Coopers Community

Whats in Your Fermenter - 2024?

6 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I put my rogers clone in the FV yesterday with Verdant yeast @Shamus O'Sean I found a tool on brewfather and I added 719g of DME mixed it with 2 litres of water and it gave me exactly the 12 points I was after

I love it.  Great use of the tools available.  How close did you get to the 719g? 😁

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Lime Champers has fermented and been bottled. took over 4 weeks in the FV.  ABV of 7%

It is clearing up well, I will be conditioning for around 3-4 months I think but may have to "sample" monthly to see. I am thinking as the warm weather comes around it should be about right.

The smell was good but with a hint (not an unpleasant one) of nail polish remover.

fizz.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, jennyss said:

Hi @Cult Of One, Is that interesting looking brew really a beer? What are the ingredients please?

@jennyss sadly no not a beer, I have a lime tree that produces 300+ per season so I looked around for a recipe to make lime wine and this is basically it. Its 100+ limes juiced and strained with sugar and water added along with yeast and some bicarb to adjust the PH so it didn't kill the yeast 

• Like 2

On 7/28/2024 at 11:52 AM, Cult Of One said:

The Lime Champers has fermented and been bottled. took over 4 weeks in the FV.  ABV of 7%

It is clearing up well, I will be conditioning for around 3-4 months I think but may have to "sample" monthly to see. I am thinking as the warm weather comes around it should be about right.

The smell was good but with a hint (not an unpleasant one) of nail polish remover.

fizz.jpg

Forgive my laughing emoji but at first glance of the label I thought it read "Lime Jizz".😆

• Haha 2

Put the COPA in the FV today I actually did something different on this one and have decided against dry hopping with cascade will be interesting how it's going to turn out. After kegging my rogers clone and then doing this one I'm happy how the day went.

20240729_162808.thumb.jpg.22ac4acffad39d33d6f5b76a3859ad21.jpg

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, Cult Of One said:

@jennyss sadly no not a beer, I have a lime tree that produces 300+ per season so I looked around for a recipe to make lime wine and this is basically it. Its 100+ limes juiced and strained with sugar and water added along with yeast and some bicarb to adjust the PH so it didn't kill the yeast 

I have a friend with a lime tree. I make lime marmalade and Indian lime pickle each year. Here is my heavy duty squeezer which I use to juice lemons, limes,  and mandarins.

20240730_064106[1].jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

I have a friend with a lime tree. I make lime marmalade and Indian lime pickle each year. Here is my heavy duty squeezer which I use to juice lemons, limes,  and mandarins.

20240730_064106[1].jpg

Awesome Jenny, that will outlast any modern appliance.

• Like 2

@jennyss

I have the exact same one but in "go fast red" . They are an absolute beast. However having done 100+ limes in one go the fun does dissipate lol.

I make loads of marmalade, dehydrated citrus for decoration on food and drinks, slice the limes into wedges and freeze to use a ice blocks, salted preserved limes, lemons and flourless orange and choc cakes  and anything else  I can to preserve and use these amazing things. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cult Of One said:

However having done 100+ limes in one go the fun does dissipate lol.

It's a bit like sanitising and rinsing PET bottles - you just have to get in the zone and stop thinking!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

After some procrastination, I put a few more beers in the fridges. The first cab of the rank is a Coopers APA K&B with Coopers commercial yeast, fermenting @3psi and 20C, the second is a bit of a concoction. It is based on a cube of Aussie Lager from the last double batch but I added 400g of dark DME and a hop tea made with Taiheke hops. So in essence, it's a dark and malty lager with some extra flavour hops. This one will ferment at 15psi and 18C using some of the MJ M76 yeast I had left. We shall see. 

image.thumb.jpeg.098775d771459172f7f44d74dc4fab6b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d82a409842a51af81ea0399195d1d0e4.jpeg

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

After some procrastination, I put a few more beers in the fridges. The first cab of the rank is a Coopers APA K&B with Coopers commercial yeast, fermenting @3psi and 20C, the second is a bit of a concoction. It is based on a cube of Aussie Lager from the last double batch but I added 400g of dark DME and a hop tea made with Taiheke hops. So in essence, it's a dark and malty lager with some extra flavour hops. This one will ferment at 15psi and 18C using some of the MJ M76 yeast I had left. We shall see. 

