Coopers Community

What's on The Menu -2023

iBooz2

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

Made hungry by all the yummy pizzas on this thread recently; last night was pizza night at our house. On a home-made base of half plain and half wholemeal flour, we put tomato paste, mozzarella, mushroom, ham, salami, olives, capers, baby dill pickles topped off with more mozzarella. 

Nice @jennyss do you deliver? 

• Haha 3

Boo Hoo,

I was supposed to cook Filipino pork skewers tonight but a total fire ban here today (Melbourne) so I'm not allowed to fire up the charcoal BBQ.  Thought about doing them in the Weber family Q but the marinade and basting sauce makes such a mess and it's hard work cleaning up afterward.  Charcoal is the only way to go with these IMO.   Plus I just bought two new grill plates for the Weber so a bit gun shy on that idea so it will be left-overs and maybe some garlic bread to fill up on.

The pork bits that I have had marinating in the fridge since this morning will probably be falling apart by the time I get them on the skewers tomorrow night.  See how we go.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

So no more bloody left overs for me tonight, it was Filipino pork skewers or bust !!!

Boiled up some rice to soak up the Filipino sauce and also grilled some peach halves and pineapple rings in the Weber family Q as a side to compliment the meal.

A double batch of home made Filipino sauce did the trick and this time I cooked the skewers a little slower over the charcoal until pork was 71 C whist I was sipping on some COPA beers.  Tender and juicy as so a very tasty and satisfying meal tonight.  A glass or two of red with dinner and all is well in the world.

Filipino pork skewer raw - resisized.png

Filipino pork skewers done - resisized.png

Filipino pork skewers on rice with grilled peach and pineapple - resisized.png

• Like 7

10 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

So no more bloody left overs for me tonight, it was Filipino pork skewers or bust !!!

Boiled up some rice to soak up the Filipino sauce and also grilled some peach halves and pineapple rings in the Weber family Q as a side to compliment the meal.

A double batch of home made Filipino sauce did the trick and this time I cooked the skewers a little slower over the charcoal until pork was 71 C whist I was sipping on some COPA beers.  Tender and juicy as so a very tasty and satisfying meal tonight.  A glass or two of red with dinner and all is well in the world.

Filipino pork skewer raw - resisized.png

Filipino pork skewers done - resisized.png

Filipino pork skewers on rice with grilled peach and pineapple - resisized.png

Looks blaaaaaarrrdy awesome @iBooz2 Al,  love the charcoal thingy too mate - where's that from?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A day in the kitchen with SWMBO. Twas productive. Some home made pawn and butchers pork, carrot, ginger, Shiitake mushroom steamed shumai and home made Thai snags.

The bride introduced me to the combo of thinly sliced/peeled fresh young ginger and sausages. (Especially the home made sort) It's a thing in Thailand apparently. The small Thia sausage they make over there pairs extremely well with freshly sliced young ginger

So the Aussie in me thought why not whack the snagger in a roll and add the ginger. Viola! A match made in heaven. Topped with home made chilli sauce and the job's done. I would suggest giving this combo a crack, I promise you won't be disappointed.

331773599_948294509675110_385495267450930060_n.jpg

331792596_1212045079415446_7962182355272260372_n.jpg

331740898_1892289214468738_1706802911441712749_n.jpg

331746514_584440453545320_5843318339055889780_n.jpg

331687522_898834374496220_3616301466047836731_n.jpg

331738148_1530814960755443_8989233905993886731_n.jpg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:
36 minutes ago, Mickep said:

A day in the kitchen with SWMBO. Twas productive. Some home made pawn and butchers pork, carrot, ginger, Shiitake mushroom steamed shumai and home made Thai snags.

Good stuff Mick, nice stuff for Saturday Tucker with a few Ales.

Yep, hit the spot to be sure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

They look absolutely amazing! Beautiful colour afyer cooking too 👍👍👍

15 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

A glass or two of red with dinner and all is well in the world.

Yeah well, ain’t that the problem ?

🤣

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mickep said:

So the Aussie in me thought why not whack the snagger in a roll and add the ginger. Viola! A match made in heaven. Topped with home made chilli sauce and the job's don

Wow! Now there’s an idea! 👍🐖

Outstanding stuff Mick!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 8:05 AM, Mickep said:

Looks blaaaaaarrrdy awesome @iBooz2 Al,  love the charcoal thingy too mate - where's that from?

@Mickep got it from catch.  It was advertised as SS but that turned out to be Bull Sheet as it was just ordinary duragal.  I complained to catch and wanted my money back but tough titties - no response from them.  I see lately that catch is actually describing some of the charcoal BBQ as gal so my email must have had some effect to remove false advertising.  In the meantime, mine has gone all rusty and looks terrible.

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, jennyss said:

@stquinto, Not sure if I've commented before; but I love that knife - the handle and the blade are very striking.

Thanks Jenny, yes, it is a beauty. I have (over the years) bought a collection from a blacksmith in London. I even went on a knife-sharpening course there.

They don't come cheap but if you look after them they'll last a lifetime. Funny that although I have different shaped blades I tend to always use the Japanese-style Nakiri (like a cleaver I suppose).

https://blenheimforge.co.uk/

• Like 3