Coopers Community

Its Kegging Time - 2024

9 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

@kmar92 you bloody beauty mate - thanks for the photo, it has just triggered me to work out I do not need to hook up the top of my FV with a CO2 line from my gas bottle when packaging my brews to kegs.

Instead of the set up I have in the photo below, I just need to simplify it:

1. First, purge the keg I am about to fill of oxygen with CO2,
  2. Second, reduce the empty keg's pressure a tad (so I don't blow the top of the FV off) and then hook up a line from the lid of the FV where the airlock is normally fitted, back to the CO2 post of the keg,
  3. Third, fit a line from the FV bottom tap to the liquid out post of the keg and then open the FV tap - BINGO ! - CO2 being pushed out of the keg I am filling and back into the top of the FV I am emptying - a closed circuit, no oxygen and no more monitoring to continuously pump up the FV with CO2

WOOOHOO - very cleaver ! 🥳👏

Cheers ! 🍺 🍺 

Kegging.thumb.jpg.c4c8469e34530353d1dac3a4469674c3.jpg

Sounds like a good idea @Triple B Brewing for a closed transfer, and less chance of oxygenation.

Just be very careful though as your FV is not a pressure vessel so that could be problematic. When I keg a batch from my Coopers FV's I just purge the keg with CO2 then hook up the tap on the FV to the liquid post on the keg and hook up a line on the gas post but I just let that vent to atmosphere as it fills the keg. As the keg has been purged with CO2 and the FV has a layer of CO2 sitting on top of the brew, I feel that the transfer is pretty much O2 free with that method and I do not have to deal with any pressure problems with the FV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Sounds like a good idea @Triple B Brewing for a closed transfer, and less chance of oxygenation.

Just be very careful though as your FV is not a pressure vessel so that could be problematic. When I keg a batch from my Coopers FV's I just purge the keg with CO2 then hook up the tap on the FV to the liquid post on the keg and hook up a line on the gas post but I just let that vent to atmosphere as it fills the keg. As the keg has been purged with CO2 and the FV has a layer of CO2 sitting on top of the brew, I feel that the transfer is pretty much O2 free with that method and I do not have to deal with any pressure problems with the FV.

Yep, thanks @kmar92. My typical set up in the photo above is already quite a good closed system. I use a gas line from my CO2 bottle pushed into the airlock o ring to slightly pressurise my FV (I have also recently brought and use a couple of C Clamps  to help keep the FV lid sealed and in place when I pump it up with CO2 (my guess is I can get about 5 PSI of pressure in the FV before the seal on the lid releases and CO2 escapes), then I currently use the same process of venting the filling keg to atmosphere as yourself, (only I just twist open the pressure release valve to achieve that), but your photo prompted me to think I could "re-use" the CO2.

Anywaz, it'll be easy to try out, I have a spare CO2 disconnect and plenty of spare beer line. If it doesn't work, or its too slow to transfer, nothing lost except a little time 😉

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

If it doesn't work, or its too slow to transfer, nothing lost except a little time 😉

I love my closed transfers from my kegmenter to a keg as there is virtually no O2 involved at all. However the transfers are not fast and it probably takes about 45 mins to get c.19l in a keg from the kegmenter.

That is not a problem for me though, I just have a beer or 2 as the closed transfer happens 😜

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I love my closed transfers from my kegmenter to a keg as there is virtually no O2 involved at all. However the transfers are not fast and it probably takes about 45 mins to get c.19l in a keg from the kegmenter.

That is not a problem for me though, I just have a beer or 2 as the closed transfer happens 😜

0ae3a706f711c5f9f03a6bd2888c9e51_w200.gif.d55d9003e50e5e007630e91c77937bc7.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

WOW - that's impressive - I wouldn't have thought that gravity pressure would have been enough to make such a filter work - there ya go eh, learning somefin new everyday - alrighty then 🥳

So @Red devil 44 do you find after packaging and when you do your clean down that the filter removes a lot of sediment?

I see in another thread @Aussiekraut is asking about the use of filters and if its worth the outlay, clean up and outcome - what are your thoughts?

Cheers ta cold (n clear) beers eh 🍺🍺 🍺 🍺

The gravity method does work, just takes a while going through the filter.

The filter was pretty clogged up with sediment as the hop bag in the fermenter came apart leaving hop debris on the bottom, ( I just guessed that at this point as I didn’t want to take the lid off the fermenter allowing oxygen in), so just put a small piece of timber under the back of the fermenter to angle it slightly, seemed to work well. 
I bought it from Kegland, $27 all up plus postage, I’m pretty happy with it, just a slow process when kegging, takes a good 20-25 minutes to keg when going through the filter, I’ve attached a few pics of the filter.

