Coopers Community

Its Kegging Time - 2024

The partial mash should get you an extra 1 - 1.5% ABV.  One thing to think about is the BU:GU ratio (Bitterness to Grain Units).  In the base recipe it is around 0.8.  In your version with the extra fermentables, it will drop to around 0.6.  This means your version will be a little sweeter.  Look at increasing the amount of Amarillo in the 20 minute boil.  In the example below, I upped it to 45g for a total IBU of 42 and a BU:GU ratio of 0.8.

I also think you will get better efficiency than 50% from your partial mash.  So even more reason to increase your bitterness.

At the end of the day, you will have to make a decision.  Then give the beer a try and see if you like it or if you should push it in a different direction more to your liking next time.

image.png.bbdcca03fbe824c438d9a1e5280f99c8.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The partial mash should get you an extra 1 - 1.5% ABV.  One thing to think about is the BU:GU ratio (Bitterness to Grain Units).  In the base recipe it is around 0.8.  In your version with the extra fermentables, it will drop to around 0.6.  This means your version will be a little sweeter.  Look at increasing the amount of Amarillo in the 20 minute boil.  In the example below, I upped it to 45g for a total IBU of 42 and a BU:GU ratio of 0.8.

I also think you will get better efficiency than 50% from your partial mash.  So even more reason to increase your bitterness.

At the end of the day, you will have to make a decision.  Then give the beer a try and see if you like it or if you should push it in a different direction more to your liking next time.

image.png.bbdcca03fbe824c438d9a1e5280f99c8.png

Thanks buddy - makes sense - brilliant !!

And that's why ya go to the top of the class for your study review folks 😉😂🤣😂

Seriously, thanks a heap - really useful information @Shamus O'Sean 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 2

Kegged up my Carlton Draught clone batch # 66 today, got two x 19 L kegs full plus topped up the half Keg of the previous batch of CD so now three kegs under fast carb pressure for 24 hours or so.  Dropped two cubes of CD clone, AG batch #68 straight back into the Kegmenter this will be the third ferment on the same lot of DL yeast.

Carlton Draught Clone AG batch #66  being kegged 30Jan2024.jpg

• Like 6

Kegging Day at Classic Brewing Co 

Draught & Real Ale just to kick off the year, all kegs in the fridge & gassed up at 20 PSI for a day or 2 & then down to serving pressure. 

The Growler holds 2l (Draught) & the 9.5 Corny around 4l Real Ale.

I can't wait to get back in the saddle with fresh beers on Tap, in a few days I will start some AG brews & keep them coming, no more droughts. At least that is the plan.

20240131_103509.jpg

20240131_110325.jpg

20240131_120818.jpg

20240131_121042.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I filled a 10l keg from each of my IPAs, and will bottle the rest. The taste from the hydrometer tube was promising.

Although I’m well into kegging, having some bottles to give away or take with you  is handy. The last time I went on a ski day with work and took a small keg the beer turned out really murky, not a good advert for home brew.

” It doesn’t look like this normally, honest!”

IMG_1877.jpeg

IMG_1871.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I kegged the last IPA I knocked up (Return of The Red IPA - a ROTM some time ago). Also a COPA AG cornie, and tomorrow a pressure vessel with a Theakston’s Old Pecilier AG clone. 
A big job then to bottle the rest but should be worth it.

IMG_1916.thumb.jpeg.b314b89d031339cd6d7cf6a1b4bad152.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpeg

• Like 6

Kegged up my 44 L batch of 150 Lashes clone this morning, got 2 & 1/4 x 19 L kegs.  This one was dry hopped with 100 Galaxy for 3 days at the start of cold crash routine.  It was such a pity to dump the US-05 trub after only two batches but I need to pitch my first ever stout tomorrow which is my Guinness clone as the starter is ready to go.  The Guinness clone will be followed by an RyeRishRedAle so I can re-use the trub of the Guinness which is the WLP-004 Irish Ale yeast.  Kegmenter #2 is currently getting a cleaned with hot SP soak in readiness.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 6

On 2/25/2024 at 4:24 PM, iBooz2 said:

Kegged up my 44 L batch of 150 Lashes clone this morning, got 2 & 1/4 x 19 L kegs.  This one was dry hopped with 100 Galaxy for 3 days at the start of cold crash routine.  It was such a pity to dump the US-05 trub after only two batches but I need to pitch my first ever stout tomorrow which is my Guinness clone as the starter is ready to go.  The Guinness clone will be followed by an RyeRishRedAle so I can re-use the trub of the Guinness which is the WLP-004 Irish Ale yeast.  Kegmenter #2 is currently getting a cleaned with hot SP soak in readiness.

That 150 Lashes clone is that the one on brewfather using POR

I want to brew an AG stout for winter I don't want the keg taking up room in the kegerator so what do I do?

Do I keg it and purge it and just leave it to sit at room temperature and when I'm ready put it in the kegerator on gas?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

That 150 Lashes clone is that the one on brewfather using POR

No BB, 150 Lashes does not use PoR hops at all.   I have not seen that recipe.

150 Lashes uses Pale malt, Munich malt and Wheat malt.  Hops used are Amarillo, Williamette, Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy.

IBU = 18.5     ABV = 4.2 %   EBC = 8

I designed my own recipe based on the commercial version and after several batches / versions it is pretty much spot on.  Just don't know what yeast they use so I have tried several versions of my recipe using Windsor, Nottingham, US-05 and CCA.  Might try Verdant yeast further down the track just for the hell of it.

