Coopers Community

Today's Tastings - 2024

iBooz2

13 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Technically not 2024 tastings so please forgive me.  

Just a short time ago I was in @Triple B Brewing's front yard and sampled some beers and tucker at Shelter Brewing.  I was the designated driver (out of the two of us 😂) so I had to be careful with my tastings volume.  Salt and Pepper Chilli Squid was good as was the Prawn, Garlic and Chilli pizza washed down with a couple of Pale Ales.  HSSH had a Rosé or three and she also loved the place.

Was a perfect summers day and we walked the length of the very long pier both out to the very end and back so were in need of some refreshments once back on the shore.

Busselton WA - Geographe Bay.jpg

Busselton WA - Prawn & Chilli Pizza.jpg

Busselton WA - Salt & Pepper Chilli Squid.jpg

Busselton WA - Shelter Brewery Inside.jpg

Busselton WA - Shelter Brewery.jpg

Hey @iBooz2 - pleased you enjoyed your stay in ‘ol Busso town (well technically it’s been a City now for years, but it’s still got growing pains to be honest - unfortunately the Mayor and Council are breaking their necks to grow the joint as quickly as possible (which you can’t stop progress (well that’s what they call it anyway), but you just hope they do it right) After living here for the last 30 years I can tell you they’re still workin on gettin that bit of the equation right 🫣

Yep the old locals managed to save the historical jetty after cyclone Albie in 78 almost took it out completely - it was the longest timber jetty in the southern hemisphere - it’s a mile long. Then after the fire in 1999 they had to cut the last ~200 meters off to isolate the fire and save the rest, a couple of years after that they built the underwater observatory - and coming soon - wait for it… a restaurant and underwater accommodation (yep that’s right 🤦‍♂️) they would grown lawn out there and have a golf course to capture a bit more of the tourist dollar I reckon if they could 😉 😂🤣😂

I’m not against progress, but I don’t think I will ever understand why they have developed what was a coastal A Class Reserve and as quickly as they can crowd out what was a beautiful huge open lawned space with buildings and other hard surfaces - gone for good unfortunately now is the freestyle easy coastal living (and plenty of parking) that once was (a bit like the fish, but that’s another story). 

Anyway The Shelter knocks out pretty good beers IMO and I thought the tucker was reasonable pub fare (it’s just unfortunate they didn’t make better use of their location and views when they designed it IMO), so pleased you got to enjoy it cobber. I would have joined ya there for a cold one and put a face to a name had I known, but all good, maybe next time 😉

P.S. nice photos 😎🍺🍺

• Like 2

16 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Now down at Margaret River Brewing, where else but .......

I drank many pints of their Kolsch and thought at the time I should brew one these style beers.

Margaret River Beer Co 1.jpg

Margaret River Beer Co 2.jpg

Margaret River Beer Co Beer Garden.jpg

Margaret River Beer Co Drinks Menu.jpg

Margaret River Beer Co Tucker Menu.jpg

What’d ya think of MRB @iBooz2?

I’ve only been there the once, enjoyed a bite to eat and a couple of their beers - I thought it wasn’t a bad outing.
However, I gotta be honest and say I always find myself thinking “I reckon my beer is as good as this and I reckon that burger or pizza isn’t as good as what I make” - then my much better half verbally slaps me around the ear ‘ol and says “it’s nice to be out n about isn’t it” - DOH 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

15 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Almost forgot. Cevantes WA and the lobster shack.

Loster meals were very, very small-ish and way overpriced.  Their lobster lager was to me, a bit of an amateur beer and very plain, don't know where they get it from, but they need to re-think supplier or get a new brewer (just my opinion).  Would have killed for a couple of glasses of my home brewed lager.  Glad I was driving further south as the beers did nothing for me so drank very little.  I think people who dine, and drink here do it "just" for the experience and coastal atmosphere, and of course to say they have been here, me included.

