Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

39 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

That second photo, is that a bath tub of sorts? seems perfect height to put the zilla on?

Yes, mate it is a bath, & I used 2 side panels from an old office desk & they fit perfectly but it is on the other side of the room & the power points are on the other, it is useful for storage, but I have never tested to see how much weight it will actually hold, I do agree though, it is a good height.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK, I have revised my brewing area, moved into the laundry, AL, note no extension cord (one of my neighbours is an electrician & he comes over for a beer & did mention that to me about that stuff) 

I will put up with the bending & just get on with it as I need more beer.

20230410_163126.jpg

That looks a lot better Phil and thanks for being so pro-active about the problems I saw and also thanks for not taking any offense to my "shock and awe comments".  I was very concerned you would do yourself an horrific injury.

Wish that I was a bit closer so I could assist with a setup / setup ideas that makes it easy for you.  You would want to brew AG all the time if its easier.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I do agree, but I was worried about my crook shoulder, but what the hell it is only for a short time to lift, twist & settle & of course after sparge it's going to be lighter anyway.

A beer usually fixes a pain anyway. Cheers.

Phil, if you lift the malt pipe slowly it allows it to drain somewhat and also stops that suction effect that seems to make the malt pipe and grains weigh more than it really does.  Give it a few moments to drain a fair bit and allow air to get down past the malt pipe and you will see (or more feel) what I mean.  Then it will be lighter and easier.  Don't try and lift it up the whole way and twist it into / onto the holding clips all in one motion.

Edited by iBooz2
typo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

That second photo, is that a bath tub of sorts? seems perfect height to put the zilla on?

Yes, mate it is a bath, & I used 2 side panels from an old office desk & they fit perfectly but it is on the other side of the room & the power points are on the other, it is useful for storage, but I have never tested to see how much weight it will actually hold, I do agree though, it is a good height.

• Like 1

BREW DAY (FROM HELL)

A nice early start for the All Grain Kit - American Pale Ale suddenly turned to disaster, I brought the BrewZilla up to Mashing Temperature 68c as per recipe, stirred in the grain & a handful of Rice Hulls, everything going fine - I thought 😬 20 mins into the mash I spotted a major error - can anyone see what is wrong here?

Look at picture 20230411_102102 - egad   NO MALT PIPE  Bugger!!!  panic stations.

After the obvious mistake I thought OK just shut down & have a good think,

Solution;

1. Drain us much wort into a Hot Cube using a strainer & then scoop out the grain a place in a small craft FV.

2. Rinse out grain from BrewZilla replace bottom screen & return grain to BrewZilla, I had already put the pro-screen in the bottom of the malt pipe so all good, so I returned the grain back in to the BZ leaving the malt pipe sitting alongside me.

Lot's of offensive & indecent language followed by another bout of profanity & then I had to repeat the process. 😠

As you can see the 2nd mash is underway & won't be long for sparging.

I am really going to enjoy a few beers after.

20230411_094700.jpg

20230411_095016.jpg

20230411_095720.jpg

20230411_102102.jpg

20230411_102118.jpg

20230411_115939.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

20 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

BREW DAY (FROM HELL)

A nice early start for the All Grain Kit - American Pale Ale suddenly turned to disaster, I brought the BrewZilla up to Mashing Temperature 68c as per recipe, stirred in the grain & a handful of Rice Hulls, everything going fine - I thought 😬 20 mins into the mash I spotted a major error - can anyone see what is wrong here?

Look at picture 20230411_102102 - egad   NO MALT PIPE  Bugger!!!  panic stations.

Solution;

1. Drain us much wort into a Hot Cube using a strainer & then scoop out the grain a place in a small craft FV.

2. Rinse out grain from BrewZilla replace bottom screen & return grain to BrewZilla, I had already put the pro-screen in the bottom of the malt pipe so all good, so I returned the grain back in to the BZ leaving the malt pipe sitting alongside me.

Lot's of offensive & indecent language followed by another bout of profanity & then I had to repeat the process. 😠

20230411_094700.jpg

20230411_095016.jpg

20230411_095720.jpg

20230411_102102.jpg

20230411_102118.jpg

20230411_115939.jpg

Bugger mate, oh well you got it sorted in the end. 

‘Lots to think about on an All Grain brew day I guess. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers RD, as you know there is no good giving up or panicking, it all works out in the end.

Yeah I have a fairly thorough process in my brew day task order, but that took some time as to what worked best for me etc. 