image.thumb.jpeg.098775d771459172f7f44d74dc4fab6b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d82a409842a51af81ea0399195d1d0e4.jpeg

Nice @Aussiekraut, my money is on the "dark and malty lager with some extra flavour hops" sounds absolutely delish - num, num. num 😋

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mixed my husband's Woolworths Lager extract this afternoon with 1xpkt BE2, 3tbsps LDM and 1tbsp sugar as  usual. Tested the OG 30 minutes later; and look at the cold break - so thick and 'clumpy'! OG was 1400 as usual. Edit: ha ha OG was 1040 as usual 😄

20240820_161208[1].jpg

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, jennyss said:

Mixed my husband's Woolworths Lager extract this afternoon with 1xpkt BE2, 3tbsps LDM and 1tbsp sugar as  usual. Tested the OG 30 minutes later; and look at the cold break - so thick and 'clumpy'! OG was 1400 as usual. Edit: ha ha OG was 1040 as usual 😄

20240820_161208[1].jpg

At 6.50am this morning the cold break has totally disappeared. There is sediment at the bottom of the FV. If this brew runs true to form, the FG will be 1008. 

16 hours ago, jennyss said:

20240820_161208[1].jpg

Jenny, it looks like the bits of malt that haven't been totally dissolved fully, do you use hot water to stir it in.

I always found it better to add the malt & then cold water to stir it thoroughly & of course hot water in the tin to clean it all up.

Looks like the yeast is doing its job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Jenny, it looks like the bits of malt that haven't been totally dissolved fully, do you use hot water to stir it in.

I always found it better to add the malt & then cold water to stir it thoroughly & of course hot water in the tin to clean it all up.

Looks like the yeast is doing its job.

Thanks @Classic Brewing Co, The extract and LDM was all mixed in - no lumps before adding the water to 23L. We mix the extract and any LDM etc with the first 2L of warm water. The 'cold break' has all gone this morning. My Coopers extract brews also go through a cold break stage; usually about 5-10 hours after mixing.  When this cold break appeared after only 30 minutes I was amazed! Oh the joys of a see through FV - better than a lava lamp any day!  

Back in 2022 I was stressing about the lumps appearing and I found out from Coopers FAQ that "Normally cold break forms in the brewery when the wort is cooled. However, our malt extracts are not allowed to cool before being concentrated to about 80% solids. At this density the cold break can only precipitate out once the beer kit is mixed with water." And now as you say, the yeast is doing its job!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Thanks @Classic Brewing Co, The extract and LDM was all mixed in - no lumps before adding the water to 23L. We mix the extract and any LDM etc with the first 2L of warm water. The 'cold break' has all gone this morning. My Coopers extract brews also go through a cold break stage; usually about 5-10 hours after mixing.  When this cold break appeared after only 30 minutes I was amazed! Oh the joys of a see through FV - better than a lava lamp any day!  

Back in 2022 I was stressing about the lumps appearing and I found out from Coopers FAQ that "Normally cold break forms in the brewery when the wort is cooled. However, our malt extracts are not allowed to cool before being concentrated to about 80% solids. At this density the cold break can only precipitate out once the beer kit is mixed with water." And now as you say, the yeast is doing its job!

I guess it the same as a lot of other things, if you were to watch the entire brewing process you would see many different things going on, probably the same as watching how cheese or sausages are made.

At the end of the day, it is the end result that matters.

Cheers.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

It will leave a lasting memory and you will find yourself doing it over and over again 😉

Until it goes wrong. Once 5 hours of work go down the gurgles, you re-think your strategy 😀 At least that is what I did. I moved to yeast starters and keeping some of the yeast before pitching. As long as you refresh the yeast every three or four months or so or go to freezing it, you have a sheer endless supply of yeast. 

Cheaper than buying yeast and safer than dirty batches imho. Although our mate @Pezzza would disagree. His PBFM method works like clockwork…lucky bugger 😀

• Like 3