Coopers Community

Today's Tastings - 2024

iBooz2

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

I found this really old can of Southark Bitter unopened in my Dad's shed. You can tell how old it is by the ring top pull and it's in fluid ounces instead of mills. I'm thinking it's late 60s early 70s beer

Poured and tasted beautiful. They just don't make beer to last like they did in the old days.

IMG_20240112_174644_HDR.jpg

WOW, that's incredible to still be ok at that age, awesome mate

Edited by Hoppy81
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

. I'm thinking it's late 60s early 70s beer

Yep, this ‘ll be a little controversial, but for me personally I’d reckon it would take that long for a Southwark to get close to being drinkable 😵‍💫

It was 1976, I was 16 driving over the Nullarbor we my best cobber (he’d just turned 17 and got his license) in his new (and first) car, a big two door, ragtop, automatic V8. Valiant coop - man, we were King of the Road. The plan was to make it to his uncle’s in the Barossa Valley, and then head into Victoria for a quick look around before turning around and heading back home to Perth, Western Australia.

Any who, I reckon I’ll remember this like it was yesterday until me last day on this earth. We’d made it across the dusty Nullarbor track and crossed into SA, the eight track was blarin’ but we’d run short of cold ones, so clearly the first and most important stop to make was at the first boozer we could find for more roadies and ice (yep, we’d sipped and driven our way across the border - I wouldn’t dream of doin the same these days, but there ya have it). So we pull into a bottle shop and the cost of Emu Export or Emu Bitter was outrageous, so I say to me mate, whatyareckon, and he comes back with a “let’s go local” so I say to the attendant (of course with a huge amount of confidence (being only 16) “We’ll have one cold box of West End and one of Southwark cans thanks mate”.

I can remember being no more than a mile down the road and rippin’ the top off a can of Southwark and takin’ a good gulp only for it to be brought straight back up and sprayed all over the passenger side of the windscreen - “what the uck is this cat’s p!ss” I exclaimed. Within another minute I had ripped off the top of a West End and thankfully we weren’t goin’ ta die of thirst while in SA 😂🤣😂

Having said all that - that’s pretty amazing that a 40+ year old beer presents like that 👏

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Yep, this ‘ll be a little controversial, but for me personally I’d reckon it would take that long for a Southwark to get close to being drinkable 😵‍💫

It was 1976, I was 16 driving over the Nullarbor we my best cobber (he’d just turned 17 and got his license) in his new (and first) car, a big two door, ragtop, automatic V8. Valiant coop - man, we were King of the Road. The plan was to make it to his uncle’s in the Barossa Valley, and then head into Victoria for a quick look around before turning around and heading back home to Perth, Western Australia.

Any who, I reckon I’ll remember this like it was yesterday until me last day on this earth. We’d made it across the dusty Nullarbor track and crossed into SA, the eight track was blarin’ but we’d run short of cold ones, so clearly the first and most important stop to make was at the first boozer we could find for more roadies and ice (yep, we’d sipped and driven our way across the border - I wouldn’t dream of doin the same these days, but there ya have it). So we pull into a bottle shop and the cost of Emu Export or Emu Bitter was outrageous, so I say to me mate, whatyareckon, and he comes back with a “let’s go local” so I say to the attendant (of course with a huge amount of confidence (being only 16) “We’ll have one cold box of West End and one of Southwark cans thanks mate”.

I can remember being no more than a mile down the road and rippin’ the top off a can of Southwark and takin’ a good gulp only for it to be brought straight back up and sprayed all over the passenger side of the windscreen - “what the uck is this cat’s p!ss” I exclaimed. Within another minute I had ripped off the top of a West End and thankfully we weren’t goin’ ta die of thirst while in SA 😂🤣😂

Having said all that - that’s pretty amazing that a 40+ year old beer presents like that 👏

Great story.  I loved it.

Reminds me of a mate who was stopped by the cops crossing from Victoria into SA on their way to Cooper Pedy.  The cops wanted to check they were not carrying any fruit.  The cops opened the boot to see eight slabs of beer.  They told them, on yer way boys, nothing to worry about here.

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

It is also easy to make @Kegory, especially all grain.

Apparently Little Creatures Pale Ale is inspired by the Sierra Nevada. I didn't do a side by side comparison but, yeah, they're very similar. I'll have to look up some recipes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Great story.  I loved it.

