e496884c1.jpg

I had a kilo of Vic Secret in the back of the freezer in its original packaging. Somewhere along the way the bag had failed and let oxygen in. I found it a few months ago. Could have been like it for months before that.  I'm not brewing at present and the vac sealer is in storage. Into the paddock she goes.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 7

9 minutes ago, Popo the Reprobate said:

I had a kilo of Vic Secret in the back of the freezer in its original packaging. Somewhere along the way the bag had failed and let oxygen in. I found it a few months ago. Could have been like it for months before that.  I'm not brewing at present and the vac sealer is in storage. Into the paddock she goes.

If you have dogs don’t let them eat it! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Nah, no dogs. I actually didn't think about it until after I had tossed it and wished I had have just chucked it in the bin just in case a dog or cat did come sniffing around. I hosed it all into the ground after that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

I dump the waste from my hop socks into the Bali Garden as compost, never gave that a thought either, its scattered everywhere but we don't have a dog anymore.  My daughters dog comes and stays with us, sometime for a week or more when she is on holiday etc. but her little dog just sniffs it and walks away, totally disinterested thank goodness.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Popo the Reprobate said:

Who knows if that lot couldn't have been serviceable?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Popo the Reprobate said:

Somewhere along the way the bag had failed and let oxygen in

@Popo the Reprobate, How did you realize that something was wrong? I have some 100g sandwich bags of hops in the freezer; what do I look out for? And to show my ignorance further; what was wrong with the hops?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

@Popo the Reprobate, How did you realize that something was wrong? I have some 100g sandwich bags of hops in the freezer; what do I look out for? And to show my ignorance further; what was wrong with the hops?

I have mine in foil bags packed in a Tupperware type container in the fridge, no air comes in contact with them.

Hops can be stored in a cool dry place for up to a year. If they are stored for longer than that they will start to lose their bitterness & flavour. After about 18 months, hops will be completely ineffective in brewing beer.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 7:28 PM, Pale Man said:

Who knows if that lot couldn't have been serviceable?

Maybe for something. Not knowing if they'd been exposed to air for potentially 6 months, I would have only attempted to use them for bittering. I've been caught out using old hops before and been disappointed by the beer they've been used in. I'm not currently brewing. All my gear is in storage so it's not a huge loss.

13 hours ago, jennyss said:

They were in a big vacuum sealed foil brick. When I was digging around in the freezer I noticed that the foil packet was no longer vacuum seal tight. 

They'll lose their flavour and aroma more quickly when they are are not sealed up and are exposed to oxygen. 

Here's a good quick bit of info

https://www.hops.com.au/hop-storage-techniques-that-preserve-impact-in-beer/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Superdelic Pale Ale. I squeezed that one in to free up the weekend. Fairly simple grain bill with Superdelic being the single hop. OF is a little over at 1.049 vs 1.046. Today we’re using the purple cube 😀

IMG_9994.thumb.jpeg.8a54c1c1114ec9c88a87e55ef84015ff.jpegIMG_9995.thumb.jpeg.fedba0db3e204ea9da9bc42c4608c7cf.jpegIMG_9996.thumb.jpeg.0a0d0a19d2239157e7963cf6042e78d4.jpegIMG_9997.thumb.jpeg.6846665fd9cc599dc6edb23f93840abc.jpeg

• Like 5