Coopers Community

Today's Tastings - 2024

iBooz2

12 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I'm not sure how this is classed as a stout. It tastes and looks nothing like one. Sweet perfume taste. Not flash. 

IMG_20240531_154916.jpg

mate i love a white stout .    A white stout is not meant to look dark at all.   its meant to look like a normal beer but has the tastes of a stout   they take out the dark roasted malts  from the grain bill and often replace  them with cold-steeped coffee, cacao nibs, and/or vanilla beans

Hawkers  did afine example of a white stout in 2022 and it was a ripper stout had everything you wanted in a stout  and was smooth as  and it was alot clearer then the one you have posted but  the oatmeal  would have given it that haze   in the one you had

I sorry you didnt go much on the white stout  but dont  disregard the style  as there can be some dam good white stouts about

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, ozdevil said:

mate i love a white stout .    A white stout is not meant to look dark at all.   its meant to look like a normal beer but has the tastes of a stout   they take out the dark roasted malts  from the grain bill and often replace  them with cold-steeped coffee, cacao nibs, and/or vanilla beans

Hawkers  did afine example of a white stout in 2022 and it was a ripper stout had everything you wanted in a stout  and was smooth as  and it was alot clearer then the one you have posted but  the oatmeal  would have given it that haze   in the one you had

I sorry you didnt go much on the white stout  but dont  disregard the style  as there can be some dam good white stouts about

I have tried the odd one, TBH they weren't anything special, but then there is nothing wrong trying different brews & experimenting.

The one I did like is not available as the brewery closed down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

My brother is in Japan, so he sent me a few beer photos for the forum. 

Asahi, Kirin, Sapporo and Suntory.

IMG_7174.jpeg

IMG_7244.jpeg

IMG_7309.jpeg

IMG_7421.jpeg

That glass looks very very downable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My brother is in Japan, so he sent me a few beer photos for the forum. 

Asahi, Kirin, Sapporo and Suntory.

IMG_7174.jpeg

IMG_7244.jpeg

IMG_7309.jpeg

IMG_7421.jpeg

I Don't mind Sapporo, very easy to drink.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2024 at 4:23 PM, Pale Man said:

I'm not sure how this is classed as a stout.

I had a white stout once..... should not be a thing

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, ben 10 said:

I had a white stout once..... should not be a thing

Totally agree ol sausage. Stout is visual as well as sensual ( taste )  That beer was neither. It was like sweet dish water. The stuff that gets passed off as beer these days is almost criminal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Totally agree ol sausage. Stout is visual as well as sensual ( taste )  That beer was neither. It was like sweet dish water. The stuff that gets passed off as beer these days is almost criminal.

The stuff that gets passed off as beer these days is almost criminal-

Don't get me started! Still not sure if I'm going to Beer and BBQ fest for that reason. I know what I like and I know the amazing local Adelaide breweries. Don't want to rant but stout is black. 

• Like 3

Hawkers From Yeast To West

The same beer but brewed with three different yeasts (you may find this interesting @jennyss)

IMG_20240601_193244330.thumb.jpg.58ad80cf651eb5f668307ffa5324335f.jpg

On the first pass I couldn't separate the aromas. On the second pass I picked up a slight candy/toffee apple (sans apple, just the coating) character in the Kveik brew. The Thiolised yeast seemed to produce a slightly fruitier aroma. The US-05 was a little more subdued than the other two (not much, just a little).

IMG_20240601_193643605.thumb.jpg.4f2b06a095f9e247d7ebd8d662b33d6a.jpg

Taste wise they are again pretty similar. The Kveik tastes a little more earthy (struggling for descriptors here), which kind of matches some of my previous reactions to Kveik beers. The Thiolised yeast version has perhaps a slightly herbally character (still struggling with descriptors). The US-05 version just tastes like a West Coast IPA. Compared to the others there isn't anything particularly distinctive that I can say about it.