Everyones premises & space constraints differ, hope the beer works out well and look forward to the tasting mate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah I have a fairly thorough process in my brew day task order, but that took some time as to what worked best for me etc. 

Everyones premises & space constraints differ, hope the beer works out well and look forward to the tasting mate. 

Cheers RD, this is the first time I have brewed in the laundry & it is a lot easier; I managed the malt pipe easily in spite of a crook shoulder, it worked out well as I can drain it in the laundry sink right alongside me, then the birds get the spent grain.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers RD, this is the first time I have brewed in the laundry & it is a lot easier; I managed the malt pipe easily in spite of a crook shoulder, it worked out well as I can drain it in the laundry sink right alongside me, then the birds get the spent grain.

Good work mate 👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Looks good mate, how is the Brewzilla going ?

Getting close 2nd hop addition, sitting on HH with just the 1900 w element going, it's behaving well apart from pilot error this morning, I feel like a right d****** for the stuffers, but I overcome it.

about 20 mins to finish the boil, last additions & it will be cubed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Finally, after a stressful day, I can have a few beers. Brew all cubed up & it finished spot on for my target volume, so at least that went right. Hopefully it can be transferred to the FV & set to 20cx for 14 days & then kegged.

20230411_155128.jpg

Wow, long and stressful day @Classic Brewing Co ! Glad that you got there in the end. How did your gravity end up?

Enjoy a beer or 2, and relax😃😃😃

• Like 3

@Classic Brewing Co well done with that I think that is you're first AG since i joined the site. I know you had a break because of shoulder.

With everything that happened you done well. I admit I'm the sort of person that may have went there goes 20 bucks of grain and put in the bath tub.  After all the swear words of course you done well enjoy the beers 🍻 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Wow, long and stressful day @Classic Brewing Co ! Glad that you got there in the end. How did your gravity end up?

Enjoy a beer or 2, and relax😃😃😃

After all of the excitement I forgot to take one, I suppose when it's in the FV I could, I didn't bother with Brew Father apart from getting water volumes, temps, times etc.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

BREW DAY (FROM HELL)

Solution;

20230411_094700.jpg

20230411_095016.jpg

20230411_095720.jpg

20230411_102102.jpg

20230411_102118.jpg

20230411_115939.jpg

If it makes you feel any better I did exactly the same thing my second brew I think.

Saved it like you did and the beer turned out fine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

If it makes you feel any better I did exactly the same thing my second brew I think.

Saved it like you did and the beer turned out fine.

Yeah, looking back it was just an oversight, I had spent the day before cleaning up/sanitising & getting everything organised for this morning.

I sorta feel like a Wally but to do it twice it must mean I am a Wally. 😁

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, looking back it was just an oversight, I had spent the day before cleaning up/sanitising & getting everything organised for this morning.

I sorta feel like a Wally but to do it twice it must mean I am a Wally. 😁

All part of the AG brewing journey mate, Where’s Wally agrees too. 🤣

Only jokes mate. 

D3CE593C-52A7-4532-A8C1-CA332DED666B.jpeg

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

All part of the AG brewing journey mate, Where’s Wally agrees too. 🤣

Only jokes mate. 

D3CE593C-52A7-4532-A8C1-CA332DED666B.jpeg

All good mate, I have a had a few beers & now getting happily involved in a red whilst preparing a Smoked Cod & special fried rice dish.

Always look on the bright side of life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

BREW DAY (FROM HELL)

Solution;

even the best of brewers have done that,  watched gash from the homebrew network  do it,  but he didn't do what you did just continued on with it  but if i remember rightly  he did the vouloff method (cant remember it was a fair while ago)

but hey  atleast at the end of the day beer was made and beer was enjoyed

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

even the best of brewers have done that,  watched gash from the homebrew network  do it,  but he didn't do what you did just continued on with it  but if i remember rightly  he did the vouloff method (cant remember it was a fair while ago)

but hey  atleast at the end of the day beer was made and beer was enjoyed

It was stressful at the time, but I will make sure it doesn't happen again, I have another brew ready so tomorrow I will clean up & get another AG going this week.

• Like 3

On 4/11/2023 at 1:08 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

You just have to know how to help yourself 🙂 

I once had a similar issue. When I lifted the malt pipe out of the kettle, the bottom screen fell out and dumped all the grain in the wort. What a mess that was 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1