Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2024)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 6:49 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

You get that when you get older, just saying, that's all. 🫤

I've never come first in anything - until now.

On 3/7/2024 at 6:47 PM, Aussiekraut said:

There is. Me being an idiot 😂

I reckon I can easily take a first place podium finish for idiot of the year AK. I'm streets ahead of you in that department. 😂

• Haha 4

This is what happens, when you think a small zip lock bag will be enough to cover your yeast starter. Somehow those little buggers managed to get through the little gap the cable the temperature probe leaves in the door seal. And of course they went straight for the starter. No idea if it is still usable but that’s academic. I can’t get them out and when I cold crash, they will sink to the bottom. So annoyed. I was planning on using this starter next week. Now I have no fridge at the right temp to start another. Aaarrrgghh! 

IMG_0021.thumb.jpeg.fd44df568f05a813f697b8a23323b909.jpeg

• Sad 9

5 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

I've never come first in anything - until now.

I reckon I can easily take a first place podium finish for idiot of the year AK. I'm streets ahead of you in that department. 😂

Gee, ya being a bit tough on yourself there @Tricky Micky, I reckon you would take first prize at being a good bloke instead. 😇

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I was a bit under the pump trying to get the last batch bottled in time to go out and catch an afternoon session at the cinema. Got everything rolling and made it with 10 minutes to spare. Good going Champ, I thought to myself.

The trip to the cinema got cancelled at the last minute but that was not a problem.

The problem, I realized the next morning, was that I had made an error in my calculations. Each bottle had been primed with the amount of DME I had intended per litre, so twice the amount.

For the last week and a half I have had to don PPE to rotate the bottles through a cycle of chilling, burping, and conditioning. No bombs yet, hopefully I can stay on top of the situation.

• Haha 7

I learned the hard way today, you can’t do a step mash with BIAB. Tried a rice lager Asahi,the bag burnt and rice hulls and grain all thru the wort. So had to strain into a fv clean the urn then tip the wort back into the urn for the boil. Hopefully it will be ok, the Brewzilla can’t come soon enough 😅

IMG_2004.jpeg

IMG_2005.jpeg

IMG_2006.jpeg

Edited by John304
  • Sad 8

9 minutes ago, John304 said:

I learned the hard way today, you can’t do a step mash with BIAB. Tried a rice lager Asarhi, the bag burnt and rice hulls and grain all thru the wort. So had to strain into a fv clean the urn then tip the wort back into the urn for the boil. Hopefully it will be ok, the Brewzilla can’t come soon enough 😅

IMG_2004.jpeg

IMG_2005.jpeg

IMG_2006.jpeg

Ouch, hope you get it sorted mate, are you getting Gen 3 0r 4?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John304 said:

I learned the hard way today, you can’t do a step mash with BIAB.

Yes, it was learning the hard way @John304, I was going to suggest that in the meantime, if you get a SS camp oven trivet from a camping store, just to cover the bottom of the urn and hold the BIAB off the hot bits it will stop a burnt / melted bag.  It depends on if your urn has an exposed element which I presume it does.

This bit of kit may solve your immediate problem until you get your BZ. 

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That's unfortunate John.  I think you could if you used a false bottom that kept the bag away from the element.

Yes, I thought the concealed element might have been enough, not so 

• Sad 3

13 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Yes, it was learning the hard way @John304, I was going to suggest that in the meantime, if you get a SS camp oven trivet from a camping store, just to cover the bottom of the urn and hold the BIAB off the hot bits it will stop a burnt / melted bag.  It depends on if your urn has an exposed element which I presume it does.

This bit of kit may solve your immediate problem until you get your BZ. 

Actually I have one for the Weber Q, the urn has a concealed element, great suggestion, thanks 

• Like 2