Coopers Community

Its Kegging Time - 2024

48 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

OK, so here’s an update…

I ended up brewing the CASCARILLO AMBER ALE as per recipe without deviation, and while I’m enjoying the caramel malty notes and fine balance of bitterness and hoppy taste, unfortunately the end result for me is similar to the other extract recipe I recently brewed the GOODNIGHT AMERICA brew, both of these have left me feeling like they are missing body and a bit “watery”.

I guess I’ll have to give this recipe another try, but using the partial mash advice provided by @Shamus O'Sean to see if I can improve the end mouth feel 😉

Thankfully, I think the old saying has merit “there’s no such thing as a bad beer, just some are better than others” 😂🤣😂

Cheers ! 🍺🍺🍺🍺

IMG_3191.thumb.jpeg.fee4019a40a46bdde2c7908aacd97826.jpeg

Lovely looking pour ol chop.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Down the hatch, that's the idea.

Down the hatch, down the hatch
slam your drink down the hatch
doesn't matter, any batch
slam your drink down the hatch

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks good, taps are pouring well, what PSI?

Hey Phil as you can see from the pic below I store my bottle of CO2 in my Keezer and I have just one regulator on the gas bottle which feeds a manifold of six outlets, so my setup is a little coarse really cobber.

I’ll carbonate a keg at around 25 - 30 PSI for approx 3 days and then I’ll typically just set n forget at around 8 to 10 PSI for the next 4 or so days in the Keezer stored at around -2 degrees before starting to consume. 
8 to 10 PSI is typically my serving pressure mate, but I will adjust (with a tweak of the regulator) accordingly to the beer type as/if needed. 

IMG_2478.thumb.jpeg.0d522e7c7733b100ab4df4aa4c2c231b.jpeg

• Like 5

Kegged up 2 & 1/4 kegs of another Carlton Draught clone this afternoon.  I have run out of places to lager and store them so these ones will just have to wait for their turn in the Keezer and sit pressurised at ambient for the time being.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Kegged up 2 & 1/4 kegs of another Carlton Draught clone this afternoon.  I have run out of places to lager and store them so these ones will just have to wait for their turn in the Keezer and sit pressurised at ambient for the time being.

You must be a big drinker or your brewing for a few people I'm about to step my brewing up when son gets a kegerator 

Edited by Back Brewing

17 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

You must be a big drinker or your brewing for a few people I'm about to step my brewing up when son gets a kegerator 

Yes, I guess I do drink too much, probably we all do and that's why I like most of my beers in the low 4's ABV wise plus my usual hanger-ons have been away for holidays over Christmas and the like and another has cut back his drinks due to his New Years health plan. 

A couple of old sayings spring to mind:

• I don't drink any more, or any less either.
  • I haven't had a drink for ages, not since guzzling became the "thing".
  • I drink like am drowning.
  • A man is not a camel.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

To me ...

• Responsibility is not spilling it.
  • Alcohol is not the answer- it just makes you forget the question.
  • A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts.
  • Drink to forget but never forget to drink.
  • I think getting older is you would rather day drink than go out all night.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I know this a kegging theme but I bottled up the rest of my COPA double brew (I already drew off a cornie) and left over from a Aus IPA KnK (after pulling off a 10l mini keg).

I still have left over Holly Hazy and Return of the Red to bottle, as well as an AG Theakston’s Old Perc

I don’t think I’ll harvest the yeast from the FV with the manky airlock though, bit the beer isn’t spoiled at least

IMG_1994.jpeg

IMG_1996.jpeg

IMG_2001.jpeg

IMG_1997.jpeg

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I know this a kegging theme but I bottled up the rest of my COPA double brew (I already drew off a cornie) and left over from a Aus IPA KnK (after pulling off a 10l mini keg).

I still have left over Holly Hazy and Return of the Red to bottle, as well as an AG Theakston’s Old Perc

I don’t think I’ll harvest the yeast from the FV with the manky airlock though, bit the beer isn’t spoiled at least

IMG_1994.jpeg

IMG_1996.jpeg

IMG_2001.jpeg

IMG_1997.jpeg

WOOAH @stquinto what the heck is goin on with that airlock mate - what ever it is it’s growing quite nicely 🫣 😂🤣😂🤢

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Triple B Brewing said:

WOOAH @stquinto what the heck is goin on with that airlock mate - what ever it is it’s growing quite nicely 🫣 😂🤣😂🤢

Gross isn’t it? I normally put sanitiser in, must have just put water in this time

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stquinto said:

Gross isn’t it? I normally put sanitiser in, must have just put water in this time

Now imagine you take a sample and forget to take the airlock out first 🤢

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Now imagine you take a sample and forget to take the airlock out first 🤢

OH NOOO  now did you have to take us there @Aussiekraut - that’s just dam right nasty  - that thought makes me wanna drive the big porcelain bus n call for Jane - BBRRUUKKK 🤢🤮 🤤

Clean up to ile 3 please 🥴

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

WOW RD does that really filter via gravity feed ?

Do you also use a cold crash method to drop the solids out before you package @Red devil 44 ?

Gravity feed it does, got a keg plus 4 soft drink bottles, pic attached. 
Yes I CC for 5 days before I got back home on break. 

IMG_2603.JPG

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Gravity feed it does, got a keg plus 4 soft drink bottles, pic attached. 
Yes I CC for 5 days before I got back home on break. 

IMG_2603.JPG

WOW - that's impressive - I wouldn't have thought that gravity pressure would have been enough to make such a filter work - there ya go eh, learning somefin new everyday - alrighty then 🥳

So @Red devil 44 do you find after packaging and when you do your clean down that the filter removes a lot of sediment?

I see in another thread @Aussiekraut is asking about the use of filters and if its worth the outlay, clean up and outcome - what are your thoughts?

Cheers ta cold (n clear) beers eh 🍺🍺 🍺 🍺

• Like 1

Kegged 1/2 the brew that I did February 22

This 1/2 was the portion that was pressure fermented with W34/70. Had a few problems with the closed transfer quitting at around 13.5l, re-pressurized the kegmenter and hooked it up again and eventually got around 18.5l in the keg.

I will probably keg the other 1/2 tomorrow, that is the portion fermented with Novalager.

KM!e.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Kegged 1/2 the brew that I did February 22

This 1/2 was the portion that was pressure fermented with W34/70. Had a few problems with the closed transfer quitting at around 13.5l, re-pressurized the kegmenter and hooked it up again and eventually got around 18.5l in the keg.

I will probably keg the other 1/2 tomorrow, that is the portion fermented with Novalager.

KM!e.jpg

@kmar92 you bloody beauty mate - thanks for the photo, it has just triggered me to work out I do not need to hook up the top of my FV with a CO2 line from my gas bottle when packaging my brews to kegs.

Instead of the set up I have in the photo below, I just need to simplify it:

1. First, purge the keg I am about to fill of oxygen with CO2,
  2. Second, reduce the empty keg's pressure a tad (so I don't blow the top of the FV off) and then hook up a line from the lid of the FV where the airlock is normally fitted, back to the CO2 post of the keg,
  3. Third, fit a line from the FV bottom tap to the liquid out post of the keg and then open the FV tap - BINGO ! - CO2 being pushed out of the keg I am filling and back into the top of the FV I am emptying - a closed circuit, no oxygen and no more monitoring to continuously pump up the FV with CO2

WOOOHOO - very cleaver ! 🥳👏

Cheers ! 🍺 🍺 

Kegging.thumb.jpg.c4c8469e34530353d1dac3a4469674c3.jpg

• Like 2