Lobster Lager 1 - Cervantes WA.jpg

Lobster Lager 2 - Cervantes WA.jpg

Lobster Shack - Cervantes WA.jpg

Jeez, that’s really disappointing to hear @iBooz2 - I have never made it in there personally, but that joint is supposed to get a really good wrap, especially for their lobster rolls. 😋
If ya can’t get a decent cold one in there, I don’t think I ever will then 😢

• Like 1

Cheeky Monkey Brewing at Wilyabrup WA (about 20 km north of Margaret River).  We got there right on opening in the morning so hardly anyone there.  We had a big day planned ahead of us and this was just a starting point.  Would have liked to have spent the whole day here as it's a very pleasant and relaxing atmosphere with a great outlook over the vineyards and the weather was just superb.

Their draught was a bit too bland for my liking so moved to the hazy pale ale which was much better.  We did not have anything to eat as we were not long loaded up with breakfast although we were tempted by looking though the food menu.  It is attached to a winey cellar door, so the HSSH spent most of her time in there doing tastings as she did not have to share the driving and came out with a few expensive bottles of wine. 

We moved on about lunch time just as the busses and carloads of punters started to show up.  A selection of a few pics to give you an idea of the beer gardens etc.

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 1.jpg

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 2.jpg

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 3.jpg

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 4.jpg

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 5.jpg

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 6.jpg

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 7.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Jeez, that’s really disappointing to hear @iBooz2 - I have never made it in there personally, but that joint is supposed to get a really good wrap, especially for their lobster rolls. 😋
If ya can’t get a decent cold one in there, I don’t think I ever will then 😢

Yes, it does get a really good wrap on-line and we were lucky to speak to several traveller on our way down the west coast that that had been there and done that.  They suggested we lower our expectations a bit but do it just for the experience anyway, so I am passing that intel on to you too.

The lobster mornay dish was so small (half a small lobster each that you could buy at Woolworths for $22) we had to fill up on four serves of lobster rolls and they were not too bad, but not much lobster in them though.

We are probably spoilt as we can buy fresh caught and cooked southern lobster right off the boat.  There is a guy in Port Fairy VIC that gives you a selection of his daily catch and then puts the chosen lobster to sleep then cooks it to perfection right in the back of his lobster boat while you wait.  There are probably boats up and down the WA coast that do the same thing but even though we looked could not find any trading, maybe wrong season?

Best spring rolls we have ever had were at Tewantin Jetty on the sunny coast in QLD, they were duck and spicy plum sauce.   Right up my alley.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Triple B Brewing said:

What’d ya think of MRB @iBooz2?

I’ve only been there the once, enjoyed a bite to eat and a couple of their beers - I thought it wasn’t a bad outing.
However, I gotta be honest and say I always find myself thinking “I reckon my beer is as good as this and I reckon that burger or pizza isn’t as good as what I make” - then my much better half verbally slaps me around the ear ‘ol and says “it’s nice to be out n about isn’t it” - DOH 🤦‍♂️

The MRB was ok, a bit short on parking at the time we were there (late afternoon into the evening) so a bit of a sheet fight to get in and out.  Drink prices not too bad and the food was ok but as you say, never as good as you make at home.  My HSSH would starve to death rather than cook a meal, so I have to do all the cooking.  I settled in there ok just to give me a bit of a rest from kitchen patrol duties ha ha.😉

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Yes, it does get a really good wrap on-line and we were lucky to speak to several traveller on our way down the west coast that that had been there and done that.  They suggested we lower our expectations a bit but do it just for the experience anyway, so I am passing that intel on to you too.

The lobster mornay dish was so small (half a small lobster each that you could buy at Woolworths for $22) we had to fill up on four serves of lobster rolls and they were not too bad, but not much lobster in them though.

We are probably spoilt as we can buy fresh caught and cooked southern lobster right off the boat.  There is a guy in Port Fairy VIC that gives you a selection of his daily catch and then puts the chosen lobster to sleep then cooks it to perfection right in the back of his lobster boat while you wait.  There are probably boats up and down the WA coast that do the same thing but even though we looked could not find any trading, maybe wrong season?

Best spring rolls we have ever had were at Tewantin Jetty on the sunny coast in QLD, they were duck and spicy plum sauce.   Right up my alley.

