Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

Enjoying Stouts in the moment, so I whipped up a last Stout for this season. BigW had a sale on, all fresh cans with 2 years shelf live. 

• Coopers Extra Stout can x2
  • BE3                                1kg
  • LDM                           500gr
  • Light Muscovado sugar 1kg
  • Double Ristretto coffee
  • Kit yeast  x2

OG is 1096, might have exaggerated with my fermentable. What can I expect in FG? Filled the FV to 20l

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Enjoying Stouts in the moment, so I whipped up a last Stout for this season. BigW had a sale on, all fresh cans with 2 years shelf live. 

• Kit yeast  x2

OG is 1096, might have exaggerated with my fermentable. What can I expect in FG? Filled the FV to 20l

Looks like an Imperial Stout

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

• Kit yeast  x2

That's a Big stout, could end up with ABV of around %11 in the bottle!

Leave a few for next winter, be interesting to see how much it changes with 8 months of age.

🍻

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

• Kit yeast  x2

With that OG 14g yeast may struggle.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

• Kit yeast  x2

God damn haha. Definitely add another 2 x 7g packets of yeast mate, without inputting your recipe into anything, i would think an FG of around 1.030 would be where it will finish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

God damn haha. Definitely add another 2 x 7g packets of yeast mate, without inputting your recipe into anything, i would think an FG of around 1.030 would be where it will finish.

Added another two packets of 7gr Coopers yeast. Let’s see how it will turn out. I thought it would need more yeast,  it I was waiting for some advice. Thank you all.

• Like 5

Just put on my next lager (one more to go after this).

Coopers Euro Lager can

1.5kg Maltexo

100g dextrose

20g Kohatu hops boil 10 min, another 16g flame out 10 min

Will probably add 25g Nelson Sauvin dry hop later

Will start with the 7g can yeast (the old, real lager yeast).

23l, OG 1.038

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Maybe I should rename this thread to “What is not in your fermenter”, ha ha. When I left for work this morning Theresa’s no activity at all, coming back it was a different story. Luckily I had an overflow tube ready. You could have warned me, ha ha

IMG_7530.jpeg

IMG_7532.jpeg

You created a monster.

I didn't think about it but that does remind me. I asked some questions about that a month or so ago. Apparently if you use a lot of dark malts (two cans of stout, tick) or you have a high OG (1.096, tick) then you are likely to have the krausen crawling out of the fermenter. Well, the proof is in the pudding, I guess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Maybe I should rename this thread to “What is not in your fermenter”, ha ha. When I left for work this morning Theresa’s no activity at all, coming back it was a different story. Luckily I had an overflow tube ready. You could have warned me, ha ha

IMG_7530.jpeg

IMG_7532.jpeg

Yeah, that's a pretty big brew with all of those fermentables & yeast, you could have done with a bigger vessel.

When I saw the ingredients I thought, wow, there's gunna be trouble, but as long as you can constrain the monster it should be OK.

👾

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

IMG_7530.jpeg

IMG_7532.jpeg

thats where pressure fermenting comes in handy   it can lower the krausen alot more .

big stouts are known for this 

but i hope you havent lost to much of the brew

• Like 4

Trendy Trousers Amber Ale

Made this one last year and it was my favorite Amber so far, time to have another go at it.

This time I had most of the ingredients on hand, so it's close to the listed Recipe.

Pale Ale can & 1.3k Light Dry Malt

150g each of Roasted Barley and Light Crystal Malt, cold steeped for 24 hours.

300g Maltodextrin

30g Galaxy hops boiled for 15 min.

US-05 yeast

• Like 3