Reminds me of a mate who was stopped by the cops crossing from Victoria into SA on their way to Cooper Pedy.  The cops wanted to check they were not carrying any fruit.  The cops opened the boot to see eight slabs of beer.  They told them, on yer way boys, nothing to worry about here.

It was quite common to see Victorians bringing their own beer into SA years ago as they weren't fond of ours, it was the same in reverse because most SA blokes didn't like theirs.

Coopers seem to be more of a force nowadays & with all of the craft breweries around, it's almost unheard of these days.

• Like 4

On 1/12/2024 at 5:53 PM, Pale Man said:

I found this really old can of Southark Bitter unopened in my Dad's shed. You can tell how old it is by the ring top pull and it's in fluid ounces instead of mills. I'm thinking it's late 60s early 70s beer

Poured and tasted beautiful. They just don't make beer to last like they did in the old days.

IMG_20240112_174644_HDR.jpg

I'll tell the truth now, found the empty can along the rail track 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Visited Macalister Brewing in Smithfield and had a few yummies. Also took a few roadies.

Lattitude 17, a tropical Pale Ale

IMG_9802.thumb.jpeg.b81557eb83b4d8fd775a6193c33a7a47.jpeg

Instigator Amber Ale

IMG_9805.thumb.jpeg.d821b7728a667ad6238a3e39b2081c2b.jpeg

And a few roadies 😀

IMG_9806.thumb.jpeg.fafd3f6b5ca2c0d6fc15866e0d6fba69.jpeg

how I get them home on the plane is a different story 😂

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Visited Macalister Brewing in Smithfield and had a few yummies. Also took a few roadies.

Lattitude 17, a tropical Pale Ale

IMG_9802.thumb.jpeg.b81557eb83b4d8fd775a6193c33a7a47.jpeg

Instigator Amber Ale

IMG_9805.thumb.jpeg.d821b7728a667ad6238a3e39b2081c2b.jpeg

And a few roadies 😀

IMG_9806.thumb.jpeg.fafd3f6b5ca2c0d6fc15866e0d6fba69.jpeg

how I get them home on the plane is a different story 😂

Wrap them carefully in your check in luggage. I got a bottle send from Brazil this way

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Wrap them carefully in your check in luggage. I got a bottle send from Brazil this way

I don't want to sound like a party pooper but a mate of mine had a carton of beer implode in his checked luggage on a plane. Granted they were cans and not bottles but I just wanted to give a heads up before someone had a bad experience.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Beerdo said:

I don't want to sound like a party pooper but a mate of mine had a carton of beer implode in his checked luggage on a plane. Granted they were cans and not bottles but I just wanted to give a heads up before someone had a bad experience.

They would not have imploded but exploded.  The higher you go up the less the air pressure is but the pressure inside the cans stays the same as it was at ground level.  For every 1,000 ft you go up the air pressure reduces by 30 mb and the air temp decreases by 2 C.  The cans may have been in an unpressurised hold or could have frozen then split because of the high altitude.  It can be minus 40 or 50 C up there at 30,000 ft.

Most planes are pressurized including their cargo holds / baggage holds to replicate about 8,000 ft in altitude.  This is so there is still enough air pressure inside the aircraft to enable oxygen to naturally pass through your lung membranes and get into your blood when you breathe.  Not enough air pressure and you and everyone else on board will fall to sleep.  Fall asleep for too long and its game over red rover.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Beerdo said:

Bit of bad luck there I have had cans in my bag on planes plenty of times with no problems.

Where shipping is not possible they go on planes anyway. Not everything is transported by sea. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Bit of bad luck there I have had cans in my bag on planes plenty of times with no problems.

Where shipping is not possible they go on planes anyway. Not everything is transported by sea. 

Fair enough.
It was funny when it happened to my mate because that's what mates do....laugh at each other's misfortunes. LOL
But I just didn't want anyone here to suffer the same misfortune. All the best to you if you can transport them safely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Beerdo said:

Fair enough.
It was funny when it happened to my mate because that's what mates do....laugh at each other's misfortunes. LOL
But I just didn't want anyone here to suffer the same misfortune. All the best to you if you can transport them safely.

Even funnier if he did not have another change of clothes. 🤣

• Haha 2

@Beerdo

As iBooz2 said it probably depends how the cargo is pressurised etc.

Most of the big planes these days also look after the cargo areas because Australia post rent space. As well as passengers having valuable items. 

Bad luck for ur mate I guess the plane he was on didn't think the cargo important or was a problem.

I would laugh and stir him up as well, that's what mates are for

• Like 1
  • Haha 1