I am just experimenting with the dry hop component now as the rest I am very happy with.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

No BB, 150 Lashes does not use PoR hops at all.   I have not seen that recipe.

150 Lashes uses Pale malt, Munich malt and Wheat malt.  Hops used are Amarillo, Williamette, Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy.

IBU = 18.5     ABV = 4.2 %   EBC = 8

I designed my own recipe based on the commercial version and after several batches / versions it is pretty much spot on.  Just don't know what yeast they use so I have tried several versions of my recipe using Windsor, Nottingham, US-05 and CCA.  Might try Verdant yeast further down the track just for the hell of it.

I am just experimenting with the dry hop component now as the rest I am very happy with.

The one on brewfather uses super pride instead of galaxy all other hops are the same I might give it a go

I don't know where I got POR from

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I want to brew an AG stout for winter I don't want the keg taking up room in the kegerator so what do I do?

Do I keg it and purge it and just leave it to sit at room temperature and when I'm ready put it in the kegerator on gas?

I would say either that or keg prime with sugar. That would leave a slightly different taste and extra sediment in the bottom.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I would say either that or keg prime with sugar. That would leave a slightly different taste and extra sediment in the bottom.

No I don't want to prime with sugar so will just keg it and purge and leave at ambient temp until I want to put it in the kegerator 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

No I don't want to prime with sugar so will just keg it and purge and leave at ambient temp until I want to put it in the kegerator 

@Back Brewing yes, agreed OK but keep it under pressure albeit slightly lower than serving pressure.  If possible, connect it to CO2 at a very low pressure for the whole time.  Either that or you have to top up the pressure in the keg each week or so because the CO2 will get absorbed by the stout over time.  You do not want the stout to draw in O2 and oxidize.  Keep the inside of the keg at a positive static air pressure until chilling and serving time IMO, when you can then ramp it up to proper serving pressure and enjoy.

Do you remember those Artisian Diver experiments / demonstration's way back in primary school with a jar and a rubber top with a weighted object suspended in the liquid.  It demonstrates that with a little increase in air pressure inside a closed container it will make the heavy particles in solution sink to the bottom of the liquid.  These, of course will be drawn out first pour, hence a cloudy first pour.

So, you may have to tip a bit of the first pour, but the rest will be heaven.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@Back Brewing yes, agreed OK but keep it under pressure albeit slightly lower than serving pressure.  If possible, connect it to CO2 at a very low pressure for the whole time.  Either that or you have to top up the pressure in the keg each week or so because the CO2 will get absorbed by the stout over time.  You do not want the stout to draw in O2 and oxidize.  Keep the inside of the keg at a positive static air pressure until chilling and serving time IMO, when you can then ramp it up to proper serving pressure and enjoy.

Do you remember those Artisian Diver experiments / demonstration's way back in primary school with a jar and a rubber top with a weighted object suspended in the liquid.  It demonstrates that with a little increase in air pressure inside a closed container it will make the heavy particles in solution sink to the bottom of the liquid.  These, of course will be drawn out first pour, hence a cloudy first pour.

So, you may have to tip a bit of the first pour, but the rest will be heaven.

Haha nope don't remember that I was told in the first term of 3rd year my presence was no longer required 

• Haha 4

On 2/29/2024 at 9:23 PM, Back Brewing said:

Haha nope don't remember that I was told in the first term of 3rd year my presence was no longer required 

HAAA HA ! Yep I can relate to that, only it was the economic class for me 🤷‍♂️🥳

On 1/29/2024 at 7:12 PM, Triple B Brewing said:

Thanks buddy - makes sense - brilliant !!

And that's why ya go to the top of the class for your study review folks 😉😂🤣😂

Seriously, thanks a heap - really useful information @Shamus O'Sean 🍺🍺🍺🍺

OK, so here’s an update…

I ended up brewing the CASCARILLO AMBER ALE as per recipe without deviation, and while I’m enjoying the caramel malty notes and fine balance of bitterness and hoppy taste, unfortunately the end result for me is similar to the other extract recipe I recently brewed the GOODNIGHT AMERICA brew, both of these have left me feeling like they are missing body and a bit “watery”.

I guess I’ll have to give this recipe another try, but using the partial mash advice provided by @Shamus O'Sean to see if I can improve the end mouth feel 😉

Thankfully, I think the old saying has merit “there’s no such thing as a bad beer, just some are better than others” 😂🤣😂

Cheers ! 🍺🍺🍺🍺

IMG_3191.thumb.jpeg.fee4019a40a46bdde2c7908aacd97826.jpeg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

OK, so here’s an update…

I ended up brewing the CASCARILLO AMBER ALE as per recipe without deviation, and while I’m enjoying the caramel malty notes and fine balance of bitterness and hoppy taste, unfortunately the end result for me is similar to the other extract recipe I recently brewed the GOODNIGHT AMERICA brew, both of these have left me feeling like they are missing body and a bit “watery”.

I guess I’ll have to give this recipe another try, but using the partial mash advice provided by @Shamus O'Sean to see if I can improve the end mouth feel 😉

Thankfully, I think the old saying has merit “there’s no such thing as a bad beer, just some are better than others” 😂🤣😂

Cheers ! 🍺🍺🍺🍺

IMG_3191.thumb.jpeg.fee4019a40a46bdde2c7908aacd97826.jpeg

Looks good, taps are pouring well, what PSI?