Yeah, nar thanks - I'm hearin' ya 🤷‍♂️

We'll pass or drop into Cevantes at least once a year now we're retired I reckon while heading north during a winter getaway, but I don't need an average beer and overpriced, under filled lobster dish, we too can normally do better than that locally. 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

The MRB was ok, a bit short on parking at the time we were there (late afternoon into the evening) so a bit of a sheet fight to get in and out.  Drink prices not too bad and the food was ok but as you say, never as good as you make at home.  My HSSH would starve to death rather than cook a meal, so I have to do all the cooking.  I settled in there ok just to give me a bit of a rest from kitchen patrol duties ha ha.😉

HEE - that's funny - and yes I can totally relate to lack of parkin' - it has a very small car park indeed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Cheeky Monkey Brewing at Wilyabrup WA (about 20 km north of Margaret River).  We got there right on opening in the morning so hardly anyone there.  We had a big day planned ahead of us and this was just a starting point.  Would have liked to have spent the whole day here as it's a very pleasant and relaxing atmosphere with a great outlook over the vineyards and the weather was just superb.

Their draught was a bit too bland for my liking so moved to the hazy pale ale which was much better.  We did not have anything to eat as we were not long loaded up with breakfast although we were tempted by looking though the food menu.  It is attached to a winey cellar door, so the HSSH spent most of her time in there doing tastings as she did not have to share the driving and came out with a few expensive bottles of wine. 

We moved on about lunch time just as the busses and carloads of punters started to show up.  A selection of a few pics to give you an idea of the beer gardens etc.

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 1.jpg

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 2.jpg

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 3.jpg

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 4.jpg

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 5.jpg

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 6.jpg

Cheeky Monkey Brewing 7.jpg

Arrrr yes CMB, agreed @iBooz2, a very pleasant and relaxing atmosphere indeed. I too thought their strongest IPA was only just enough flavour for my taste.

I remember sittin' under that very tree by the dam havin' a coupla cold ones with my best half before going 50 metres down Caves Rd to Cullens Winery for our 40th Anniversary Lunch - now that was a nice lunch, more expensive than sin, but very nice 😋

• Like 2

Some more recent IPAs

Colossal Brewing Mind Harvest

IMG_20240123_185320629.thumb.jpg.582cd4fd2fef143145b17010437edd4c.jpg

Initial Brewing

IMG_20240124_190246066.thumb.jpg.0f94d4e44762c713f20102433047bfbb.jpg

Classic Brewing Co (no relation, I assume)

IMG_20240124_191933614.thumb.jpg.45750f7e04382162edf26577102b2d28.jpg

Colossal Brewing Hopmosphere

IMG_20240125_185749552.thumb.jpg.579e14fad093ab64a66b6e8963f82f5d.jpg

Co-Conspirators

IMG_20240126_174558006_HDR.thumb.jpg.d445130401f16b2af4121cee277024af.jpg

Of these, the Colossal Brewing IPAs were my favorites.

• Like 4

On 1/21/2024 at 8:58 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes, I would rather have the Heineken.

It depends on where I am. In the Netherlands, I'd go for the Heinie, in Denmark for the Carlsberg or better still, a Tuborg. In other places, I'd probably go for neither. Although I must admit, I have some Heineken 0.0 in the fridge. 

That reminds me of a bar in London. I wanted a beer and as I always do when overseas, I drink local beer. So I walked up to the counter, said I was after a beer and the fella behind the bar proudly pointed at his taps with Heineken, Beck's, Stella Artois and the usual suspects. You should have seen the look on his face when I pointed over to the pommie ale taps and told him I was more interested in those. It was a mix of surprise, shock, disappointment and being pleased at the same time. Gold 🙂 

• Like 4

On 1/25/2024 at 5:26 PM, Hilltop hops said:

Saw this at the bottleo today, a bit strong for me! 

20240125_163418.jpg

The name should have been a warning. When they first brewed and sampled it, they said the beer was an India...hickup...India...India...India...India Pale Ale. Hence the name. True story. I'm sure. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

The name should have been a warning. When they first brewed and sampled it, they said the beer was an India...hickup...India...India...India...India Pale Ale. Hence the name. True story. I'm sure. 