Although the differences are minor I prefer the taste of the US-05 version. And I prefer the aroma of the Kveik version. Overall I would buy/drink the US-05 version before the Thiolised yeast version with the Kveik version in third place. *rankings may be altered at any point in the future on a whim.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I agree with you on this with the exception of the white stout. I am not a huge fan of it but then again, I am not a great stout fan to start with. I have the occasional one but I have never brewed a stout and I don't think I will in the foreseeable future. I prefer a nice porter, if it isn't too heavy or smoky.

But yes, what is sold as a beer these days is not what I understand to be beer. Yes, it is beer as it is made from grains and fermented but that isn't the point IMHO. I am fairly traditional when it comes to beer and while I dare to experiment, even outside of my comfort zone (Piña CoLager anyone?), I still shudder when I see some concoctions. WTF is a "Fruit basket Pilsner"? It goes against everything a Pils stands for. We're talking about beer here, not coffee. Then again, I wouldn't want a "dirty chai soy skinny latte" either. 

We're going through a time of weird food and beverage ideas. All the tasty chip flavours have disappeared (only the boring salted and the annoying salt and vinegar just don't want to die) and have been replaced with "Shredded Pork" flavour or "Cheeseburger", "Red Rooster" or <insert festy taste here> flavour. "Iced Vovo Twisties" anyone? Don't get me wrong, it's progress, it is necessary and we can't stop it and it gives us all much more choice. But if the loved and trusted flavours disappear because the hipsters want bold and beautiful, it is a problem for me. I don't wear suspenders and a white Tee under a red flannelette shirt, I don't have perfectly styled hair and no big bushy beard where not a single hair is out of place. I'm just a grumpy old fella, who just wants a tasty beer. Is that asking for too much? Well, if that is the case, I just keep making my own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Up in Brisbane visiting my father who is in hospital, after the visit the nephew dropped me into Fortitude Valley to sample a few craft micro breweries.

First stop Stone & Wood Brewery - Hazy Pale Ale, very nice off the tap. 

IMG_0247.jpeg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Second stop, Brew Dog Brewery just around the corner.

Punk XPA, very nice off the tap this one. 👍🍺

IMG_5157.jpeg

It's funny. It's right across the Valley station and every time I go to a concert, I practically walk past and have never been to the Valley BrewDog. Been to Murarrie, the one in Reykjavik, the one that used to be at Heathrow Terminal 4 but never the most convenient one 🙂 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Up in Brisbane visiting my father who is in hospital, after the visit the nephew dropped me into Fortitude Valley to sample a few craft micro breweries.

IMG_0247.jpeg

Up in Brisbane. That sounds soooooo far away for a half hour drive 😂

Hope your dad gets better but. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A wee Port [for medicinal purposes only] 😊

It's only 15c down by the sea but there is another reason, seriously I had a bad fall yesterday, tripped over at a mate's place on a dodgy cement tile & went straight down on the cement on my already crook knee. 

I'm already on pain killers so thinking this may also help.

X-Ray tomorrow so that sounds like fun.

☠️🦵

20240602_140947.thumb.jpg.583a1eb0a2012f50240c29df7c42b855.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Sad 5

IMG_0247.jpeg

Looks like a Nice Pale RD, all the best for your Dad. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

It's funny. It's right across the Valley station and every time I go to a concert, I practically walk past and have never been to the Valley BrewDog. Been to Murarrie, the one in Reykjavik, the one that used to be at Heathrow Terminal 4 but never the most convenient one 🙂 

We may have to meet up again @Aussiekraut

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

A wee Port [for medicinal purposes only] 😊

It's only 15c down by the sea but there is another reason, seriously I had a bad fall yesterday, tripped over at a mate's place on a dodgy cement tile & went straight down on the cement on my already crook knee. 

I'm already on pain killers so thinking this may also help.

X-Ray tomorrow so that sounds like fun.

☠️🦵

20240602_140947.thumb.jpg.583a1eb0a2012f50240c29df7c42b855.jpg

Hey mate , hope you are ok, best wishes 👍

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Thanks, mate, I will be OK, it is just something I didn't need as an old weightlifting injury left me with Acute Osteo Arthritis in the knee & falling down on the cement on it was not needed, especially at my age.

But a few painkillers & a few good old home brews are good medicine. 🍺

• Sad 1