Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

Brew day or fail thread you tell me???

Yesterday I planned to make a Guinness clone which I have been keen to do for a little while and thought I will make it for st pats day and put on nitro.

So I measure out the grains pale malt check, roasted malt check and finally flaked barley which I had in stock 1.2kg’s perfect! I tipped it all into the mill (I know don’t need to crush flaked barley) start crushing! Wtf ants are coming out of the grain this has never happened before. Look into the container of flaked barley ants had got into it! I was like what do I do?? I ditched it and also the container I keep my flaked barley in. 

Plan B I need a stout for St Pats day!

I have a truck load of oats so Oatmeal Stout it is. Problem is i used too much roasted malt and didn’t have enough chocolate malt for my oatmeal stout so I subbed in brown malt for a portion of the the chocolate malt and also carafa III for the roast!

Smooth sailing after that hit my numbers exactly and pitched the s04 today! Samples tastes pretty darn good. Disappointed I didn’t get to have a crack at the Guinness, guess   I will have to put up with oat meal instead tough life can’t wait and be interested to see what it’s like!

7DA7764E-E5E3-40DB-9FAF-8EAD3E6AF8C3.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, beach_life said:

2 packets of Notto - watch out, your house may be in danger

Two packets too much beachy? Considering the 1084 OG.

Notty is high performance though, if I can get away with one packet I will.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beach_life said:

Probably go both, watch the temp though - that will get hot

Thanks. I'm still waiting to pitch. I'll let it get down to about  22, pitch, and aim for a 16 degree ferment.

Apparently this yeast can go as low as 10 degrees. 

• Like 3

I seem to be using all sorts of bit and pieces lately. I don't know how this will turn out but the brew day went well:

IBU : 30 (Tinseth)
BU/GU : 0.57
Color : 10 EBC
Carbonation : 2.4 CO2-vol
Pre-Boil Gravity : 1.041
Original Gravity : 1.053
Final Gravity : 1.013

Fermentables (6.22 kg)
4.5 kg - Pale Ale Finest Maris Otter 5 EBC (7...
700 g - HERITAGE RYE 6 EBC (11.3%)
515 g - Carapils/Carafoam 3.9 EBC (8.3%)
500 g - Munich I 15 EBC (8.1%)
Hops (115 g)
60 min - 20 g - Magnum - 12% (27 IBU)
Hop Stand
20 min hopstand @ 80 °C
20 min - 30 g - Lemondrop - 6% (3 IBU)
Dry Hops
2 days - 50 g - Super Pride - 14.25%
2 days - 15 g - Lemondrop - 6%

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I seem to be using all sorts of bit and pieces lately. I don't know how this will turn out but the brew day went well:

IBU : 30 (Tinseth)
BU/GU : 0.57
Color : 10 EBC
Carbonation : 2.4 CO2-vol
Pre-Boil Gravity : 1.041
Original Gravity : 1.053
Final Gravity : 1.013

Fermentables (6.22 kg)
4.5 kg - Pale Ale Finest Maris Otter 5 EBC (7...
700 g - HERITAGE RYE 6 EBC (11.3%)
515 g - Carapils/Carafoam 3.9 EBC (8.3%)
500 g - Munich I 15 EBC (8.1%)
Hops (115 g)
60 min - 20 g - Magnum - 12% (27 IBU)
Hop Stand
20 min hopstand @ 80 °C
20 min - 30 g - Lemondrop - 6% (3 IBU)
Dry Hops
2 days - 50 g - Super Pride - 14.25%
2 days - 15 g - Lemondrop - 6%

yeast?

19 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

yeast?

It will be Nottingham, when the wort cools down enough. It was cubed and it just went into the ferment fridge with the wort @ around 30° so some way to go till pitching temp.

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

It will be Nottingham, when the wort cools down enough. It was cubed and it just went into the ferment fridge with the wort @ around 30° so some way to go till pitching temp.

Large super pride dry hop is that normal for you? If anything like POR it surprises me people use it as dry hop very strong flavours not like anything else.

• Like 1

Brew day today was Bent's Poke Cranking Shaft IPA.  The third time I have made this one.  Today I nailed the numbers and got an extra 800ml in the FV.

• 27 Litre batch (actually 27.8 Litres), including 5 Litre top up (I brew a slightly concentrated wort, then water it down to get greater volume in the FV).
  • 5.8% ABV (OG 1.053 {Predicted & actual} - FG 1.009 {Predicted})
  • 13 EBC
  • 37 IBU
  • 4.67kg Coopers Premium Ale Malt
  • 840g Maris Otter
  • 280g Caramel Hell
  • 240g Caramel Munich 1
  • 4ml Lactic Acid (Got the Mash pH to 5.4)
  • 27g Simcoe 30 minute boil
  • 46g Citra, 45g Ekuanot, 42g Centennial, 26g Simcoe 15 minute hopstand at 77°C (After the 15 minutes, I cooled the wort down to around 60°C and left it at that, with the hopstand hops still in the wort, while I transferred the wort to the FV.  On tasting a sample, I think it might be nicely more bitter than my previous versions)
  • 53g Citra, 45g Ekuanot, 53g Centennial, 44g Simcoe dry hop for 2 -3 days
  • Water chemicals for a Hoppy profile
  • US-05 (6th generation Otto Von Blotto method overbuild)
  • Fermenting at 18°C
  • I will add Isinglass and Polyclar to this when I cold crash it

I did a 2 step starter for the yeast.  The 200 billion cells I made in December needed a kick along.  Well, maybe they didn't.  I created a Yeast Beast.  The second step climbed out of the flask during the night.  Quite strange because it was only a 1.8 Litre starter in a 5 Litre flask.  The first step was a 1.5 L starter and was well contained in the flask.  Thankfully not too much spillage.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Brew day today was Bent's Poke Cranking Shaft IPA.  The third time I have made this one.  Today I nailed the numbers and got an extra 800ml in the FV.