IMG_4971.jpeg

IMG_4972.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I agree @kmar92, I do something similar only I use a filter & a flow stopper. 

IMG_4973.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kegged my Low Carb Lager this afternoon.  As I noted in @Aussiekraut's thread about Biofine, the beer in the FV was as clear as.  It is hard to see how clear at this late stage of the closed transfer.

FG was 0.999 with the Low Carb Dry Enzyme.  ABV 4.6-4.7%

I will be pouring my cubed Dave's bitter straight onto the yeast cake shortly.

IMG_4300.JPG.8722235ce8122a03909f221a1258f4c3.JPG

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegged my Low Carb Lager this afternoon.  As I noted in @Aussiekraut's thread about Biofine, the beer in the FV was as clear as.  It is hard to see how clear at this late stage of the closed transfer.

FG was 0.999 with the Low Carb Dry Enzyme.  ABV 4.6-4.7%

I will be pouring my cubed Dave's bitter straight onto the yeast cake shortly.

IMG_4300.JPG.8722235ce8122a03909f221a1258f4c3.JPG

Looks good mate 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Kegging my 44 L Guinness clone at the moment, should get 2 and 1/4 x 19 L kegs.  Its already part carbed account being fermented under pressure and already at 2 C so I will give one of the kegs a bit of a fast carb overnight so I can have a couple of pints tomorrow for St Patricks day. 🍀 🇮🇪

Immediately after, I will pour in the two cubes of my Rye Rish Red Ale onto the WLP-004 trub and get that one underway.  In effect giving me 44 L of Guinness clone and 44 L of Rye Rish Red Ale all for the one $21.95 pouch of WLP-004 yeast plus a couple of dollars for some LDM in the initial overbuild starter.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just kegged my guiness clone and added 3ml of lactic acid to the keg! Had a little taste it’s so good i could drink it flat🤣 I will be having some tomorrow Saint Pats day ☘️ Might have to get a commercial can for comparison especially in regard to the sour bit

IMG_6998.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Kegging my 44 L Guinness clone at the moment, should get 2 and 1/4 x 19 L kegs.  Its already part carbed account being fermented under pressure and already at 2 C so I will give one of the kegs a bit of a fast carb overnight so I can have a couple of pints tomorrow for St Patricks day. 🍀 🇮🇪

Immediately after, I will pour in the two cubes of my Rye Rish Red Ale onto the WLP-004 trub and get that one underway.  In effect giving me 44 L of Guinness clone and 44 L of Rye Rish Red Ale all for the one $21.95 pouch of WLP-004 yeast plus a couple of dollars for some LDM in the initial overbuild starter.

I laugh because your rushing your beer for tomorrow like me🤣

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I laugh because your rushing your beer for tomorrow like me🤣

Yes, I cold crashed mine a bit too long as I did not have any spare MT kegs.  I did not add any lactic acid to mine as I want to do a drop into the pint glass before I pour technique and like you will get some commercial cans to compare get the sour level just right.  Once I know the sweet spot of acid to my tastes then I will put some in the kegs next time.  It will be a bit of trial and error and I did not want to over sour a whole batch.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, ben 10 said:

No longer kegging and selling my gear, just not drinking the levels of beer I used to.

Anyone after some perlick taps?

@ben 10, sorry to hear about this.  Wack em on our own trading post thread here.

PS.  How did your grains go in storage during the move and the big wet?  Any mould issues?

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ben 10 said:

Nope, all good, even the really old hops are still hoppy

👍 Thats good to know as I am still lurking on property up that way and was curious.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

👍 Thats good to know as I am still lurking on property up that way and was curious.

wet wet wet wet wet wet wet wet wet.

We had 500mls in one evening recently

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ben 10 said:

wet wet wet wet wet wet wet wet wet.

We had 500mls in one evening recently

Yeah, when we were up there in January, it was pi**ing down like mad. My brother-in-law called it a mild summer shower, we called it a deluge. If I walk 1km with an umbrella and end up with wet clothes right down to my undies it isn't a light shower 🙂 Walking ankle-deep in rainwater speaks books to me. However, that doesn't mean one can't have fun. I have some incriminating evidence of a certain person bouncing around puddles like a 4yo but luckily, it is in a format the forum doesn't support 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, ben 10 said:

No longer kegging and selling my gear, just not drinking the levels of beer I used to.

Anyone after some perlick taps?

Please tell me it’s April the 1st?????