The price would be a put off for a start!

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The price would be a put off for a start!

It is but on the other hand, it isn't too bad for a beer that strong. I'd probably buy it just for S&Gs but It surely would be a one off. For the same price, I can get a 750ml bottle of La Chouffe, which, while nowhere near as strong is probably a better beer. And hey, 750ml of 10% beer is more alcohol than 375ml of an 18%er. The rum barrel aged Porter I had last week cost me $30 for a 750ml 9.9% beer. Its like a good wine. One is happy to pay a good price once in a while if the result is worth the expense. It is important to treat yourself every now and then. Yolo as they say. 

With this beer, I am not so sure it is worth it. I can imagine it to be brutally bitter with a nasty alcohol sting. Or what else should I expect from an IIIIIPA with 150+ IBU and 18% abv?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I wonder if we could make a beer like this? 

One of the key issues is whether a beer yeast would stall due to the ABV before it finished out.  Hence, I added a champagne yeast. 

The efficiency might also be an issue.  However, if the SG worked out a bit low, some extra Dextrose could be used.

Any other issues to be aware of if anybody gave something like this a crack. 

Interestingly, it would cost about $85 for this 12.5 litre batch.

I chucked a recipe into Brewfather for S&G's.  See below

Screenshot2024-01-27154801.jpg.86661c3f9fd81f3734091b49b4197c76.jpg

Screenshot2024-01-27154842.jpg.8ec0b2a16992520a2bb7b5bfcb771595.jpg

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I wonder if we could make a beer like this? 

One of the key issues is whether a beer yeast would stall due to the ABV before it finished out.  Hence, I added a champagne yeast. 

The efficiency might also be an issue.  However, if the SG worked out a bit low, some extra Dextrose could be used.

Any other issues to be aware of if anybody gave something like this a crack. 

Interestingly, it would cost about $85 for this 12.5 litre batch.

I chucked a recipe into Brewfather for S&G's.  See below

Screenshot2024-01-27154801.jpg.86661c3f9fd81f3734091b49b4197c76.jpg

Screenshot2024-01-27154842.jpg.8ec0b2a16992520a2bb7b5bfcb771595.jpg

Never made one that big. Had a Belgian dark strong top out at almost 12% a couple of years ago. That's as high as i have went. As you said ABV stopping the yeast is the biggest issue. EC 1118 is what a lot of distillers use in their sugar washes so it can handle high ABVs. The other way is to do a batch at say 10% then set the temp on your fridge to partially freeze the batch then rack off the unfrozen portion which is higher in ABV. I know that is how brewdog did their crazy 30 and 40% brews but it would be very hit and miss I would think in a homebrew environment.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Never made one that big. Had a Belgian dark strong top out at almost 12% a couple of years ago. That's as high as i have went. As you said ABV stopping the yeast is the biggest issue. EC 1118 is what a lot of distillers use in their sugar washes so it can handle high ABVs. The other way is to do a batch at say 10% then set the temp on your fridge to partially freeze the batch then rack off the unfrozen portion which is higher in ABV. I know that is how brewdog did their crazy 30 and 40% brews but it would be very hit and miss I would think in a homebrew environment.

My mate uses Turbo yeast for his distilling setup.  There is a new version of that one called Turbo Yeast Express 24, but I am unsure if it's specs and performance.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2024 at 1:56 PM, Triple B Brewing said:

Anyway The Shelter knocks out pretty good beers IMO and I thought the tucker was reasonable pub fare (it’s just unfortunate they didn’t make better use of their location and views when they designed it IMO), so pleased you got to enjoy it cobber. I would have joined ya there for a cold one and put a face to a name had I known, but all good, maybe next time 😉

@Triple B Brewing , had I known that this was your stomping ground I would have given you the heads up.  It would have been good to catch up for a chat and a beer or three.  Definitely next time or somewhere else out "on the road".  Cheers AL

• Thanks 1