• 27 Litre batch (actually 27.8 Litres), including 5 Litre top up (I brew a slightly concentrated wort, then water it down to get greater volume in the FV).
  • 5.8% ABV (OG 1.053 {Predicted & actual} - FG 1.009 {Predicted})
  • 13 EBC
  • 37 IBU
  • 4.67kg Coopers Premium Ale Malt
  • 840g Maris Otter
  • 280g Caramel Hell
  • 240g Caramel Munich 1
  • 4ml Lactic Acid (Got the Mash pH to 5.4)
  • 27g Simcoe 30 minute boil
  • 46g Citra, 45g Ekuanot, 42g Centennial, 26g Simcoe 15 minute hopstand at 77°C (After the 15 minutes, I cooled the wort down to around 60°C and left it at that, with the hopstand hops still in the wort, while I transferred the wort to the FV.  On tasting a sample, I think it might be nicely more bitter than my previous versions)
  • 53g Citra, 45g Ekuanot, 53g Centennial, 44g Simcoe dry hop for 2 -3 days
  • Water chemicals for a Hoppy profile
  • US-05 (6th generation Otto Von Blotto method overbuild)
  • Fermenting at 18°C
  • I will add Isinglass and Polyclar to this when I cold crash it

I did a 2 step starter for the yeast.  The 200 billion cells I made in December needed a kick along.  Well, maybe they didn't.  I created a Yeast Beast.  The second step climbed out of the flask during the night.  Quite strange because it was only a 1.8 Litre starter in a 5 Litre flask.  The first step was a 1.5 L starter and was well contained in the flask.  Thankfully not too much spillage.

Nice one mate, that one is on my to do list as well!

• Like 3

Part one of my lager vs ale experiment. 

Today it is the lager's turn, in 4 weeks, I'll do the ale, so they're both ready around the same time.

This one is based on my Bitsa Pale Ale, which, made up from leftover grains at the time, isn't a bad beer at all. 

1.9kg Voyager Veloria
1.3kg Weyermann Premium Pilsener
1.1kg Bestmalz RedX
700g Barrett Burston Wheat
40g Azacca 11.6% @60 
30g Azacca 11.6 20min hopstand @80C
0.5 Whirlfloc after hop stand
Yeast will be trusty old dubbya in the shape of MJ M76

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Aussiekraut are they new hops? good for a Lager/Pilsner style by looks of it?

Nah, I think they've been around for a while but aren't common. 

https://www.hopslist.com/hops/dual-purpose-hops/azacca/

I am hoping they bring something to the table in the Lager. They're a dual-use hop, so I'm hopeful the late hop brings in some flavours. They work well in the ale version. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Nah, I think they've been around for a while but aren't common. 

https://www.hopslist.com/hops/dual-purpose-hops/azacca/

I am hoping they bring something to the table in the Lager. They're a dual-use hop, so I'm hopeful the late hop brings in some flavours. They work well in the ale version. 

There are so many hops around lately I can't keep up. Also I think it's more common now to add traditional ale fruity hops to lagers. I do enjoy a late addition of cascade in a Lager. Cascade Lager 🤣

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Nice traditional Hefeweizen. 50% Wheat 50% Pilsner. Lallemand Munich Classic yeast.

20230315_125627.jpg

I was looking for a stuck sparge because I milled the bejeesus out of all the grain. My efficiency has been shocking with Weyerman, I find it a hard and inconsistent. Stuck sparges, efficiency numbers all over the shop.  I never had any issues with Gladfield Malts  @Hoppy81

Three little handfulls of rice hulls i got trough today.  Recirc pump was cranked back.

I'm not posting this just to carry on, just telling the truth. When i was a beginner obviously the Hopster put me ont Gladfield and I never had any issues whatsoever.

I'm going back to Gladfield and Sunshine In A Glass. I was guided. I went off that track. I'll get back on Gladdy.

https://www.gladfieldmalt.co.nz/

@Hoppy81 has a nice range.

https://threechinsbrewing.com.au/collections/grain

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I was looking for a stuck sparge because I milled the bejeesus out of all the grain. My efficiency has been shocking with Weyerman, I find it a hard and inconsistent. Stuck sparges, efficiency numbers all over the shop.  I never had any issues with Gladfield Malts  @Hoppy81

Three little handfulls of rice hulls i got trough today.  Recirc pump was cranked back.

I'm not posting this just to carry on, just telling the truth. When i was a beginner obviously the Hopster put me ont Gladfield and I never had any issues whatsoever.

I'm going back to Gladfield and Sunshine In A Glass. I was guided. I went off that track. I'll get back on Gladdy.

https://www.gladfieldmalt.co.nz/

@Hoppy81 has a nice range.

https://threechinsbrewing.com.au/collections/grain

I've tried most malts and I swear by Gladfield being the most consistent, cheers mate.

Look forward to seeing the Hefeweizen in a glass mate 🍻

• Like 1